The New Hereti Corp. Assault Rifle

LongShot End to End Guide - 90+ Pics

90 replies to this topic

#1 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 02:59 PM

Welcome to the Nerf Longshot CS-6 End to End modification guide.

This is the new standard in Hereti Corp. assault weaponry:

Posted Image

This is NOT a beginner mod, please do not try this unless you are extremely sure that you can do it. I completely screwed a longshot in the process of making this guide, so don't scream if your new toy gets broken while you attempt this mod.

Before I get into it, I want to give credit where credit is due.

Forsaken_Angel24 is the originator of the Angel Breech and all I have done is a tiny modification, it is still his and all credit goes to him.

Captain Slug's innovative and intelligent solution to the stupidity that is the cocking mechanism of the longshot is still without a doubt the best and cleanest shotgun design I've ever seen. What I do in this mod is take his design and add a little bit to it, I am again not claiming to have originated it.

This guide is also not original, everything in it has been done before, but I am looking to make a clean, clear, and easy to understand guide to modifying the longshot from start to finish. Beginning with the boxed longshot and ending with a completely painted and modified longshot that would be a credit to any war.

This guide will cover:
Disassembling the Longshot
Removing the Air Restrictor
Removing the useless bits of the gun
Creating and installing a slightly modified version of the Angel Breech by Forsaken_Angel24
Reinforcing the catch springs
Adding a second spring underneath the stock spring
Removing the need for the bolt sled while still retaining the guide slots to preserve gun stability
Creating and installing a slightly modified version of Captain Slug's V3 Shotgun Grip.
Painting the Longshot

I will not cover replacing the plunger head, but CaptainSlug has done that rather nicely already:

Here are the basics
1. Any rubber washers with an OD of 1-1/2 inches will work if you can keep it centered.
2. You sandwhich the rubber washers with one 1-1/4" OD steel washer infront of and one behind it
3. The finishing washer (or any #6-32 washer) is important because most steel washers that large will be for screw sizes much larger than the stock screw that the stock plunger head is held in place with.
4. This is a direct replacement for the stock plunger head.
5. If you get a rubber washer that has a large ID it won't stay centered unless you use a rigid washer or rubber grommet inserted into the center of the rubber washer.

I found the rubber washers by dumb luck at home depot. I bought them based on the part list Carbon posted for making one of his SNAP homemades. Since I haven't found a convenient source for the exact same washer I've come up with a part list that I know will work should any of you want to replace the stock plunger head.

part# 90131A308 - Large-Od Extra-Thick Reinforced Rubber Washer 3/8" Screw Size, 1-1/2" Od, 1/8" Thick = $3.57 per pack of 10
part# 90126A509 - Zinc-Plated Steel SAE Flat Washer #6 Size, 5/32" Id, 3/8" Od, .036" Min Thickness = $0.97 per 100
part# 91090A104 - Zinc-Plated Steel Large-Od Flat Washer 10 Screw Size, 7/32" Id, 1-1/4" Od, .042"-.052" Thk = $7.41 per 100

The #6 washer will need to go in the middle of the rubber washer and on the front of the head.
You do not have to buy these parts from mcaster, but they will give you the best price. Simply use this list to find dimensionally identical parts elsewhere.

A note on materials: Brass is listed in 12" pieces because that's how it is normally sold, you actually need much less of everything but the 9/16, which you actually need a full 12" piece of for the front barrel. If you have some brass laying around, see if you have enough for this before you go out and buy all new. Same goes for the Polycarbonate, you don't actually need as much, but the standard sizes are listed.

Materials Needed:
One Nerf Longshot. Front Gun is not needed or used.
One 12" piece of 19/32" Brass
Two 12" pieces of 9/16" Brass
One 12" piece of 17/32" Brass
One 12" piece of 1/2" Brass
One sheet of 1/4" Polycarbonate Plexi-Glass 24x12"
One sheet of 1/8" Polycarbonate Plexi-Glass 12x12"
Two 8-32 Threaded rods, at least 4" long
Fifteen 8-32 machine screws and nuts
Two springs from ball-point pens for the catch
One 24" Piece of 1/2" ID SCH40 PVC
Optional: AR-15 or NiteFinder spring to add to the stock spring

Tools Needed:
#1 Phillips Screwdriver
Dremel Tool with a cutting bit or something else to trim the shell with.
Power Drill or Hand Drill with 8/32" and 3/8" bits
Pipe Cutter (For tightening rings)
Zap-A-Gap, Fishin Glue or Gorilla Glue

Posted Image

And we begin with the box which boasts "The Longest Nerf Blaster!" as if that's actually a recommendation.

