Photo

Dodging Darts. The Right Way.

20 replies to this topic

#1 Puppylayer

Puppylayer

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:29 PM

Have you ever thought that no matter how hard you try, you just cant seem to escape any dart that flies toward you? For those of you who think they make better targets than nerfers, I have my first post on how to be ninja.

Here are three things you should remember when confronted with an opponent with their finger on the trigger...

1. Pay attention to what hand they are holding their weapon in. If he is holding it in his right hand, the blaster will be slightly harder to maneuver across their chest. So, in simpler terms, if your opponent is in your 12 o' clock position, leap to your right. (see Fig. 1)

Fig. 1 ........opponent........
......................lO
blaster hand -->l

not this way <-- O --> Jump this way

2. Now, depending on wether or not (or how much) the opponent's blaster is modded, the velocity of a round fired can greatly vary. In my arsenal, the average velocity is about 40 feet per second. Decent speed. so, you generally shouldn't have to be looking at the dart. What you should be looking at is your opponent's trigger finger. as soon as you see the finger beginning to squeeze (or pull, when not firing correctly), jump in the appropriate direction. (see Fig. 1)

3. Finally, here are a few sub-tips to further increase your evasiveness...
  • as soon as you see your opponent spot you, begin backing up, to increase the space between the 2 of you. If the opponent charges, RUN.
  • If you spot you opponent (but he doesn't see you), judge where he will go next and hide along his path. This will make a great opportunity for an ambush, and will put you in the offensive position.
  • To avoid having to dodge any darts at all (which is highly improbable...), be sure to have a high rage/velocity weapon in your arsenal to neutralize distant threats. Be sure to have the appropriate sidearm in close combat situations.
That's all. Please provide constructive criticism to help me with my future posts.

Edit: Sorry for the awkward image. had trouble with the imaging feature.

Puppy-§layer: KuhPWN'd

QUOTE(nerfer9 @ Dec 26 2008, 01:34 PM) View Post

Coal? You're santa arent you! You didn't give me that bike I wanted! Prepare to die!

Also active as Slayer_of_OnE at NerfLovers!

#2 chefdave

chefdave

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:37 PM

Interesting theory, but what if the person is left handed? Generaly, it's easier to react solely on instincts.

Anyways, Welcome to NerfHaven!!!

Edited by chefdave, 13 August 2008 - 02:38 PM.

QUOTE(VACC @ Jul 21 2009, 08:13 PM) View Post
QUOTE(crispy) View Post

Talio likes to eat his own shit.
It's a distinct possibility. But seriously, that's all you could come up with? You are a terrible Troll.

#3 marriedmynitefinder

marriedmynitefinder

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:38 PM

Decent first post. Not many people have their first post as a topic, so this might prove that you have potential.

Good luck and long life here.

Edited by marriedmynitefinder, 13 August 2008 - 02:38 PM.

I prefer apple bottoms. Yeah, I said it.
-direct threat

#4 Puppylayer

Puppylayer

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:40 PM

Interesting theory, but what if the person is left handed? Generaly, it's easier to react solely on instincts.

Anyways, Welcome to NerfHaven!!!

It is vice-versa. If they are left handing their blaster (like I do) then you jump to your left.
QUOTE(nerfer9 @ Dec 26 2008, 01:34 PM) View Post

Coal? You're santa arent you! You didn't give me that bike I wanted! Prepare to die!

Also active as Slayer_of_OnE at NerfLovers!

#5 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:44 PM

I like you. I hope you stick around.
I do think that you mixed it up though. It seems someone already mentioned that. You explained it right, but the diagram is backwards. That's all.

I'm not sure I agree with the premise that it would be hard to turn towards your chest. I find the opposite to be true.
Teehee.

#6 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:49 PM

A good nerfer is going to center his aim on your chest. Whether he fires right or left-handed is not going to make much of a difference. Creating space, on the other hand, is a very good suggestion. However, the methodology here is a bit problematic. What you want to do is guage the shortest distance over which you are comfortable avoiding fire, and attempt to match that. If someone is using a particularly powerful blaster, that distance may change, but you should be able to determine that fairly quickly. Using the shortest distance over which you can dodge is advantageous because it will give you the best chance to return fire or, if the opponent has to reload, close the distance for a sure kill.

