Nerf Dart Tag Blaster + Buzz Bee Big Blast Integration Guide - Picture

Big Blast Air + 10 Shot Turret

43 replies to this topic

#1 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:29 AM

First of all, thanks go out to MrBadWrench on NHQ for giving me the idea for this mod in the first place, I liked his mod so much that I went out and did my own version of it, adding a shell integration and changing the integration location slightly. I also added PETG barrels to the turret and painted the whole mess.

I'm really happy with this mod, I had to go through a bunch of iterations to get the triggering to work right, but now that it does it's a pretty sweet gun.

Posted Image
Here's the stock Big Blast and Dart Tag Blaster, the BB is really sort of hideous, and the DTB is pathetically under powered.

So what do you get when you combine the power of a BB with the versatility of a 10-shot turret?

The DTB+BB! Yes, I know, the name sucks. Maybe the Big Turret Blaster or something. I don't know, either way, it's a pretty slick gun.

Posted Image
Here's your stock Dart Tag Blaster, the first step is to open this sadly under-rated gun up.

Posted Image
Here's the internals of the DTB, we're going to be gutting out the air plunger mechanism and leaving only the turret advancement mechanism in place.

You'll want to keep the very tip of the air plunger to attach to the big blast's barrel for a good air seal on the turret.

Posted Image
This is the back of the turret for the DTB, it's a real quick and easy disassembly. Remove the 4 screws attaching the orange part to the black part and it comes right off.

Posted Image
At this point if you're going to follow along with me, just discard the orange part, or hold on to it for future use in some odd gun that you dream up. I'll be attaching PETG directly to the black back-plane of the turret.

If you're not going to do CPVC or PETG, just remove the stock air restrictors and drill out the barrels, then put the turret back together.

Posted Image
Here's your stripped down DTB, make sure you remember where everything goes, the advancing mechanism in this gun is simple, but really really picky.

Posted Image
I also wanted to remove the "Clutch" from my turret, so I unscrewed the single screw holding the two parts of the advancing gear together and glued them together before replacing the screw.

Posted Image
If you're going to be doing CPVC or PETG, turn the turret over and dremel down the edges around the holes, they're not quite large enough to fit PETG inside them, and not quite small enough to fit PETG over them. In other words they're a pain. Just get rid of em.

Posted Image
Now to do this mod, I disassembled the Big Blast and laid it in the DTB shell without the turret in place in order to measure where to cut off the barrel so that I could add on the tip from the DTB. I ended up cutting off about 2.5" of barrel, but measure for yourself so you dont end up cutting too much off.

I also took the dremel to the DTB's shell and cut it so that the BB's chamber would fit.

After measuring, cutting and epoxying the tip from the DTB onto the BB's barrel, I put the stock BB shell back on and measured where to cut so that it would butt up against the DTB's shell. It ended up being a little bit in front of the BB's grip/trigger, so I cut the BB there and fitted the shell in place. This left the tank and some of the firing mechanism of the BB exposed, but I'll address that in a bit.

Posted Image
I added a small ring of FBR to the front of the barrel in order to insure a good seal between the barrel and the turret, the stock setup was woefully lacking in a good seal.

Posted Image
Here's the turret half-completed, I used Zap-A-Gap super glue to put these barrels in place and will fill in the gaps with hot glue to insure a good seal.

Posted Image
This is the turret with all the barrels in place, they look all nice now, sadly sometime overnight while I let this mess dry, they went all cockeyed. I'll fix it later, but as you'll see in the distance tests at the end of this guide, it doesn't really make a difference.

Posted Image
Originally I tried to stick with the stock triggering mechanism for the BB, but I quickly discovered that with over 5 pumps, the BB became incredibly difficult to trigger, making the plastic piece that was originally provided utterly useless.

As a side note, I also had to plug the overpressure valve on the BB's plunger, but that's just a standard "Hot Glue in the End" style job, and I completely forgot to take a picture of it.

Posted Image
Here you have the beginning of what ended up being a truly successful use of materials on hand.

The wire is the trigger pull from a Hornet (I have 2 dead hornets, so I can spare it) that I bent into shape. I added a U shaped bend so that the wire would catch the release pin, and then bent it in half near the trigger so that it would have a nice catch surface.

Posted Image
A view from below, you can see how the U shaped bend hooks over the pin.

