Photo

Stefan Length Poll

27 replies to this topic

Poll: prefered stefan length (185 member(s) have cast votes)

what stefan length do you think works best? If you prefered length isn't listed just choose the closest length.

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 KingCosmo7

KingCosmo7

• Banned
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 10:48 PM

I know there are different ways to make stefans but in my opinion length is the key factor in how far it will go.
"His chops are too righteous! The helmets can't handle this level of rock n' roll!"

#2 bpso86

bpso86

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 10:56 PM

Inch and a half.

Longer=more friction=less power. Plus, I don't use a longshot or recon so I dont need long darts for the clips.

#3 AJZ

AJZ

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 10:59 PM

I have both 2" and 1.5" lengths and it seems that the grey (1.5") stefans work better than my red (2") stefans in pistols, smaller guns, etc. Both seem to work fine in my longshot and BBB.

Smaller darts = pistols and pretty much anything

Larger = more powerful, not so well in pistols

Edited by AJ.Z, 08 August 2008 - 11:00 PM.

#4 KingCosmo7

KingCosmo7

• Banned
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 11:52 PM

Inch and a half.

Longer=more friction=less power. Plus, I don't use a longshot or recon so I dont need long darts for the clips.

But shorter = less air resistance = faster deceleration
"His chops are too righteous! The helmets can't handle this level of rock n' roll!"

#5 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 12:35 AM

I've become accustomed to making 1 3/4 inch stefs. when mixed with my group's method of letting darts dry they're the perfect dart size, nice balance, and top range and accuracy.

Don't call it a comeback, I never left.

#6 doubleshot

doubleshot

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 01:03 AM

I just kinda cut em to a length that looks decent. I don't really get all scientific like these cats above me here. At apoc the only difference different stefans made was because they were either the right diameter for my barrel, or they weren't. I didn't really see any variance in distance or accuracy as far as length goes.

Edited by doubleshot, 09 August 2008 - 01:03 AM.

92% of people make up statistics. If you're one of the 8% who don't, put this in your signature

#7 Tornado13

Tornado13

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 01:06 AM

Personaly I use 1.5 inch stefans because they work good in all guns. At least for me they do. :) Also with my Longshot my stefans are short enough for shotgunning.

Sidenote: Yay first post! :D (After 1 and a half months of waiting for approval)

#8 perezinthenet

perezinthenet

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 06:54 AM

So far I've only used 1.5 inch stefans and they work great so I'm sticking with them

#9 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 06:57 AM

You're talking about a difference of .5-1". You're results with any dart between 1.5" and 2" really won't be any different.
Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#10 CrazyIvan VI

CrazyIvan VI

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 08:32 AM

Inch and a half.

I'm sorry, it might be because I'm really tired. But shouldn't that say,

Shorter = Less Air Resistance = SLOWER deceleration?

And Longer =/= less power.

Depending on the air output of your gun, wouldn't a longer stefan creating more friction allow you to have a shorter barrel?
I get all giddy when I see VACC browsing a stupid topic. I just know someone is going to get banned.

#11 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 08:48 AM

Yeah, cosmo messed that up, he meant more air-resistance. Not that either bpso's or his statements are true.

The weights matching the power of the gun has always determined distance for me, and the weights being on center or not has always determined accuracy. I generally use 1.75", partly because from a 100' roll it gives me 85 more stefans, but mostly because 1.5" is too short. 2" stefans work very well though, and I do like round numbers if I'm fabbing up a breech or something.

It's all about practicality. Range and accuracy won't be affected by the length. The amount of jams in a deodorant clip, for example, will be.
Teehee.

#12 trogdor65

trogdor65

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 08:48 AM

Well I use 4 cm (1.6 in.) long stefans, the metric system just makes more sense to me.

#13 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:39 AM

I go with 2.25 in. That's a little shorter than a stock dart, but still long enough for a CS-6 magazine.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#14 Shadowblade

Shadowblade

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:31 AM

I'm actually experimenting with .75" to 1" stefans right now. I'm loading 3-4 of them into my converted watergun barrel and using it as a shotgun. 2 or 3 of those short stefans also fits into my modded NF, thus converting it into a mini shotgun.
Proverbs says, "The wise man doth not shoot the Viking in the ding ding for he shall pummel thee."

