Photo

Old School Vs. New School

With is better and why

24 replies to this topic

Poll: Older vs Newer (117 member(s) have cast votes)

What Guns do you feel are better Old school , Or New school

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 05:57 PM

I was Wondering what the Members on Nerfhaven Thought of the old and new school nerf guns. I have been hearing alot of stuff saying that old school is better then new school and the other way around so i want to get to the bottom of this. If you feel Newer guns are better please post why you think that is and what the best new school gun is, Same thing with older nerf guns

Sorry If this a little off topic

-Icespartan_1114
QUOTE(Zaxbys @ Mar 2 2009, 02:08 PM) View Post
I won't be there til about 1-2...

Church... gotta soak up that Jesus!

NERFSTRONG #51

#2 Red Star

Red Star

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 06:08 PM

Old school.
Back in the day they had amazing Firepower(i.e. 1st gen Nf&Crossbow) before they got all the complaints about power and what-not, But new School you get the New and Fresh guns wanting and calling to be modded.
Honestly Old school will always be better. :D

-Red
Red Star's Big Rad Bow W/ Red Star Breech
The Red Star Breech

Xbox Live- IS2DI RedStar Add me if your up for some games

#3 Renegademilitia15

Renegademilitia15

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:30 PM

Wow. This sort of topic came up a while ago, and you couldn't have searched for it? Use the search function butthead, and mybe you'll be accepted more.
Singled RFS
FA_24's response to Ice's back pain thread:

I used to have that problem until I got circumcised. 15 pounds later I was able to stand up straight.

#4 Gears

Gears

The boy who lived

• Members
  • 848 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:35 PM

Let me point you you in this direction...

Sha-zam!

WoW is destroying my life.

-Groove out.

LAWN GNOME LIBERATION FRONT

#5 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:48 PM

This is the third best gun thread in two days. And the relevant, allowed, discussion could have just been searched for. No best gun. No best gun threads.
Teehee.

#6 Red Star

Red Star

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:55 PM

I'll take it to PM.

Edited by Red Star, 23 August 2008 - 07:57 PM.

Red Star's Big Rad Bow W/ Red Star Breech
The Red Star Breech

Xbox Live- IS2DI RedStar Add me if your up for some games

#7 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:19 PM

Well, Ok I"m sorry that i posted something has been done before, Jesus

Edited by Icespartan_1114, 23 August 2008 - 09:20 PM.

QUOTE(Zaxbys @ Mar 2 2009, 02:08 PM) View Post
I won't be there til about 1-2...

Church... gotta soak up that Jesus!

NERFSTRONG #51

#8 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:28 AM

Well, while this thread is open, I figured I'd throw in my two sense.

About a year ago, I probably would have sworn by old school, but I find there are viable options in both "old and new." Over all, while I'm not a huge fan of the N-strike line, I have found a lot of use for the NiteFinder and the Magstrike. Some of the "newer" (still available in stores) that appeals to me, however, isn't NERF, but rather BuzzBee/lanard. I like the Blast Bazooka/Big Blast and the Big Salvo. I'm a pretty big fan of NERF's Spiderman Dart Tag Blaster as well.

Overall, there are good blasters in both the old and the new, you just have to find what works for you. Though, if we're ruling out integrations, I doubt I'll ever find anything I like better than my SM1500 (though I've never fired a "Doomsayer" and those do look promising).

#9 Soothsayer

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:54 AM

Aside from the obvious power of most old school guns, the looks were the best! They were goofy as hell, some were animals, some looked like super soakers, they all looked hilariously awesome with their strange colors and shapes.

Newer guns, are going for a more realistic gun look. I think it's actually kinda sick. I know it's marketing, kids today want guns that look like the ones in their video games and favorite action movies, but I still find it weird that hasbro is exposing kids to realistic weaponry so nonchalantly.

I'm probably looking to deep into all this...

Back to the point, my vote goes for oldschool guns

yeah I'm that guy who made that cool thing with the cool paint.

#10 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 11:36 AM

Aside from the obvious power of most old school guns, the looks were the best! They were goofy as hell, some were animals, some looked like super soakers, they all looked hilariously awesome with their strange colors and shapes.

Newer guns, are going for a more realistic gun look. I think it's actually kinda sick. I know it's marketing, kids today want guns that look like the ones in their video games and favorite action movies, but I still find it weird that hasbro is exposing kids to realistic weaponry so nonchalantly.

I'm probably looking to deep into all this...

Back to the point, my vote goes for oldschool guns

No, you're not looking too deep. It's marketing, pure and simple.

The primary target age range for Nerf is probably 8 - 14 years old (and older, of course).

Airsoft, which mimics real-steel firearms to the T, caters to probably 14 and up, and is generally only sold to those 18 and older.

I REALLY think the whole evolution of the "N-Strike" line was to progressively make the dart blaster line-up look similar to, although not exactly like, real-steel weapons, of which most of the Nerf age group cannot obtain (or even parents wouldn't be willing to buy) in Airsoft form.

