Nerf Noob

and I bought a Recon

16 replies to this topic

#1 ibme

ibme

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:51 AM

Now don't go flaming me for buying a recon...

I've read that a lot of you don't like the recon. I've also read that a lot of you are serious Nerfer's that actually use a lot of these outside. I fortunately only have an office war / office assassin game to play. I decided to pick up the recon because everyone else had the Maverick, or the Night Finder. I figure I'd come in with something totally different.

I then decided to sign up on these boards because I've been watching videos from a kid on youtube named uin13. I liked all his paint jobs (love the 6th Longshot), plus the unintentional comedy, and I heard him talk about these boards. So I figure I'd give it a shot.

I just wanted to ask you seasoned pros where I can find an extra clip? I've only seen one on ebay, and the hasbro and amazon websites are all sold out.

I also wanted to know if the recon can shoot any of the other darts besides the streamlines? I know it won't take the micro darts with the suction cups. Because of that I unfortunately can't use anyone else's ammo in the office... But I figure if I but a couple of darts that work with both I'm sure I won't mind.
"Beware of artists - they mix with all classes of society and are therfore most dangerous" - Queen Victoria

#2 marriedmynitefinder

marriedmynitefinder

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:55 AM

You might post a "Want to Buy" Thread in the trading section. Some people may have some clips they are willing to part with.
I prefer apple bottoms. Yeah, I said it.
-direct threat

#3 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:02 AM

Now don't go flaming me for buying a recon...

I've read that a lot of you don't like the recon. I've also read that a lot of you are serious Nerfer's that actually use a lot of these outside. I fortunately only have an office war / office assassin game to play. I decided to pick up the recon because everyone else had the Maverick, or the Night Finder. I figure I'd come in with something totally different.

I then decided to sign up on these boards because I've been watching videos from a kid on youtube named uin13. I liked all his paint jobs (love the 6th Longshot), plus the unintentional comedy, and I heard him talk about these boards. So I figure I'd give it a shot.

I just wanted to ask you seasoned pros where I can find an extra clip? I've only seen one on ebay, and the hasbro and amazon websites are all sold out.

I also wanted to know if the recon can shoot any of the other darts besides the streamlines? I know it won't take the micro darts with the suction cups. Because of that I unfortunately can't use anyone else's ammo in the office... But I figure if I but a couple of darts that work with both I'm sure I won't mind.

Uin13 there is known as ice here. I would just continue to check hasbro and amazon if no one has any clips to sell here (highly unlikely). They'll restock eventually.

Edited by analogkid, 11 August 2008 - 10:02 AM.

#4 nerf mafia

nerf mafia

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:09 AM

They do sell extra clips on Hasbro.com they sell them much cheaper there than on ebay or here. The clips can be modded to shoot stefans.
THE OHIO PLAYDATE. WE PLAY WITH FORKS.

#5 Crimmy

Crimmy

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:20 AM

What...how could this be? A Ice fan that know's how to spell? and not speak like a forthgrader. that's pretty cool. Anyway on to the topic hasbro sell's extra clips on their website ---> http://www.hasbrotoy...O&ID=20979&PG=8

Welcome to the haven.

#6 123caviler

123caviler

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:55 AM

I am pretty sure that says out of stock Crimmy, that's why ibme said that Amazon and Hasbro were out of them.

Edit: I forgot that Amazon DOES sell longshot clips, and they are in stock, as of right now.
Longshot clips But, It would be cheaper to just get a NIB LS.

Edited by 123caviler, 11 August 2008 - 12:54 PM.

QUOTE(One Man Clan @ Mar 15 2009, 03:49 PM) View Post

O YEAH!
Mr.Kool_Aid,
Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended. blah blah blah

OMC is fucking god.

#7 ibme

ibme

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:24 AM

What...how could this be? A Ice fan that know's how to spell? and not speak like a forthgrader. that's pretty cool. Anyway on to the topic hasbro sell's extra clips on their website ---> http://www.hasbrotoy...O&ID=20979&PG=8

Welcome to the haven.

I'm well past the fourth grade good sir. I'm sure Ice has younger fans due to him also being so young. I'm telling you that kid's got some talent.

And yes unfortunately Hasbro is out of stock on the clips. On a good note someone has already PM'ed me about selling his clips!