Posted Image
Here's the original trigger pull piece for comparison, it's simply not strong enough to pull the pin back under a great deal of pressure.

Posted Image
To attach the top, I went cheap and hot glued the thing to within an inch of its tiny little life. I put a spare piece from the DTB shell under to make sure the glue didn't just drip off.

Posted Image
The trigger pull wasn't quite hard enough to yank the pin back, so I added a piece from the original BB trigger to extend it back a little bit.

The hot glue on the top actually impeded the return of the wire to the original location so I added a spring that was spare from another modification and hot glued it into place to push the wire back forward after the trigger returns to the forward position.

Posted Image
The view of the completed triggering mechanism from the side. I painted a bit before I added the front of the BB shell to the gun.

Posted Image
Here's your completed BB+DTB gun, as you can see, I cut a piece from the front of the original BB shell and used it to cover over the exposed portion of the BB's tank and firing mechanism. I hotglued the two pieces in place, making sure that the glue was only on the DTB shell, this way I can still take the gun apart if needed. The front part of the BB shell just comes up along with the DTB shell.

Posted Image
You can see here how the barrels got cockeyed, but for all that they're a little crooked, they still produce a really shockingly close pattern. I was expecting a couple darts to go off sideways or something but everything landed in a pretty close line to where I was shooting.

Posted Image
A view from the rear, I really sort of hate the BB's giant handle for the plunger but I don't have a good solution as to what to do about it so I left it alone.

Posted Image
Preparing to prime the DTB+BB here along with all the attachments for my modified Titan.

Posted Image
I primed it in gloss black, and after that I couldn't really decide what to do with it, so I went back to my Firefly and Titan painting projects to give myself a little time to think.

Posted Image
Here's the completed gun with 4 coats of black gloss and 3 coats of gloss clear coat.

I decided to leave the gun gloss black mainly because I think it looks really slick like this and because I have no idea what else to do with it at this point. I can always revisit it later.

Posted Image
And here's the gun in its place on my arsenal wall with the FireFly.

Distances when shot flat, 2 sets of 10 shots, 10 pumps per shot, rounded down to the nearest foot:

45, 44, 42, 42, 40, 38, 38, 38, 37, 33
46, 43, 43, 41, 41, 40, 38, 37, 37, 35

Not too bad for a turret gun. Although I don't really know what I could get out of this in an absolute sense, so that

could be complete junk and I wouldn't know it.

Hope you enjoyed the guide, I will be adding the disassembly steps for the Big Blast after I actually take pictures of one, I had the BB disassembled already before I decided to do this mod, so I'll get those pictures up in a couple days once I get around to disassembling my other BB.

Suggestions and constructive criticisms are always welcome, as well as questions.

You can find my Flickr based guides and a bunch of pictures here:

Nerf Pictures and Writeups

#2 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts
  • State:New York

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:52 AM

Leaving the empty, original air chamber between the LBB airtank and your turret creates an assload of dead space. That inefficiency is likely the main cause of your tiny range.

#3 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:52 AM

But my ar removed with scout spring added one gets about that... You would expect more from a big blast. Maybe you're pulling the trigger too slow? Maybe your fbr isn't doing the trick? I always thought that they had great seals. Very nice job though.

#4 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:35 AM

What a beautiful gun. I wonder if this would work with the Speedloader...
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#5 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:56 AM

Speedloader might work if the barrels were straight, I'm sure you could swing it no problem.

I'm probably going to use the other DTB as a variation on this mod, take out all that empty space between the tank and the turret and see what it does to ranges.

Thanks for the suggestion VACC.

I'm also going to try and pump it more and pull the trigger quicker to see what it does, I'll update the range stats when I do.

Edited by hereticorp, 19 August 2008 - 11:57 AM.

#6 AJAQ

AJAQ

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:14 PM

Definitely more you can get out of that setup.

I normally get 40 from my AR+Spring Dart tag anyway, and ROF is much higher.

Keep on it. :blink:

Also: Note-
When I tried PETG'ing a maverick a few months ago, the range decreased significantly.

I speculate that is because the path of least resistance is actually out the sides of the turret, as opposed to pushing out the dart.

Hence the lack luster performance.

Seal issue in all likeliness.

Edited by AJAQ, 19 August 2008 - 12:16 PM.

~AJAQ~

#7 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:18 PM

Leaving the empty, original air chamber between the LBB airtank and your turret creates an assload of dead space. That inefficiency is likely the main cause of your tiny range.

