Nerf In Space

Would it work?

41 replies to this topic

#1 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:38 AM

This has been bothering me for a while now. If you shot a Nerf gun on the moon, would anything happen? I know this may sound insanely stupid to some of you, but seriously, would the dart fly out?

#2 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:57 AM

Nerf guns fire darts via air pressure. The moon has no atmosphere to speak of. Ergo, nerf no worky.

#3 Tornado13

Tornado13

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:14 AM

Just Some Bob and Thom pretty much coverd it. Space or Moon = No work.

~Tornado

#4 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:53 AM

However, spin guns like the Tommy20 and RevShot would work GREAT. :)
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#5 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:53 AM

If you could take the eyes of fire, and build a pressurized housing for it, or reinforce the parts or some such, you could shoot pretty damn far. You couldn't escape the moon's grivity though. (objects have to move 2.4km/s to do so, according to wikipedia)

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#6 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:23 AM

If you could take the eyes of fire, and build a pressurized housing for it, or reinforce the parts or some such, you could shoot pretty damn far. You couldn't escape the moon's gravity though. (objects have to move 2.4km/s to do so, according to wikipedia)

All you would have to do is lower the output pressure of the regulator a bit to lower the stress on the internals of the blaster. Earth's atmospheric pressure is only 15psi, so turning down the regulator output to the minimum level or simply replacing all of the internal tubing with something stronger should be enough. for it to work reliably.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#7 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts
  • State:New Jersey

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:31 AM

If you could take the eyes of fire, and build a pressurized housing for it, or reinforce the parts or some such, you could shoot pretty damn far. You couldn't escape the moon's gravity though. (objects have to move 2.4km/s to do so, according to wikipedia)

All you would have to do is lower the output pressure of the regulator a bit to lower the stress on the internals of the blaster. Earth's atmospheric pressure is only 15psi, so turning down the regulator output to the minimum level or simply replacing all of the internal tubing with something stronger should be enough. for it to work reliably.

I'm pretty sure he means reinforce it so that the outword force of the compressed gas as well as the shell doesn't make it explode. I've always loved the thought of just going into space and exploding into trillions of little particles.
Teehee.

#8 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 02:39 PM

Well, on a flywheel gun, like the T20, then, if the darts did'nt expand and shred themselves, then yes. Since there is no air resistance, you would get a hell of a lot of range.
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#9 Shadowblade

Shadowblade

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 03:49 PM

Well, on a flywheel gun, like the T20, then, if the darts did'nt expand and shred themselves, then yes. Since there is no air resistance, you would get a hell of a lot of range.

A sni.per T20...wow... <_< *imagination runs wild*
Proverbs says, "The wise man doth not shoot the Viking in the ding ding for he shall pummel thee."

But you can totally shoot Vacc there, he loves it!

~Talio

#10 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:09 PM

On the moon, bad things would happen to nerf guns as everyone has said. But if you were on a space station with zero gravity, you could fire nerf guns and the dart would travel straight across the room, until air resistance slowed it down. It would take a while for it to do that though, and would require a lot of space, so it would be like having infinite range.
I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

#11 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:48 PM

That would be hella fun. Making a Spherical room in a space station, and playing Nerf in it. It'll be like Ender's Game! :D
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#12 Aimless

Aimless

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:04 PM

Lets see here, no gravity to contend with and everyone is floating around with no efficient way to move themselves around.

I get a picture of a bunch of people floating around shooting automatics at each other, fun, until it's time to collect the darts.

Edited by Aimless, 09 September 2008 - 09:05 PM.

It makes the world go round.

#13 Jabulus

Jabulus

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:10 PM

Well, as long as you're using stefans with metal weighted tips, you could just fly around with a powerful magnet and "sweep" up the darts instead of painstakingly grab each one. It would make the job a little easier, and quite a bit faster.
WARNING-THIS IS GETTING BRUTALLY OLD!

QUOTE(Echnalaid)

One screw was stripped on my titan, so I Falcon Punched it. Try a Falcon Punch.