But you can totally shoot Vacc there, he loves it!

~Talio

#15 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:48 AM

1 3/4" It makes them an ok size while they remain accurate and not too small.

#16 Salmon

Salmon

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:01 AM

When I was a noob I used to make like 3-inch-long stefans. It's not a good idea.
But anyways, I say 1 1/2", or at least cut your blanks that long. I make Sluggy-style darts, and they come out ~1 3/4" long fully tipped. They have yet to fail me(besides having a minor range decrease from traditionally made stefans, but the time it takes to make them makes up for that.)
Welcome to I-dont-care-isburg, population: me.
We're located in I-Don't-Give-a-Damn County, in scenic Shut-the-Hell-Up-achussets.
Maybe you're familiar with our annual charity drive where we ask for shit, and no one gives any.

#17 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:37 AM

I personally keep them in between 1.25"-1.5".

Not only do I find they are more accurate, but they are less likely to bend in a pocket, pouch or however else you carry them during a war. This length works best in my barrels. I use OMC's petg and 9/16" brass.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#18 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 12:11 PM

Of all the factors that affect the range of your NERF blaster, 1/2" difference in dart length isn't very significant (two inches, however, is very significant). For my air guns I use 1/2 length Converted Tagger Darts weighted with 1/4" steel slingshot ammo in CPVC. I just cut the tagger dart in half, and I think that is about 1.25". I have yet to find any other dart/barrel combination that achieves the same range in high powerd guns.

So to sum it up, about 1.25" (with 1/4" variation).

#19 bpso86

bpso86

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 12:37 PM

Depending on the air output of your gun, wouldn't a longer stefan creating more friction allow you to have a shorter barrel?

I was simply saying that in the SAME GUN with the SAME BARREL, the shorter stefan will pack more punch and be able to shoot farther simply because it has less material contacting the barrel walls. This is why long stefans don't work in guns with meager air outputs (pistols, etc.), but with high powered guns the length doesn't make a big difference.

Obviously, though, the difference is miniscule, if you have something like a big blast and are trying to decide between 1.5" and 2" stefans. I always go smaller because it allows me to use smaller weights, get more darts out of my foam and overall they're cheaper because of this.

#20 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 03:00 PM

I made a mini batch of stefans of foam that I found in the park in Columbus (white fbr in the middle of a field).

With a crossfire, BBB and a 2k, the best length is 1.5+a little.

It is better to over estimate than under. anything longer than 2 gets to big and anything shorter than 1.5 is just too short for good aerodynamics (shooting a rock instead of a dart).

Basically, do what your guns perform best with.

I might make a batch with smaller weights for pistols and one for primaries.

Man I can't wait until my McMaster order comes in.
Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#21 KingCosmo7

KingCosmo7

• Banned
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 12:57 AM

Inch and a half.

I'm sorry, it might be because I'm really tired. But shouldn't that say,

Shorter = Less Air Resistance = SLOWER deceleration?

my bad. i meant like how you can through a base ball further than a wuffle ball since it is more heavier and can bust through the air better.

#22 Aimless

Aimless

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 02:06 AM

From my experience, 1.5" darts work the best. I find that my blasters can shoot 1" darts much faster but they go all over the place, 2" darts fly true but the FPS is so low that mortar shots are the necessary for any range. The insanely tight CPVC (.468") I use needs darts that are as short as practically possible.
It makes the world go round.

#23 halfway33

halfway33

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:33 PM

Not only do I find they are more accurate, but they are less likely to bend in a pocket, pouch or however else you carry them during a war. This length works best in my barrels. I use OMC's petg and 9/16" brass.

listen to angel...... I mean.... its angel. 1.55 to 1.6 inch for me. More darts for less cash.
No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it, by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country Genral Patton

#24 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:39 PM

listen to angel...... I mean.... its angel. 1.55 to 1.6 inch for me. More darts for less cash.

You necroed a dead topic. Which is bad. Anyways, since this thread is back, 1.5 inch.

#25 halfway33

halfway33

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:42 PM

You necroed a dead topic. Which is bad. Anyways, since this thread is back, 1.5 inch.

I'm new here. is that bad?
No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it, by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country Genral Patton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users