Posted Image

Once you open the box, this is what you'll see.

Remove the main LS Gun, and the two clips. You can set aside everything else, you won't need it.

Posted Image

Your stock longshot will come equipped with a collapsible stock that will collapse on you while you're cocking and probably crush a finger or two, and a bipod that has absolutely no purpose other than to get in the way of a decent grip on the front when it's folded up. Oh, it also blocks a screw hole when it's fully extended and fully closed, so you have to keep it part way open to get the gun apart.

First of all, remove the screws in the grey collapsible stock and put them somewhere safe. Keep an eye on them, they're a different type than the ones used in the main LS shell. Set the stock aside, we won't be needing it until the very last part of the mod.

Posted Image

Now, remove all the screws in the main longshot to open the gun.

There are about 22 screws total, if the shell does not come apart easily, you missed one, do not try and force the shell apart, there are no tabs holding it together. Look around till you find the screw you missed.

Two things to note in this process:

1: There are two extra long screws, they go in the two holes that are above and below the very front of the barrel, they don't fit anywhere else.

2: There are a bunch of screws blocked by the bipod legs, every one but the one in the very front can be accessed by opening the bipod leg. To get your screwdriver in to the last one, open the leg about half way and then unscrew the screw.

Posted Image

Here is your opened longshot, there's a lot of crap in this thing, most of it will be gone by the time this mod is done. But the first order of business is to get rid of that stupid Bipod.

Remove 3 screws from each side of the bipod and remove the leg and the retaining bracket. Discard the entire bipod assembly, use it for scrap plastic and spare screws.

Posted Image

The is the stock loading mechanism for the longshot. In the front you have the dart tooth that pushes the dart back onto the peg attached to the air restrictor and provides a wonderfully huge area for air to escape the barrel.

Then you have the cover for the bolt action, which is useless and can be discarded.

The bolt Sled is attached to the barrel and we'll address that in a bit, then hanging over the barrel is the clip lock that makes it so you can't load the clip while the gun is in closed position. This is idiotic, being as you can't load the gun without automatically priming it, and what good is that? You just get a worthless spring or a wasted dart.

Posted Image

Here you have the trigger mechanism, the clip retainer and the trigger lock that prevents the gun being fired when the breech is open.

This is all going away except the trigger itself.

Posted Image

Finally in the rear you have the trigger catch, the priming indication knob, and the plunger assembly.

Posted Image

You can see here that the trigger catch pops easily out of its slot, you need to be careful when you're putting the gun back together so that the catch stays in place.

Posted Image

Now, back at the front of the gun.

Remove the two silver screws that hold the barrel assembly in place and set them aside with the rest of the screws, then gently pull the front piece straight up to remove it and the barrel behind it. Place these somewhere safe.

Remove the yellow piece and throw it away. Or keep it if you like how it looks, I don't.

Posted Image

Remove the two silver screws and take out the bolt tooth, discard the tooth and save the screws and spring for future use, they're not used in this mod.

Remove the front orange piece from where it slides on to the bolt sled and place it with the other barrel pieces.

Posted Image

Remove the plunger assembly, bolt sled, and clip lock, unscrewing any screws in the way, discard the screws. You can also cut the bolt lock off or wait until you remove the barrel from the bolt sled to slide it off.

At this point you should also remove the trigger lock by sliding it off the front of the trigger, you shouldn't need to unscrew the trigger, but you can if you need. Save the springs for future projects, they're like nerfy gold.

Posted Image

A view down the barrel, you can see the peg and air restrictor that you're going to have to drill out.

Posted Image

To remove the barrel from the bolt sled, take a small screwdriver or similar item and shove the silver pin out of the sled, use a pliers to pull it the rest of the way out, then gently push down on the barrel to remove it from the sled. At this point the clip lock can be removed.

