They Go far, are accurate, and come with a writeup

19 replies to this topic

#1 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:35 AM

Hello everyone.
This is my first writeup-- a homemade “rifle rocket” for the Titan (or any other comparable gun). The reason I call it this is because it is relatively small and doesn’t have fins. I put this in Modifications because it basically is a mod for a Titan but they're homemade. I thought I should put it here but put it in Homemades if you want. This rocket is mostly like a Stefan on steroids—it’s pipe insulator, and weights and a dome on top. The materials used are found at any Home Depot and around the house. This rocket was designed to suit my need for the Titan: fits over a 1” PVC barrel, relatively small, goes far, is accurate, and mass producible with common materials. So here it goes.

Materials:
Posted Image

Foam insulator that fits around 1” PVC
Bb’s
Masking tape
E-tape
Cotton balls
Hot glue gun and glue
Utility knife or scissors
6” 1” PVC barrel

This is what you will be making:
Posted Image

Step one
Make sure there’s at least 6” of 1” PVC sticking out the end of your Titan or other gun with comparable firepower (bbb, bb, etc.) Put it in however you can. Now onto the rockets.

Step two
Cut your foam insulator around 5 ¾” long. Make sure it’s as even as you can get it.
Posted Image

Step three
Take 9 bb’s and wrap them up in masking tape to make the weight for the rocket.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Step four
Put two cotton balls wrapped in masking tape in one side of the foam insulator, and hot glue them in so there is a seal all around it. Try not to melt the foam too much.

Step five
Put the weight on top, and try to center it as best you can. Glue it in there.
Posted Image

Step six
Put one cotton ball on the top, and start wrapping the entire front with e-tape until you get it even and without ridges. It takes some practice.
Posted Image

Posted Image

With the Titan
Posted Image

With the Titan, these things almost double the ranges of the stock rocket. I’m guessing they go about 60ish ft, maybe lower. They are very accurate; I hit the back of my deck chair from 35ft away. You may ask why they don’t have fins, that’s because I found they work better without fins.

So I hope you liked the writeup and consider doing it. And if you want to make many of theses, it’s easier to do it in an assembly-line like fashion.

Posted Image

Any questions, comments, or parts you were unclear about?

Edited by Lt. Stefan, 24 April 2009 - 08:01 PM.

#2 1000 Zombies

1000 Zombies

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:48 AM

So they slide over the barrel like the normal rockets? Do you have a recommended size for the thickness of the foam?
I like it. Seems like a nicer, safer substitute for a single Titan. Nice work. :ph34r:
WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS BRUTALLY OVERUSED!

#3 123caviler

123caviler

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:48 AM

Nice job, I think that those are awesome. Good first right up too, it was very easy to understand. Do they hurt when you get hit with them?

Edited by 123caviler, 18 August 2008 - 09:49 AM.

QUOTE(One Man Clan @ Mar 15 2009, 03:49 PM) View Post

O YEAH!
Mr.Kool_Aid,
Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended. blah blah blah

OMC is fucking god.

#4 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:50 AM

1000- Yea they are just like small Regular rockets. I believe the thickness is about 1/2" but I just took a piece of PVC to Home Depot and got what fit.

123- Thanks. Well sure they hurt if you get shot from 10-20ft away at certain angles but they are more powerful. They don't sting thanks to the cotton but they would hurt from close range. They're kind of like getting hit with the regular rocket with tape over the holes.

Edited by Lt. Stefan, 18 August 2008 - 09:53 AM.

#5 TheNerfLoki

TheNerfLoki

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:52 AM

Nice job. How much does it weigh?
Am I the only one who uses the sig function for a sig?
TNL,

#6 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:08 AM

It weighs under 1/2 lb I don't really know any more specific than that. It just weighs 9 bb's plus the weight of 3 more.

#7 g-force

g-force

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:42 AM

Nice job. Now I can use my mongo titan as a rocket launcher.
QUOTE(Carbon @ Jul 28 2008, 03:25 AM) View Post

My god, you actually built it. To that, all I can say is, "bravo".

Chubbs

#8 Shadowblade

Shadowblade

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:58 AM

I can see these being used for scenario-type matches. You know, like nerf tanks or forts, and these would serve as "anti-material" rounds. Good work.

