Has anyone else ever done this?

24 replies to this topic

#1 Magic

Magic

Formerly NerfOnFier

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 540 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:52 PM

A few days ago I was playing around with my crossbow when I had decided to make a flip barrel. I wasn't to pleased with it so I just used my single barrel again. I started thinking wouldn't it be a good idea to put ammo holders on the end of a barrel? So I did... Here are the pictures.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Questions? Comments? Flames?

#2 raw shrimp

raw shrimp

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:55 PM

Doesn't that obscure your aiming?

#3 Magic

Magic

Formerly NerfOnFier

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 540 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:56 PM

To be honest, no. Actually if there aren't any stefans in the top holder, it helps my aiming.

#4 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:57 PM

A few days ago I was playing around with my crossbow when I had decided to make a flip barrel. I wasn't to pleased with it so I just used my single barrel again. I started thinking wouldn't it be a good idea to put ammo holders on the end of a barrel? So I did... Here are the pictures.

Questions? Comments? Flames?

I was going to mention your line of sight too...

But, additionally, it may become hard to grab a dart without knocking another one out... have you test fired a whole "clip" to see how fast you can do it? It might be a bit more functional if you pushed the darts further in, that way it would be easy to push them out and grab one to put in the barrel.

I do like the idea - might be able to tweak it for functionality, though.

Edited by RAMBO, 29 August 2008 - 06:58 PM.

#5 Magic

Magic

Formerly NerfOnFier

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 540 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:58 PM

That may help, this is just a prototype I created when I got bored. I've seen people put ammo holders on just the crossbow, but I don't like that look.

#6 Salmon

Salmon

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:59 PM

"Has anyone else ever done this?"

Yes. It's useful, but I wouldn't do it on a gun like a crossbow. At least for me, I couldn't be able to aim and all my shots would be crappy, which defeats the purpose of a crossbow. But on a pistol-sized gun, i.e. the EaB, it works great.

EDIT: However, if it works for you, go for it.

Edited by Salmon, 29 August 2008 - 07:00 PM.

Welcome to I-dont-care-isburg, population: me.
We're located in I-Don't-Give-a-Damn County, in scenic Shut-the-Hell-Up-achussets.
Maybe you're familiar with our annual charity drive where we ask for shit, and no one gives any.

#7 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:00 PM

yeah...its a good idea, you are putting your hand there already, but its doesnt hold that many dartsso i would use it thought...but i have clip that attaches to my hip that holds 20 stefans that are secure but are easy to pull out.
QUOTE View Post

That's about it. And thanks Angela who helped me with these pictures.. It looks huge in her hands.

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

#8 Magic

Magic

Formerly NerfOnFier

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 540 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:00 PM

I see, but keep in mind it's a coupler and I can always just remove it and put in a straight barrel. It's not perminant.

#9 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:01 PM

http://nerfhaven.com/mods/cxwq_eab
CXWQ thought of it.
We Ride together, we die together, Bad boys for life.

#10 Magic

Magic

Formerly NerfOnFier

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 540 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:07 PM

There's a bit of a difference between his ammo holder and mine. His is a slide on without a coupler, mine is glued onto a barrel.

#11 UpperHand

UpperHand

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:12 PM

This reminds me of a homemade turret that I built recently. I think that the ammo holders are fine, because they don't really stick out of the gun more than a 1/2" anyways.
My SCR-6
My Homemade Sidearm
The least you could do is tell me some advice. geese!

-- Headshot 21

#12 Mr Tubb

Mr Tubb

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:12 PM

I've done this before with one of my PVC blowguns, but it was made out of paper. It was convenient, but I prefer the felt bag I attached to my foam vest. It'll hold ~100 darts, and it's conveniently placed at my hip.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side."
-Han Solo; Star Wars: A New Hope (IV)

#13 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:13 PM

I did it too. But I put them back about an inch or so, and on both ends. I would fire, then load a dart in the front of the barrel, then flip it around in the coupler. It works pretty decently, since in my current project speed loaders aren't an option right now.

