Minor Request

longshot trigger catch

22 replies to this topic

#1 Daecu

Daecu

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 01:25 PM

I searched for this and as I figured, couldn't find it. I seem to have misplaced the trigger catch for my longshot (I'm prepared for the whole, "don't loose it next time" speeches to come). Anyways, I was wondering if someone could give me the measurements for it, I have access to a laser printer at high school and could easily replace the piece there. I'd really appreciate it if someone was willing to take a moment and either draw it up for post the measures! Thanks in advance ;)

#2 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:19 PM

I searched for this and as I figured, couldn't find it. I seem to have misplaced the trigger catch for my longshot (I'm prepared for the whole, "don't loose it next time" speeches to come). Anyways, I was wondering if someone could give me the measurements for it, I have access to a laser printer at high school and could easily replace the piece there. I'd really appreciate it if someone was willing to take a moment and either draw it up for post the measures! Thanks in advance ;)

A laser printer? You want to make the catch out of paper?

If someone else doesn't do it first, I'll get you catch measurements tonight when I get home.

#3 Maeric

Maeric

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:40 PM

I think he means the Rapid Prototyping machines... I think that's what he's thinking anyway. Instead of ink, the squirt some kind of plastic and fill in the area around it with some kind of powder. So in essence it is a printer.
Active on H3Artificer as Halacar. GT: Halacar send me an invite if you wanna forge.
I'm amazing at Forza3! I destroyed the engine of a 2mil C car by downshifting! YAY!
I hate you. And all noobs who are like "OMFG i r liek, glued sh1t 2 shit. jak offf ma ego. NAOW!"

#4 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:42 PM

I highly doubt that he has a rapid prototyper at his high school. He means that he'll print out a shape of it and cut it out of plexi or something.

I could just send you one of my extras for the cost of shipping though if you want.
Teehee.

#5 doubleshot

doubleshot

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:44 PM

I highly doubt that he has a rapid prototyper at his high school. He means that he'll print out a shape of it and cut it out of plexi or something.

I could just send you one of my extras for the cost of shipping though if you want.

My vocational school does. I take diesel tech. though, so I'm not allowed to use it.
92% of people make up statistics. If you're one of the 8% who don't, put this in your signature

#6 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:21 PM

May I ask why you need only the dimensions for the catch? Did you lose it or is it broken? If it's only broken, it might be easier to fix it.

Nonetheless, here are some dimensions to get you started and I'm working on a Rhino draft if you're interested.

Posted Image

I know that's super-ugly, but I just did it right in photobucket.

More stuff:

-It's 5/32" thick
-The hole that the plunger rod goes into is curved at such a tiny angle that I am unable to measure it with my feeble tools.
-The stub that rests on the trigger tapers off at about a 45 degree angle. This picture should explain better:
Posted Image

Edited by BlackFox, 12 September 2008 - 03:38 PM.

"Until we meet in the place where there is no darkness"
-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

Think that piece is beyond repair? Think again!

#7 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:31 PM

May I ask why you need only the dimensions for the catch? Did you lose it or is it broken? If it's only broken, it might be easier to fix it.

Read the original post?

I seem to have misplaced the trigger catch for my longshot (I'm prepared for the whole, "don't loose it next time" speeches to come)

That's a good diagram, definitely useful. Thanks!

Edited by hereticorp, 12 September 2008 - 03:33 PM.

#8 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:35 PM

Read the original post?

I seem to have misplaced the trigger catch for my longshot (I'm prepared for the whole, "don't loose it next time" speeches to come)

Whoops. Sorry. I spent too much time editing and forgot. Typical.

I think I need a hug. No one did this for me when I asked for the length of the bolt sled and that was only one measurement!

Edited by BlackFox, 12 September 2008 - 03:36 PM.

-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

#9 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:42 PM

Whoops. Sorry. I spent too much time editing and forgot. Typical.

I think I need a hug. No one did this for me when I asked for the length of the bolt sled and that was only one measurement!

Two measurements, the two sides of the bolt sled aren't the same length. :P

Always strive to be more helpful to other people than people were to you.

#10 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:51 PM

Two measurements, the two sides of the bolt sled aren't the same length. :P

Always strive to be more helpful to other people than people were to you.

It's getting technical now and my problem was solved ages ago, but yeah, you're right. However, I didn't specify in my topic that I only needed back to where they joined near the wheels which was the same length, just to clarify.

Ok, I'm done interrupting.
-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

#11 Daecu

Daecu

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 04:13 PM

Thank you very much blackfox! You're a life saver :P

And to clear up issues, my school has a laser printer, which uses a focused laser to cut semi-flat pieces of wood/plexi-glass to various shapes using files sent from AutoCAD or similar programs.

However, we do in fact also have a rapid prototyping machine, or 3d-printer, that utilizes 2 bins of plastic powder and then a printer goes over one side with a printer head that expels glue in the shape of the lowest "layer" of the object. It then wipes a layer of the powder over the glue. This repeats layer by layer till the object has been built up, suspended in the un-glue-covered powder, and sets for a while before we remove it, wipe/blow off the excess dust, and apply hardeners to have a solid, extremely sturdy 3 dimensional object. This machine also receives files from AutoDesk applications as well as many others.

