The Chimera (titan Rifle)

A Spectre Arms product

25 replies to this topic

#1 Fenixharth

Fenixharth

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 03:45 AM

Upon a few requests I present you with the write-up for the Chimera mod for the Titan.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Required Materials:
Titan Pump and Air Tank
Longshot frontgun handle
2 half inch PVC elbows
2 half inch PVC tee connectors
2 half inch PVC 45 degree couplers
1 half inch PVC end cap
1 half inch PVC coupler
1 one inch PVC coupler
1 inch and a quarter PVC coupler
1 inch and a quarter to half inch PVC coupler
About 5 feet of half inch PVC
15 inches of one inch PVC
About 15 inches of quarter inch vinyl tubing
18 inch length of PETG (I use OMC’s stuff for mine)
3 one-eighth inch bolts
Electric tape
Rubberized Craft foam
Hot glue, about 3-5 sticks
Very thin copper wire

Tools:
PVC Cutters saw, or Table saw
Flathead screwdrivers
Dremel and cutoff wheel
1/8 inch drill bit
One very fine drill bit
Power drill/ Drill press
Metric and imperial ruler
Hot glue gun
Exact-o knifes

The Body:
1. You need to cut the PVC into the following lengths:
2) 7.5 inch
2) 6.5 inch
4) 1 inch
1) 4.25 inch
1) 3 inch
2. Cut the half inch coupler in half and push one half on both the 7.5 inch lengths.
3. Attach the tees next in line and the 6.5 inch length to the other end.
4. Attach the elbows to the end of the 6.5 inch length facing the same direction as the offshoot of the tee connector.
5. Line up the two identical pieces and glue them together at the couplers and bind the 6.5 inch lengths together with a wrap of electrical tape.
Posted Image
6. Attach the two 45degree couplers to both ends of the 4.25 inch length and attach the 3 inch piece to one of the couplers.
7. Put all of the one inch pieces into the open spots on the Tees and elbows.
8. Attach the end cap and other end of the open 45degree coupler to the 1 inch pieces in the elbows.
9. Drill two small holes in the orange area on the top of the LSFG handle big enough to fit the wire.
Posted Image
10. Inject hot glue into the nozzle that leads straight forward from the pump and the one the takes a 90degree turn out of the air tank and cut down to the beginning of the threads and compress to hold glue in.
Posted Image
11. Glue the air tank to the bottom on the 7.5 inch part of the PVC Body with the sealed off nozzle facing upward and the other one on the right side when you look at it from the bottom.
Posted Image
12. Cut off the air restrictors on the front of the air tank and glue the 1 ¼ inch coupler centered over the valve.
Posted Image
13. Glue the handle so that the handle is directly below the body of the gun and the top of the trigger is touching the pull rod at the back of the tank. Make sure the back of the handle is secure to the tank and the 2 one inch PVC parts coming out of the tees and the bottom is secured to the stock. You may have to cut the PVC to fit.
14. Lace the wire through the holes in the top of the trigger and around the pull rod. Twist with pliers to tighten and cover in hot glue.
Posted Image
15. Drill a large enough hole in the back of the tee connector that is opposite the nozzle leading out of the air tank so that the tubing can be run through the hollow of the body to the front of the gun.
16. Glue the pump on the side of the gun in the joint between the air tank and body with the open nozzle facing inward towards the tubing making sure it is very secure.
17. You are done
Posted Image

Now take out your Metric Rulers kids.

