Photo

Perfect Darts!

32 replies to this topic

#1 Rooster

Rooster

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:22 PM

I've been A member of this site for a while But I don't frequent it as much as i used to, I don't play much Nerf anymore either but I do enjoy making things So I decided I would give making Nerf darts A try.

I used the bigger foam backing rod I'm not sure the size right now. The first thing I made was A small Jig that would allow me to both cut the foam square and to the right length.

Posted Image

I used a razor blade to cut it.
Posted Image

I then did the old darts in a Pillowcase trick and put them in the dryer to straighten them out.

Before I had tried to put the glue on the end with the glue gun but it never really turned out really well, So I made a little bullet form on my lathe.

Posted Image

I burned a small hole in the end of the foam so I could put a weight in, I used some steel nuts.
I put some glue In the form very carefully and pushed the foam in as evenly as I could.
Posted Image
Posted Image

For the other end of the dart I made an attachment that went on the end of A soldering iron, I also made a tube with one end that had a smaller hole in it just big enough for the attachment to go into.
Posted Image

When the end gets hot it burns the foam quite quickly so I had to do it very quickly.
Posted Image

Posted Image

The hole came out very nice and is not jagged, although it does have some burned pieces still in the hole they are easily pulled out. Also If you plan on doing this yourself I suggest You do it in a very well ventilated area, It does let off some fumes.

And here it is.
Posted Image

I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Edited by Rooster, 11 August 2008 - 09:42 PM.

#2 Red Star

Red Star

• Members
  • 159 posts
  • State:Oregon

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:26 PM

:P Wow, Those look amazing,Now if you could just get a hold of some colored hot glue like BSS you'd be in business :P
But have you tested them to Normal darts? If you have what range increase/decrease are you getting inconsistently? ^_^
Red Star's Big Rad Bow W/ Red Star Breech
The Red Star Breech

Xbox Live- IS2DI RedStar Add me if your up for some games

#3 123caviler

123caviler

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:30 PM

So, doesn't the hole make it able to be fired out of stock guns. Oh, yeah, nice job they look a heck of alot better than mine.

Edited by 123caviler, 11 August 2008 - 09:30 PM.

QUOTE(One Man Clan @ Mar 15 2009, 03:49 PM) View Post

O YEAH!
Mr.Kool_Aid,
Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended. blah blah blah

OMC is fucking god.

#4 Rooster

Rooster

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:31 PM

The Only gun I have used them with Is my Night finder that I put A new Barrel on and compared to The other darts that I made These Darts Are Fantastic they shoot absolutely straight and a lot further. I Have never measured the ranged but its decent and They really hurt to get shot by.

#5 Red Star

Red Star

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:34 PM

They really hurt to get shot by.

I saw this and instantly pulled out my wallet.
But are you considering selling them in the future?
The Red Star Breech

#6 ddog

ddog

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:38 PM

Please fix your capitalization, It's giving me a headache.

On topic, those look great. Do they shoot as far as normal Stefs?

#7 Rooster

Rooster

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:38 PM

Lol, well If there is enough Interest maybe.

#8 Red Star

Red Star

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:42 PM

Lol, well If there is enough Interest maybe.

I'd assume people would be interested,why wouldn't they be?
Also do you think you could get us some base ranges and then compare it to your Stefan's? ^_^
Just an idea.

-Red
The Red Star Breech

#9 Foam Shooter

Foam Shooter

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:44 PM

That is the most complex dartsmithing technique that I have seen on the forums. You should make CaptainSlug Darts and compare them. I hope you stay on the forums for longer.

#10 Rooster

Rooster

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:48 PM

So I guess your the Grammar/Capitalization police on this board?
J/K

They shoot further than the other crappier "stefs" that I made they don't curve at all when fired either.

#11 Red Star

Red Star

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:50 PM

So I guess your the Grammar/Capitalization police on this board?
J/K

They shoot further than the other crappier "stefs" that I made they don't curve at all when fired either.

Sounds like probably 60-70 feet straight and land at probably 80?
Thats depending on your Nighfinder Mods and What the weather is like.
The Red Star Breech

#12 Rooster

Rooster

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:54 PM

The only thing I put on my Night finder is a new barrel and I've not shot them outside at all but I could take some test shots and measure how far they went.

#13 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:56 PM

Putting this in the Dart Smithing section would be useful. Its not a new kind of dart, but it definately is a refinement of the classic stefan style... now, how much would it cost to have you mill me one of those bullet stefan tip forms?

Haha, kidding, Probably alot more then I have.

Oh well, nice job, good dart making ideas, and great new tools to add to any nerfers arsenal. I know what I am making soon.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#14 Red Star

Red Star

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:57 PM

The only thing I put on my Night finder is a new barrel and I've not shot them outside at all but I could take some test shots and measure how far they went.

Alright that would help. ^_^
Thanks in advance.

-Red
The Red Star Breech

#15 Rooster

Rooster

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:02 PM

Putting this in the Dart Smithing section would be useful. Its not a new kind of dart, but it definately is a refinement of the classic stefan style... now, how much would it cost to have you mill me one of those bullet stefan tip forms?

Haha, kidding, Probably alot more then I have.

Oh well, nice job, good dart making ideas, and great new tools to add to any nerfers arsenal. I know what I am making soon.

Well actually the bullet form isn't to complicated the one I made is pretty crude i'm sure I could do a better job on it. If I perfect it I could start making more I guess.

Edited by Rooster, 11 August 2008 - 10:05 PM.

#16 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts
  • State:New York

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:38 PM

The problem with a complex dartsmithing procedure is that it takes too long to churn out a large batch of darts. When you spend more time making darts than shooting them at people, the marginal gain of carefully crafted ammo gets dwarfed by the trouble of actually creating them.

