Photo

Vulcan Ammo Box Mod

14 replies to this topic

#1 SPU-Nerf

SPU-Nerf

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 02:25 PM

So I got the Vulcan with the bonus and two extra chains with the idea of creating a 100 round chain but it didn't work out too well.
At first I had the chain in a loop and I had disabled the lock on the chain guard but the Vulcan couldn't pull the chain from one side of a box to the other.
Next I tried to do a 100 round chain but no loop and I found the box and the catch box had to be huge and it was way too bulky.
So then I went with 50 round chains and it works great. The biggest problem with a 50 round chain is that on the extruding end it weights down the gun and makes it jam, so if you put in a catch box then there is no problem.
So I cut out the bottom of the ammo box and added on to it so it would hold the 50 round chain. Then I added the catch box on the other side. Material used is the cardboard from the box the gun came in and good old duct tape. Yes it is connected on the bottom so that a chain could loop to one side to the other but that was left over from my other trials.

Posted Image

Posted Image

No other mods on this gun as it seems that the Vulcan is too complex/well engineered to be improved (but please prove me wrong)

Splitlip chain mods were used.

Chains can be worn by using rubber bands to hold them together, in doing that it takes about one minute to throw out the used chain and load up the chain being worn to reload the Vulcan.

This gun rules in indoor wars!

#2 AJZ

AJZ

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 02:37 PM

Edited by AJZ, 13 July 2014 - 06:11 PM.

#3 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 02:45 PM

And now slug designs one to hold a 500 round chain... Really though, this is a nice mod for the chain and I would probably do it.

#4 Daecu

Daecu

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 02:56 PM

Its not the prettiest thing ever but if it lets you feed the 50 link chain then that's beautiful on its own. You should get some orange duct tape :) Thanks for sharing this though, could be really useful!

(First post :huh: thanks for validating, admins!)

#5 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:04 PM

Very cool. A really good, easy way to make the gun more practical.

You should read the other stuff I've done. With a better seal and a spring addition I did get to add over 15' on average to the stock range. I'm still working on my major overhaul. You can see some more details of that i my proof of concept thread.
Teehee.

#6 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:22 AM

You can use a 100rd chain, but you have to have someone feeding the chain haha. I did it with a friend just for kicks. Firing 100rds nonstop across my apartment while my buddy fed the belt was priceless.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#7 bartel

bartel

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:31 AM

Man, all the Vulcan mods are going up and I have yet to find one in stock in my area. Great mod though. I like the Vulcan box pictures inside the duct tape. It could be a little cleaner, but it's great for a prototype of sorts. Does it add a lot of bulk?
"I say anyone who knows how to mod a Nerf gun is a badass" -Leaf-o, www.angryaardvark.netfreehost.com

#8 g-force

g-force

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:50 AM

I plan on doing the same with a tupperware container.
QUOTE(Carbon @ Jul 28 2008, 03:25 AM) View Post

My god, you actually built it. To that, all I can say is, "bravo".

Chubbs

#9 SPU-Nerf

SPU-Nerf

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 02:19 PM

@ AJ.Z Chains do not get tangled so no divider needed. Yes it would look much nicer if it was made of plastic, but I put this together in about two hours and most of that time was trying to make a 100 round chain work.

@ Daecu Yes Orange duct tape would look nicer but I had silver right at hand.

@ Splitlip Thanks; That's great that you got some improvement on the range but it looks like it is a lot of work (screws) and there is a good danger that you would trash the gun. I think that I will wait some more for a consensus on the best mod for the gun.

@ bartel It doesn't add that much bulk on the gun, a little bit more than using the Vulcan with the tripod attached.

@ g-force Nice tupperware, but how is Chubbs going to like it?

#10 g-force

g-force

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 04:24 PM

I think chubbs will like it very much.
QUOTE(Carbon @ Jul 28 2008, 03:25 AM) View Post

My god, you actually built it. To that, all I can say is, "bravo".

Chubbs

#11 Crenshaw

Crenshaw

• Banned
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:34 PM

As for this gun being so well engineered it can't be improved. How about a cooling fan to prevent servo overheat? This can happen on a hot day outside in a all day nerf war, not just with over volted modded vulcans.

