Soldering

Brass and steel??

13 replies to this topic

#1 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:38 PM

I need to join a small steel rod to the outside of a brass tube without having it break or deform the brass. The joint won't be under any stress, just the friction of brass in brass. I thought soldering would be the best, but my dad said you can't solder brass and steel. I just thought I would ask you guys if it would work or if you have another idea. Thanks!

#2 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 04:02 PM

Um, you might wanna try welding. But i'm no expert at bonding metals.
"I don't always drink beer. But when I do,
I beat my wife."

#3 Daecu

Daecu

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 04:20 PM

Nope, I'm pretty sure you're dad is right on this one. Soldering won't be a strong bond for that situation. Welding is the way to go, like Norther_of_Heaven said.

#4 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 04:22 PM

Definitely. Soldering is only good for connecting thin wires.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#5 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 05:25 PM

Bob is right here. If you're hell bent on soldering it, use silver solder and a very high temp solder gun or iron if you can find one. I suggest prepping the brass and steel as well. For the brass use brass cleaner and let dry, and steel warm if not hot water and soap and let dry.

Personally, I would just use retention brackets. I would probably start wit 2+ "westerners" as my boss calls them. I assume that's the right name.
Teehee.

#6 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:42 PM

A: welding would deform the brass, and I need it to be a barrel. B: I do not have a welder.

Splitlip: What's a retention bracket?

#7 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:52 PM

I was thinking of something similar to this. The pipe would go through the ring, and the bolt would push down on the rod. Put two or more of these along the pipe for a pretty secure connection.

These would probably work well too. I'm surprised I didn't think of it before. analogkid uses these on Daedalus, that monster.

These are used to hang water pipes from ceilings at variable levels and would work too.

I can't find any pictures of the Westerners though. I have some at my house. I can take some pictures and upload them to you Tuesday at the earliest if you want.

Edit: Can you tell I used to work construction?

Edited by Splitlip, 29 August 2008 - 08:54 PM.

Teehee.

#8 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:11 PM

Yea definitely thaanks for the help I might have made my choice by Tuesday but upload if you want.

#9 Bullshit Dragon

Bullshit Dragon

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 10:30 PM

I need to get in on this simply because I'm a career welder.

You cannot weld the steel rod and the brass tubing, but you can braze them together. Brazing is used to join dissimilar metals (copper/brass wire to steel plates) or to make hasty repairs (stool broke and you need to fix it.)

Needless to say, you need an oxy-acetylene welder and brazing rod. That'll set you back around $1,000. My advice is to listen to the guys in the NIC and go with the clamps. My only other recommendation on your problem is epoxy and lots of it.
Gimme back my bullets....

#10 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:26 AM

Thank you for all the help. I will try jb weld first becasue I don't have to buy anything. The clamps would work, if it all didn't have to fit in 1/2" pvc.

#11 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:38 AM

Bob is right here. If you're hell bent on soldering it, use silver solder and a very high temp solder gun or iron if you can find one. I suggest prepping the brass and steel as well. For the brass use brass cleaner and let dry, and steel warm if not hot water and soap and let dry.

Personally, I would just use retention brackets. I would probably start wit 2+ "westerners" as my boss calls them. I assume that's the right name.

If you're using silver solder you typically have to heat the pieces with a butane torch, not a soldering iron. I would only recommend silver-soldering parts together if they are brass, silver, or copper.

With that said, does this steel rod HAVE to be steel? Or could you replace it with brass?

As Bullet Dragon pointed out you can braze them together, but it's very difficult.

JB Weld is your best bet if you want to bond dissimilar metals.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 30 August 2008 - 11:43 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#12 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 01:21 PM

It's not specifically a steel rod, just a nail. I tried JB Weld but I can't seem to line them up for a long enough time to let the glue cure.

#13 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 01:39 PM

Clamp it? A bench vise also works wonders.
Teehee.

#14 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 01:45 PM

I have a vice but the rod and tube are different sizes, so I don't know how I'd clamp it. I think I'll use jb kwik and I'll just hold it for four minutes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users