Anyone interested

30 replies to this topic

#1 venom213

venom213

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • State:Minnesota

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:24 PM

NerfCrazy and I have been talking about this for a while. We are planning to take a Effeminate road trip from Minnesota to New Jersey for Apoc 09'. Him and I are the only people who are mostly sure that we are going. We are looking for some other people to go with us. His dad is most likely going to be our driver. NerfCrazy figured that if we had enough people to fill the van, each person would have to pay about $150 for gas, that covers both ways. I know it is a bit early to be asking this, but better now than late. So is anybody from the MN area interested?

Edited by venom213, 01 September 2008 - 08:24 PM.

#2 NerfCrazy

NerfCrazy

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:43 PM

Actually it is a Pontiac Vibe and gets about 34 mpg. It can comfortably hold 3 people plus the driver but I am not sure that anyone would want to cram 4 people in there.

Here are my calculations
My house to the war site = 1239 miles
* $5 a gallon(hopefully it won't be that high) = 6195
/ 34 MPG = $182 going there for one person
* 2 for the trip back and that is $364 roundtrip for one person
+ food and sleeping arrangements is looking at about $400(it isn't incredibly high because I hope a kind nerfer will house us for a day or two) for one person.

With two people the grand total is $220
Three is $160
Four(we are very close together at this point) is $140 per person

The price didn't go down as much as you may have expected because of food expenses.

Edited by NerfCrazy, 01 September 2008 - 08:59 PM.

#3 venom213

venom213

• Members
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:02 PM

Thanks for the extra math. I think we should try and keep the meals on the cheap. I'm not saying eat McDonald's for every meal, but just something relatively low cost. Also, I hope the driver doesn't want to go non-stop, but I would appreciate a piss and leg stretch/switch spots break even when we aren't getting food. Is anybody who lives near the war site willing to provide lodging?

Edited by venom213, 01 September 2008 - 09:04 PM.

#4 NerfCrazy

NerfCrazy

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:07 PM

We will of course be stopping regularly to fill up on gas, get food, stretch, switch seats, go to the bathroom, and any other necessities. The food cost was a rough estimate of eating at semi expensive places so people would have enough money saved up to make it without going over budget (one of the worst things ever is being in debt). Also, free lodging would be most appreciated. I also have a roof-top carrier that we could put nerf guns in or other things we bring along.

Edited by NerfCrazy, 01 September 2008 - 09:11 PM.

#5 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:10 PM

That sounds awesome. I would be interested, but Im not sure about money. By the time it rolls around I may be able to have a more definitive answer. So we would be crashing Apoc and DCNO? is that correct? So that would mean nerfing with all the greats in one go. I like it.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#6 venom213

venom213

• Members
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:15 PM

That sounds awesome. I would be interested, but Im not sure about money. By the time it rolls around I may be able to have a more definitive answer. So we would be crashing Apoc and DCNO? is that correct? So that would mean nerfing with all the greats in one go. I like it.

DCNO? Are you talking about how Ryan went there or something, because this is Apoc only I think. You should definatley come with though. The other vets might be blowing their whole budgets on the Geddon trip they are making. I would much rather go to Apoc than Geddon though.

#7 NerfCrazy

NerfCrazy

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:18 PM

If my dad can get time off to also go to DCNO and we all gather up enough money I guess we could.

I shall calculate the cost to go to DCNO and geddon because I am bored.

DCNO
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My house to the war site = 1092 miles
* $5 a gallon(hopefully it won't be that high) = 5460
/ 34 MPG = $160 going there for one person
* 2 for the trip back and that is $320 roundtrip for one person
+ food and sleeping arrangements is looking at about $360(it isn't incredibly high because I hope a kind nerfer will house us for a day or two) for one person.

$180 per person for 2 people
$140 per person for 3 people
$110 per person for 4 people

Geddon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My house to the war site = 1913 miles
* $5 a gallon(hopefully it won't be that high) = 9565
/ 34 MPG = $281 going there for one person
* 2 for the trip back and that is $562 roundtrip for one person
+ food and sleeping arrangements is looking at about $600(it isn't incredibly high because I hope a kind nerfer will house us for a day or two) for one person.

