Photo

Crossbow Problems

9 replies to this topic

#1 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:05 PM

I have a deep dark secret: The etape on my crossbow, Gemini, is not just for looks. It turns out that everytime I try to screw in a screw in the main body of the gun (not the handle or stock) The screw just keeps on rotating, not catching on anything or tightening. I don't believe kenner ever made longer versions of their screws, so that is why I have the etape keeping it closed. I want to paint the xbow, so I am asking for some feedback on how to close the gun using screws. I think the screw ports may be stripped, but Im not sure.
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#2 bogboogalars

bogboogalars

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:08 PM

Have you tried a longer/bigger screw?

#3 Rogue Warrior

Rogue Warrior

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:09 PM

what about pinning the two pieces of the shell together. Then it would be aesier to take apart and not require any screws.
My GT is Spacecowboy9951

#4 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:45 PM

Just zip tie the case together. A benefit to zip ties is that they come in a bunch of pretty colors.
Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#5 trogdor65

trogdor65

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:00 PM

Drill out a hole, use a bolt, washers and a nut. Just like Forsaken did to his Lancer.

I did this on my ERTL pump shotgun and it worked great.

#6 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:04 PM

My personal fix for stripped out holes depends upon the type of plastic (most shells are made of ABS), but I like using a bit of universal plastic pipe adhesive in the hole, then screwing everything together as normal. The adhesive will solvent weld the hole a little tighter, but doesn't stick to the metal screws all that well. Particularly the nickel plated type. This essentially rebuilds the threads, and you can still remove them later, if you need to.

Edited by Draconis, 13 August 2008 - 01:00 PM.

[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#7 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:21 PM

I found a screw that worked. I believe I will use the zip tie thing, in the future. Thanks a lot Darkshrimp.
I painted it, integrated a SM1.5k, and it is just plain sexy now, one of the sexier on the NIC. I will post it in a few days.
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#8 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:46 AM

Try filling the port with epoxy putty, putting in the screw, removing it and letting the putty dry.

I'll admit, I haven't tried this yet, so it's probably not a good idea to test it out on a crossbow. However, I have great faith that it would work because the threads on the crossbow screws are so wide and distinct.
"Until we meet in the place where there is no darkness"
-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

Think that piece is beyond repair? Think again!

#9 NerfCrazy

NerfCrazy

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:58 PM

This happened to me and all I did was put some hot glue on the screw and the screw hoe and screwed ti together and held it all together tightly until it dried and it works well.

#10 yoruai

yoruai

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 06:18 AM

Fill the hole with epoxy like Draconis or any of the others said. I like to do this with weapons when I know I won't be taking it apart anymore (on purpose) and hold them together with bands in between tests. The plastics used are made for mass production, not the sturdiest stuff out there so the more you twist those screws the more it wears down.

Of course if you don't like any of their suggestions you could just sell me your crossbow!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users