Photo

Where's The Foam?

14 replies to this topic

#1 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:21 AM

Okay, so I've seen some stuff on the forum, specifically by RAMBO and Just Some Bob in the Nerf Armor and LAW rocket launcher topics, in General Nerf and Homemades respectively. What they said was that the said things should be considered nerf because they didn't involve foam. I'd just like to point out that there are some guns out there that don't use foam, but are still considered Nerf, E.G. The entire line of Vortex blasters, which shoot rubber rings, and the Larami Supermaxx Ball Blaster, which shoots vinyl balls.

In my opinion, having to shoot foam would be a great requirement for nerf blasters, if it weren't for the ones I had mentioned.

So what are the correct criteria to make a blaster a "Nerf" gun?
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#2 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts
  • State:Wisconsin

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:21 AM

In my opinion, having to shoot foam would be a great requirement for nerf blasters, if it weren't for the ones I had mentioned.

I donít think two exceptions (and rare ones at that) invalidate the rule.

Nerf blasters shoot foam: thatís our base rule, and itís a good one. Arguments would have to be made for anything else. Exceptions can be made to the rule on a case-by-case basis, but theyíre so rare as to be inconsequential. Does anyone regularly use a Vortex on the field?
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#3 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:35 AM

Okay, so I've seen some stuff on the forum, specifically by RAMBO and Just Some Bob in the Nerf Armor and LAW rocket launcher topics, in General Nerf and Homemades respectively. What they said was that the said things should be considered nerf because they didn't involve foam.

So what are the correct criteria to make a blaster a "Nerf" gun?

Where did I say this?

My feeling is the propulsion method is more what makes a blaster Nerf-worthy. As long as it's firing something soft, cushy, etc. then it's viable in a war - shit, I wouldn't care if you showed up at my war with a Titan modded to shoot an intact roll of paper towels - all I care about is that it's not so powerful that it has people worried OR it doesn't make you indomitable.

#4 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:00 AM

Rambo, I'm pretty sure it was you. Guess I was wrong.

Edited by Ubermensch, 28 August 2008 - 11:30 AM.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#5 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  • State:Virginia

Posted 28 August 2008 - 02:52 PM

Who gives a fuck? Just go shoot people with darts.
SexD Warves

#6 Llama Boy

Llama Boy

• Banned
  • 208 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:14 PM

Ok so I made cheap ammo out of napkins! Sue me. Really guys isnt nerf about fun? Seriously atleast I contributed something. I worked hard on that stuff and you flame me because I made ammo out napkins. Whats your problem? So because you dont like it you can just get all pissed at it. And regarding the armor, someone brought up the Manta. The manta shield is made of plastic not foam. Give the new guys a break!
Truce.

#7 Dr Rockzo

Dr Rockzo

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:32 PM

I have no idea what's going on.

#8 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:33 PM

The manta is the exception to the whole shield rule though... It's a gun and shield. As long as it shoots foam I'm cool with it.

#9 Llama Boy

Llama Boy

• Banned
  • 208 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:38 PM

Dr.Rockzo - Some members here got pist off at my LAW rockets because they are made from napkins. And they flamed a new guy when he made armor out of pvc.

But napkins are soft,cheap,and easy to make ammo out of. I dont know what I did wrong by posting them.

Edited by Llama Boy, 28 August 2008 - 03:40 PM.

Truce.

#10 aamiller321

aamiller321

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:13 PM

IMO as long as the thing being fired is soft and pliable it's allright to use in a war. Nickles aren't pliable IMO.
QUOTE(sidamazo @ Nov 20 2008, 03:51 PM) View Post

y the hell r u here?
Challenge me
QUOTE(CoasterDynamix757 @ Jul 5 2009, 11:29 AM) View Post

Ice, is it your time of the month again?

#11 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:53 PM

Now that the discussion has shifted towards what is usable in a war, I'll throw my two cents in.