The “Long fang” Barrel assembly:
1. Cut a length of half inch PVC to 18.7cm long and cut off half of a 4.7cm from 6.5cm in to 11.2cm and taper all the openings.
2. Push the end that you measured from into the 1.25-.5 inch coupler. Be careful not to snap the pieces.
Posted Image
3. Wrap a piece of craft foam around the base and top of the half inch PVC.
Posted Image
4. Cut a length of one inch PVC to 15inches long and cut out an opening that is 8.1cm long and starts 3.2cm in from the base. Make this opening at least wide enough to fit two darts wide but no wider than half the pipes circumference.
5. Drill a hole directly through the pipe 18.5cm from the base of the tube.
6. Drill a hole directly through the pipe 5.6cm and in a straight line down the tube from the first hole.
7. Using a cutoff wheel make two lines between the holes. (These are supposed to be straight lines that are going to be used as guild lines for the pump so they have to be big enough to allow the bolts to slide through with no friction.)
Posted Image
8. Using the cutoff wheel shave down the inside of the one inch coupler so that it slides easily over the pipe.
9. Cut a 5cm long opening in the PETG 6.5cm from the base of the barrel. Don’t remove more than enough to allow for a round to fit in.
10. Rap electrical tape around the barrel a few times on either side of the opening that will act as seals when it is placed in the barrel. (So make sure they will easily slide in and out of the half inch PVC.) Also place another rap at about 14.5cm that will fit the PVC snugly.
Posted Image
11. Cut a ¾ inch piece of half inch PVC and drill a 1/8th inch hole through it.
12. Glue pieces of craft foam on the small piece of PVC that doesn’t cover the holes.
13. Glue the 15inch long piece of 1 inch PVC pipe onto the base so that the openings overlap.
14. Place the small piece of half inch PVC on the barrel and place the barrel in the assembly.
15. Rotate the barrel until you can line up the holes in the small piece of PVC with the two guide ways. When the PVC is lined up lock it in place with a bolt and rotate the barrel until the breach is facing outwards.
16. Slide the 1 inch coupler over the barrel and line up the holes and then screw in the bolts. Slide the Coupler back and forth to make sure the breach completely closes and opens.
17. When you adjust it to allow the breach to open and close properly unscrew the bolts and remove the PETG barrel and glue the small PVC piece to the barrel.
18. Cut a 5 inch long piece of half inch PVC wrap craft foam around the bottom two inches of the piece and wrap that with enough electric tape to fit snuggly in the one inch PVC.
Posted Image
19. Reassemble the barrel and slide and place the 5 inch piece in the end to protect the PETG barrel.
20. You are done

You need to make sure that every piece of PVC is clean and dry before assembly. Also make sure you store the Barrel assembly in the closed position.

Edited by Fenixharth, 22 August 2008 - 02:00 PM.

#2 Swords

Swords

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:17 AM

That is a beast. But is it awkward to pump?
SuperGeek.

#3 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:20 AM

It's cool but I don't think many wars will allow it.

#4 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:27 AM

It's cool but I don't think many wars will allow it.

It was fine. Shoots as far as a big blast.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#5 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:37 AM

Don't titans shoot further than big blasts though?

EDIT: Oh. He didn't plug the pump.

Edited by Kid Flash, 22 August 2008 - 08:37 AM.

#6 nightfinder

nightfinder

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:55 AM

Add a shell on that thing!!! :D
NerfGrassHopper
R u gay ur sig makes it look so.. just lokin' for anotha gay nerfer...

#7 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:21 AM

In my experience they're about the same and the Blast Bazooka has shot farther than anything else. The Titan puts out more air, but it doesn't seem to launch the dart any further.

#8 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:28 AM

Wow. I've been waiting since Apoc to see this up. I love it like I did then. Did you ever chance out the breech material? I remember someone saying that they didn't trust moving the Petg around too much and that it was cracking at the breech opening.
Teehee.

#9 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:34 AM

This is one hot and sexy mod, I can't believe I didn't even think of using the LS's frontgun handle for this.

I'll finish painting my Titan and then probably rip it apart and do something like this with the pump in a front-facing configuration instead of a rear facing.

I already have the shotgun shell mod on it, so I can shoot some fools with a bunch of ammo types now. =)

#10 serpent sniper

serpent sniper

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 01:42 PM

Nice, I've been wondering about these since they got so much buzz in the Apoc thread.

Looks a little hard to pump. The breach is cool, I think it would be a beast with shotgun shells too.
Animus GmbH My Custom Nerf Props and Paintjobs

#11 Fenixharth

Fenixharth

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 01:51 PM

well The major thing about the "Long fang" barrle is that it is only like 40-50% effecient because of how it's made and the fact it only has a foot of barrle really.

The Pump takes a little to get used too but that is the only place to put the pump on the body of the gun, sadly. If you wanted you could rap the top of the pump handle with foam for comfort.

I've had no issue with the PETG 'true' barrle. The PETG I have in my Chimera, which is the eldest at about 9 months old, has no visible damage aside from the front of the barrle being stained red slightly.

The chimera body is designed to have the large coupler so that it can accept differant barrle assemblies. For instance there are three other barrle assemblies that are either made, in the process of being made or on the horizon. they are as follows:

1. Rocket Barrle Assembly (made)
2. Paragon Barrle Assembly (being made. This is suposed to be a 90% efficent barrle being made just for fun)
3. Grenade Launcher Barrle Assembly (On paper and CAD only)
Posted Image

Edited by Fenixharth, 22 August 2008 - 01:56 PM.