That plus his trigger setup might not be opening the trigger valve completely.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#8 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:36 PM

That plus his trigger setup might not be opening the trigger valve completely.

Would you think that making the trigger hit earlier or later would be a good solution to this?

Also: Note-
When I tried PETG'ing a maverick a few months ago, the range decreased significantly.

I speculate that is because the path of least resistance is actually out the sides of the turret, as opposed to pushing out the dart.

Hence the lack luster performance.

Seal issue in all likeliness.

You know, I noticed that too. Which is part of the reason the Maverick annoys me so much.

What I'm going to try is to yank apart the turret from my other DTB, pull the air restrictors, stick it in the modified one and see what kind of ranges I get out of it.

I would have hoped that putting that ring of FBR on the tip of the barrel would have solved the seal issues, but I guess not. Any suggestions?

#9 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts
  • State:Ohio

Posted 19 August 2008 - 02:08 PM

Would you think that making the trigger hit earlier or later would be a good solution to this?

You know, I noticed that too. Which is part of the reason the Maverick annoys me so much.

What I'm going to try is to yank apart the turret from my other DTB, pull the air restrictors, stick it in the modified one and see what kind of ranges I get out of it.

I would have hoped that putting that ring of FBR on the tip of the barrel would have solved the seal issues, but I guess not. Any suggestions?

You need to pull the trigger earlier. What I think is happening is that the Dart Tag Blaster's trigger pull is half of the Big Blasts valve pull. I suggest that you seal up anyplace that isn't sealed. Barrel to turret, turret to barrel and barrel to valve/tank.

The Maverick is very poor stock. You have to do a lot of minor mods to make sure that any other modifications perform well. Captain Slug's Maverick happens to fix most if not all of those minor problems.

Edited by Lynx, 19 August 2008 - 02:08 PM.

Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#10 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 02:31 PM

You need to pull the trigger earlier. What I think is happening is that the Dart Tag Blaster's trigger pull is half of the Big Blasts valve pull. I suggest that you seal up anyplace that isn't sealed. Barrel to turret, turret to barrel and barrel to valve/tank.

The Maverick is very poor stock. You have to do a lot of minor mods to make sure that any other modifications perform well. Captain Slug's Maverick happens to fix most if not all of those minor problems.

The problem is that I have to make sure the turret rotates into place before the BB chamber releases, so I can't have it release as soon as the trigger moves. I think pulling the trigger faster may be the solution.

I've sealed everything as much as I can, the chamber is stock, the barrel is epoxied so there's no break there, the only break in seal is when the turret contacts the barrel and I have a piece of FBR hollowed out so that the air goes into the hole, I guess I'll see what I can do about making the seal tighter.

I'll have to take a look at his Maverick, I love how mine look but they are complete crap for performance.

#11 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 03:27 PM

Posted Image

the stock chamber to turret seal actually works fairly well for me....
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#12 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 03:28 PM

Did you put anything on the front of the barrel or did you just leave it stock?

#13 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 03:40 PM

Did you put anything on the front of the barrel or did you just leave it stock?

its completely stock just lots o lube

#14 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 03:52 PM

its completely stock just lots o lube

Hm... KY?

Kidding.

What kind of lube? I have Teflon spray stuff, but I don't think that would work quite right for this application.

#15 g-force

g-force

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:40 PM

I just did the very same thing with my marshmallow shooter - the petg barrels. I gets similar ranges but the fact that there is less dead space makes up for the stock barrels.
QUOTE(Carbon @ Jul 28 2008, 03:25 AM) View Post

My god, you actually built it. To that, all I can say is, "bravo".

Chubbs

#16 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:48 PM

I just did the very same thing with my marshmallow shooter - the petg barrels. I gets similar ranges but the fact that there is less dead space makes up for the stock barrels.

You are right...... If both of us had copied certain ideas from each other we would both have wicked shooters... Mine shoots further though.... 70ft plugged 45ft unplugged. I put an unplugged pump in it so I could test barrel lengths.... gonna use the overpressure valve to make sure I have consistant readings

Done

#17 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:25 PM

Ok, I ripped the thing apart and moved the BBBB's mech forward some and completely removed the FBR on the front of the barrel.

I also lubed the shit out of the turret and the barrel, so hopefully this will help out with ranges.

Some new pictures:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I will post ranges as soon as it stops with the 20mph winds.