Firing nickels and napkins out of a PVC cannon isn't nerf. Therefore it shouldn't be posted as a nerf homemade or allowed in a war. I'm sure it's fun to shoot nickels out of a PVC cannon; it's also fun to smash things with sledge hammers, but since it has nothing to do with nerf guns or nerf wars I don't post about it here. I didn't read your topic but I assume people got pissed at you because you posted it as a nerf homemade, which it's not. It's just an air cannon shooting dangerous projectiles.

And as for PVC armor...grow a pair. I can see doing it for fun just to see how it works but there's really no reason to post it here. People flame you when you post dumb shit, and armor for nerf wars is a dumb idea because we're using nerf guns. If we were using nickel ammo that could put a hole in someone, maybe armor would have a place in our hobby, but we're firing darts so it doesn't.

Both of these are fine ideas and something that could be fun to try when you're bored. Nothing more, nothing less. So don't post about them on a forum dedicated to having wars with plastic toys and except a warm reception and a pat on the back.
SexD Warves

#12 Llama Boy

Llama Boy

• Banned
  • 208 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:58 PM

If you would of read my thread you would of known I stoped using nickels.
Truce.

#13 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts
  • State:New York

Posted 28 August 2008 - 06:36 PM

Hmm, using specific names: probably not a good idea. Making this thread: also not a good idea. Nerf is nerf. Non-Expanding Recreational FOAM. That's all you need to know.

#14 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:15 PM

If you would of read my thread you would of known I stoped using nickels.

...And? That's it? You've gone from having a dangerous PVC cannon to a PVC cannon that's slightly less likely to injure someone. My original point that it's nothing more than a fun toy and isn't a nerf gun still stands, and since that's the main point of this discussion I don't know why you take issue with my pointing that out. You posted a PVC cannon and labeled it as a nerf homemade and when people pointed out that it wasn't you got pissed and started whining. If you'd been able to take a bit of criticism and admit that you made a mistake maybe I'd have read a bit more of your thread instead of writing it off as a bad idea and moving on to something else.

I've said it several times: I don't care if you made a PVC cannon to fire whatever type of ammo whether it's nickels or pieces of foam insulation. It isn't a nerf gun and it shouldn't be posted as one. I just reread your topic all the way through and all I saw was people pointing out problems in your design and the fact that it wasn't a nerf gun. In fact I didn't see anyone getting angry, including you, so I think you've misconstrued criticism for flaming. I've gotten more than a little off topic here so I'll stop right here so this doesn't turn in to name calling and penis waving. I like your PVC cannon, I just don't like it being called a nerf gun. Period.

Edited by NerfMonkey, 28 August 2008 - 08:32 PM.

SexD Warves

#15 nook

nook

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:03 PM

Hello, i'm the guy who posted the fourm on "nerf armor" and got flamed for many reasons:
1. Armor is illegal in a nerf war,
2. putting a PVC pipe on your arm looks dumb,
And 3. The armor has nothing to do with nerf because it shot no darts or as one user posted "NO FOAM"

But, here's the background story which my guess is no one except for about ten people on earth know.

I had created a cheap cardboard armor which had a Shield/Dart blaster arm which was completely electronic. The arm's shield and dart blaster were all button controlled and small battery holders conviniently onto the guard. It could shoot good dart tag darts over 40' and was all compressed into a right arm of the entire armor.
The cardboard could withstand any retail gun and a titan at 4' away. The armor also made the user about 5" taller, an extra bonus.

The reason i made the post was to attempt to get HELPFUL ideas from others for the start of a PVC suit. Instead I got flamed from people that didn't like that idea. Anyway, if you would like to see the finished product, PM me and I will send u a link when finished. As for everyone else, and those who flamed me without an acceptable reason, you may never know.

Sorry for any grammar errors

Edited by nook, 28 August 2008 - 09:11 PM.

92% of teens have moved on to rap.
If you are part of the 8% who still listen to "real music",
copy and paste this into your signature

If the gun is innaccurate, make a longer barrel.
If the bullet doesn't come out of the barrel, get a new gun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users