Photo

Ls Blow Gun

22 replies to this topic

#1 Not Ender

Not Ender

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:50 AM

After modding my Longshot and wondering what do do with the front gun, I came up with the idea for a Nerf blow gun.

http://img187.images...mage=003fm0.jpg

All you have to do is remove the barrel from the front gun and there you go. A silent and fairly accurate gun that is great for wars in the dark.

EDIT: First post, how do I make the image show up on the post, not just the link?

Edited by Ender!, 26 August 2008 - 10:51 AM.

Speak softly and carry a titan.

#2 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:55 AM

Nice and stickied for ya:
http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=1497

The darts are not going to be pushed out by a breath of air through that thing. The air is just going to go around it.. There's no seal by far between the dart and the barrel.
Teehee.

#3 TheNerfLoki

TheNerfLoki

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:57 AM

There is a picture of a tree in the post screen. Press that to post a picture. To be effective wouldn't you have to be right next to the target. or does it have a pump or something. My computer is having issues with images today so i can't tell.
Am I the only one who uses the sig function for a sig?
TNL,

#4 Not Ender

Not Ender

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 11:14 AM

Thanks for the help splitlip.

It actually works if you use taggers, I get them 10-15 feet on one breath of air.

#5 Mr Tubb

Mr Tubb

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 11:31 AM

All you have to do is remove the barrel from the front gun and there you go. A silent and fairly accurate gun that is great for wars in the dark.

Interesting idea. However, a better alternative (in my opinion) would be to get a piece of 1/2" ID PVC pipe, about 3 feet or so long, and use taggers with that. Just an idea; it would shoot much further.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side."
-Han Solo; Star Wars: A New Hope (IV)

#6 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 12:06 PM

Interesting idea. However, a better alternative (in my opinion) would be to get a piece of 1/2" ID PVC pipe, about 3 feet or so long, and use taggers with that. Just an idea; it would shoot much further.

You don't need any more than 9 to 12 inches of your typically effective barrel material. There's absolutely no reason to use anything so horrendously long considering the size of the projectile.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#7 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 12:34 PM

The LS extension is too loose and 1 foot or a little less of PVC will solve that problem. For stefans, use whatever is a little snug on your darts.
Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#8 eddieoctane

eddieoctane

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 12:43 PM

You don't need any more than 9 to 12 inches of your typically effective barrel material. There's absolutely no reason to use anything so horrendously long considering the size of the projectile.

Well, considering real blowguns are a few feet long, I could see why someone would want to use a longer barrel.

My question: why the hell a nerf blowgun? The weight of the projectile makes the rage incredibly short compared to a normal blaster. And if you want to carry around a long piece of tubing and get your self winded from trying to get off a few shots while running around, be my guest. I just find it a bad idea.
C8H18

#9 Dr Rockzo

Dr Rockzo

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 12:47 PM

With my 12" pvc i can easily out shoot a stock NF or mav. And its just fun to do.

#10 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 12:49 PM

Actually, Mr. Tubb is more or less correct; I've done some experimentation with 1/2'' sch. 40 blowguns and taggers/stock micros, and I actually got the best performance from 4-41/2' of pipe. My guess is that this has to do with the fact that 1/2'' sch 40 pvc is a bit too large, the darts are outsized and uneven, and the whole system is woefully inefficient. I've actually been thinking about trying this with zero darts, just to see what happens. ~Rork
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#11 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 04:12 PM

Thanks for the help splitlip.

It actually works if you use taggers, I get them 10-15 feet on one breath of air.

10-15 feet is the most pitiful blowgun range I have ever heard.

Posted Image

Accurate to 100' (slightly angled for long distance shots)

The one with the NF shell is made out of 1/2" steel. I can shotgun 10-12 darts at a time out of it and rain foam on my enemies.

The other two are just 1/2" PVC. I never use them outside because humidity renders them useless.

It mainly depends on your lung capacity, though. I probably get such good results because I played large brass instruments for 4 years.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#12 Not Ender

Not Ender

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 04:58 PM

You can get 100' using Nerf darts?

#13 Mr Tubb

Mr Tubb

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:45 PM

I got close to that with my 1/2" PVC blowgun and a good tagger dart, so yes.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side."