Does anyone know if the recon can take any other darts? I heard Taggers may work, but I don't want to go off and buy a bag of Taggers just to find out that they don't work... It looks like those whistling darts may fit, but I think the head may be too big.
"Beware of artists - they mix with all classes of society and are therfore most dangerous" - Queen Victoria

#8 raw shrimp

raw shrimp

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:36 AM

I've read somewhere here that some people have been able too fire taggers out of their recons. Whenever I try it doesn't work.

This is someone in your same situation, only he had a different gun. I think there pretty similiar, so you could try this.
http://nerfhaven.com...topic=11709&hl=

You also just might wanna scroll down to where he mods the bolt. I forgot he did all that other stuff

Edited by raw shrimp, 11 August 2008 - 11:39 AM.

#9 BendyStraw

BendyStraw

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:39 AM

I've tried all dart types in a friend's Recon, and only streamlines worked without jamming in the barrel, scraping against the barrel on their way out, etc.

However, there might be something in the modification directory that could allow you to fire other dart types. I'd say that you might have to mod the clips too, but I'd read the longshot and recon mods in the archive for more details.
I have never personally liked the Recon, or the Longshot for that matter, because despite the Longshot's power, they would either rope you into using stremlines (which fail utterly when you fire them with any kind of air gun) or having to make a batch of stefans that your friends (who are likely using their stock Mavericks) can't use at all.
WARNING - I'M BRUTALLY HARD TO READ!

#10 ibme

ibme

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:41 AM

I forgot to mention I have the newer Recon. The only new thing I can see physically about it is the fact that it has an extra piece of black plastic on the back that covers up the orange plunger (I don't know if that's the technical term for it or not).

In the videos that I've seen for the Recon I always saw the orange plunger stick out of the back whenever it was cocked.

#11 Oni Kadaki

Oni Kadaki

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:51 AM

I got my spare clips from the two longshots I have (I got the second one because a friend of mine jumped into a deceptively deep creek with my first, which I figured couldn't have been good for the internals). I'd say shell out the $30 or so for a longshot, you get two clips and it's a great stock gun.

#12 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 12:59 PM

Welcome to the haven.

Why does everyone here hate me?

EDIT: I have way to many longshots, thus also alot of clips. I'd be willing to sell 4 stock clips for the same price hasbro does, $5 each.

Edited by ice, 11 August 2008 - 01:01 PM.

<!--quoteo(post=206428:date=Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Mukersman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mukersman @ Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Turd stefans. When I pulled these out of the pillow case i was just like, what... the... fuck...
Muker
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#13 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:00 PM

I forgot to mention I have the newer Recon. The only new thing I can see physically about it is the fact that it has an extra piece of black plastic on the back that covers up the orange plunger (I don't know if that's the technical term for it or not).

In the videos that I've seen for the Recon I always saw the orange plunger stick out of the back whenever it was cocked.

Internally they are identical. except for the cover and the lenght of the plunger tube is shortened down to its actual capacity instead of having the extra 2" of dead space.
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#14 AJZ

AJZ

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:10 PM

Edited by AJZ, 13 July 2014 - 06:03 PM.

#15 Crimmy

Crimmy

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 02:30 PM

Welcome to the haven.

Why does everyone here hate me?

EDIT: I have way to many longshots, thus also alot of clips. I'd be willing to sell 4 stock clips for the same price hasbro does, $5 each.

If you read carefuly i said that your FANS are idiots. You must know better than most that the comments they leave is some of the worst things you could ever read.

On to the topic again. I saw a bunch of long shots for only 23-28 bucks you should really look around for a longshot that isn't to much.

#16 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:41 PM

Streamlines are the only stock darts that work reliably in the recon clips. If you are desperate during a war, however, you can muzzle load other types of darts. Just cock the gun, push a dart into the barrel, and fire. The performance is less than that of streamlines, but it's better than nothing if you're out of your darts.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#17 ibme

ibme

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:22 PM

Streamlines are the only stock darts that work reliably in the recon clips. If you are desperate during a war, however, you can muzzle load other types of darts. Just cock the gun, push a dart into the barrel, and fire. The performance is less than that of streamlines, but it's better than nothing if you're out of your darts.

Weird that you mentioned that because I tried that at work today. There's a plastic piece that actually is in the way when I cock it.

It's only a silly office arms race really. I think what I'll do is just buy 2 refill packs of the streamlines. It's a pity that I can't shoot the suction darts. Those stick to anything now-a-days! I remember back in the days when they would only stick on glass, and even then they wouldn't stay on there long. But the darts I've seen in the office stick to almost all our walls. A dart accidentally hit a postcard that I had in my cubicle and it stuck on there too.

Edited by ibme, 12 August 2008 - 02:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users