Animals And Nerfing

That damn dog.....

31 replies to this topic

#1 TimmyTown

TimmyTown

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:09 PM

Alright so my golden retriever of 2 years has found a great new game, chasing after, hunting for, and devouring both nerf darts and stefans. For some odd reason he loves the things. I put a bunch of stefans in a small tackle box (the ones with latches) latched it and left for about 15 minutes or so. I came back to find my furry friend going nuts over the box. Sniffing it, nawing it, and just trying to get inside.

I am not entirely sure what he finds so amazing about them. I think it has something to do with a chemical they use to treat the foam, seeing as how he can smell them and will spend hours sniffing and clawing at the couch to get the single dart underneith it. Honestly I would not mind a dart retriever as he usually, after picking up about 10 darts laying around, comes running with darts falling out of his mouth if I call him. However, the darts are usually soggy and least half of them are chewed in some way. It is obvious to tell when hes found them since he usually has a few popping out of the corners of his mouth. Hes even come to associate a loud pop with the firing of a dart and as soon as he hears it hes off to eat his foamy treats.

I guess the main reason for this post is to ask if this is problematic to his health. He doesnt seem to mind and hes eaten WAY worse things before, like an entire hose (but thats for another day). He has a stomach of steel and his definition of edible revolves around what fits in his mouth.

My cat also loves to chase down nerf darts, she just never eats them. She just chases after them paws thema few times and goes about her way. The problems arise with rapid fire guns like the vulcan or powerclip. SHe runs after the first dart and the rest rain around her and she flips out, only to do it again 5 minutes later.

Also does anyone else have anything like this? Or just funny animal stories related to nerf I guess.
QUOTE(rork @ Mar 16 2009, 05:30 PM) View Post

I, too "have recon," as they say. I get him in old country. Then I realize he sucks like bog. So I trade him for potato.

#2 Magic

Magic

Formerly NerfOnFier

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 540 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:17 PM

Something similar happened to me. I have my darts in one of those cheesey poof buckets. I leave them in my room and my room door is usually open. My cat basil seems to like to latch on to the jar. I also shot a dart in to my shoe and forgot it there for about 15 minutes. Let's just say I needed new shoes after that day. :)

#3 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:34 PM

I guess the main reason for this post is to ask if this is problematic to his health. He doesnt seem to mind and hes eaten WAY worse things before, like an entire hose (but thats for another day). He has a stomach of steel and his definition of edible revolves around what fits in his mouth.

What do you use to weigh your darts? Fishing weights are made of lead, which could lead to heavy metal poisoning.

Funny stories? My last cat went crazy and started attacking people as they walked up the stairs... and I shot him in the face with my nitefinder. The next time he rushed at me, he actually grimaced when I whipped around ready to fire again. I find that disturbingly amusing.
"Until we meet in the place where there is no darkness"
-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

Think that piece is beyond repair? Think again!

#4 Magic

Magic

Formerly NerfOnFier

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 540 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:51 PM

You sick sick person. :P

#5 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 07:16 PM

Whenever my gerbils won't shut up, I grab the nearest nerf gun (which in my room means I don't even have to leave my bed...) and shoot a suction cup dart at their cage. They jump about twice their height, and look/sniff around for 10 minutes trying to figure out what just happened, giving me enough time to get back to sleep :P

Edited by AssassinNF, 02 September 2008 - 07:16 PM.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#6 Killzor

Killzor

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 07:22 PM

Sometimes I shoot darts at my geckos tank. 90% of the time he doesn't react at all.
CDO, it's OCD but put in alphabetical order, like everything should be

#7 cookiecrusher

cookiecrusher

• Banned
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 07:24 PM

When I was testing my AT2k, my dog went after the dart, but didn't really chew it up, and brought it to me in a way.

#8 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:00 PM

Hahaha, I think I've perverted this thread. The story about the gerbils is amazing. Back when I had gerbils, they annoyed the crap out of me because they never ceased to run on their wheel. If I was into nerfing back then, I would've done the same thing you did- except with a magstrike/titan.