Edit: A quick commentary: Is your name supposed to be Fire? Or was Fier intentional?

Edited by Splitlip, 29 August 2008 - 07:18 PM.

Teehee.

#14 Magic

Magic

Formerly NerfOnFier

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 540 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:14 PM

I've done this before with one of my PVC blowguns, but it was made out of paper. It was convenient, but I prefer the felt bag I attached to my foam vest. It'll hold ~100 darts, and it's conveniently placed at my hip.

Don't get me wrong.. I'm still going to be using a mesh bag clipped onto my belt, but this is for faster reloading, instead of opening the bag, taking the dart out, closing the bag, etc..

#15 Mr Tubb

Mr Tubb

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:53 PM

Don't get me wrong.. I'm still going to be using a mesh bag clipped onto my belt, but this is for faster reloading, instead of opening the bag, taking the dart out, closing the bag, etc..

I know it's meant for that. It's just like having an ammo holder built into the gun, but you can't practically have 60 or so ammo holders on a gun. My homemade bag doesn't (or very rarely) closes by itself, and is always upright, so I don't have to open/close it every time. And, to refill it, you only have to shove a handful of darts in (as opposed to putting darts one by one into dart holders.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side."
-Han Solo; Star Wars: A New Hope (IV)

#16 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 10:56 PM

This is very practical and easy to do and actually might help some (Some not all) people aim with the crossbow. The only thing I really am wondering about is the stability of it. It looks very flimsy, Is it?
QUOTE(Zaxbys @ Mar 2 2009, 02:08 PM) View Post
I won't be there til about 1-2...

Church... gotta soak up that Jesus!

NERFSTRONG #51

#17 Magic

Magic

Formerly NerfOnFier

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 540 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 10:58 PM

Not at all actually. The hot glue was enough to hold it on and I just added some E-tape for extra help.

#18 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:00 PM

Not at all actually. The hot glue was enough to hold it on and I just added some E-tape for extra help.

Ok, But I personally would epoxy it or super glue it along with a little hot glue just to be safe. I like this very much, it also looks very cool.
QUOTE(Zaxbys @ Mar 2 2009, 02:08 PM) View Post
I won't be there til about 1-2...

Church... gotta soak up that Jesus!

NERFSTRONG #51

#19 Magic

Magic

Formerly NerfOnFier

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 540 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:02 PM

Thank yuh. :P

#20 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:16 PM

I find that ammo holders on the side of a gun work wonders, and with the mesh bag, I use a medium stuff bag from AREI and ammo holders on my gun. I use my dart bag to reload my gun ammo holders as its easier to grab for a dart that I can see instead of blind faith in my bag.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#21 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:17 PM

I did it too. But I put them back about an inch or so, and on both ends. I would fire, then load a dart in the front of the barrel, then flip it around in the coupler. It works pretty decently, since in my current project speed loaders aren't an option right now.

Edit: A quick commentary: Is your name supposed to be Fire? Or was Fier intentional?

Teehee.

#22 Magic

Magic

Formerly NerfOnFier

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 540 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 05:46 AM

My name was supposed to be Fier intentionally because my last name is Fierstein. It's sort of a play on words. :P

#23 FERD

FERD

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:10 AM

I agree that it is very practical.
Im not nice...................... I KICK BABIES

#24 PirateShow

PirateShow

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 01:07 PM

I've done a similar thing: when I was doing the basic mods on my BBB, I had just picked up the Spidey dart tag set. Both of the Spidey dart holders got hot glued near the front of the BBB's body, and they make it a very efficient piece to use.
Biff! Pow! Whammo!

#25 FERD

FERD

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 02:11 PM

That doesn't seem like it's close to his idea. Yours is closer to glueing nitefinder ammo holders onto the side of a gun.
Im not nice...................... I KICK BABIES

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users