Photo

Doomsayer Improvements.

37 replies to this topic

#1 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 06:47 PM

What you are about to read is a combination of improvements and reinforcements to help keep your Doomsayer reliable, strong and easier to use.

First I would like to talk about a problem I had last year before Hell.
Maltese Falcon was checking out my newly finished Doomsayer. He had problems cocking it. I told him to cock it like a man. He then cocked it with a bit too much strength.

This was the result.
Posted Image

After gutting another Rapid fire pump action shotgun for its plunger. I decided to reinforce it.
I took some brass bars and reinforced it. To do this, sand down the plastic and the brass bars then add some super glue and apply pressure. I used Fishin Glue but Zap a Gap should also work.

Posted Image

They have held strong through Hell last year and APOC this year. I seriously doubt I will be having any problems with that happening again.

Next I am going to go through an improved version of the trigger spring addition.

Here is a photo of what it looks like once you have sawed off the safety switch and the trigger taken out.
Posted Image

Cut/sand it all out so it looks like this.
Posted Image

Now take some plastic sheeting and shape down two small rectangles and glue them in place like so.
Posted Image

Cover the outside edges in hot glue to help make sure its going to stay in place. Then add your spring.
Posted Image

Now cover up the back of the springs with hot glue. To help keep it in place.
You will also need to trim back some plastic circles on the other side of the shell for the new trigger catch to fit.

Now this next part is going to cover the trigger.
One thing that used to piss me off with the pump action shotgun was how the catch would break often.
So I came up with a way to strengthen it significantly. The best part is how easy it is.
Due to a break through in modding materials technology with Epoxy putty.
I was able to reinforce this puppy.

In this next photo you will see a reinforced trigger. Basically all you need to do is bridge the gap between top of the catch and the bottom with epoxy putty. Make sure you make it a nice smooth ramp so it doesn't have any problems catching. You will also need to shave down the plunger rod. So it lines up against the trigger like the below picture.
Posted Image

Owning this war machine last year at Hell was wicked but one thing that bothered me about it was only having the 3 holes in the back for reloading. So for Apoc this year I decided to step it up a notch and add three more.
Posted Image

A Short video.

Since the original Doomsayer write up was released it has come to my attention that not one person has been able to successfully recreate it. In case there is some dedicated individual out there. This write up is for you.

Thoughts, Questions, Comments?

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 30 August 2008 - 06:48 PM.

I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#2 Gears

Gears

The boy who lived

• Members
  • 848 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 06:54 PM

:o (Is that a fresh Lancer I see?)

Otherwise, I hope to make a trip to Cabela's eventually to pick up soem new archery equipment, and I really want to try one of these out. It's good to see some reenforcement on the plunger rod. I was suprised that 3 springs could keep that plastic intact.

Edited by Gears, 30 August 2008 - 07:13 PM.

WoW is destroying my life.

-Groove out.

LAWN GNOME LIBERATION FRONT

#3 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 06:59 PM

Thanks a lot Angel. As you might know, I am starting my Doomsayer soon, I already have the stock gun and I'm ordering the PETG soon. I always wondered why there weren't loading holes on both sides of the gun. I will definatley use these tips when modding mine.

Edited by venom213, 30 August 2008 - 07:00 PM.

#4 raw shrimp

raw shrimp

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:38 PM

Good job on the improvements. I was going to make a doomsayer, but thought it too complicated. So I got a pump shot gun instead.

And I think there has been someone to recreate the doomsayer. I don't know if he is on the forums, but someone has made one.

#5 oodalumps

oodalumps

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:47 PM

Since the original Doomsayer write up was released it has come to my attention that not one person has been able to successfully recreate it. In case there is some dedicated individual out there. This write up is for you.

You made this write up just for me! I'll be doing these mods when I find my screwdriver.

Posted Image

#6 Brunta

Brunta

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:00 PM

Even after I thought it couldn't get any better you some how make it even more amazing! Nice fix. I look forward to seeing your next creation.

#7 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:12 PM

Is that CPVC oodalumps?
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#8 oodalumps

oodalumps

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:22 PM

Is that CPVC oodalumps?

No, it's petg with 2" of brass in the back of each barrel.

#9 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:37 PM

I was going to make a doomsayer, but thought it too complicated. So I got a pump shot gun instead.

Same story with me. But a while after I got my Pump shotgun I knew I longed for something more. Particularily a higher rate of fire. I'll see how they compare when I finish both.

#10 Dr Rockzo

Dr Rockzo

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:21 PM

I am planning on making one later this year. IMO it is the ultimate nerf weapon.