For example; the N-Strike Unity Power System. A rocket launcher that doesn't look like anything, but has the FEEL of a rocket launcher. A weird, six-shot semi auto with six barrels. And, a pistol that has a SLIDE that works like most of the world's semiauto pistols, and has the feel of a "real" gun.

Then, the Firefly. A bull-pup design, so much and similar in feel to the P90 and other bullpup variants, although doesn't really look like anything in particular.

Then, the Maverick. A REVOLVER. How cool is that? Piece of junk in my opinion, but I think that bunches of Nerfers got their starts by buying Mavericks. Playing Russian roulette, etc. :)

Then the Longshot. The "gun" that really got it going. "Clip" fed (magazine, but they call it a clip), bolt-action, and again, while not exactly mimicking a particular assault rifle, having the look and feel of one. Launches a whole new dimension of wanna-be Rangers, Sn!pers, and other dreamers.

Then, the Recon. Sure, it's quite crappy from the pure performance standpoint, but who can deny how cool it is to have a compact, configurable, add-and-remove multipurpose weapon?

Nothing from the SuperMaxx line, or AirTech line-up, can match what the N-Strike series has done to make Nerf appealing to the masses. And I didn't even mention the Dart Tag lineup, which has some cool stuff too!

But the older school purists will always fall back on the raw power potential of the springers like the Crossbow, Expand-a-Blast, and Lock-n-Load, or the air-powered SuperMaxx 750, 1000, 1500, or 5000, and AT 2k and 3k. Those that played even further back had enjoyed (?) the likes of the MaxForce and AirJet series blasters.

That said, I guess my heart will always be on the SuperMaxx lineup, since that's what I got our start in Nerf on, with my mom buying my son a SM 1500 as a present (would be grandma to get the whole ball rolling) seven years ago. There are those who had blasters even before that, but that's where my sentiments are, old-school.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#11 Oni Kadaki

Oni Kadaki

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 05:27 PM

As a stock nerfer, I feel it comes down to whether you value ROF or range more. The few airguns nerf makes today just can't compete with the supermaxx series, or some of the other old airguns, in terms of power. Most of those guns could hit 40 feet, sometimes even 50 feet, fairly often stock, and the splitfire could shoot almost 70 (check nerfcenter if you don't believe me).

That said, the nstrike series is one of my all time favorite nerf lines. Maybe it's because my lack of modifications doesn't put any stress on the parts, but I have never had an nstrike springer fail on me, not even my longshot or vulcan. The nstrike guns are always good in terms of ergonomics (not quite the splitfire though, that was an extension of my hand) and many of them have ROFs that obsolete just about anything nerf had before.

As for the crossbow and the lock and load, I liked them well enough back then, but they really don't have anything that a stock nerfer can't find in today's guns. Honestly, if I could bring back a single gun from the old school, it would be the splitfire, with the SM 1500 being a close second. Other than those two, the old school has nothing that the new school hasn't obsoleted in my eyes.

#12 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:15 AM

Can we stop making topics with polls please?

At any given point in time there has always been a few blasters available that were truly useful in a war. Right now those are the Nite Finder, the Big Bad Bow, the Big Blast, and maybe the Magstrike in limited circumstances.
The vast majority of blasters released in past or present were very gimmicky. The gimmick is always what leads to higher sales and will be an unavoidable staple for years to come.

Nerf as a brand is more popular than it has ever been and while I personally do not like most of the N-Strike product line, it still includes an unparalleled level of variety. At no previous point in time were SO MANY different Nerf blaster available at the same time. This resurgence in popularity and sales is what we have to thank for the plethora of off brand competition that has produced a good deal of very capable blasters.

When I was much younger there were MAYBE four different blasters on the toy shelves to choose from at any given time. Such is not the case today with the current Nerf product line which includes twenty-two distinct blasters.

So even with all of its poor performers, there's no time like the present.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 25 August 2008 - 11:21 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#13 Aimless

Aimless

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 12:24 AM

Can we stop making topics with polls please?

At any given point in time there has always been a few blasters available that were truly useful in a war. Right now those are the Nite Finder, the Big Bad Bow, the Big Blast, and maybe the Magstrike in limited circumstances.
The vast majority of blasters released in past or present were very gimmicky. The gimmick is always what leads to higher sales and will be an unavoidable staple for years to come.

Nerf as a brand is more popular than it has ever been and while I personally do not like most of the N-Strike product line, it still includes an unparalleled level of variety. At no previous point in time were SO MANY different Nerf blaster available at the same time. This resurgence in popularity and sales is what we have to thank for the plethora of off brand competition that has produced a good deal of very capable blasters.

When I was much younger there were MAYBE four different blasters on the toy shelves to choose from at any given time. Such is not the case today with the current Nerf product line which includes twenty-two distinct blasters.

So even with all of its poor performers, there's no time like the present.

Right on, Slug. Though there is one thing that irks me about the current blaster trend, they seem to get weaker with every new revision, both structurally and performance, with few exceptions. Fortunately, theres also Buzz Bee and Lanard which means there will be a few more decent blasters.
It makes the world go round.