Posted Image

To access the AR, remove the two screws at the back of the plunger assembly and slide the entire thing out.

Posted Image

Your removed plunger assembly can be reinforced by adding an O-Ring, and the spring can be removed, replaced, or added to by unscrewing the plunger head.

To remove the Air Restrictor, slide the barrel back into the plunger assembly as far as it will go, and take the dremel's cutting bit to the black plastic on the rear. I don't have a picture of this, but the dremel's bit should be long enough to wipe out the AR and the Pin mechanism. If the pin is still there, get the 3/8" drill bit out and ream the heck out of it.

Posted Image

And after you've drilled and dremeled and reamed the crap out of that barrel, here's what you get. A spring, an air restrictor and a pin. Make sure you get all of these out.

Posted Image

Your barrel should now be clean from nose to tail, the little roughness in there doesn't matter, there aren't going to be any darts in there after all.

Posted Image

You can see where the trigger lock is, and how it can just pull off the front of the trigger, at this point you also want to remove the black bracket for the priming indicator, the indicator barrel and the pin that the barrel was on. Discard all these, they have no use.

Also remove the trigger catch so that springs can be added.

Posted Image

The stock trigger catch, looks a little wussy, no?

We'll fix that.

Posted Image

Use the springs from the bolt tooth and the trigger lock to reinforce the stock catch. Clamp the trigger catch securely so it remains in an upright position. Put a small amount of Zap-A-Gap on the top edge and then place the springs in the glue. Allow to set while you're doing other things.

Posted Image

Now we're ready to ditch the stock barrel and start into the process of making the modified Angel Breech.

Cut off the stock barrel somewhere behind the black material, I ended up cutting it off right at the end of the plunger tube in the end, but you can leave some more material if you like.

Retain the front piece, you'll need the bit that attaches to the bolt sled.

Remove the back of the barrel assembly from the plunger tube.

Posted Image

This is where the breech differs from FA24's breech, his has you putting 9/16 through and then adding the 19/32 on top.

Take the black piece you dremeled the AR out of and use a dremel or drill to widen the opening enough to fit a piece of 19/32" brass through. Slide the 12" piece through until it's even with the back of the plastic, and then go to town with the hot glue, filling in all the space around the brass.

I got a little over enthusiastic with the glue and had to trim it back a little.

Posted Image

Take the barrel guide and cut it off directly over the hole where the bolt tooth went in.

Posted Image

To measure how long the 19/32" piece needs to be, place the plunger tube back in the shell and mark the 19/32" piece where the barrel stabilizer is cut off. The 19/32" needs to advance all the way to cover the half pipe of 9/16" plus about 1/2" of the 9/16" pipe to seal the breech before firing.

The full 9/16" needs to overlap the full 19/32" when the breech is closed, so measure and cut accordingly.

Posted Image

Take a piece of 9/16" Brass, and nest a piece of 17/32" brass inside it.

Cut both pieces off to a length of 1.5"

Nest the two pieces in the 19/32" that you glued in previously.

Posted Image

Nested brass, in order to size the 19/32" down enough to accept a 1/2" piece to serve as a dart plunger.

Posted Image

Take a piece of 1/2" brass and slide it into the existing setup until it's approximately 1/4" from the front of the 19/32" piece.

Posted Image

You want the 1/2" to be a little behind the front lip of the 19/32"

Posted Image

Mark the 1/2" pipe and cut it off, then nest the 1/2" into the existing setup, making sure it's flush at the back.

Posted Image

Drip some Zap-A-Gap around the edges of the brass to make sure all three piece stay in place, it doesn't matter if a little gets on the inside, it's not going to interfere with the firing process.

Now, the front of the breech.

Posted Image

To measure out the correct distance for the Half Pipe, insert the piece of 9/16" brass into the barrel guide, through the stock barrel, and into the front guide. Line up the end of the brass with the front of the gun and then measure about 3/8-1/2" out from the barrel guide. The half pipe should stop approximately 3/4" from the plunger tube.

Posted Image

The rear edge of the brass should be about 5/8-3/4" away from the front edge of the plunger tube. This will insure that your breech keeps together at all times.