#14 AJZ

AJZ

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:55 PM

I made a blowgun out of brass, but the only problem is they only come in 1 foot lengths. I got maximum 70' with a big ass blow and that was with cut streamlines. Normally it gets average 50-60'.

Edited by AJ.Z, 26 August 2008 - 05:57 PM.

#15 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:57 PM

That's also most likely using Homemade darts, which have better performance, and accuracy, than regular nerf darts.
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#16 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:09 PM

That's also most likely using Homemade darts, which have better performance, and accuracy, than regular nerf darts.

If you read my post you would have noticed that I said:

The other two are just 1/2" PVC.

and realized that 1/2" PVC is definitely NOT the right size for stefans.

I also believe I've made it clear in about 20 threads that I never use homemade darts. ^_^

Those ranges are with tagger darts. Homemade darts and LS darts do not work in these blowguns. You would need a SCH80 PVC blowgun for those.

Mr. Tubb is right. 100' ranges are easily achievable with blowguns and nerf darts. Suction darts don't always work well in PVC, but taggers perform beautifully.

It all depends on lung-power. The only problem is that you're screwed if something hilarious happens in a war. Laughing is your worst enemy when you depend on your lungs to shoot. :lol:

#17 Mr Tubb

Mr Tubb

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:54 PM

The only problem is that you're screwed if something hilarious happens in a war. Laughing is your worst enemy when you depend on your lungs to shoot. :lol:

A good example of this was when my friends, my friend's dad, and I had a blowgun war at a RV park playground (we were camping at the time) and the dad's blowgun jammed. So, instead of a dart flying out when he blew into it, it made a hilarious trumpet-like sound.

#18 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:06 PM

Like was said before, the barrel is inproper dimensions for a good blow gun. And the ridges let air escape. Insted you could put that on the end of the LS and make it look cooler.

#19 AJAQ

AJAQ

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:07 PM

Well, considering real blowguns are a few feet long, I could see why someone would want to use a longer barrel.

My question: why the hell a nerf blowgun? The weight of the projectile makes the rage incredibly short compared to a normal blaster. And if you want to carry around a long piece of tubing and get your self winded from trying to get off a few shots while running around, be my guest. I just find it a bad idea.

Not really. I can hit 45 feet with a thing of PETG and FBR darts. It really isn't that hard.

I don't suggest it over a gun either, but it DOES actually work,

Unless... You just suck at blowing.... :lol:
~AJAQ~

#20 Not Ender

Not Ender

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:27 PM

Yea, if you see the tape in the picture, you can still attach it to the Longshot. You can all use it to ineffectively shoot micros from the titan.

#21 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:47 PM

The only problem is that you're screwed if something hilarious happens in a war. Laughing is your worst enemy when you depend on your lungs to shoot. :lol:

A good example of this was when my friends, my friend's dad, and I had a blowgun war at a RV park playground (we were camping at the time) and the dad's blowgun jammed. So, instead of a dart flying out when he blew into it, it made a hilarious trumpet-like sound.

That happens with PVC due to humidity or crappy darts (like suction cup darts / whistlers). Me and my friends call it "the elephant" and it is the reason we rarely use blowguns outside.

The 1/2" steel pipe I used for one of my blowguns, however, never has this problem. Even with suction cup darts.

#22 DarkKnight

DarkKnight

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 09:35 PM

Well, guys, there's that cheap ($3.99) RuffStuff foam-dart blowgun from Kmart. With a good blow (boy that sounds bad), you could get around 20 to 30 feet. Now, the blowgun tube is pretty loose and the funnel for a mouthpiece is not airtight - so I believe there is definite room for improvement. Plus the stock darts are the cheapie RuffStuff suction darts, so aerodynamics suck as well - and yet you can get 30 feet pretty well.

And, uh, as for silent - I suppose that's relative. Blowing on the tube (dang that's even worse) gets a "whoompf", but definitely not as loud as the homemade air guns...

Losers always whine about their best... Winners go home and fcsk the prom queen.

#23 Not Ender

Not Ender

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:59 AM

Okay, I really messed up my range estimates. I went out this morning and measured. On flat ground with the tube slightly angled, using taggers, I was getting an average of 60'. Not terribly good but better than 10'.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users