Photo

Mech 6 Discussion

13 replies to this topic

#1 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:27 AM

If you're not familiar with the Mech 6, it's a green flywheel-powered pistol made by BuzzBee. I bought one off of Chilipepperfender a while back, hoping to get a decent semi-automatic sidearm. I was disappointed. Last week, I supercharged it with a 9v battery, as shown here:

Posted Image

Interestingly, the velocity of the darts greatly increased, but the ranges are about the same. the darts hit 30', then flounder and stop. Any ideas why?
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#2 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:52 AM

Its a flywheel design. Even if the wheel is spinning faster, it can't throw the dart any further, just faster. I don't see any potential in this gun. Just like the Mech Tommy series, it'll go nowhere as a weapon.
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

#3 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:18 AM

Even if the wheel is spinning faster, it can't throw the dart any further, just faster.

Giving the dart more kinetic energy implies that it will fly farther, unless there are other effects acting on the dart.

#4 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:01 AM

Even if the wheel is spinning faster, it can't throw the dart any further, just faster.

Giving the dart more kinetic energy implies that it will fly farther, unless there are other effects acting on the dart.

Agreed - that statement makes no sense according to the laws of physics. That would be like saying "If I throw a baseball harder, it will just go faster, not any further."

Here's my question - are you shooting stock darts, or a modified dart of some kind?

If you're using stock darts - it is probably because the dart doesn't have enough weight at the front, so drag is cutting down on any potential range increase.

If you're using modified darts, are they basic stefans, or something else? It is my understanding that in flywheel guns, you need to have a larger OD at the front of the dart (like the heads on stock darts) in order for the flywheel to catch and throw them properly. Matchstick stefans (stefans with the heads coated in plasti-dip) are often recommended for flywheel guns, or you could just convert the stock darts by cutting off just the suction cup and adding the weight/dome combo to the front of the rubber head.
Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#5 CrazyIvan VI

CrazyIvan VI

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:05 AM

Could someone enlighten me more as to what we mean when we say 'flywheel?'
Does it mean that it's like the old Matchbox Car lauchers, where two discs are spinning and when the dart hits them they launch it out?
I get all giddy when I see VACC browsing a stupid topic. I just know someone is going to get banned.

#6 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:23 AM

Could someone enlighten me more as to what we mean when we say 'flywheel?'
Does it mean that it's like the old Matchbox Car lauchers, where two discs are spinning and when the dart hits them they launch it out?

Yep, that is exacly how a "flywheel" blaster works.
Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#7 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 12:59 PM

The wheels may be spinning faster, but they slow down when the dart hits them, especially if the dart is a tight fit between the wheels. It could be that they slow down enough still to not have any noticeable increase on range. If you're looking for a next step in flywheel guns, get a gear head motor (can only be negligibly slowed down by the load) with a low torque rating, and make it nice and fast (14 volts or so depending on the motor).
Teehee.

#8 UpperHand

UpperHand

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:22 PM

The reason a dart is fishtailing is usually because the weight isn't great enough in the front of the dart. Try adding some weight to the tips of the darts that you are already using.
My SCR-6
My Homemade Sidearm
The least you could do is tell me some advice. geese!

-- Headshot 21

#9 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:34 PM

9v batteries SUCK they do not have the amperage to run any motors... make a pack of AAAs or something, typical stock voltages of generic motors are 4.8, 6, 7.2 and 12..

typical amperage rating of quality 9v batteries are 200mah, A cheapo aaa battery pack will have 800 mah. just adding 1 or 2 cells to you stock setup will give you more output than a 9v battery.

a 4.8 motor will run at 10v without killing it . a 7.2v motor will run at 15 usually for short bursts without damage.

I would not be afraid to double voltage in any toy that did not have a circuit board.

Don
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#10 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:53 PM

Okay, 2 main points. First of all, I use stefans for this and they work fine. In this blaster, the wheels do not pull the dart from the clip. The trigger operates a lever that pushes the dart into the wheels. Also, I've supercharged guns with 9vs before, and there has been a noticeable range increase.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#11 nerfnut23

nerfnut23

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:08 PM

Use a 7.2 volt Rc car battery, and swap the shitty stock motors for a coupla 180-size motors. And add a second flywheel pair in front of the stock ones. Hello 75-foot flywheel gun!
American society: A legitimate clusterfuck since 1965.

#12 Puppylayer

Puppylayer

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:17 PM

Sorry, but I was thinking of something else when I saw the title...

What exactly is a Clip-Tek and how does that work?

On Topic: Even with a complicated motor change, nerfnut23, It may still be complicated to house, have torque issues, and will be louder than all hell.

As I broke my auto tommy 20, I had the crazy thought of making it a more silent, "gatling gun" setup with a crank.

The only issue I see there is it's that it's slightly more cumbersome, and accuracy would be harder to achieve while cranking the shit out of it.
QUOTE(nerfer9 @ Dec 26 2008, 01:34 PM) View Post

Coal? You're santa arent you! You didn't give me that bike I wanted! Prepare to die!

Also active as Slayer_of_OnE at NerfLovers!

#13 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:26 PM

And you can't even be bothered to look yourself? Go to the Modifications Directory, there is at least one mod on it and it'll show internals. Also bookmark this page: http://nerfhq.com/wi...le=Blaster_List
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#14 nerfnut23

nerfnut23

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 12:10 AM

On Topic: Even with a complicated motor change, nerfnut23, It may still be complicated to house, have torque issues, and will be louder than all hell.

Actually, a 180-size motor is identical in size to the motors in this particular gun. If you can't solder for shit, then this is an impossible mod. But the battery can be put on a bracket on the side of the gun. And a good 180-size motor can drag a phonebook across tile., so torque isn't an issue. But the noise is the mod's only downfall. Seriously, someone using one modded like I described would sound like a swarm of bees, making the target run like hell and suffering an Effeminate fail in the process. I have learned from experience... ............
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Don't ask.

Edited by nerfnut23, 29 December 2008 - 11:12 PM.

American society: A legitimate clusterfuck since 1965.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users