Magstrike Pump Issues

Pump handle bounces out.

8 replies to this topic

#1 Gatman600

Gatman600

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 03:00 PM

My friend and I were working on his magstrike and we did angel's mod, took out the green thing and filled that with hot glue. We plugged the hole on the piston and sanded down the shell. I checked all the tubing and there is no leak. I taped the o-ring on the pump and filled the hole in the middle with hot glue and it worked great, solid 50-60' with two clips because thats all we had. But now the pump just bounces out and the bladder holds no air. I am guessing that the one way valve broke but I am lacking in any pneumatics knowledge and am loathe to take apart the air system without a clue.

Posted Image

Posted Image
thats the overpressure

Posted Image
the pump with e-tape

Posted Image
and what I assume is the one way valve

this is only my eigth post so be gentle.

Edited by Gatman600, 24 August 2008 - 03:00 PM.

" I felt a great disturbance...as if a hundred evil bastards on an oil derrick suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. Strange." -Fallout 2

#2 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 04:19 PM

I don't completely understand... the pump falls out the front of the gun or it just extends on its own till the stop?
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#3 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 05:00 PM

I think he means that the air is not going into the bladder. That would mean you're pushing around the same volume of air in the pump, right? I've had the same thing happen on a seperate gun. If that's the case, it means you've sealed off the bladder somehow and the air can't get in.

The one way valve you talked about may have a piece of plastic stuck behind it forcing it closed.

That actually sounds unlikely, but that's the only thing that comes to mind at this point.
"Until we meet in the place where there is no darkness"
-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

Think that piece is beyond repair? Think again!

#4 Gatman600

Gatman600

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 05:00 PM

I don't completely understand... the pump falls out the front of the gun or it just extends on its own till the stop?

The pump just extends on its own. I worked on it with my dad who is a machinist and we figured it out. The check valve was broken by the hot glue we put on the pump, there is no overpressure on the pump. The hole in the pump is there so that the check valve is left untouched, so when we plugged it the hot glue smashed the check valve. So, now I'm getting a check valve to put into the hosing behind the one already there, problem solved.
" I felt a great disturbance...as if a hundred evil bastards on an oil derrick suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. Strange." -Fallout 2

#5 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 05:07 PM

Ah, I didn't think of that. The OPR is on the back of the bladder. Well, I'm glad you found the problem then.
And Machinists are awesome.
-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

#6 Gatman600

Gatman600

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:09 PM

Thanks for the help guys but I'm either going to install that check valve, or I'm going to do a big overhaul involving a bike pump which could be cool. I'll post a write up if I do it.

#7 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:25 AM

Thanks for the help guys but I'm either going to install that check valve, or I'm going to do a big overhaul involving a bike pump which could be cool. I'll post a write up if I do it.

I've tried the same thing with a different gun.

Posted Image

This is a spalding ball pump hooked up to a SM1500 tank. You need the check valve in there too or else you're going to face the same problem as you did with the damaged check valve, the only thing you'll have changed is the pump.

For some reason, I still couldn't get this project to work, but that's beside the point.
-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

#8 jackster57

jackster57

• Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:04 AM

I could sell you a spare magstrke pump/bladder if you are interested. PM me if you are interested.

#9 Gatman600

Gatman600

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:30 PM

We scrapped the old check valve in the magstrike and replaced it with a stem valve from a bike tube. We also banded the bladder with an inner tube so we get about 3 clips out of it, but now there is no pump on the gun. All you do is hook up a bike pump to the valve pump it up to about 50-60psi and off you go, my friend doesn't use it as his primary so he only gets 2 clips out of it most of the time. I'll post a write up tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users