You can see the mark where I measured out where to cut the half-pipe portion of the breech.

Posted Image

View from the top of the cut.

This is the most important cut you will be making on the breech, so be very careful.

Posted Image

Make sure that the half pipe is really a half pipe or the darts won't feed correctly into the barrels. Don't cut too much off, and don't make it any more than a half pipe or the darts won't advance into the breech at all.

Posted Image

Before you ask, yes, that half-pipe is too short, this is not the breech piece in the pictures above, it's the one I screwed up the cut on, I cut a bit too much so it didn't work out right, I'll use the brass for something else. Follow the previous pictures for half-pipe length, but follow this one for tightening rings.

Add some tightening rings to the front barrel by using a pipe cutter. Tighten it down a little and twist the pipe, this will create a small depression so the brass holds the dart tight. Do this 8-9 times leaving about 1/8" of space between each ring.

Posted Image

Wrap the half-piped 9/16" pipe in electrical tape until it fits snugly in the barrel guide, also wrap some tape around the front of the barrel so that the stock barrel fits over it and keeps it nice and stable.

Posted Image

Place the breech into the shell, including the bolt sled. Mark the brass at the rear of the sled when the sled and brass are both fully forward. This will be the glue point for the sled attachment piece.

Posted Image

Here you can see the barrel partially inserted, the tape should line up with the cut off piece of the barrel guide, with the bare brass sticking out for the 19/32" to slide over.

Posted Image

Here's a correctly cut and inserted 9/16" half pipe, it's tilted up a little to show the orientation of the half pipe with relationship to the barrel guide, there is also a small gap between the rear of the half-pipe and the plunger tube location.

Posted Image

You can cut off the back of the bolt sled, right where it starts to angle into a single shaft, it's not going to be used any more.

Not required, I just liked doing it.

Posted Image

Cut off the sled attachment piece of the barrel and trim it down so it fits nicely on the front of the 19/32" brass. You will most likely have to trim it down further than in this picture, I did. Just make sure you have the back lined up with the mark you made earlier using the bolt sled.

Posted Image

Take your 8/32" Drill bit and drill out a hole straight through the bolt sled and through the sled connector.

REINSERT THE BARREL INTO THE PLUNGER TUBE BEFORE THE NEXT STEP. Once you glue the connector on you will no longer be able to insert the barrel into the plunger tube. MAKE SURE YOU REINSERT IT FIRST.

Then put some Zap-A-Gap on the sled connector and lightly clamp it to the 19/32" brass. Don't clamp hard, the brass will bend and you'll be screwed. Allow it to dry before trying the next step.

Posted Image

Reattach the barrel to the sled using the pin you yanked out earlier, the hole you drilled should go straight through, if it doesn't, use a drill to widen it a little until you can slide an 8-32 threaded rod through it without it hanging up on anything.

Posted Image

To pass correctly through the clip during the cocking and loading process, the sled attachment piece must be shaved down so that it does not hang out at all from the edges of the piece. You can see that I had to trim the sides down a good deal to make it work correctly.

Posted Image

Again, this step is critical to the correct functioning of the breech, if the rear portion gets hung up on the clip during cocking, you'll have a useless gun and probably get shot while you try and clear the jam.

Posted Image

A view from the front, you can see the slightly recessed 1/2" brass that shoves the dart forward and the correct alignment and trimming of the sled attachment piece

Posted Image

Here's the stock spring with a cut down AR-15 spring under it, I had a bad experience previously with a full length AR-15 spring, but after reading some more, I changed out this 2.5" piece for a 4.75" piece as recommended by Captain Slug. It works perfectly under the stock spring.

Posted Image

If you leave the half-pipe too short, the rear part of the breech will actually slip off the half-pipe during cocking and that causes all sorts of alignment issues. I screwed up a previous breech doing that.

Posted Image

Replace the trigger catch in it's slot with the two extra springs glued on. It should sit nicely in the groove without popping out.

Posted Image

After replacing the whole assembly in the gun, use the dremel or another cutting tool to trim down the lip over the nerf logo on both sides of the shell so that the 8-32 rod can slide freely back and forth, it's a subtle trim, but it's needed.

