First Time Painting Problem

Removing masking tape residue?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 03:43 PM

Okay, this is my first time painting a nerf gun (any anything with spray paint really). I've already put down a nice layer of clear primer, 2-4 coats of the paint, and 2-3 coats of purity seal (clear coat). I used masking tape to cover up bits that i wanted covered and everything.

The problem is, when i took the masking tape off one portion of the gun, it left a nasty slightly-sticky residue on it. This leads me to believe that i put the tape on while the clear coat was still drying. Is there anyway i can smooth it out/get it off without having to re-paint it? Maybe just putting on a new coat of clear coat?
"I don't always drink beer. But when I do,
I beat my wife."

#2 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 04:13 PM

I think we just got the tape a few weeks ago, probably less. Have you ever done that to a paintjob? I'm not so sure the duct tape would be a good idea, but thanks for the suggestion.
"I don't always drink beer. But when I do,
I beat my wife."

#3 TheNerfLoki

TheNerfLoki

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 04:28 PM

I would just sand it off and repaint that area. I think just some bob has the right idea though. This is one of the reasons why I use acrylic paint now, no need for tape with acrylic.
Am I the only one who uses the sig function for a sig?
TNL,

#4 sidamazo

sidamazo

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:14 PM

Yea, I agree sand it down and try again.

BUT WAIT. I think it helps when you use layers of masking tape. When I say that, what I mean is that you should cover up the edges of the tape with more tape.

#5 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:24 PM

Goo-be-gone from the dollar store or Goof-off from Home depot (stronger and slightly more expensive). Use an extremely little amount. This stuff will scuff granite. It's made to take off adhesives though.
Teehee.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users