Photo

Easy Made Tool To Help You Cut Your Fbr Better

Are you tired of cutting your FBR badly?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Watari

Watari

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 02:50 PM

I'm not sure if this should be in the guide to making stefans, modification thread, or general nerf thread, but since it's a write-up, i'll post it here. Well since I started to make stefans, the always came out bad, sure I made a few good ones, but most of them came out like a piece of crap. So today, when I decided to make some stefans, I was thinking, how can I make them better? After viewing Forsaken Angel's guide to making stefan darts. I decided, well how does he make his stefans stand up? When I cut my FBR it doesn't stand up like that. So here's what I made:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Materials Needed:
-Crayola Marker (same used to make crayola barrels)
-Sharp Metallic Object (utility knife)
-Saw or Pipe Cutter
-1.5'', 2'', 2.5'' or 3'' segments of FBR (always a half inch more then you want your stefan to be)
-Ruler

Step 1:
Take your saw or pipe cutter and cut the crayola marker so that it looks like this:
Posted Image
Make sure that the three pronged thingies in the back of the marker are completely gone!

Step 2:
Cut your desired length of FBR with scissors

Step 3:
Put all your FBR segments into a pillowcase and either throw 'em in the dryer or use a hair-dryer to straighten them. See the link at the beginning paragraph.

Step 4:
Take your straightened FBR segments and put them into the crayola barrel like so:
Posted Image

Step 5:
Cut, then take out the FBR segment, switch ends, and cut again: (I was making 2.5'' stefans)
Posted Image

Now you have straightened, cut FBR that will stand up every time!
Posted Image

Edited by Watari, 22 August 2008 - 04:56 PM.

#2 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 03:07 PM

P.S. Yes, I do use a scalpel to cut my FBR...

That's an XActo knife, not a scalpel. A scalpel looks completely different.

Posted Image
THOSE are scalpels

Edited by hereticorp, 23 August 2008 - 09:50 AM.

#3 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 03:25 PM

This is, useful.. I use a piece of copper to cut mine. It makes a horrible barrel material, so I just use the foot that I had to cut blanks.
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#4 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 04:16 PM

I was just thinking about that today except with cpvc.
Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"
it still seems that your balls drop very rapidly

#5 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 04:35 PM

I've tried that before, but it took too long

#6 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 05:02 PM

You know, I just made one of those little tools... and my FBR doesn't fit!

The irony kills me.

Guess I use a scrap piece of PETG instead. Stupid crayola.

#7 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 06:16 PM

Make a PVC template instead. It won't require the use of a ruler if you make it the right size and it will be more precise than a piece of marker.

Here's a picture from the LGLF Stefan making article:

Posted Image

You slide the section of foam you want to make into darts into the template (in this case the foam goes in the left side), then cut the foam through the slit in the PVC about 3/4" from the left end of it. Then pull out the piece of foam you just separated from the whole piece and slide the rest up until it's flush with the right end of the PVC. Each dart will be perfectly uniform without requiring any measurement and you can make different templates for different lengths of darts.

I use one made of SCH 80 PVC and it works like a charm; but make sure to make that slit in the PVC perfectly straight or the ends of your darts will always be lopsided.
SexD Warves

#8 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 06:23 PM

How do you cut all the way through if the slit in the pvc isn't?

#9 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 06:37 PM

Because the slit goes through the entire inside diameter..
Teehee.

#10 Watari

Watari

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:32 PM

You know, I just made one of those little tools... and my FBR doesn't fit!

The irony kills me.

Guess I use a scrap piece of PETG instead. Stupid crayola.

Well, you've already solver your problem, but this is for the FBR that Home Depot, Lowes or Ace sells, because it fits perfectly, I know there is red FBR and stuff, but if your FBR is pretty thick, I don't think this method will work.

Make a PVC template instead. It won't require the use of a ruler if you make it the right size and it will be more precise than a piece of marker.

Yet the marker is adjustable, so you can also cut different lengths of FBR depending on what you need. If you wanted to do that with the PVC template, you'd need more than 1 template.

#11 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:07 PM

I suggested making more than one template for different lengths in my last post but come to think of it, if you made more than one slit in the PVC you could have one template with two or three different lengths so you'd actually only need one. I don't see the point in making your darts different sizes but you could accomplish it with one PVC template instead of one piece of marker.

How do you cut all the way through if the slit in the pvc isn't?

The cut through the PVC is almost all the way through, so there are only 1 or 2 millimeters of PVC on the bottom still keeping it from breaking in half. As long as you don't purposely try to snap it in two it's strong enough with barely any left in place. The foam is also thinner than the PVC so you don't have to make as deep a cut with the knife to cut through it as you would to get all the way through the PVC.
SexD Warves

#12 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:35 AM

I suggested making more than one template for different lengths in my last post but come to think of it, if you made more than one slit in the PVC you could have one template with two or three different lengths so you'd actually only need one. I don't see the point in making your darts different sizes but you could accomplish it with one PVC template instead of one piece of marker.

Methinks I will do this today, I have a couple hundred bits of FBR that need trimmed before I can tip them.

#13 Watari

Watari

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 10:59 PM

Well I got 1/3 of the parts done, (cutting the F.B.R.),
does anyone have any tips on how stick the weight (i'm using BB's) into the stefan and make a good dome, without using water? Or making a good dome with water without the weight "uncentering" (if that's a word).
EDIT: I finally found the stefan making guide in the General Nerf forum, I get it now, I'll use an ice cube! Crap! My ice cubes are weird shaped and deformed, but they still have a straight edge, hopefully they work!
Yet, does anyone know how to put a weight [I'm using BB's as I cannot find any 1/2'' washers] (and I cannot buy anything online at all) into a stefan, or does it just require practice? Also, Does anyone know how to make a good hole in your stefan with the hot glue gun, because sometimes the stefan hole is either
1.) Lopsided (if that's the right term), the hole is either too much to the left or right (or up/down) and the BB is not centered.
2.) To big or too small, so either the BB doesn't fit or it goes way to far into the stefan.
EDIT #2: CruxZader just found some of the materials used to make CaptainSlug darts, (felt tips and #8 washers, they're $2/30 washers and $1/60 felt tip thingies)

Edited by Watari, 23 August 2008 - 11:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users