Photo

Brass Barreled Ss1

9 replies to this topic

#1 Grinch

Grinch

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 02:49 PM

I'm not sure if this is original or not, but I got sick of my tri-barreled SS1, and I decided to convert it to a single shot, nested brass barrel.

The first thing I did was sand down the three raised bumps on the plunger tube. These bumps originally locked into the triangular piece. Since I wasn't going to be using the triangular piece anyways, the locking mechanism didn't really matter.

Next, I boared out the inside of the plunger tube with my dremel. I tried to get it to be a tight fitting hole about the size of the OD of 1/2" schedule 80 PVC. I was able to get the right size perfectly with the right tools. My technique of shoving the PVC directly into the plunger tube is nothing new. Yakman did it on his Ratchetblast a while back. After all was well, I was able to jam the 4" section of PVC about 1/4" into the plunger tube, and with a little hot glue, it was perfectly airtight.

Next, I cut a piece of 9/16 size brass about the same length as the PVC (4"). I shoved it in, and with a little hot glue, it too was airtight. The thing I love about schedule 80 PVC is that nesting brass is so much easier. No electrical tape is needed, it is an absolute perfect fit.

Done! I put it back together and tested it with micro Stefans. It's nothing to phone home about. I like my Lock 'n Load and SF better, but hey, it's still a decent pistol. I like it. The reason the front of the case is cut off is because the gun was previously tri-barreled. I would definitely recommend this mod.

Posted Image
Webmaster of Nerf World

Previously mrgrinch_nm!

#2 neonerfer

neonerfer

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 02:59 PM

I like it. Why were you sick of the tri-barreled?
"Do not question that which is. Question that which will never be."

#3 Grinch

Grinch

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 03:21 PM

It wasn't getting me the ranges or accuracy I wanted, and I didn't find it durable enough.
Webmaster of Nerf World

Previously mrgrinch_nm!

#4 Dan Wask

Dan Wask

• Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 03:24 PM

I'm gonna have to get some brass, I have had my single barreled ss1 for a while.
QUOTE (Arcanis @ Apr 9 2005, 12:02 AM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

#5 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts
  • State:Texas

Posted 22 December 2003 - 08:53 PM

Has anyone tried to tri barrel a SS1 with Brass? I wonder how well it would fit, as there is no room for nesting the barrels. I should be getting a ss1 from Italiain Stalion soon, I might try it over break. I'll have to visit the hardware store and see what I can find.

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#6 Black Blade

Black Blade

• Members
  • 541 posts
  • State:California

Posted 23 December 2003 - 02:57 PM

What's the range?

#7 Exis

Exis

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 03:09 PM

I've brass-tribarreled one before. What I found is that it gets 60-80 (all three shots included) and works rather well. The only problem is, as you said, the barrels are very close to one another, so there are incidences of a dart hitting a barrel and going off trajectory.

-Coop
I'm a noob... so sue me...

#8 NinjaBob

NinjaBob

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 25 December 2003 - 07:11 PM

That is almost exactly what I did to my ss1, I even cut off the case where you did. I liked it because I got ranges around 65 feet flat from waist high. I drilled out the end of the plunger tube and everything. I even told 2kmaster over at NHQ how to do it not to long ago.
facebook.com/gregdp

#9 lech

lech

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • State:Victoria

Posted 25 December 2003 - 10:59 PM

I singled my ss1, I glued the brass straight on, without cutting the end of the plunger shaft :) , got about 60 feet. I had heaps of rubber bands on it though, and the case cracked and eventually the handle snapped off :(...

Edited by lech, 25 December 2003 - 10:59 PM.

#10 Blaster

Blaster

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 05:05 PM

This looks like a great mod! only actual problem i can see with it is that if you wanted to modify something on the inside you'd have to remove all the tape.
"The voice of the American people has been heard; and, I won't imitate it, out of respect for the retarded."
Lewis Black (concerning the 04 election results)
www.lewisblack.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users