How hard do you think these things hit? Can it go through cardboard? Just wondering, because I want to know if we can allow these at wars.

Edit: these look kinda like those grenades for the M203...
Edit 2: ignore those questions, i didn't see your post about it

Edited by Shadowblade, 18 August 2008 - 12:09 PM.

Proverbs says, "The wise man doth not shoot the Viking in the ding ding for he shall pummel thee."

But you can totally shoot Vacc there, he loves it!

~Talio

#9 Llama Boy

Llama Boy

• Banned
  • 208 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:59 AM

Isn't this Riflemans writeup on the HQ? Or are you Rifleman?
Truce.

#10 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:18 PM

Nice job.
You've done to Titan Missles what stefans did to regular darts. An alternative ammunition.
"I don't always drink beer. But when I do,
I beat my wife."

#11 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:50 PM

Shadow- If you were still wondering, they can't go through cardboard, they don't have enough pressure because it is dispersed over the surface area of the tip which is pretty high. Also the cotton helps that.

Llama- Read my sig.

I think these would be allowed in wars, and they'd be great for scenario like Shadow said, pottentially something like if a rocket lands in the base 3 times, the team that shot it wins or something like that. That's how I play.

Just a tip: when making them don't stretch the tip too tight, it warps the other tape.

#12 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:51 PM

Has'nt this same wright-up been posted already here? Maybe it was just at NHQ.. But this is cool. It looks very easy to make, and clean. Do you get any variance in ranges with two different rockets? I mean, the masking tape and BB's thing seems a little iffy. It just does'nt seem like you would get the same thing over and over again. But, I am probably wrong. Good write-up. You know, since you have a 1 inch PVC barrel, I would suggest making some of Angel's Mongo 1 inch Stefans! He made them for his mongo titan. It's in the mod directory, you should check it out. Then you have two types of ammo!

And Llama boy, unless Rifleman has two accounts on NerfHaven here, then no, this is'nt him. Rifleman just posted a thread about selling his nitefinder which is crappy.
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#13 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:16 PM

Just to clear things up: I am Rifleman on NHQ. I am Lt. Stefan on NH. Two different names, same person, check my sig. I also posted this writeup on NHQ.

All the rockets seem pretty consistent in accuracy and range. Think about it, it's the same variation as stefans, the weight could be off center and the dome might not be the same, but they perform the same.

Well thanks for the tip, I have seen it but I don't really want to make those. I already have enough types of ammo and attachments, but thanks. I have these rockets, shotgun attachment, loser barrel and I can still shoot the stock rocket via 1" coupler. I might soon get some insulation for 1/2" PVC and make rockets that fit over that. We'll see I guess. And plus my friends don't like getting hit with micros out of this gun. The mongos are 10 times more painful than micros, too. They wouldn't like that.

Edited by Lt. Stefan, 18 August 2008 - 01:17 PM.

#14 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:36 PM

So,.. You have two accounts? And your other one is twelve years old? I don't understand this. If you are Rifleman on NHQ, then is this just a different guy? http://nerfhaven.com...?showuser=16273

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#15 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:57 PM

Rifleman on NH is a different guy. I am only Rifleman on NHQ. I only have one account on each site. I have no idea who that guy is.

#16 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:11 PM

Rifleman on NH is a different guy. I am only Rifleman on NHQ. I only have one account on each site. I have no idea who that guy is.

Okay, that's what I thought. I don't think anyone would be dumb enough to pretty much say that they have two accounts on one website. But anyway, that guy is twelve... I guess it would be a common username.

#17 Llama Boy

Llama Boy

• Banned
  • 208 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:13 PM

Oh ok I get it now. I was wondering because I knew I saw this on HQ.
Truce.

#18 g-force

g-force

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 03:29 PM

I just realized this but these are the same rockets I use in my compact cannon along with model magic missiles.
QUOTE(Carbon @ Jul 28 2008, 03:25 AM) View Post

My god, you actually built it. To that, all I can say is, "bravo".

Chubbs

#19 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:47 PM

You made them the same way? Or you used my design?

#20 HOTH

HOTH

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 557 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 01:25 AM

sweet, can't wait to make some. Got some bone stock Titans laying around somewhere....
My YouTube

Solved the Rubik's Cube in 46 seconds

"Nobody understands quantum mechanics" - Richard Feynman

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users