So the question is this. From setup to cleanup, How long does it take you to make 100 darts?

#17 Rooster

Rooster

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:56 PM

The problem with a complex dartsmithing procedure is that it takes too long to churn out a large batch of darts. When you spend more time making darts than shooting them at people, the marginal gain of carefully crafted ammo gets dwarfed by the trouble of actually creating them.

So the question is this. From setup to cleanup, How long does it take you to make 100 darts?

I've never actually made a lot of them but if i got right down to it i could churn them out pretty fast, Probably faster than regularly made ammo. I've tried the other ways and they are just too clumsy and the product is very inconsistent.

#18 UpperHand

UpperHand

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:11 PM

Allow me to disagree VACC, and this is just my opinion. I really find that I'd sacrifice time for a better dart, for several reasons. First off, it makes the whole process less expensive. If you make 100 crappy stefans, and only 75 work well, then you have wasted a lot of materials, or money. Also, I'd like to go into a war knowing that my darts are going to perform well, and not perform inconsistently. There is a middle ground though, which is probably your point.

-Upperhand
My SCR-6
My Homemade Sidearm
The least you could do is tell me some advice. geese!

-- Headshot 21

#19 CROW

CROW

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:17 PM

If you ever feel like making more, I'd be willing to pay for a jig and bullet form at a reasonable price.
"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

"ah man, I would give you so much for one of those NIB crossbows or one of those crossbows on the floor. The ones on ebay have gone up to $59 and the shipping alone is $12." -Rip32

#20 AJZ

AJZ

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:47 AM

Edited by AJZ, 13 July 2014 - 06:02 PM.

#21 mintee

mintee

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:41 AM

VERY INTERESTED IN BUYING YOUR DARTS. Very sexy. And the fact that you've got the molds for it will definitely speed up production compared to completely forming the tip with your fingers.

If they work in an angel-breeched Longshot then I will most likely buy at least 100. Total length of 2" please, and no burning holes in the back to simplify things.

(The reason I mentioned the Angel Breech is that it has tightening rings which might cause those darts to jam but if so that's easily fixed by reducing the amount of hot-glue used.)

#22 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts
  • State:New York

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:01 AM

Allow me to disagree VACC, and this is just my opinion. I really find that I'd sacrifice time for a better dart, for several reasons. First off, it makes the whole process less expensive. If you make 100 crappy stefans, and only 75 work well, then you have wasted a lot of materials, or money. Also, I'd like to go into a war knowing that my darts are going to perform well, and not perform inconsistently. There is a middle ground though, which is probably your point.

-Upperhand

You're confusing the issue here. Being simple in construction and being of high quality are not mutually exclusive characteristics. I agree that quality darts are as important as a quality weapon, but that doesn't require that they take a long time to make. And the idea that 25% of a batch of darts would be deffective does not speak to the complexity of the process, as it does to the consistancy of the person making them. In fact, the simpler dartsmithing is, the more likely that the process will produce uniform results.

Slug's washer darts are probably the best example of this. I can make 100 darts in 15 minutes (let's say 30 minutes with straightening and cutting) easy with his method, and each and every one will fly straight.

Now, I'm not saying that this new process does not yield high quality results; I am just pointing out that the notion that a simple process neccessarily yields poor darts is incorrect.

VACC

#23 eddieoctane

eddieoctane

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:39 AM

With jigs and forms to do a fair portion of the work, I don't imagine the darts taking as long to make as people think. When you do more to take the human factor out of the process, things tend to move faster. Hell, with this setup, you could probably make a few simple robots (i.e. mindstorms) automate the process, and turn use it for a capstone project in college. I am an industrial engineering major, and this just got my mind going crazy.

That being said, initial set-up would be a bitch. to mass-produce these darts, a mold capable of putting pits on 10-20 darts at a shot. Machining the metal for the molds would be time-consuming. But if the cutting time goes down to half a second, and you can glue and form 15 darts in as long as it takes one to cool down.

I want to know how long it takes the glue to cool enough to remove the dart from the form. I see that being the biggest time-sink in producing these darts, but that can be remedied with heat-sinks or refrigeration while you wait.

All in all, the is awesome.
C8H18

#24 Rooster

Rooster

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:07 PM

I like that people are so interested In these darts, I never really planned on selling them and unless I found it really worth my while I don't think I will. That being said I've never really got around to trying to make them as fast as I could so I'm not exactly sure How many I could make in an hour.

The Jig makes cutting them to length a breeze I could probably cut about 1000 in an hour. The rest is what takes the time. To answer an earlier question the glue begins to harden almost immediately so It doesn't take very long at all, I suppose if I had 3 or 4 bullet forms I could do them quite fast.

Now unless I'm sure that people will buy them I'm not going to make them so here is what I propose. If I get enough people who would buy them, say at least 1000 rounds total I would think about making them. Now even If enough people wanted them I wouldn't just start making them. I would Send a sample to say 10 or so people like 5 each maybe. Those people I send them too could tell me if there is anything I could change about them because I don't want to make a whole bunch of these things and people buy them, but then they realize they don't work in certain guns or they just don't like them.

So if you are interested in getting any please send me a short email telling me how many you would buy.
Cia_pnub@hotmail.com

P.S Price wise I was thinking in the neighborhood of 25$ for 50 rounds Plus Shipping

#25 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts
  • State:New Jersey

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:24 PM

That price ($25 for 50) is unrealistic. Mod man (fucking sellout) sells his (made of FA's red foam, which he resells as his own) at $15 for 50, I'm selling some at $15 for 80, and blacksunshine sells his at $15 for 90, to give you some idea as to the going rate.
Teehee.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users