Splitfire Holster

It's a holster...for a Splitfire...

4 replies to this topic

#1 Z4

Z4

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 01:49 PM

I like Splitfires, and haven't seen too many holster writeups for them, so I figured I'd toss mine in.

Materials
1 Nerf Splitfire
1 piece of cardboard-6”x6” worked well (should be sturdy but thin a.k.a. not corrugated)
1 wire coat hanger
Duct tape
Hot glue
Strap from Dart Tag vest or other strap
Cheap dog harness that can be adjusted to fit your leg

Tools
Tin Snips
Hot glue gun
Scissors
Pliers (optional)

First, cut your coat hanger. Try to cut it off as close to the bends as possible to give you the most metal to work with. Now bend the wire around your Splitfire until it fits it fairly well (you may need pliers).
Posted Image
(Sorry about the dismal quality of that image)
Take your piece of cardboard and bend it around the gun. The sides should reach down to the pump, and the front edge should be slightly past the front of the casing. Try to get it broken down enough so it holds its shape. Now, slide the hanger frame over the cardboard, and poke the front ends of the hanger through the cardboard (sounds complicated but look at the picture).
Posted Image
Now, run hot glue around the frame, so it is now glued to the cardboard.
Posted Image
You now get to begin the joy that is wrapping the thing in duct tape…I’m going to skip this step to the one I made earlier to test the principle (that’s why it looks different).
Posted Image
You may need to cut the cardboard where the ammo holders are. Now, take your cheap dog harness (Walmart, $3) and hotglue/duct tape it to the side opposite the side of your body you plan to wear it on (for example, glue the thing to the holster’s left side if you wish to wear it on your right side).
Posted Image
You use the other strap mentioned to attach the dog harness to your belt. I just cut it off of a Dart Tag vest.

It is fairly sturdy, and the Splitfire stays in the holster well. I have since added another strap around the middle for a bit more stability.

**Note: I do not claim that this write-up is completely original; inspiration was taken from the one on Yakman's site***
Z4 of the NIC
"We are here to have fun with the toys we love in a civilized and friendly manner."- Talio

#2 Echnalaid

Echnalaid

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 05:19 PM

That's a nice and quick (cosmetic?) mod. I like holsters, and most holsters I've seen fall off very easily. I like how it's very stable and clips to a belt.

Edited by Echnalaid, 24 August 2008 - 05:20 PM.

There was something on the bottom of the ad that said erotyka. Sounds like something spicy -Renegademilitia15

#3 bartel

bartel

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:11 PM

I used to like holsters... until I tried to use one. In my experience, they're not very reliable. I'd much rather loosen my belt and shove it in. (<That's gonna be added that hilarious quote to my signature, while playing with my butthole)
"I say anyone who knows how to mod a Nerf gun is a badass" -Leaf-o, www.angryaardvark.netfreehost.com

#4 Z4

Z4

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:13 PM

This one seems to be fairly reliable. I can run around with it strapped on and I haven't had the Splitfire fall out once.
Z4 of the NIC
"We are here to have fun with the toys we love in a civilized and friendly manner."- Talio

#5 bartel

bartel

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 08:17 PM

Well that's better than any of my holster in the past. I even had one fail during filming of a movie. We were'nt even fighting.
"I say anyone who knows how to mod a Nerf gun is a badass" -Leaf-o, www.angryaardvark.netfreehost.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users