This brings us to another point. The biggest mistake people make when dodging is simply trying to get out of the way. If you have an entirely defensive mind set you are doomed to repeat the procedure until the opponent either hits you or finds some allies. Instead, when dodging, it is more beneficial to move in a way that will allow you to take the offensive quickly after avoiding fire. The most effective way to do this is to move as little as possible while dodging. Minimalistic dodges allow you to remain aimed at your enemy, and in a balanced position from which to move quickly forward. If you are simply dodging away from the shooter's trigger side you are going to have to make a much larger movement in order to assure that you will not be hit. On the other hand, if you watch the dart you can adjust for each individual shot and move just enough to avoid being hit. It takes more practice, but it is worth it.

#7 TheNerfLoki

TheNerfLoki

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:52 PM

Good First post. Here is are two tips. Shoot him quickly or distract him until you can shoot or get away.
Am I the only one who uses the sig function for a sig?
TNL,

#8 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:54 PM

Realistically you're not going to consciously note the movement of an opponent's trigger finger, let alone an almost imperceptible squeeze. The instinct to dodge comes from a.)eye contat and b.)a well developed pants-shitting fear-inducing twitch-impulse reaction instinct to the sound of a nerf gun firing.

Another reason why springers are superior to pump guns: The spring makes the noise after the dart has already left the barrel when the plunger slams into the end of it's stroke. The pump gun pops either when the valve opens or at the instant the dart leaves the barrel.

Edit:

if you watch the dart

I just can't see the damn dart unless it's a stock dart or a red Stefan.

Edited by Langley, 13 August 2008 - 02:58 PM.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#9 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 03:03 PM

Edit:

if you watch the dart

I just can't see the damn dart unless it's a stock dart or a red Stefan.

Well, I don't watch it all the way into me. If you do that you will generally just watch yourself get shot. I just try to pick up the dart, for an isntant, when it leaves the barrel. This generally gives me a good idea of where it's going to end up. Everybody is going to have a different method of doing this, but the idea it to get a quick impression of where the dart is headed so that a more efficient evasion can be made. It takes practice.

#10 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 03:15 PM

I'm not much of a "dodger" when it comes to one on one battels. My general rule is to have at least two shots ready or don't engage an enemy. Reason being that there is no better distraction than a dart flying at somebody. So I follow my old basketball coach's advice and "follow my shot." I fire once, immediately charge while my opponent is dodging and therefore most likely no aiming at me, and then if I missed I fire again. This isn't a tactic I see utilized often. Most people fire and freeze to see if their shot hit its mark. This, I have found, is also the best time to shoot somebody. If you're trying to take a longer range shot, wait for your target to aim at somebody else and then fire. I guess I'm just not much of a defensive player. I carry lot's of ammo and lot's of barrels ready to fire so that after I fire there's nobody left to defend myself against.

#11 UpperHand

UpperHand

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 04:15 PM

I'm not much of a "dodger" when it comes to one on one battels. My general rule is to have at least two shots ready or don't engage an enemy. Reason being that there is no better distraction than a dart flying at somebody. So I follow my old basketball coach's advice and "follow my shot." I fire once, immediately charge while my opponent is dodging and therefore most likely no aiming at me, and then if I missed I fire again. This isn't a tactic I see utilized often. Most people fire and freeze to see if their shot hit its mark. This, I have found, is also the best time to shoot somebody. If you're trying to take a longer range shot, wait for your target to aim at somebody else and then fire. I guess I'm just not much of a defensive player. I carry lot's of ammo and lot's of barrels ready to fire so that after I fire there's nobody left to defend myself against.

That, is a very good point, and also a very simple way to up your ROF. I will try to be more aware of this next time in a battle.
My SCR-6
My Homemade Sidearm
The least you could do is tell me some advice. geese!

-- Headshot 21

#12 Renegademilitia15

Renegademilitia15

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 04:45 PM

nice theory, better than my old one. One war I decided to go chicken little dodgeball style. I.E. I saw a guy aiming at me with a crossbow from like 20 ft,. away and started to dance fervently by jumping up and down moving my body as convulsively as possible. And then I got shot. :(
What a waste of dancing skills :)
Singled RFS
FA_24's response to Ice's back pain thread:

I used to have that problem until I got circumcised. 15 pounds later I was able to stand up straight.

#13 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 05:09 PM

nice theory, better than my old one. One war I decided to go chicken little dodgeball style. I.E. I saw a guy aiming at me with a crossbow from like 20 ft,. away and started to dance fervently by jumping up and down moving my body as convulsively as possible. And then I got shot. :(
What a waste of dancing skills :(

That wasn't a waste of dancing skills! I was very entertained. :)

On topic, I agree that it's necessary to guage how much power the shot will have. Usually, a game of chicken ensues where no one is willing to fire the first shot if opponents are spaced just far enough apart.