Posted Image

Here's the breech completely closed, you can see the areas I had to shave down to make the rod slide cleanly back and forth, and the mark where I glued the sled attachment piece.

Posted Image

The breech from below, open.

Posted Image

The breech from above, open again.

Posted Image

The front end of the gun, you can see where I cut out the "Air Vents" from above the barrel so that the 8-32 rod can move the full distance it needs to cock the gun and load the dart.

Posted Image

Here's the basic design for the modified shotgun grip.

Materials: 1/4" Plexi and 1/8" Plexi

7" total length from front to back
Rear arm is 4" long and 1" tall
Front grip is 3" tall and 3" long

This makes for two arms that link a front 8-32 rod with the back 8-32 rod that goes through the bolt sled assembly.

Then a 3" half-pipe of 3" SCH40 PVC is added to the bottom by using a small plate of 1/8" Plexi and 8-32 screws/nuts.

A mechanical diagram of the modified shotgun grip is Available Here

Posted Image

Here's the cut and partially assembled front grip.

As you can see it's deeper and shorter than the Captain Slug V3 in order to move the guide rod up over the main barrel and to accommodate the sledless design.

Yes, the joining plate is on the inside on this picture, it shouldn't be, the plate goes on the outside.

Posted Image

Here's the assembled front grip, you can see it bows out a little bit, but I'll fix that by changing the angle of the screw holes in the 3" PVC halfpipe, you have to make sure that both the pipe and the side piece are perpendicular to the table when you drill or it'll come out like this.

Posted Image

Here's the grip installed, I overestimated the length needed for the rear armature a little bit, so I'll correct the cut and make it nice and neat.

The diagram linked above reflects the corrections I made to the grip.

The bowing you saw earlier is fixed by pressure from the upper front guide rod, but this puts undue stress on the joining plate and needs to be corrected a different way.

Posted Image

Grip installed from above

Posted Image

To avoid the stock collapse syndrome, add two 3" pieces of 1/2" PVC to where the stock would slide over the main body of the gun.

If you would like your stock to remain collapsible, skip this step.

Posted Image

Before beginning the painting stage, cut off the rest of the Bipod holder on the bottom of the gun so you have a flat surface below the barrel.

And now, the painting.

Start out with a coat of Duplicolor flat black vinyl dye, make sure every bit of the stock shell is covered, otherwise you risk paint flaking off in odd places after the job is done.

Posted Image

Do two to three coats of vinyl dye before you begin to add the secondary color. If you're wondering, the entire breech is there being painted, and the shoulder stock was painted with gloss black instead of flat black, it doesn't matter for the purposes of this, being as it's all being covered up. The entire mounting area for the tripod has also been removed for reasons you will see later.

Posted Image

Next, lay on a coat of the secondary color, which in this case is going to be silver. The end result will be a metallic red primary color with a silver secondary.

Posted Image

Paint the grip in the same way as the main gun, beginning with Duplicolor Vinyl Dye.

Posted Image

Here's the main body of the longshot completely taped up, the barrel and breech are remaining silver, so there's no tape on them.

Posted Image

Lay over at least 3 coats of Duplicolor Metallicast Red, if you don't put multiple coats on it, the red turns slightly yellow/gold and doesn't look right at all. Make sure you let the paint dry before you put on the next coat.

Posted Image

Here's the pieces painted with the red coat, the grip is done in its second coat of Silver, ready to be painted with the final coats of red and the stenciling.

Posted Image

And viola! The tape is taken off and you have a beautiful red and silver longshot, ready for reassembly.

Posted Image

Give the grip at least 3 coats of red, the same as you did to the main gun.

Posted Image

I laid my signature logo stencil over the grip and taped it down before cutting a hold in a sheet of paper to prevent overspray.

Posted Image

And there you have it, the Hereti Corp logo.

Yes, I know I didn't cut the plate on this side to the correct length, I was lazy and didn't trim it back like I did on the other side.

Posted Image

After all the tape is off, give all the pieces at least two coats of Clear Coat to protect your paint job. You can see a slight difference in the sheen of the paint after I applied the clear coat.