#14 smeagolsaur

smeagolsaur

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 05:42 PM

The new blasters look so much meaner than the old ones, so I'll go w/ new school.

#15 aamiller321

aamiller321

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:01 PM

The new blasters look so much meaner than the old ones, so I'll go w/ new school.

My turn to get back at you (armour thread :lol: ). You like the new ones because they "look meaner". Allright, you come up to me with some of your "mean" looking guns and I'll laugh as darts drop at my feet. Then I probably get you with some decent old school guns. Like the BBB, or splitfire. My vote goes to old school.

Edited by aamiller321, 27 August 2008 - 08:03 PM.

QUOTE(sidamazo @ Nov 20 2008, 03:51 PM) View Post

y the hell r u here?
Challenge me
QUOTE(CoasterDynamix757 @ Jul 5 2009, 11:29 AM) View Post

Ice, is it your time of the month again?

#16 Mr Tubb

Mr Tubb

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:31 PM

Well, Ok I"m sorry that i posted something has been done before, Jesus

I would personally appreciate it if you would not take the Lord's name in vain. You obviously have the right of free speech (or typing, in this case) but I'd appreciate it if you would be reverent of others' religions. On topic: I personally like the newer guns, but part of that is probably because I've never used the old ones (aside from a 1st generation nite finder.)

Edited by Mr. Tubb, 27 August 2008 - 10:34 PM.

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side."
-Han Solo; Star Wars: A New Hope (IV)

#17 smeagolsaur

smeagolsaur

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:40 PM

My turn to get back at you (armour thread :D ). You like the new ones because they "look meaner". Allright, you come up to me with some of your "mean" looking guns and I'll laugh as darts drop at my feet. Then I probably get you with some decent old school guns. Like the BBB, or splitfire. My vote goes to old school.

At least my darts will drop in style, which will consequently cause many naked ladies to run up to me and give me back massages......like in those axe commercials.

#18 aamiller321

aamiller321

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:25 PM

My turn to get back at you (armour thread :D ). You like the new ones because they "look meaner". Allright, you come up to me with some of your "mean" looking guns and I'll laugh as darts drop at my feet. Then I probably get you with some decent old school guns. Like the BBB, or splitfire. My vote goes to old school.

At least my darts will drop in style, which will consequently cause many naked ladies to run up to me and give me back massages......like in those axe commercials.

I've never seen the add on TV that shows naked ladies giving massages to men with hatchets.

y the hell r u here?
Challenge me

#19 Mr Tubb

Mr Tubb

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:15 PM

I've never seen the add on TV that shows naked ladies giving massages to men with hatchets.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not...

(if you are: 'AXE' is a brand of body wash, deodorant, etc)
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side."
-Han Solo; Star Wars: A New Hope (IV)

#20 dart

dart

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:06 PM

New, because when was the last time you saw an old school gun like the vulcan or nerf elimination set? or the mav. Am not putting down old school but personaly i like newer guns than older guns, thats just my style. But as far as old school goes nothing can beat the crossbow or RF20.

I went into the choir room today and told the teacher," I can ony sing base" she said," I can fix that" she gave me a prompt kick in the nuts; i've been singing soprano ever since.

~DART

#21 pustulio

pustulio

• Banned
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:30 PM

I've never owned an Old school gun... I do want a SF or a PC or a Fastblast. So I'd have to say New school... more firepower but less modding ability.
Quote from mysefansdontflystraight
That thing looks like a do-it yourself abortion kit from the 1960s. I bet you hook it up to an air-tank.

#22 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:24 AM

It's a conflict to me. My two best guns are mixed, one is new-school (my Longshot) and the other oldschool (SuperMaxx 1.5k + Marvelous Salvo) Both are very good weapons and I'll use either, any day.

I think there should be another answer in the poll, "Both".
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#23 bartel

bartel

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:11 PM

I think it really depends on what guns you have. A lot of the newer members (including myself) are going to say new just because that's what they have, and what they are used to. Though I'm sure none of them would pass up the chance to get a crossbow, they are not going to whine about it, they're going to get a BBB, or a LS and make it work for them. I loved my old nerf guns, but I don't have them anymore, so I use new ones. There is a lot of potential in (some of) the newer guns, it just needs to be tapped into. And without the new guns, this sport would die out quickly. In short, Old school guns are classic, and no one can deny that they're reliable and, in the right hands, deadly, but it's the New school guns that keep us going.
"I say anyone who knows how to mod a Nerf gun is a badass" -Leaf-o, www.angryaardvark.netfreehost.com

#24 Omega

Omega

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:42 PM

Old school, and this topic is retarded.
QUOTE(Vishamon)
My rule is that those wearing a thong are considered to be invisible to other players.

#25 aamiller321

aamiller321

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:31 PM

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not...

(if you are: 'AXE' is a brand of body wash, deodorant, etc)

Yes that was sarcasm.... note that he didn't capitalize AXE like the brand so you would assume that he was speaking of hatchets and the like. Nevermind it was humor wasted ^_^

y the hell r u here?
Challenge me

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users