2x The Titan, Need Thoughts / Comments

Oh goodness the pictures are large... sorry

15 replies to this topic

#1 Daecu

Daecu

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:31 PM

Well, after a series of times having friends over and playing with these two Titans, both have become worn and my original mods have all come apart (barrel modifications). So, instead of re-creating the mods I have already enjoyed, I felt like doing something a little different, and came up with a plan to hold the innards of both titans inside one gun. Only slightly excessive force right?

Posted Image

I have designs already for a functional joint firing mechanism as well as a joint pump setup, but what I have a little hesitation about is how to channel the burst from both reservoirs into one chamber. Is it as simple as having them meet in one tube like this:

Posted Image

(Obviously I'd have to get another piece on the left there but I hope that gets the idea there across.)

Or will I need to look into one way valves with the same general shape idea? Or, do I need something completely different? I'd greatly appreciate your comments/ideas and as I move on with this I'll post progress. This is not something for a war, because what I'm hoping for is something far to powerful to be allowed in one xD.

Edit: Also, if you feel this would be more appropriate in homemades please let me know. I'm using existing guns so I figured this would be appropriate... but I may be stretching it a bit.

Edited by Daecu, 07 September 2008 - 09:34 PM.

#2 doubleshot

doubleshot

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:35 PM

It's going to be pretty hard to get this to work efficiently, and even if you do, you'll need about a 6 foot barrel.
I do NOT see this working well without significant work/time put into it. Let us know how it comes out though, for shits and giggles. Good luck. (not being sarcastic)

Edited by doubleshot, 07 September 2008 - 09:37 PM.

92% of people make up statistics. If you're one of the 8% who don't, put this in your signature

#3 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:38 PM

Not a very good idea because you're adding a great deal of dead space that doesn't have to be there. If you want a more powerful blaster then you should increase the size of the existing tank.
And if you do that I would recommend replacing the stock pump because the Titan pump is terrible.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#4 Daecu

Daecu

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:39 PM

Thanks Doubleshot, and I plan on putting plenty of time into this. I know what you mean about the barrel. I'll probably have to have some heavy darts too, stefans would get shredded if this shot efficiently...

CaptainSlug, how much pressure do you think would be lost in that dead space? If it would be more than a 30% loss of the total of both guns then I'd probably bag the idea and just make this into an overpowered double barrel gun. I get what your saying on the pump though, it is pretty crappy :)

Edited by Daecu, 07 September 2008 - 09:42 PM.

#5 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:51 PM

firing both tanks through 1 barrel is not too great of a plan, first of all a single titan tank has more volume that you could use unless you plan on shooting hamsters or rolls of toilet paper at each other.

using 2 pumps on 1 tank has merit
having 2 separate barrels has merit.

but trying to get the timing right to release 2 tanks at the same time does not produce a good enough result to make it worth the effort.
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#6 DTReaper

DTReaper

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:53 PM

Just make it into something like wing zeros gun for gundam wing. That would be badass if you did it thats what I would do but its your stuff so its up to you.

-DTR
QUOTE(VACC @ Dec 5 2008, 12:09 AM) View Post

That's it. I'm done. I'm sorry there are breasts on the Internet.

#7 Daecu

Daecu

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:02 PM

Ok well if you guys don't think its that great of a plan then I'll try rolling with a 2 barrel gun, but in that case I still plan on making them fire with one trigger ;) I know you don't think it will be timed well BadWrench, but I figure where there's a will there's a way, so off I go :) Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it!

Also: Nice reference there Reaper haha. I think making it so they can separate would be a bit more challenging that this even ;)

#8 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts
  • State:Texas

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:13 PM

Take a look at this.

It's not what you're talking about, but it may give you some ideas. This is in essence a tank expansion as both tanks are connected via a larg PVC ball valve. Connecting your two tanks via tubing will do nothing to improve the range of your projectile because the air can't get out fast enough. Also, with a tank expansion on a Titan, the flow rate of the valve opening becomes an issue very quicly.

I'm going to do some experimenting tomorrow morning with my double titan and a couple other "proof of concept" type things. I'll post my results and hopefully they'll be helpful.

#9 Daecu

Daecu

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:29 AM

Awesome imaseoulman, that's an interesting take on it I hadn't thought about joining them like that! I can't wait to see your results :D

#10 Fenixharth

Fenixharth

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:02 AM

Or you could use them to make either two Chimeras or send me both and 5 bucks and I'll make you a Chimera.

#11 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:47 AM

Ok well if you guys don't think its that great of a plan then I'll try rolling with a 2 barrel gun, but in that case I still plan on making them fire with one trigger ;) I know you don't think it will be timed well BadWrench, but I figure where there's a will there's a way, so off I go :D Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it!

Also: Nice reference there Reaper haha. I think making it so they can separate would be a bit more challenging that this even ;)

If you are using 2 barrels, It does not matter if the timing is right.
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#12 Daecu

Daecu

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 01:19 PM

Yeah fenix, i actually bookmarked the chimera mod a while ago, so I may roll with that if this fails.

#13 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts
  • State:Texas

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:24 PM

So I did some experimenting on increasing air volume out put via two different sources. To do this I took two Big Salvo blast chambers and inserted them into a PVC 'T' and the barrel was coming out of the odd end. Both Big Salvo blast chambers were connected to the same tube leading to the trigger.

I fired a dart from a barrel attached to only one Big Salvo blast chamber and then from the double chambered 'T' set up. I did this with several darts and attached a level to the barrel to ensure the shots were in fact level. There was an approximately 35-40% increase in range when fired from the double tank set up when compared to the single tank set up.

I also tested my double Titan and found that the air volume increase (almost triple the amount) showed a similar increase in range, though slightly less. The increased flow-rate of having two tanks open and empty (only doubling air output) performs better than having triple the air output without increasing the flow-rate. So, if it helps make a decision, doubling flow rate and doubling output is better than doing nothing with flow-rate and tripling air output. Point being made: FLOW RATE is very important.

#14 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts
  • State:New Jersey

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:39 PM

Oh my god you rock man. And you know what project of mine I'm referencing.
Teehee.

#15 Dangaard

Dangaard

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:11 PM

can I make a sugestion?

This is what I did when I found I had two Titan's.

Posted Image

Shotty both of them.

Posted Image

and make extra barrels

Posted Image
Discretion is the better part of valor, thats why I carry a very big axe.

You can fool some people all of the time and everyone some of the time, but you cant fool all the people all of the time, but it sure is fun trying.

What have I got in my pocket? (tolkien)

#16 Daecu

Daecu

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:39 PM

I was planning on making them both accept multiple heads at this point. imas thanks for posting your results, awesome work :D.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users