Posted Image

Time to put your gun back together.

Before you do this, make sure all the clear coat has dried, or it'll stick to everything and look like complete crap.

Reinsert the spring and plunger mechanism into the plunger tube and reinsert the two small silver screws to secure it in place.

Lay the barrel, plunger and breech assembly back into the gun, making sure that all the posts and tabs line up correctly. Then reinsert the two silver screws and secure the front barrel stabilizer. Then make sure the trigger spring is in its proper place and reinsert the wide-head silver screw to secure the trigger.

Make sure the breech slides freely and that the remains of the sled are correctly slotted into the guide slots on the shell.

Posted Image

Here's a closeup of the trigger mechanism, make sure that the catch is properly inserted and moves freely up and down.

Posted Image

Here's the partially reassembled Longshot, missing the grip and the shoulder stock.

Posted Image

Just a clear shot of the rear paintjob before it's covered by the stock.

Posted Image

And here's the completed gun, with logo bearing grip and shoulder stock installed. The weight is nicely balanced with both pieces in place.

Posted Image

A view from the front, I didn't add the PVC stabilizing ring at the front like FA24 did, but I may do it later, depending on how well the gun functions as is.

Posted Image

The gun, in all it's glory, I thought about putting something in the under-gun position, but I kinda like it the way it is, and the grip makes it a little difficult because of the brace rod I put in. Maybe a SMDTG with the barrels split, we'll see.

Posted Image

More pictures of the sake of pictures. Technically the other side of the gun though.

Posted Image

Hereti Corp's new standard in heavy assault rifles.

Posted Image

With a heavy shoulder stock and a clip based loading system, this gun will provide for the needs to the Hereti Corp shock troops, as well as the heavy infiltration squads.

Ranges:

All ranges shot flat from shoulder level, 2" Stefans with 1/4" Steel Shot weights.

50, 52, 56, 56, 64, 66, 68, 68, 68, 76, 76, 78, 80, 80, 82, 82, 82, 84, 88, 90 (Average: 64)

Was a windy day, which probably accounts for the wacky spread of the ranges. When I get the materials for the plunger head replacement I think the ranges will jump some as well.

Hope you enjoyed the guide.

Suggestions and constructive criticisms are always welcome, as well as questions.

You can find my Flickr based guides and a bunch of pictures here:

Nerf Pictures and Writeups

#2 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:01 PM

Wow. That is the best write-up I think I have ever seen. Do you think you could add just a few more pics? :)
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#3 h2player116

h2player116

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:12 PM

Hands down my favorite new gun in my own personal opinion no offense FA24 but this looks like it blows the lancer out of the water! Sick job A+++ paintjob.

#4 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:15 PM

HOLY FUCK! THIS IS THE COOLEST LONGSHOT I'VE EVER SEEN!

You never sees to impress me.
<!--quoteo(post=206428:date=Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Mukersman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mukersman @ Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Turd stefans. When I pulled these out of the pillow case i was just like, what... the... fuck...
Muker
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#5 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:20 PM

I can really vouch for this guy. Before reading his flickr guide, I had no clue how an angel breech worked. Now I have a fully functional one. Thanks a million, Hereticorp, you are amazing.
Oh I love the PJ too.
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#6 AJZ

AJZ

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:27 PM

I already saw this mod on his website, but nice write up on here. I will defiantely make another Angel Breech with the some of the ideas you ised since it's simple and seems to be stronger. I always like to see your writeups so once again, you made a great writeup! One question: how did you cut your 9/16th brass in half? A dremel? Looks very clean...

Alec

#7 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:39 PM

Corrections:

A couple of pictures are out of place up top.

Here are the correct pictures to go with the text:

Posted Image

Here's the stock spring with a cut down AR-15 spring under it, I had a bad experience previously with a full length AR-15 spring, but after reading some more, I changed out this 2.5" piece for a 4.75" piece as recommended by Captain Slug. It works perfectly under the stock spring.

The text:
If you leave the half-pipe too short, the rear part of the breech will actually slip off the half-pipe during cocking and that causes all sorts of alignment issues. I screwed up a previous breech doing that.