$340 per person for 2 people
$240 per person for 3 people
$190 per person for 4 people

But no one would do that.

Edited by NerfCrazy, 01 September 2008 - 09:27 PM.

#8 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts
  • State:Wisconsin

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:20 PM

As a thought, how about renting a passenger van? That opens it up to 8-12 people, splitting gas and rental costs.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#9 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:20 PM

DCNO? Are you talking about how Ryan went there or something, because this is Apoc only I think. You should definatley come with though. The other vets might be blowing their whole budgets on the Geddon trip they are making. I would much rather go to Apoc than Geddon though.

Wait. Which is east coast and which is west coast? I've been wanting to go to the east coast, but I am unsure which war is where. Please help?

#10 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • State:Washington

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:37 PM

I have no idea when APOC is this time around but if it's when I'm at college, I hate you all.

If not then I'm all for renting a van or taking a car that can hold five... who cares if we're crowded as long as we pay much less. As for food, I concur to cheapness and accommodating half the meals with a full cooler or two would be smart, a little cheaper, and much healthier.
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#11 venom213

venom213

• Members
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:39 PM

Wait. Which is east coast and which is west coast? I've been wanting to go to the east coast, but I am unsure which war is where. Please help?

Apocalypse (Apoc) NJ so=east coast. Armageddon (Geddon) is in Socal=west Coast. DCNO is in MD so it is on the east coast. The older vets: Sam, Ryan, Carrtoon, and Hilt I think are going to geddon in 09'. We want to go to Apoc in 09'.

EDIT: Hilt, Apoc is always the first weekend in August, so seeing as how we had MNCSO on the same day as Apoc happened this year, you should be okay.

Edited by venom213, 01 September 2008 - 09:40 PM.

#12 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:39 PM

I have no idea when APOC is this time around but if it's when I'm at college, I hate you all.

If not then I'm all for renting a van or taking a car that can hold five... who cares if we're crowded as long as we pay much less. As for food, I concur to cheapness and accommodating half the meals with a full cooler or two would be smart, a little cheaper, and much healthier.

I was about to say that we should use a cooler.

#13 NerfCrazy

NerfCrazy

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:40 PM

Apoc is East coast.
Renting a van may work or we could take a bus. Looking into the prices right now.
Looking at a greyhound bus ride. We would leave from Minneapolis MN and arrive in Allendale NJ.
Unfortunately they won't give me prices so I will look into renting a van.

Edited by NerfCrazy, 01 September 2008 - 09:54 PM.

#14 venom213

venom213

• Members
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:46 PM

Apoc is East coast.
Renting a van may work or we could take a bus. Looking into the prices right now.

If it's cheaper, I am all for it. Plus, any ordinary bus is turned into a super awesome party bus once all of us nerfers get on it.

Edited by venom213, 01 September 2008 - 09:47 PM.

#15 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:53 PM

Apoc is East coast.

If it's cheaper, I am all for it. Plus, any ordinary bus is turned into a super awesome party bus once all of us nerfers get on it.

I smell a party and a video project.

"Chronicles of Midwest Nerfers" anyone?

I might be in on this. Im saving up already, and thinking about new projects.

#16 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:54 PM

Actually it is a Pontiac Vibe and gets about 34 mpg. It can comfortably hold 3 people plus the driver but I am not sure that anyone would want to cram 4 people in there.

Here are my calculations
My house to the war site = 1239 miles
* $5 a gallon(hopefully it won't be that high) = 6195
/ 34 MPG = $182 going there for one person
* 2 for the trip back and that is $364 roundtrip for one person
+ food and sleeping arrangements is looking at about $400(it isn't incredibly high because I hope a kind nerfer will house us for a day or two) for one person.

With two people the grand total is $220
Three is $160
Four(we are very close together at this point) is $140 per person

The price didn't go down as much as you may have expected because of food expenses.

