Cpvc Turreted Crossbow

Part II of my Crossbow series

4 replies to this topic

#1 Z4

Z4

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:38 PM

This is an addition to my original CPVC Crossbow modification (there's a link in the sig). I like the modification, but desired a higher ROF. This is my solution. The turret I constructed is similar to BobaFan's and Rork's, but it's different enough, and I've never seen this applied to a Crossbow. My main aim was to produce a interchangeable turret system that did not include a large range drop (>5').

It is assumed at the beginning of this writeup that Part I has been completed.

Materials:
1/2" CPVC
1/2" CPVC endcap
3/4" CPVC
1/2" PVC
1/2" PVC couplers (2)
#9 O-ring
Loctite Epoxy Putty
Cable ties
Hot glue
Duct tape
1/8" polycarbonate (opt. but strongly suggested)

Tools:
PVC style pipe cutters
Dremel
Cutting wheel attachment
Grinding attachment
Hot glue gun
Screwdriver

Here we go!

Start off by putting a small length of PVC into one end of a coupling. Repeat this step for the other coupling.
Posted Image
Using a Dremel, grind out the ID of the PVC for each coupling until 1/2" CPVC slides through it smoothly.
Posted Image
Grind down the OD of the 3/4"CPVC until it can be inserted into the other end of the PVC coupling. The piece should be about 2 1/2" long.
Posted Image
You now have the completed inner part of your turret.
Posted Image
Take a 10.5" piece of 1/2" CPVC, line it up as pictured, and cut a notch out of 1/2 the circumference.
Posted Image
Now take the Dremel to the front of your Crossbow ( :D ) It should look about like this. (Mine is a little big, there used to be an internal 2k integration and the barrel was a little below the new hole)
Posted Image
Now using liberal amounts of hot glue and cable ties, attach the axis to the plunger tube/coupler. I used a few small 1/8" polycarbonate scraps for additional reinforcement, and I strongly suggest doing so.
Posted Image
Posted Image
You can now put the internals back in and close up the gun. (I didn't but I didn't know. You can).
Posted Image
Cut a 2 3/8" piece of 1/2" CPVC. This is the "bridge."
Posted Image
Stick the "bridge" into the coupling, and add the #9 O-ring. Use another piece of 1/2" to tap it in better. I'm going to glue the O-ring in because it kept falling out, see what works best for you.
Posted Image
THE TURRET!!! It can have up to seven barrels. I find six to be a perfect balance though.
Posted Image
It is removable to be rear loading and clippable.
Posted Image
On the 'bow:
Posted Image
The Crossbow has a Falcon Super Strap. I really suggest putting one of these on each and every primary you own, they're awesome. I also printed out a original Nerf sticker to put on the side. I love it.

Advancement is an easy motion. I find that I can get off one shot every 1.25 seconds or so.
Posted Image

Ranges (fired flat at shoulder height) are in the high seventies and low eighties. My Crossbow seems to have bad ranges, I'm still experimenting with barrel lengths and types.

Questions, comments...?

Edited by .Z4., 13 September 2008 - 12:46 PM.

Z4 of the NIC
"We are here to have fun with the toys we love in a civilized and friendly manner."- Talio

#2 Renegademilitia15

Renegademilitia15

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 12:16 AM

Wow, nice ingenuitive turret idea. I can't really think of any other comment except I am curious what the range decrease is.
Singled RFS
FA_24's response to Ice's back pain thread:

I used to have that problem until I got circumcised. 15 pounds later I was able to stand up straight.

#3 Nonsense Man

Nonsense Man

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:44 AM

Why would the range decrease. It is the same thing as a couplered crossbow just with the barrels made into a turret.
QUOTE(1lastnerfgun @ Apr 19 2008, 08:39 AM) View Post

40 shots for 40 cocks

#4 Z4

Z4

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 12:46 PM

First post updated with completed turret and ranges.

Renegademilitia: The range decrease appears to be no more than 5', which is what I was hoping for. I'm still not that happy with the ranges though, I'm going to be doing some more tweaking.

Nonsense: The barrel doesn't actually nest over the air output hole. There's a short bridge, but the O-ring nearly eliminates leaking.
Z4 of the NIC
"We are here to have fun with the toys we love in a civilized and friendly manner."- Talio

#5 Guest_Killakit_*

Guest_Killakit_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2008 - 04:36 PM

Nice turret I love the look of that when it is put on the coupler. Another great writeup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users