Should actually go below this text:

Here's a correctly cut and inserted 9/16" half pipe, it's tilted up a little to show the orientation of the half pipe with relationship to the barrel guide, there is also a small gap between the rear of the half-pipe and the plunger tube location.

I'd edit this if the NH boards allowed me to with all these pictures, but I can't so this will have to do.

#8 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:58 PM

Needs more proofreading.
Some of the pictures repeat, where others are missing.

EDIT: nevermind; looks like you got started on it while I was typing.

Yeah, I did. I try to keep things straight, sadly sometimes I lose track.

Best I can do for now.

One question: how did you cut your 9/16th brass in half? A dremel? Looks very clean...

You mean the half-pipe? That's a dremel with the precision extension and a metal-cutting cut-off wheel. Very slow cuts and very careful movements, you saw I said I screwed one of the half pipes? That's how, slipped with the dremel.

I can really vouch for this guy. Before reading his flickr guide, I had no clue how an angel breech worked. Now I have a fully functional one. Thanks a million, Hereticorp, you are amazing.
Oh I love the PJ too.

No problem, I'm happy to help. I just wish I had the tools and knowhow of Captain Slug and the creativity of FA24, then I'd actually be able to design my own stuff.

Hands down my favorite new gun in my own personal opinion no offense FA24 but this looks like it blows the lancer out of the water! Sick job A+++ paintjob.

No fucking way man, the Lancer kicks this gun's ass any day, I could only dream of doing something as slick and sick as the Lancer mod.

Wow. That is the best write-up I think I have ever seen. Do you think you could add just a few more pics? :)

Sure, just wait till I get my double-clip mod and my clip paintjobs done. :P

I'll add another 20-30 to this.

HOLY FUCK! THIS IS THE COOLEST LONGSHOT I'VE EVER SEEN!

You never sees to impress me.

Cease is the word you're looking for.

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

#9 Z4

Z4

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:20 PM

Excellent work. I think I'll be looking here when I get my Longshot back open.

So that took what, 9 posts?

Great job, I love all your work.

EDIT: I counted. If a picture's worth a thousand words, then your writeup, without words, is worth 85,000 words. Now that's a post I'd like to see...

Edited by .Z4., 11 September 2008 - 04:24 PM.

Z4 of the NIC
"We are here to have fun with the toys we love in a civilized and friendly manner."- Talio

#10 Maeric

Maeric

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:24 PM

I think I'm going to enjoy your stay here at the haven more than you will.

Very nice job on the longshot.
Active on H3Artificer as Halacar. GT: Halacar send me an invite if you wanna forge.
I'm amazing at Forza3! I destroyed the engine of a 2mil C car by downshifting! YAY!
I hate you. And all noobs who are like "OMFG i r liek, glued sh1t 2 shit. jak offf ma ego. NAOW!"

#11 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:38 PM

I love the color. The paintjob is really great. I personally understood F_a24's angel breech writeup better. It just made more sense to me. I also don't care much for the looks of the shotgun grip, but it looks like it works well, and it basically eliminates the need for the boltsled without singling the gun. Great work.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#12 Jabulus

Jabulus

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:41 PM

Ranges:

All ranges shot flat from shoulder level, 2" Stefans with 1/4" Steel Shot weights.

50, 52, 56, 56, 64, 66, 68, 68, 68, 76, 76, 78, 80, 80, 82, 82, 82, 84, 88, 90 (Average: 64)

Was a windy day, which probably accounts for the wacky spread of the ranges. When I get the materials for the plunger head replacement I think the ranges will jump some as well.

Okay, I saw this a few days ago and was going to try it, because it is a basically very detailed Angel Breech, and possibly easier. But looking at these ranges, it doesn't look that good. I was hoping I'd get 120' range with an Angel Breech + ar spring + good stefans. But you're only getting half that. The only point of error I can see is the stefans, and the plunger head as you mentioned. Is there any other reason for error that could possibly be fixed, or would I be better off following Angel's guide?

Edit: And why does it say you need pen springs when you never use them?

Edited by Jabulus, 11 September 2008 - 05:07 PM.

WARNING-THIS IS GETTING BRUTALLY OLD!

