Photo

Dremel Repair

11 replies to this topic

#1 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:46 PM

My 150th post is repair write-up #5 for me. This one was unexpected. Here's a quick fix for an annoying problem with dremels. With as many projects as I have going right now, a dremel is an absolute necessity. I was pissed when mine started having problems.

First of all, I don't have a brand name dremel. I have a four speed "rotary tool", but I'm sure this is a common problem with other dremels. After several hardcore minutes of grinding plastic out of one of my guns, I lost all the torque in my dremel and although the piece was spinning, it would stop as soon as I put it to plastic. A little hesitant to spend $50 to get a new one, I decided to put my mechanical skills to the test and see if I could fix it myself.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I opened it up and was immediately met with a dusting of rubber shavings.

Posted Image

The problem was this rubber shoe that the shaft fits into. As you can see, it is completely worn down. I decided that this is a fail-safe the manufacturer put in to make sure the motor isn't destroyed if the bit gets stuck. So next time your piece gets stuck and you a hear nasty grinding noise, that's this rubber piece being eaten away. Shut off the dremel and get the piece unstuck ASAP.

Posted Image

There should be two sides to the rubber piece. The one attached to the output of the motor should be plastic. The first thing I did was separate these two halves.

This was a lesson in never throwing anything away for me. Not one week earlier, I took apart a nebulizer to salvage parts and even decided to keep the little rubber shoes that keep whatever they're attached to from scratching the surface of the table etc. I realized the one I had was a perfect substitute for the rubber piece. In the picture, it's the piece at the top.

Posted Image

Cut off the stub of the rubber foot to make it flat.

Before you start cutting, take the metal piece of the recieving end of the shaft and push it into the rubber as hard as you can so you get a good impression to cut out. This was actually kinda frustrating at times because I kept wanting to use my DREMEL, but it was being operated on....

Posted Image

Once you know where you're cutting, take a razor and dig it into the rubber as far as it will go. You don't have to be exact, but try to make it vaguely rectangular. You can see the cuts I had made in the picture above.

Posted Image

After you've made your cuts, take a pair of needle-nosed pliers and rip out the rubber in little chunks.

Posted Image

All that's left is to stick it back onto the other half of the shoe. Rubber is a porous material and a few drops of super glue make a solid bond.

Posted Image

In some cases, the rubber may be too tall to fit back inside the case. If so, cut it down and make sure everything goes back where it was and close it up. You're done!

As with most homemade fixes, it's not permanent. This is the second time I've done this and my dremel worked great for about a week and a half of heavy dremeling. It will eventually need to be replaced, but for you die-hards that want to delay spending another $50, this write-up is for you.

Edited by BlackFox, 12 September 2008 - 01:15 AM.

"Until we meet in the place where there is no darkness"
-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

Think that piece is beyond repair? Think again!

#2 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:57 PM

I find it funny how you put a Dremel repair in a Nerf mod section... haha
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

#3 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:00 PM

I find it funny how you put a Dremel repair in a Nerf mod section... haha

Well, there are only two other places it could go... General Nerf because it is nerf related, or Off Topic if that's not good enough.
-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

#4 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:31 PM

Walmart usually carries a pretty decent black & decker rotary tool for about $20. Once mine wore out and I just took it back for a replacement.

#5 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:10 PM

I use the Black & Decker and can vouch for its efectiveness.
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#6 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:16 PM

Can said rotary tool use 1/8'' bits like dremels? If so I know what I'll be getting.
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#7 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:21 PM

Yeah any bit that a Dremel can take will fit in the B&D. It has pretty decent power and comes with some good sized sanding drums (perfect for making CPVC fit inside of PVC). I usually buy quick-snap or whatever they're called) cut-off wheels made by Dremel and they work fine in my B&D. I originally bought it as a cheap temporary (my wife promised me a nice one for Christmas last year) but it turned out so well that I felt no need to replace it.

#8 nerf mafia

nerf mafia

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:50 PM

I have 2 dremels for this very purpose I hait having to wait to replace anything I need right away.
THE OHIO PLAYDATE. WE PLAY WITH FORKS.

#9 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 01:11 AM

First of all, I don't have a brand name dremmel. I have a four speed "rotary tool", but I'm sure this is a common problem with other dremmels.

At least that helps explain why you can't spell "Dremel"

Stickler.

Just so you know, I went and lopped off 10 M's just for you.

Here's your change:

Posted Image

Edited by BlackFox, 12 September 2008 - 01:19 AM.

-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

#10 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:22 PM

Here's the link for the B&D rotory tool 30,000 RPM!!!
Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"
it still seems that your balls drop very rapidly

#11 Mr Tubb

Mr Tubb

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:33 PM

Here's the link for the B&D rotory tool 30,000 RPM!!!

I can't tell from the description, does it come with any cutting wheels or anything?
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side."
-Han Solo; Star Wars: A New Hope (IV)

#12 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:40 PM

As I recall it did not come with any cutting wheels. I personally don't like to use the miniscule diameter cut-off wheels that come with dremels and I buy my own anyway, so it didn't make a difference to me. The sanding drums, however, are of a very nice size that I have had a hard time finding exact matches to. (Unfortunate because they really are the perfect size).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users