Crossbow Spring

What spring?

23 replies to this topic

#1 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:54 PM

What spring should I get for a reinforced X-BOW that will have the prefomance for me to notneed bungees. It's reinforced with 1/8" aluminum.
Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"
it still seems that your balls drop very rapidly

#2 Z4

Z4

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:57 PM

While I haven't (and don't plan to) replace(d) the spring in my Crossbow, the spring from the DT3 Arrow Shooter has been mentioned numerous times as the best Nerf made replacement. You also might want to get some of the specs for the spring and look around at hardware stores or Century Springs online store.

Edited by .Z4., 06 September 2008 - 01:58 PM.

Z4 of the NIC
"We are here to have fun with the toys we love in a civilized and friendly manner."- Talio

#3 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:03 PM

I have heard of people replacing the crossbows stock spring with an ArrowStorm spring.
QUOTE(Zaxbys @ Mar 2 2009, 02:08 PM) View Post
I won't be there til about 1-2...

Church... gotta soak up that Jesus!

NERFSTRONG #51

#4 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:07 PM

Ok let me rephrase that I need a definite spring that you get in a store.
Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"

#5 Z4

Z4

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:16 PM

There hasn't really been one in particular...just take the spring to a hardware store and find one that seems slightly better.
Z4 of the NIC
"We are here to have fun with the toys we love in a civilized and friendly manner."- Talio

#6 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:26 PM

Yeah about that Direct Threat forgot the spring (but its cool) in it before he shipped it and he has a good rep so I'll let it go.
Favorite Quotes:

#7 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:37 PM

AR15 spring. Just cut it down a little.
Timothy M-Lick <3

#8 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:41 PM

Where can I get an AR-15 Spring?
Favorite Quotes:

#9 Z4

Z4

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:43 PM

Pretty much any gun store, real or online, or eBay. Probably even here for that matter.
Z4 of the NIC

#10 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:46 PM

Well I don't have a gun store near me.
Favorite Quotes:

#11 nerfer9

nerfer9

• Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:54 PM

Then buy online.

#12 Salmon

Salmon

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:57 PM

Get 2 BBB springs, cut one down about 3 or 4 rings, and put 'em in there. Be sure to replace the catch spring with something strong, I used a Sharpshooter I trigger spring.
Welcome to I-dont-care-isburg, population: me.
We're located in I-Don't-Give-a-Damn County, in scenic Shut-the-Hell-Up-achussets.
Maybe you're familiar with our annual charity drive where we ask for shit, and no one gives any.

#13 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:20 PM

AR15 springs are very similar to plusbow springs, which you can get from mcmaster-carr. However, I have no idea how that particular spring will treat your x-bow. ~Rork
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#14 Z4

Z4

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:27 PM

Having encountered both +bow and Xbow springs, I personally am under the impression that a +bow spring would wreak havoc on even a reinforced Xbow's internals. I can almost fully compress an Xbow spring with my bare hands, and I can barely begin to shorten a +bow spring.
Z4 of the NIC

#15 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:38 PM

I haven't tried, but putting a +bow spring into an xbow would probably, like Z4 mentioned, skullfuck the shit out of your reinforced internals. Compression length and strength will be the biggest barrier to overcome.

-Groove

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#16 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 04:13 PM

I want to get my X-Bow working today so those who said buy online it takes awhile. Seriously I need a industrial spring #.
Favorite Quotes:

#17 Z4

Z4

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 04:31 PM

I personally don't see what your objection to bungees are. They look fine, and (nearly) everyone who uses an Xbow has them. They work well and really don't get in the way at all.
Z4 of the NIC

#18 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 04:34 PM

I want to get my X-Bow working today so those who said buy online it takes awhile. Seriously I need a industrial spring #.

Well, I hate to burst your bubble, but if you're not willing to buy online, don't have gun stores near you and you want it fixed TODAY, you're probably screwed.

Here are the spring specs:
Length: 6-3/4"
Diameter: 1"
Compressed length: 1-1/2"
Coils: 15
Gauge: Um, not a freaking clue, but that's what you'll be changing anyway.

Edited by BlackFox, 06 September 2008 - 04:35 PM.

"Until we meet in the place where there is no darkness"
-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

Think that piece is beyond repair? Think again!

#19 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 04:35 PM

Let me get a spring first and from there I'll see if
i need bungees. I don't even have the stock spring.
Favorite Quotes:

#20 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 04:36 PM

Let me get a spring first and from there I'll see if
i need bungees. I don't even have the stock spring.

If you have an average crossbow, you'll need bungies. My group has had a total of four crossbows and the average distance without bungies is around 40-50 feet.
"Until we meet in the place where there is no darkness"
-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

Think that piece is beyond repair? Think again!

#21 Cannonball

Cannonball

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:39 PM

if you have a bna you could try using that spring. it's slightly longer than a crossbow stock spring. I don't know if it's any better. I have yet to try it, but I'm sure you'll need to add bungies to your crossbow too.

#22 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 01:04 AM

AR15 springs are very similar to plusbow springs, which you can get from mcmaster-carr. However, I have no idea how that particular spring will treat your x-bow. ~Rork

Yes, I designed the +Bow to work with both (McMaster spring is only slight smaller in diameter but is much cheaper), and they're both monstrous. I would not recommend putting them in other blasters unless you shorten them because their total compression load is around 32 pounds.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#23 bpso86

bpso86

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:04 AM

Longshot, I've got a stock xbow spring lying around that I'm not using, if you indeed don't have a spring to begin with. I'll give it to you if you come to the war this Saturday.

#24 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:11 AM

I'll be able to get a spring by then I just need the #. Thanks anyways.
Favorite Quotes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users