Creative idea to solve the ammo problem. I'm looking for something less bulky, perhaps tupperware makes something about that width for a light ammobox expansion.

This thread last saw action a little over five years ago. Keep an eye on the last post date and don't necro threads, as per the CoC and the New User Guide.

Edited by Carbon, 02 September 2013 - 05:32 PM.

#12 Crenshaw

Crenshaw

• Banned
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:55 PM

blah blah blah you should close threads after so long if that's what you want. What possible harm could come from people talking about a nerf gun over an extended period of time. Pretty controlling if you ask me, lighten up this is a website about children's toys for God's sake. Good Lord that's so swarmy and nitpicky. Found out I have a warning meeter now because I talked about an ammo box expansion on a toy nerf gun and a cooling fan. Really? Get a life.

As for this gun being so well engineered it can't be improved. How about a cooling fan to prevent servo overheat? This can happen on a hot day outside in a all day nerf war, not just with over volted modded vulcans.

Creative idea to solve the ammo problem. I'm looking for something less bulky, perhaps tupperware makes something about that width for a light ammobox expansion.

This thread last saw action a little over five years ago. Keep an eye on the last post date and don't necro threads, as per the CoC and the New User Guide.

#13 Crenshaw

Crenshaw

• Banned
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:01 PM

I'd have to say that my favorite part of this is when a moderator from a site for children's toys naming himself "HQRSE CQCK" took the time to send me this.... I'm wondering why he'd take the time to track down a poster and harass them...........

"HQRSE CQCK

PM this member

Group: Moderators
State:Puerto Rico

Sent Today, 05:01 PM
I need to satisfy my own intellectual curiosity:
What set of actions lead to you posting in a five year old thread? Don't take this as me giving you shit, because I'm actually really curious as to how that happens.
Amazing, What's coming out lists & idea threads are pounced upon without remorse by the dusc I meen moderators but this one goes unmolested"

blah blah blah you should close threads after so long if that's what you want. What possible harm could come from people talking about a nerf gun over an extended period of time. Pretty controlling if you ask me, lighten up this is a website about children's toys for God's sake. Good Lord that's so swarmy and nitpicky. Found out I have a warning meeter now because I talked about an ammo box expansion on a toy nerf gun and a cooling fan. Really? Get a life.

#14 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:11 PM

It's a vacation day, so I'll take some time to address your freakout.

blah blah blah you should close threads after so long if that's what you want.

It's far easier to ask the members when they sign up to not post in old threads, and hope they know how to read and follow directions. Oh well, can't win them all.

What possible harm could come from people talking about a nerf gun over an extended period of time.

No "harm", per se, but the Founders (who are paying for the site) want the front page of posts to be current discussions. Their house, their rules.

Pretty controlling if you ask me

Welcome to NerfHaven.

lighten up this is a website about children's toys for God's sake. Good Lord that's so swarmy and nitpicky.

I love it when people say "this is a site about children's toys!". What's your point? There's a list of rules that we ask users to follow. Not posting in old threads is one of them. If you have a problem with it, take it up with the site administrators.

Found out I have a warning meeter now

That only you and the moderators can see. Not that you particularly care by this point, but the warning meter is just a tool so we know who we've talked to.

because I talked about an ammo box expansion on a toy nerf gun and a cooling fan. Really? Get a life.

You know, some people just say, "oops, my bad" when the have a house rule pointed out to them. Some people have a flaming shit fit. I see that you fall into the latter group. Consider switching to decaf, and enjoy one of the other fine Nerfing site on the internet. The door is that way.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#15 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:19 PM

It occurred to me when I wrote that PM that it might come off sounding something other then totally serious. Oh well. Someday, someone is going to actually answer my PM when I ask them how the fuck they find these old threads to necro.

FYI, my name isn't "HQRSE CQCK", it's "Daniel Beaver".
...though "Beaver" doubles as both an animal and a genital, so I'll give your indignation a pass.

Edited by Daniel Beaver, 02 September 2013 - 09:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users