QUOTE(chrisnisk)

Not to mention I got the secret achievement Brass Balls for it

#14 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts
  • State:Texas

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:31 PM

If you had a NERF war on a space-station, you would have a low-tech version of Ender's Game. If you have not read Ender's Game, you don't deserve to own a NERF blaster. This cannot be disputed.

#15 raw shrimp

raw shrimp

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:38 PM

I agree with imaseoulman. But why would you want to have a nerf war in space? I think it would be kinda hard. There would be mass confusion on darts bouncing around, and it would be much harder. Maybe laser tag, but not so much nerf.

#16 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:33 PM

The only blaster line that I could see working in any conditions in space would be the Vortex line. The gun fires by slamming the vortex ring forward while rotating it so that it soars. Due to the fact that there would be no air resistance on the moon, you would think that the ring would go nowhere, but the force of the blaster's unique firing system would be enough to launch the ring. Granted, ou may never see that ring again, but the coolness factor would definitely be worth it.
As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

#17 Mr Tubb

Mr Tubb

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:33 PM

I've always loved the thought of just going into space and exploding into trillions of little particles.

Off topic, but is it just me, or does that sound like a death wish or something? (he didn't specify that the gun being the object exploding)

Edited by Mr. Tubb, 09 September 2008 - 10:34 PM.

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side."
-Han Solo; Star Wars: A New Hope (IV)

#18 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts
  • State:Texas

Posted 10 September 2008 - 07:52 AM

I agree with imaseoulman. But why would you want to have a nerf war in space? I think it would be kinda hard. There would be mass confusion on darts bouncing around, and it would be much harder. Maybe laser tag, but not so much nerf.

Velcro.

#19 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 03:34 PM

Aha now if you shot it in the shuttle.
Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"
it still seems that your balls drop very rapidly

#20 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:30 PM

If you had a NERF war on a space-station, you would have a low-tech version of Ender's Game. If you have not read Ender's Game, you don't deserve to own a NERF blaster. This cannot be disputed.

Seconded. A nerf war in space would be awesome.

Also awesome would be a nerf war in one of those high-altitude planes they use to mimic anti gravity. They probably wouldn't let you bring a gun, but still.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#21 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:42 PM

Seconded. A nerf war in space would be awesome.

Also awesome would be a nerf war in one of those high-altitude planes they use to mimic anti gravity. They probably wouldn't let you bring a gun, but still.

The planes you speak of actually simulate weightlessness, or, the absence of gravity. Anti-Gravity is best explained here:

Definition of Anti-Gravity from Wikipedia

The website for the planes you speak of is here:

Zero G

Anti-Gravity, as explained in the Wiki,

"It does not refer to countering the gravitational force by an opposing force of a different nature, as a helium balloon does; instead, anti-gravity requires that the fundamental causes of the force of gravity be made either not present or not applicable to the place or object through some kind of technological intervention."

They also state this, "it is considered highly unlikely that anti-gravity is possible."

The Zero-G does not eliminate or negate gravity. You simply have the feeling of weightlessness when the plane is in the downward stroke of its flight pattern as you are falling at the same rate as the plane.
As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

#22 nerfer9

nerfer9

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • State:California

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:58 PM

OK, before we could Nerf in space, we have to make it so the plastic wouldn't crumble because of the -175 degrees

#23 Nova

Nova

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:27 PM

OK, before we could Nerf in space, we have to make it so the plastic wouldn't crumble because of the -175 degrees

I think all our dreams and fantasies just went "phththththt....."

I bet the nerf slingshot would work, may actually be decent in space, ONLY in space.

'night guys,

Nova
I need a life..

#24 eddieoctane

eddieoctane

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 11:09 AM

Well, as long as you're using stefans with metal weighted tips, you could just fly around with a powerful magnet and "sweep" up the darts instead of painstakingly grab each one. It would make the job a little easier, and quite a bit faster.

A powerful magnet on a space station. What could possibly go wrong?

Nerfing in microgravity would be awesome. But in an ultra low temp, near zero pressure environment, I see bad things happening with air powered toys. A slingshot would probably work, but that is about it. When the ISS takes visitors for a weekend, hit em up and I'll bring some guns.
C8H18

#25 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 01:53 AM

Um, you could clear out the ISS with a single magstrike and no reloading. It's not exactly spacious.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users