#11 CAPS

CAPS

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:33 PM

I held one of those thing before and you do need to be a man to use it. There is alot of weight in the front and you'll need to have some arms to carry that thing, not to mention cocking it.
It's a link to google......you idiots are worse than the spammers.
-Vacc

#12 Skitzo

Skitzo

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 12:20 PM

I've been working on one for the past few weeks on and off.
I was beginning to wonder how the plunger rod was actually holding that much power during APOC.
These additions will defiantly help.
The fish store that sells PETG around me went out of business a week before I decided to take on this project and I'm starting college tomorrow.
Considering that, I don't think I will have this thing working until at least December but I am hoping for a new primary out of this thing eventually.

Skitzo-
If soldiers were to begin to think, not one of them would remain in the army.- Frederick The Great

#13 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 05:26 PM

I started one before I left for college. I got pretty much everything done except fixing the rotating mech. Any tips on that part of the mod?

#14 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 05:48 PM

Just keep fiddling around with the position of the push nut fasteners.
If you did everything like I did in the write up you should be fine.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 31 August 2008 - 05:48 PM.

I know its bad,
After what we had,

#15 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:11 PM

Just to throw my hat in the ring... I do have one of the stock guns, and I will be doing a lightweight version of the Doomsayer mod. I figure that I don't need to put a weapon like that in to the kids' arsenal. I figure that just converting it to micros and removing the safeties and such should be good enough.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#16 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:15 PM

Awesome man. I joined the ranks of the failed doomsayer club a while back. Man I love those Canadian helll cannons. They are like our national symbol now. This makes me want to take another crack at it.
Good job.
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#17 balisticjoe

balisticjoe

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:37 AM

Since this is up I figured I'd ask. What size of OMC's PETG would you recommend? I have never used petg and I am anxious to get some, but I'm broke so I'll have to wait. Second, I know you used random industrial springs, do you know the approximate compression strength of them. If anyone can answer these questions for me that would be a big help. If it matters I use 1\2 frost king Stephans.
There Are No Stupid Questions, But There Are A Lot Of Inquisitive Idiots.

#18 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 04:53 PM

I would recommend thick wall.
You want a tight fit anyway.
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#19 Z4

Z4

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:07 PM

I received one awhile ago with the intention of doing this, and failed so badly that I haven't touched it in 8 months. I feel I have accumulated enough experience to give it another go, so I just want to ask a few questions.

1. Do you think that a cut down +bow spring would be too powerful for it?

2. Would some heavy gauge sheet steel work as well as the brass bars?

I can't think of any others for now but I'm sure as I get deeper into it that there will be more.

Edited by .Z4., 01 September 2008 - 08:11 PM.

Z4 of the NIC
"We are here to have fun with the toys we love in a civilized and friendly manner."- Talio

#20 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:20 PM

1: Probably not.

2: No clue.
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#21 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:22 PM

After I saw this topic, I went and reviewed the original writeup. The first time, I got to step 4, my eyes glassed over, and I wept. However, upon further examination, I realized that this thing isn't actually that bad. I mean, it seems way less intimidating than, say, a full Longshot overhaul--largely because step 4 turned out to be utterly superfluous. C'est la vie... What I DON'T get is why the fuck these things aren't popping up like mushrooms. They make most guns look like...well...child's play. ~Rork
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#22 Dr Rockzo

Dr Rockzo

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:25 PM

I think it would be a good idea to edit these improvments into the origional writeup. This gun is a beast. Great work.

#23 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:23 PM

I recently modded mine with 6" CPVC barrels (my darts are way too narrow for even thick wall PETG...they're actually 1/2" diameter). I did all of the rotation mech and turret seal improvements, and while it still doesn't always rotate perfectly, it isn't too bad.

I haven't messed with the plunger and springs at all because, frankly, I'm afraid that I will ruin the plunger head.

Anyway, I have two questions:
1. What thickness of brass bars did you use?
2. What do you think of purposefully cutting apart the plunger shaft in order to add a spring, then using brass bars (similar to this reinforcement) to put it back together?

Edited by jwasko, 01 September 2008 - 09:24 PM.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#24 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:10 PM

Would someone who has one of these be willing to share the plunger head/tube dimensions? Thanks. ~Rork
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#25 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:16 PM

1. What thickness of brass bars did you use?
2. What do you think of purposefully cutting apart the plunger shaft in order to add a spring, then using brass bars (similar to this reinforcement) to put it back together?

1. I have no idea.
2. Very bad idea.
I know its bad,
After what we had,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users