Don't expect 34 MPG in your math if you're calculating for 3+ people - weight will drop this number quite a bit. I know you grossly overestimated on gas prices, but I'm just pointing this out so you don't get an "oh shit" moment.

I am willing to provide lodging for you guys - I live in Orefield, PA, which is a little under two hours from any of the more popular venues in New Jersey.

As previously mentioned, Apoc has traditionally been the first weekend in August too, so we are about eleven months off.

#17 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:55 PM

Apoc is East coast.

Cheaper, but it's not a quick way to go, even by road trip standards.

#18 venom213

venom213

• Members
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:59 PM

The crazy thing about that is that I actually made some documentaryish footage before the march war because I thought it was a huge deal. Then I realized it was fucking gay, so I never published a final video of the footage. For something like this, it will actually be interesting.

RAMBO: Thanks for the offer, if we can't find anywhere closer, it's likely that we will highly consider staying at your place. The canadians had a good stay from what I heard. I know it is far off, but I think it is best to get this stuff figured out early on.

Edited by venom213, 01 September 2008 - 10:00 PM.

#19 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:00 PM

Train? My mom suggested the train and Im wondering how much of a possibility that would be. But the party bus would be awesome. Anyone have a commercial drivers license?

#20 NerfCrazy

NerfCrazy

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:03 PM

Apoc is East coast.

Good to hear you are already saving. I too am already saving.
I am currently looking at conversion van rentals. Whoever finds the best rates for a van rental/train tickets/plane tickets/bus tickets and so on wins a free cupcake. The flavors are vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, vanilla/chocolate, all cupcakes can include sprinkles in rainbow colors or just one color.

Rambo: Thanks for pointing that out I completely forgot about that part. I will now recalculate the prices.

Just calculated and it would be about $150 with food estimate and 4 people in the car.

Edited by NerfCrazy, 01 September 2008 - 10:12 PM.

#21 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:08 PM

Train? My mom suggested the train and Im wondering how much of a possibility that would be. But the party bus would be awesome. Anyone have a commercial drivers license?

I checked out Amtrak for getting from St Paul to New Jersey, and it's ~$175 round trip. Three separate trains, roughly 26 hours for the trip.

#22 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:09 PM

I checked out Amtrak for getting from St Paul to New Jersey, and it's ~$175 round trip. Three separate trains, roughly 26 hours for the trip.

Better then driving if you ask me.

Thanks Carbon

#23 venom213

venom213

• Members
  • 1,294 posts

It might be best to stick with a already owned vehicle, or a bus because conversion van renting is just more cost to us poor nerfers.

EDIT: Looks like it might be time for a PAWTY TRAINEEEEE. I rather like the idea of taking a train actually. It's a flat rate, and we will probably have more wiggle room. I also have never taken an actual train anywhere.

Edited by venom213, 01 September 2008 - 10:12 PM.

#24 NerfCrazy

NerfCrazy

• Members
  • 497 posts

That sounds good. More details would be appreciated.
Sounds like we will most likely be taking a train. ~$175 flat rate round trip is not that bad and we would have more room for moving around.
I checked the conversion van and the cheapest one was $179 a day and about $799-$999 a week.

Edited by NerfCrazy, 01 September 2008 - 10:17 PM.

#25 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts
  • State:New Jersey

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:20 PM

I'm on the warpath tonight. I was going to round up all the dumb things I've seen in the thread, but why bother.

FYI for the uninformed:

APOC has always been and will always be the first Sat of August. We've done 7 that way before, why change now?
Making the road trip is pretty badass, but NOT Effeminate. Talk to me when your trip takes you 35,000 ft in the air or across national borders to get there.

That's it. Hope you can make it to APOC NEXT YEAR. Don't think it's worth planning this far in advance to be honest. I doubt your plans will stay the same for that long. Some of you might not even nerf by then anymore. Who knows. And now, back on topic.

If you CAN make it, we will be waiting for you with open arms when you get there.
I hate you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users