QUOTE(Echnalaid)

One screw was stripped on my titan, so I Falcon Punched it. Try a Falcon Punch.

QUOTE(chrisnisk)

Not to mention I got the secret achievement Brass Balls for it

#13 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:10 PM

You are not going to get 120' out of a longshot.

#14 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:14 PM

I don't even particularly like the Longshot, but this writeup is amazing in and of itself. And rangewise, I think Slowguitarman's right; best I remember, even Angel's topped at about 100'. ~Rork
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#15 Jabulus

Jabulus

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:34 PM

I know, I'm starting to realize I probably won't get 120', but as far as I am aware Angel never replaced the stock spring, and the ar spring definitely will boost ranges. Angel's topped out at 100' with stock spring and cold weather, so it can get more than that. I just want to know why Angel's got twice the distance. And for the record, 120' out of an ls has been done.
WARNING-THIS IS GETTING BRUTALLY OLD!

QUOTE(Echnalaid)

One screw was stripped on my titan, so I Falcon Punched it. Try a Falcon Punch.

QUOTE(chrisnisk)

Not to mention I got the secret achievement Brass Balls for it

#16 Echnalaid

Echnalaid

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:35 PM

That paint job reminds me of Iron Man's Silver Centurion Suit/Armor.

Edited by Echnalaid, 11 September 2008 - 05:35 PM.

There was something on the bottom of the ad that said erotyka. Sounds like something spicy -Renegademilitia15

#17 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:44 PM

Excellent work Heritcorp.

I look forward to more of your stuff.
I will add this to the directory.

It definitely seems some kind of integrations is in order for the dead space.

This kind of work deserves a video.
With no voices, goosebumps inspiring music and masks.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#18 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:16 PM

I know, I'm starting to realize I probably won't get 120', but as far as I am aware Angel never replaced the stock spring, and the ar spring definitely will boost ranges. Angel's topped out at 100' with stock spring and cold weather, so it can get more than that. I just want to know why Angel's got twice the distance. And for the record, 120' out of an ls has been done.

Post a link to where it's been done. Maybe if it was singled and had a spring in it big enough to break the blaster after a few shots. If you have a link to it, post it or pm me. Otherwise, we shouldn't derail the thread anymore with any of this.

#19 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:20 PM

My cable modem just took a shit and died.

Good work though, it's pretty.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#20 AJAQ

AJAQ

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:27 PM

Based upon my experience, I don't think that is true.

Using a #49, and a PETG Transition, I have hit 108. (MAX Level)

If I were to qo with a more ridiculous catch, and spring, 120 isn't so far fetched to hit.

Accuracy is the main concern out there.

That is a beautiful paintjob, by the way.

I did a similar pattern in Black and silver, but then tried to put a clear gloss enamel over the top, and it dulled both colors.

I was quite disappointed.

Also, the pin placement is a good idea.

Someone should look into crafting one that goes through that pin, as well as the normal back priming hole.

Edited by AJAQ, 11 September 2008 - 06:30 PM.

~AJAQ~

#21 Hoceky

Hoceky

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:49 PM

Oohh... That is very pretty. I like it.
meh.

#22 Magic

Magic

Formerly NerfOnFier

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 540 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:51 PM

If you get a compliment from Talio you know what you've done is godlike.

#23 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:40 PM

Wow. Just wow. Vary nice write-up and vary good paint job.

< One foot in death...The other in life. >

#24 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:41 PM

I know no one used to believe my ranges (not sure if thats still true) but my first singled longshot could hit nearly 120 flat once I added a BBB spring to it. Those that used it at apoc can account for it's ranges, and it didn't even have the bow spring in it then.
<!--quoteo(post=206428:date=Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Mukersman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mukersman @ Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Turd stefans. When I pulled these out of the pillow case i was just like, what... the... fuck...
Muker
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#25 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:51 PM

Based upon my experience, I don't think that is true.

Using a #49, and a PETG Transition, I have hit 108. (MAX Level)

If I were to qo with a more ridiculous catch, and spring, 120 isn't so far fetched to hit.

Accuracy is the main concern out there.

Read the post a couple above yours (I don't mean that in an angry way). I don't think it is impossible, but it would either break your blaster or require a load of reinforcement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users