Continuing with the animal stories, about a month ago, my neighbor's cats started hanging around my yard again. My cat usually chases them away, but she seemed a little afraid this time and refused to get closer than ten feet to the tresspasser. I decided to give her a hand.

I ran and got my SM1500. It was actually a great shot, the cat was laying on its side about sixty feet away, and I nailed it right in the back. It leapt up to its feet running for the fence and looking at the sky in shock as if it had been struck by a meteor or something.
-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

#9 TimmyTown

TimmyTown

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:11 PM

What do you use to weigh your darts? Fishing weights are made of lead, which could lead to heavy metal poisoning.

Funny stories? My last cat went crazy and started attacking people as they walked up the stairs... and I shot him in the face with my nitefinder. The next time he rushed at me, he actually grimaced when I whipped around ready to fire again. I find that disturbingly amusing.

I use copper BBs, Really though there is no way a 60 pound dog could get lead poisoning from a few fishing weights, really no way in hell.

Shit how did your cat turn out after that!? I know my cat once ran into a vent and cut up her nose pretty bad (yeah shes fucking retarted).

Edit: damnit I just noticed you have the same avatar as me, and you had it first. *tear* I liked skaman....

Edited by TimmyTown, 02 September 2008 - 08:12 PM.

I, too "have recon," as they say. I get him in old country. Then I realize he sucks like bog. So I trade him for potato.

#10 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:22 PM

It's Old Yeller time!
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#11 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:28 PM

I wouldn't recommend shooting nerf darts at terrariums. I spidered the glass on the front of mine on accident, so I don't do it anymore. It used to scare my turtle though.

#12 Aimless

Aimless

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:30 PM

Well, I started shooting at some seagulls at the beach once, all I had was tagger darts and an AR-less NF. I only managed to hit one seagull, from 10 ft away, in the head.
It makes the world go round.

#13 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:43 PM

Shit how did your cat turn out after that!? I know my cat once ran into a vent and cut up her nose pretty bad (yeah shes fucking retarted).

Edit: damnit I just noticed you have the same avatar as me, and you had it first. *tear* I liked skaman....

If you must know, the cat was taken away by the ASPCA. Two handlers had to corner him and take him away because he was too much for one. I think its because my other cat pissed him off. He was gentle before that day...

Haha, I chose skaman because he looks a lot like a character from my book, BlackFox... who is me.
-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

#14 TimmyTown

TimmyTown

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:50 PM

If you must know, the cat was taken away by the ASPCA. Two handlers had to corner him and take him away because he was too much for one. I think its because my other cat pissed him off. He was gentle before that day...

Haha, I chose skaman because he looks a lot like a character from my book, BlackFox... who is me.

Haha I chose skaman because ska kicks ass.

Oh right so I decided to run my dog a bit so he would be a little less obnoxious. I threw the bird dummy and he started running after it then bent down and picked up the recently fired titan missile, then he brought it back. So I slid it on the titan and let it rip, he chased it down and brought it back with little to no harm to the missile. I think I may have found the first dog who loves to nerf!

#15 NerfCrazy

NerfCrazy

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:00 PM

Haha I chose skaman because ska kicks ass.

Oh right so I decided to run my dog a bit so he would be a little less obnoxious. I threw the bird dummy and he started running after it then bent down and picked up the recently fired titan missile, then he brought it back. So I slid it on the titan and let it rip, he chased it down and brought it back with little to no harm to the missile. I think I may have found the first dog who loves to nerf!

Now that would be awesome to have a dog in a nerf war retrieving large sized ammo. Give him some armor so he won't be injured and you're good to go.

#16 doubleshot

doubleshot

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:17 PM

My brother, 19, who thinks Nerf is retarded, fell in love with a stock LS one day in my top bunk. I walked into my room finding him with the bipod down, scope on, and in a prone position, shooting at my hamsters cage. I didn't really mind because it was the asshole hamster who couldn't stop fucking escaping/chewing his metal cage.
92% of people make up statistics. If you're one of the 8% who don't, put this in your signature

#17 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:28 PM

I think it has something to do with a chemical they use to treat the foam,

That would be butane.
Its what turns liquid polyethylene into foam.
The butane is injected into the mold and bubbles up the liquid plastic.
Once cooled you have backer rod.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 02 September 2008 - 09:30 PM.

