Steel For Barrel?

Got some 1/2 inner diameter steel and wondering if it would be better

7 replies to this topic

#1 Noob Modder

Noob Modder

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:24 PM

So, I have some 1/2 inch steel lying around, and it has more friction with a micro than pvc does. I know this helps as far as range and power, but I don't want to stick this in my bbb without knowing for sure if I'm right. Am I? :ph34r:
--DMQ
"i gots da good grammers"
"the only thing we have to fear is if the ninjas are coming!"
"mr. macho super-hero serial killer lemur-bear."
i am ninja-pwner

#2 Soothsayer

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:28 PM

Uhhh, in case you didn't get the memo. More friction = less range/power

yeah I'm that guy who made that cool thing with the cool paint.

#3 boisie

boisie

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:39 PM

Not the case with lower power guns though. More friction in a short barrel of less than 3" would allow more power to build up in a springer, making for a much better shot out of a small blaster.
QUOTE(One Man Clan) View Post
You understand what you just did posting a picture of 4 girls on a message board chock full of nerdy virgins, right?
QUOTE(Foamfoot) View Post
Maybe if we download Ubuntu Christian edition, God will help us install it.

#4 Soothsayer

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:44 PM

Not the case with lower power guns though. More friction in a short barrel of less than 3" would allow more power to build up in a springer, making for a much better shot out of a small blaster.

I think steel is the wrong kind of barreling material to put this into effect with though. The inside of steel pipe has lots of sharp snags and such. I'm sure the dart will go far, but after a couple shots of the same dart, it's gonna be shredded like nobodies business

yeah I'm that guy who made that cool thing with the cool paint.

#5 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 12:02 AM

If the inside of the pipe is rough, that means that it has been damaged. The BBB is a large springer, which means that while it delivers lots of air, it does so fairly slowly. The longer it takes for the dart to start moving, the more pressure will be behind it when it does. With my SNAPbow, I get great results with a foot of cpvc, which is so tight that I have to practically hammer the darts in. However: steel tends to be heavy, which is a serious concern when you're dealing with a plastic gun. The only instance of a steel barrel that I know of was AssassinNF's that was used with this; check out his review. Ultimately, though, you just need to read up on nerf ballistics and make your choice based on the characteristics of your foam. ~Rork
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#6 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 12:17 AM

You know, you could just take out all the doubt of trial and error and use some barrel materials which are proven to work.
ie
-CPVC
-9/16" Brass
-17/32" Brass
-PETG.

Heck, if you're fairly new to modding, then a crayola barrel might even be a good choice.
"Until we meet in the place where there is no darkness"
-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

Think that piece is beyond repair? Think again!

#7 raw shrimp

raw shrimp

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 12:37 AM

Dude, just use barrel material that's good for your darts. It doesn't matter what everyone else uses, just use whatever works for you.

#8 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 08:50 PM

So, I have some 1/2 inch steel lying around, and it has more friction with a micro than pvc does. I know this helps as far as range and power, but I don't want to stick this in my bbb without knowing for sure if I'm right. Am I? :D

The 1/2" steel pipe I use has almost zero friction with darts. I use it to shotgun 6 darts out of one barrel.

If you have the same kind of pipe, I do not recomend using it on a BBB. Actually, if you are using stock darts, you are better off cutting off the air-restrictor on the tip of the stock barrel and sticking a crayola barrel inside it. It's a very simple mod and it will give you adequate ranges with stock darts.

Probably dead by now, or something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users