#12 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 06:52 PM

In my experience they're about the same and the Blast Bazooka has shot farther than anything else. The Titan puts out more air, but it doesn't seem to launch the dart any further.

That's probably because you need an insanely long barrel to get the maximum range out of it.

I did some experimenting with the Titan when I got my first one. A Three foot barrel was capable of putting random objects through metal cans. I stuck a piece of FBR in the barrel and then shoved pens and shit in the barrel. The result was a few holes in the wall I had to explain to my mom. I started firing Tootsie rolls out of it (with some FBR behind them), and one such projectile, when fired straight up in the air, never seemed to come back down. I found it two weeks later embedded two inches into the dirt by my driveway. Titan's have some serious power.

Awesome mod, Fenixharth.

Edited by AssassinNF, 22 August 2008 - 06:53 PM.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#13 Thomas

Thomas

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:22 PM

This thing hurts like a bitch. I remember the welts all too well. This might bring my friend back into nerfing, now that we have a writeup.

#14 zach attack

zach attack

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:02 PM

this is my chimera that he is shipping tomorrow morning

#15 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 10:25 PM

Jesus, That's really really kick ass, It looks like something that plumber uses, But it looks awsome, But ranges would be nice
QUOTE(Zaxbys @ Mar 2 2009, 02:08 PM) View Post
I won't be there til about 1-2...

Church... gotta soak up that Jesus!

NERFSTRONG #51

#16 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 10:25 PM

Awesome. Its cool to see exactly how this beast goes together, I was hoping you might post this since Apoc. I got hit on the shoe from like 100' and I could really feel it.

#17 g-force

g-force

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 10:42 PM

Hmmm if I used the ls frontgun trigger like you did I could change the trigger for my sgsl.
QUOTE(Carbon @ Jul 28 2008, 03:25 AM) View Post

My god, you actually built it. To that, all I can say is, "bravo".

Chubbs

#18 Fenixharth

Fenixharth

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 04:17 PM

Well the range is all dependant on ammo used.

With our ammo it normally gets 100-120ft ranges

With other ammo it runs a gambit from 70-110ft ranges

But yea It could get alot better ranges but I have it a bit nerfed because I would like to be able to use it in games but the Paragon barrle that I'm working on should be able to tell us what it's best ranges are.

#19 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 10:29 PM

Nice job. I heard a lot about this in the Apoc thread and I had been wondering what it looked liked and how it works.

< One foot in death...The other in life. >

#20 Daecu

Daecu

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 11:55 AM

That's a fantastic modification :o It'd probably look great with a nice paint job :) Awesome work, as my titan barrel wears out I'd love to give this a shot.

#21 ddog

ddog

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 12:53 PM

Yeah, I met up with Fenix at the Pine Banks and he had 2 of these. It wasn't working right, but it was still awesome. It is somewhat hard to pump but you figure out ways to do it. And right now, it is the sexiest gun alive. Yes, the sexiest. So sexy that it hurts....

Edited by ddog, 25 August 2008 - 10:54 PM.

#22 nerfnut23

nerfnut23

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:36 PM

Nice! I make Stefans that are the size of Streamlines and will give it 30-40 feet more. The link is in my signature.
American society: A legitimate clusterfuck since 1965.

#23 Jabulus

Jabulus

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:51 PM

Sorry for sounding a little noobish but I am at a loss to figure out how to pump that thing. Not owning a Titan, I do not know what internal pieces do what, therefore I cannot see where one might pump this thing. Can someone show me?
WARNING-THIS IS GETTING BRUTALLY OLD!

QUOTE(Echnalaid)

One screw was stripped on my titan, so I Falcon Punched it. Try a Falcon Punch.

QUOTE(chrisnisk)

Not to mention I got the secret achievement Brass Balls for it

#24 The Inventor Guy

The Inventor Guy

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:01 AM

^^^
The white pump on the side of the gun. If you were to shoulder the stock, the pump handle would face your shoulder. :ph34r:

I only just saw this though, this is good stuff! I was about to try something similar, but without the stock (my shell broke and I lost the trigger lol). After seeing this done so well, I'll give it a shot! :)
Props again.

-Tidge.

Also active on NerfHQ as Tidge.

#25 thefagedupwrld

thefagedupwrld

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:23 PM

Nice! that thing is a beast! with a nice paintjob it would be awesome :D
spray painting lord!!! gotta make use of what you got ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users