If I am reloading or outranged, I slowly back away and try to reach small cover.
"Until we meet in the place where there is no darkness"
-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

Think that piece is beyond repair? Think again!

#14 doubleshot

doubleshot

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 05:21 PM

2. Now, depending on wether or not (or how much) the opponent's blaster is modded, the velocity of a round fired can greatly vary. In my arsenal, the average velocity is about 40 feet per second. Decent speed. so, you generally shouldn't have to be looking at the dart. What you should be looking at is your opponent's trigger finger. as soon as you see the finger beginning to squeeze (or pull, when not firing correctly), jump in the appropriate direction. (see Fig. 1)

But what if people (like myself) do fake trigger pulls?
92% of people make up statistics. If you're one of the 8% who don't, put this in your signature

#15 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 09:07 PM

You do what I said previously...shoot them. If somebody's going to waste their time with faux firing, they're going to end up shot real quick. If you ever face me in a NERF war, please, do fake trigger pulls so I have more time to line up my shot.

In a NERF war, keep moving, take aim and fire. Follow your shot and then pick another target or regroup and reload.

#16 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 09:47 PM

I suck at dodging cause I'm huge, but one thing you can do is that assuming your chest is the target is to turn your body to the side giving a more narrow target. When the guy shoots, he's got alot of room there to hit you and it's more likely that the dart will make contact. If you turn to the side, you're lowering your chances of getting hit. Where your strategy may come in is to be ready to turn in the opposite direction of the hand the guy is shooting at you with and moving back away from the dart. Keep in mind though that other then the crossbow, alot of these guys don't have stocks and then you want to hold the gun right up to your nose. It could possibly make the whole point moot.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#17 Oni Kadaki

Oni Kadaki

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 10:31 PM

I suck at dodging cause I'm huge, but one thing you can do is that assuming your chest is the target is to turn your body to the side giving a more narrow target. When the guy shoots, he's got alot of room there to hit you and it's more likely that the dart will make contact. If you turn to the side, you're lowering your chances of getting hit. Where your strategy may come in is to be ready to turn in the opposite direction of the hand the guy is shooting at you with and moving back away from the dart. Keep in mind though that other then the crossbow, alot of these guys don't have stocks and then you want to hold the gun right up to your nose. It could possibly make the whole point moot.

Talio.

My thoughts exactly. Your strategy is very similar in principle to some basic martial arts fighting stances, both attempting to minimize your surface area and force your opponent to attack (either with foam or fist) an area you are ready to defend (or, in the case of nerf, get out of the way). I actually never made the connection until a friend of mine who's majorly into the martial arts asked me to help him dodge better, and I used that analogy.

Oh, and imaseoulman, i'd imagine fake shots are rather useless in wars, but against less experienced targets in assassin, they can be quite helpful. One time I discretely popped my mav's cylinder out and fired six shots to demonstrate that I was "empty," and made sure to prime the gun afterwards. When my target came within range to get me, I popped the cylinder back in and eliminated him before he knew what happened.

#18 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:14 AM

The strategy of minimizing your surface area is efective if you want to be completely defensive, but it will get you out of position for a run down if you want to take the offensive after the dodge. 3-4 seconds is all it takes most people to prime their weapon, and any delay in your counter attack could give them the time they need to ready another shot.

I'm not saying these are not good suggestions. If someone is having trouble dodging otherwise, or wants some basic tips, they will help him avoid fire. However, years of experiece have taught me that learning to do things the hard way often pays off in the end.

Also, that's what she said.

#19 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:30 AM

There's not much to explain really, it just takes practice. Just be aware of your surroundings enough to be able to tell when someone is aiming at you and be ready to evade the resulting shot as best as you can.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#20 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:38 AM

Well, if you need to dodge a shot, simply "DO A BARREL ROLL!"

But seriously, I can dodge darts when I'm playing with friends with moderate ease, I usually duck down and that works, but sometimes I have to get creative. And sometimes I just get shot when I'm careless.
I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

#21 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:38 AM

There's not much to explain really, it just takes practice. Just be aware of your surroundings enough to be able to tell when someone is aiming at you and be ready to evade the resulting shot as best as you can.

And remember, If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a dart.. Practice makes perfect.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users