Photo

Recon Vs Longshot

17 replies to this topic

#1 Night Shadow

Night Shadow

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:56 PM

After watching countless reviews on youtube comparing the two guns, I still can't seem to come up with any decent conclusion. I'm having trouble deciding which one to get, and probably not having them is what makes this so hard.

So after a while my conclusions for each gun were:

The Recon is far more versatile than the Longshot. It could do the Longshot's job decently if that's what you wanted. Also, if you want a small weapon you could strip it all the way down to the size of a Nitefinder if you wanted to. It's also a full $10 cheaper than the Longshot. But while it can do almost anything, it doesn't excel in any field. Well, ok. If you strip it down to its pistol and put the laser on it, it's still better than the Nitefinder.

The Longshot isn't as versatile as the Recon, as that's what the Recon was meant for, but as a loser rifle it does its job really well. It's slightly convertible, but I shouldn't be expecting too much since it wasn't made to be convertible.

So now I'm kind of in a deadlock here. I don't know which one I should get. I only have enough money to get one right now.

Don't flame me if your opinion's different from mine.

#2 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 03:09 PM

Do you plan on modifying whichever gun you purchase?

#3 Killzor

Killzor

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 03:12 PM

Having owned both I would say that you should get a longshot. The recon's only plus is that it can be a pistol and that for certain people the ROF is higher. IMO the longshot is by far the superior weapon.
CDO, it's OCD but put in alphabetical order, like everything should be

#4 bartel

bartel

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 03:14 PM

I believe there was a thread like this a while back. Here's what I remember from that topic:
Indoors, Recons are the way to go. They get the ranges you need with a much smaller size.
Outdoors, Recon does not get enough range for much anything. It can work as a sidearm, but for a primary, you'll need a LS. They get the same ROF, with much better ranges, and outdoors, the size difference will make little difference.

I think that's most of what was said, but feel free to add any points I missed.
"I say anyone who knows how to mod a Nerf gun is a badass" -Leaf-o, www.angryaardvark.netfreehost.com

#5 Night Shadow

Night Shadow

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 03:49 PM

Hmm. Well, I don't plan to mod either gun. The only mod I ever did was the air restrictor mod on my Maverick, and after that I decided I'm sticking to stock guns.

So, the Longshot packs more of a punch, but the Recon is better for close combat. It's like that one reviewer on youtube said (forgot his name) The Longshot serves as a loser rifle, while the Recon is more of an assault rifle. Since the Longshot is a more powerful weapon, after all, it is a heavier gun, that's what I'll get. Thanks guys.

Edit: It changed loser to loser...
Edit: I get it. And I fully agree. Those cowards who pick off people from a mile away are losers.

Edited by Night Shadow, 14 August 2008 - 03:51 PM.

#6 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:22 PM

If you don't plan on modding them, get a Recon. Stock recons, in my experience, perform better than stock Longshots. Longshots are only good when modified, honestly. I've never had a stock longshot get higher than 25' range, and I've had 3.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#7 Jabulus

Jabulus

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:31 PM

I disagree. Longshots are better stock than recons, and recons shave stock darts as well, as what happened with my brother's gun. However, don't let one bad experience with modding the maverick turn you off. That one's particularly hard to do ar removal because you get rid of the seal. In either of the guns you want, all you need is a drill or a dremel, and you won't have to worry about seals or anything.

Edit: And besides, adding a spring increases power dramatically and hardly requires any work.

Edited by Jabulus, 14 August 2008 - 04:34 PM.

WARNING-THIS IS GETTING BRUTALLY OLD!

QUOTE(Echnalaid)

One screw was stripped on my titan, so I Falcon Punched it. Try a Falcon Punch.

QUOTE(chrisnisk)

Not to mention I got the secret achievement Brass Balls for it

#8 Night Shadow

Night Shadow

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:05 PM

Well, when I did the AR mod on my maverick I actually succeeded, but the only reason I did it was because 1) I wanted a slightly stronger maverick and 2) I wanted to try modding. I acheived both.

On the other hand, the Maverick was probably one of the easiest guns to mod (second to my Nitefinder, which I don't plan to mod) I read in other places that Longshots and Recons are very hard to mod because of the complex cocking mechanism so I figured "if it took me that much work to mod a Maverick, how much would it be to a Longshot or Recon?"

In my case since I won't be modding and AssassinNF says that a stock Recon is better than a stock Longshot, I'll consider it.

#9 themuffinman

themuffinman

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:21 PM

:P I would say longshot.
I'm new!