#18 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts
  • State:New Jersey

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:44 PM

If you still don't like the plunger handle, maybe you could try a pump replacement like the one in my Vulcan Overhaul (part 4.1 on page 4). You would be able to pump the gun with your left hand while keeping the stock to your shoulder. It would be even easier for you since you don't need to keep the OPV. Come to think of it, you could even cut down the BBBB shell and put in a comfy, regular shoulder stock.

Edited by Splitlip, 25 August 2008 - 12:45 PM.

Teehee.

#19 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 03:00 PM

If you still don't like the plunger handle, maybe you could try a pump replacement like the one in my Vulcan Overhaul (part 4.1 on page 4). You would be able to pump the gun with your left hand while keeping the stock to your shoulder. It would be even easier for you since you don't need to keep the OPV. Come to think of it, you could even cut down the BBBB shell and put in a comfy, regular shoulder stock.

I actually have a pump that I failed to use in that Titan modification, I'll have to revisit using it with this mod. I could get way down on the size if I put in a pump instead of using the BBBB pump.

#20 AJZ

AJZ

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:43 PM

Do you have ranges yet? This may be something I'd like to try with either an Airtech 2 or 3 thousand or a BBBB but it really doesn't matter. I always liked this gun but the plunger is just too small to make it shoot worth of anything. With oustanding mods it could get there, but I feel like this is a great idea in the making. I will think over what gun to get next to compensate my LS, NF, and BBB. I definately need and air gun.

#21 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:47 PM

Do you have ranges yet? This may be something I'd like to try with either an Airtech 2 or 3 thousand or a BBBB but it really doesn't matter. I always liked this gun but the plunger is just too small to make it shoot worth of anything. With oustanding mods it could get there, but I feel like this is a great idea in the making. I will think over what gun to get next to compensate my LS, NF, and BBB. I definately need and air gun.

You want an air gun? Get a titan. Mod it down, make the attachments mod, much more flexible in its use.

I'll have ranges on the new item tomorrow, but I'm still having some trouble with the trigger not pulling fast enough due to the massive amount of force needed to open the chamber on an over-pumped BBBB.

We'll see what happens.

#22 AJZ

AJZ

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 09:06 PM

Edited by AJZ, 13 July 2014 - 06:57 PM.

#23 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:55 AM

So I took some new ranges with the adjusted modification, and while I suspect my trigger mechanism is still having issues pulling the pin fast enough because of the pressure required to release an overpumped BBBB chamber, I'm sure now that 4" barrels are too short and I should have used 6" barrels because I had darts spinning out all over the place on this test run.

Ranges, 10 Pumps, Flat shots, 2 sets of 10 shots, single BB 2" stefans:

55, 51, 50, 50, 50, 48, 47, 46, 46, 46, 44, 43, 43, 42, 42, 38, 37, 34, 34

Average over 20: 42.3'

Kinda sucks for the BBBB potential, but I'll keep working on it after I get my Titan II project done.

Edited by hereticorp, 27 August 2008 - 11:25 AM.

#24 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts
  • State:California
  • Mad Artisan Labs on Youtube

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:32 AM

So I took some new ranges with the adjusted modification, and while I suspect my trigger mechanism is still having issues pulling the pin fast enough because of the pressure required to release an overpumped BBBB chamber, I'm sure now that 4" barrels are too short and I should have used 6" barrels because I had darts spinning out all over the place on this test run.

Ranges, Flat shots, 2 sets of 10 shots, single BB 2" stefans:

55, 51, 50, 50, 50, 48, 47, 46, 46, 46, 44, 43, 43, 42, 42, 38, 37, 34, 34

Average over 20: 42.3'

Kinda sucks for the BBBB potential, but I'll keep working on it after I get my Titan II project done.

It may simply be that your setfans are too light for your set-up. heavier darts tend to work better in higher power guns, I'd suggest trying 1/4 steel slingshot bbs as your weight instead of standard bbs.

Don't call it a comeback, I never left.

#25 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:40 AM

[It may simply be that your setfans are too light for your set-up. heavier darts tend to work better in higher power guns, I'd suggest trying 1/4 steel slingshot bbs as your weight instead of standard bbs.

I made up some double-BB loaded stefans for the Titan single-shot attachment, I'll give those a shot in this gun and see what happens.

I'll also check out the 1/4 steel BBs and see how they play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users