I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#18 nerfer9

nerfer9

• Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:43 PM

My brother, 19, who thinks Nerf is retarded, fell in love with a stock LS one day in my top bunk. I walked into my room finding him with the bipod down, scope on, and in a prone position, shooting at my hamsters cage. I didn't really mind because it was the asshole hamster who couldn't stop fucking escaping/chewing his metal cage.

My friend used to use his recon to annoy his lizards alot. he used them as target practice.... emphasis on used...

Edited by nerfer9, 02 September 2008 - 09:43 PM.

#19 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:52 PM

Sweet! Now if you could only teach him to do simple barrel replacements and pull a trigger with his tongue. That would be something.
-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

#20 TimmyTown

TimmyTown

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:24 PM

Now that would be awesome to have a dog in a nerf war retrieving large sized ammo. Give him some armor so he won't be injured and you're good to go.

I dont think he would need armor. The dog is a freaking tank, no really he is. He broke his knee before he was one and ran, jumped, and did just fine with it for weeks. He didnst start limping until maybe a few weeks after the fact. We took him in to the vet and they got all pissed because we hadnt taken him in and didnt believe us that he had JUST started limping until they tried to drug him and it took like 3-4 shots to get him to sleep. One time we were wrestling and I dislocated his shoulder he yelped, limped, popped it back in, and then came and tackled me again.

He doesnt need any god damn armor. Unfortunately there is no way in hell I would bring him to a nerf war. Hes like ADHD to the max. He would just run around annoying the fuck out of everyone for a couple of hours then find some foam to devour.

I think it has something to do with a chemical they use to treat the foam,

That would be butane.
Its what turns liquid polyethylene into foam.
The butane is injected into the mold and bubbles up the liquid plastic.
Once cooled you have backer rod.

Do they also use this in like foam earplugs? My cat will open drawers (she sticks her paw in the handle thingy) to get at those damn things. My mom now keeps hers in a ziplock baggy inside of a chest.

God I have some foam loving animals, if only they shared that love with the love of plastic too (sigh).

#21 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 03:09 AM

I may have a solution to your dart eating problem.

Okay, well, I have two solutions.

One, don't shoot your guns in the house (because we all know stefans + mom's new vase/the newly cleaned kitchen window = shit out of luck) and the dog won't be able to chase after (and eat) them. An added bonus is that Joe Nerfer can then spend his money on gas to travel to nerf wars or (in rare cases) actually take a woman to dinner.

Option number two is slightly more expensive, but would be effective especially if you have indoor wars etc. frequently, or for some other reason can't help but shoot your guns inside.

After every batch of darts you run off, spray over the mass of them lightly with some cheap form of this and the dog will learn to leave them alone mighty quick. Just hit them all with the spray after they've had a little time in the drying rack, and your darts will live for YEARS unmolested under your couch, etc.

Edited by Falcon, 03 September 2008 - 03:22 AM.

----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#22 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:49 AM

I have the world's laziest dog. Seriously, I shot him at point blank with a BBBB because he chewed my bedroom carpet, and he didn't react at all! I then did it too my foot and got a nice sore welt.
My dog isn't interested in stefans, but he does like the fishing weights. He has eaten a few, and he was fine, so I wouldn't worry about lead poisoning.
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#23 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:03 PM

Whenever my cat is just yelling at me, (yes, she yells. Or barks.) I shoot a nerf dart right past her face. She doesn't realize that it happens about two seconds after, and runs away to hunt the dart that scared her. I don't do it anymore because she is like, 12. She's old.
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#24 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:05 PM

I wish my dog could do that. My dog is really, really dumb. An example of that my dog barks after the mail man leaves. My dog is also afraid of the guns.
QUOTE(Zaxbys @ Mar 2 2009, 02:08 PM) View Post
I won't be there til about 1-2...

Church... gotta soak up that Jesus!

NERFSTRONG #51

#25 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:09 PM

Do we REALLY have a thread about whether or not our pets like nerf darts? Seriously??? Y'know, nerfhq is there for a reason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users