Both of these are very scaled down versions of what you may be thinking of, the laser printer can fit 1x2' pieces in it, and the 3d printer has a workable bin space of about 7"x9". Hope that clears some things up :)

Oh and we also have a Plasma-Cam :) its about a 4'x5' table with a tool over it and is used for cutting sheets of metal, such as steel :)

#12 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 04:23 PM

Thank you very much blackfox! You're a life saver :P

And to clear up issues, my school has a laser printer, which uses a focused laser to cut semi-flat pieces of wood/plexi-glass to various shapes using files sent from AutoCAD or similar programs.

However, we do in fact also have a rapid prototyping machine, or 3d-printer, that utilizes 2 bins of plastic powder and then a printer goes over one side with a printer head that expels glue in the shape of the lowest "layer" of the object. It then wipes a layer of the powder over the glue. This repeats layer by layer till the object has been built up, suspended in the un-glue-covered powder, and sets for a while before we remove it, wipe/blow off the excess dust, and apply hardeners to have a solid, extremely sturdy 3 dimensional object. This machine also receives files from AutoDesk applications as well as many others.

Both of these are very scaled down versions of what you may be thinking of, the laser printer can fit 1x2' pieces in it, and the 3d printer has a workable bin space of about 7"x9". Hope that clears some things up :)

Oh and we also have a Plasma-Cam :) its about a 4'x5' table with a tool over it and is used for cutting sheets of metal, such as steel :)

I hate you. Give me your tools.

#13 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 04:26 PM

That is just fucking ridiculous.
Teehee.

#14 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 04:48 PM

I envy you.

I was told my high school had a 3D printer that printed out chunks of hard wax. I had aspirations of machining my own parts... until I actually got into the class last year. The amazing 3D printer printed out little corn-starch, paper mache like replicas. They were so brittle you could shave off bits of them by scraping your fingernail against them.

Anyway, glad I could help. Do you need a Rhino rendering? I worked on it a little and lost interest after I posted the picture, but I could still do it.

I forgot to mention the depth of the inset area with the hole. My caliper is a piece of garbage and my measuring tape has a metal piece on the end that made measuring that tiny space impossible, but I'd say it couldn't be more than 1/16" deep. Same with that little boarder.

Edited by BlackFox, 12 September 2008 - 04:50 PM.

-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

#15 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:44 PM

Wow, a plastic prototyper? that is pretty fucking awesome. The one my collage had (hah! YEARS ago) was the cornstarch/glue type, and was pretty low resolution. Fine for making up a core or positive to use in metal casting, but that's about it.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#16 Daecu

Daecu

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 06:58 PM

I'm fine on the rhino fox thanks, but I'm sure nobody would be against you posting it for the sake of generosity. Someone somewhere could need it :D

It is plastic, but the shit is expensive... we have to pay for material costs if we use it, and its 3$ a cubic inch for that stuff =_= hence I don't use it much, and go more often for the printer where I can get a piece of plywood or acrylic for 2-3$, but have a lot more surface area to work with. But yeah, its nice that the school has them, and I know I'm fortunate to have access to them at all, at least its a return for crazy shit taxes my folks gotta pay. Anways, I loose 'em at the end of the year :(

#17 Blasphemy

Blasphemy

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:58 PM

For note, I wouldn't go with the printer if all you can use is plywood and acrylic, neither of those materials are strong enough to use for a catch. The Longshot catch along with many other parts in Nerf blasters is probably made out of an ABS/PVC blend which is stronger than acrylic.

EDIT: And good god, if your city's school board can afford those kinds of machines you must get diddled through taxes.

Edited by Blasphemy, 12 September 2008 - 10:04 PM.

When speaking about a swallow, always make sure you know whether it is an African or European swallow. It is very important.

#18 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:51 PM

EDIT: And good god, if your city's school board can afford those kinds of machines you must get diddled through taxes.

Perhaps it's some sort of private engineering prep school with extremely generous donors or outrageously high tuition?

Edited by Rambo, 12 September 2008 - 11:53 PM.

#19 Blasphemy

Blasphemy

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:57 PM

Perhaps it's some sort of private engineering prep school with extremely generous donors or outrageously high tuition?

He did say this:

...at least its a return for crazy shit taxes my folks gotta pay.

When speaking about a swallow, always make sure you know whether it is an African or European swallow. It is very important.

#20 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 12:03 AM

He did say this:

Yes, he did, didn't he... making your statement slightly redundant. My mistake though... I glanced over his post entirely for some reason.

#21 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 12:23 AM

He did say this:

Yes, he did, didn't he... making your statement slightly redundant.

Better to be redundant than to not bother reading the post to which you are referring.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#22 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 12:41 AM

He did say this:

Yes, he did, didn't he... making your statement slightly redundant.

Better to be redundant than to not bother reading the post to which you are referring.

Actually I was referring to Blasphemy's post which did not contain anything but speculation. But this discussion is totally retarded.

#23 AJAQ

AJAQ

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 01:57 AM

The high school I attended just got one I think...
~AJAQ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users