#10 Jabulus

Jabulus

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:47 PM

Well, when I did the AR mod on my maverick I actually succeeded, but the only reason I did it was because 1) I wanted a slightly stronger maverick and 2) I wanted to try modding. I acheived both.

On the other hand, the Maverick was probably one of the easiest guns to mod (second to my Nitefinder, which I don't plan to mod) I read in other places that Longshots and Recons are very hard to mod because of the complex cocking mechanism so I figured "if it took me that much work to mod a Maverick, how much would it be to a Longshot or Recon?"

In my case since I won't be modding and AssassinNF says that a stock Recon is better than a stock Longshot, I'll consider it.

Don't base modding only on the maverick. How can you say it was easy compared to other guns when you have not done it many times? If you did successfully mod your maverick, well, good for you, but it is nothing like modding longshots or recons. You should try it out before you make that decision. If you look at other peoples posts on these boards, you will see how much anger they have caused. And, as I mentioned earlier, they shave the tails of stock darts so that after a few months of play, the darts spiral out of control and perform horribly.
WARNING-THIS IS GETTING BRUTALLY OLD!

QUOTE(Echnalaid)

One screw was stripped on my titan, so I Falcon Punched it. Try a Falcon Punch.

QUOTE(chrisnisk)

Not to mention I got the secret achievement Brass Balls for it

#11 Nova

Nova

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:57 PM

I would say do the mods. Modding is ridiculously fun with that sense of satisfaction at the end when your gun performs above everybody elses stock guns.

The recon is easy to mod due to the lack of parts and intricacy. Try my mod:

Nova's recon mod.

It's a little bit more advanced for a first time modder, so i would start out with a basic AR removal.

The longshot is nearly just as good with the basic mods, AR removal (super easy) Spring additon (super easier)
This results in pretty good ranges.

We want you to just experience the true joy of modding. Go ahead and try it, no risk no benefit.

Nova
I need a life..

#12 yoruai

yoruai

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:42 AM

If you're not modding I'd get the Recon as it is much cheaper and there is little range difference between them unmodded.

If you wanna go for the glory and operate on those bad boys theres a lot out there for the Long Shot. The Recon's got a bad rap as being somewhat unmodable and it is true that it's air chamber is rather weak. I didn't think either was that difficult to work on so don't get scared off by all the long timers on here.

I know, I know, I don't have any mods up so what gives me the room to talk right? Trust me just remember the rule of all repair jobs and remember where stuff was before you start moving it and when in doubt take pictures. Actually theres a wealth of pictures on here you can reference if you get lost.

As for my modding I'm trying to take a small step in giveing the Recon a little more street cred with a leaver action cocking handle right near the trigger hand. Should greatly increase ROF and get rid of the aiming problem of taking your steadying hand off the gun and putting it directly in your line of sight when you cock the stock top slide. Real bad place to put that in my opinion.

#13 mintee

mintee

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:14 PM

I would get a Longshot if I were you. And mod it. It's really not that hard if you take your time and do it carefully. In fact, if you keep to the basics like AR removals, then you're not going to ruin your blaster. Only dumbasses and engineers will ruin a blaster. I mean we've got diagrams and labeled internals and stuff, and the really complicated mods you don't have to do if you don't feel up to it.

And a well-modded Nite Finder or Disc Shot will outrange a Recon any day of the week.

#14 AJZ

AJZ

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:31 PM

I think he knows the clear choice. For some reason Snip3r is changed to loser which makes no sense since I have seen it happen many times.

#15 matrixman09

matrixman09

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:46 AM

I would definitley get a longshot. :D The Recon is cheaper, but you get what you pay for. I have both and the longshot is a much sturdier gun all around. The recon seems really flimsy to me.

#16 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:29 AM

The Longshot is definitly a far better gun as range goes, and the Recon absolutely gets horrible ranges compared to it. Sure the Recon can turn into different shapes but it's performance isn't versatile.

Edited by Lt. Stefan, 20 August 2008 - 01:31 AM.

#17 erfig

erfig

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 06:47 AM

The Longshot is definitly a far better gun as range goes, and the Recon absolutely gets horrible ranges compared to it. Sure the Recon can turn into different shapes but it's performance isn't versatile.

the longshot sucks stock, but you also get a smaller weapon which makes probably up about $5 of the $10 extra i'd get the recon
For those who say nerf is for kids, just take a look at this.

#18 Oni Kadaki

Oni Kadaki

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 04:53 PM

the longshot sucks stock, but you also get a smaller weapon which makes probably up about $5 of the $10 extra i'd get the recon

I disagree, the longshot is one of my favorite stock guns, second only to the vulcan. For stock wars, the longshot is an excellent choice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users