New Nerfer Database

Fuck Frappr

141 replies to this topic

#26 Philote

Philote

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 02:04 PM

Wow, I'm the only one in MA so far. Damnit.
EPH!
What do I wnat for my birthday? The usual, money, a Xbox Game, and a throng of bearded men. You know, the usual stuff.

#27 UpperHand

UpperHand

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 07:34 PM

This is a great idea, and can hopefully be used to help organize wars. Also Philote, I'm in Massachusetts too.

-Upperhand
My SCR-6
My Homemade Sidearm
The least you could do is tell me some advice. geese!

-- Headshot 21

#28 boisie

boisie

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:39 PM

I'm added, but I have a question for langley. How did you get it to retrieve the location from your user profile? I didn't even have to enter my location. Also, don't "dumb it down", as I'm a PHP coder by trade (Web Construction and Design, my self-proclaimed title)
QUOTE(One Man Clan) View Post
You understand what you just did posting a picture of 4 girls on a message board chock full of nerdy virgins, right?
QUOTE(Foamfoot) View Post
Maybe if we download Ubuntu Christian edition, God will help us install it.

#29 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:50 PM

I implemented a PHP package which can download the contents of a webpage and navigate it the same way you navigate the DOM when you're programming in javascript. So I just looped through all the td tags until I found one that contains the word 'Location', and then the location info is just that node's parent's second child.

Edit: less than 24 hours since I set this up, and 80 of you have already contributed. But the thread has got more than 600 views, and I know I'm not reloading /that/ much, so some of you are skipping the validation page I so carefully crafted. Get on there and geocode your meatspace coordinates, or I'll come to your teeth and kick in your house.....or something. (my sleep to code ratio is getting pretty low.)

Edited by Langley, 04 August 2008 - 10:54 PM.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#30 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:37 AM

You rock, Langley.

I'm doing it.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#31 aetherguy881

aetherguy881

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:19 AM

Awesome! I just did it. It's on the state road closest to me.

Yes, I'm back, hopefully I'll find time to do some nerfing 'n such. [/hijack]

Again, well done, I like this idea.
--Modify a blaster for a kid and he'll be entertained for a week. Teach him how to modify blasters and he'll become an engineer--
NERFtastic!
FOAMalicious!
DARTomatic!
--Silly emo kids, go draw yourself a picture--

#32 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:26 AM

I am in there too now.
This thing is pretty cool.

I am pretty sure your name goes on the list in numerical order of your member #.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#33 Doom

Doom

NH's Official In-House Physicist

• Administrators
  • 559 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:34 AM

Done.

You might want to implement a way to note that the nerfer can be at two locations. A simple separator like | should suffice. PHP makes that easy with split(). I switch between Jefferson, MD and College Park, MD during the year so this would help people like me.

#34 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:20 AM

I will probably set that up as a feature on my site when it launches, rather than cut the available location information in your NH profile in half. I'll also allow for a comment explaining the second location (ie school, weekends and holidays, summer place, etc.)

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#35 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:43 AM

Did it. My zipcode is small enough to be as specific as I would want to be on the internet.

#36 Salmon

Salmon

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:45 AM

I don't know much about coding or anything, so I may be wrong, but couldn't you just put everybody in the database by going to thier profiles and copy-pasting the URL in? It would be easier to just have them do it themselves, but maybe if people refused to sign up you could do that. But I see a problem in it, that if someone could do something like that, and you didn't want to be signed up for whatever reason, you couldn't be completely secure.
Welcome to I-dont-care-isburg, population: me.
We're located in I-Don't-Give-a-Damn County, in scenic Shut-the-Hell-Up-achussets.
Maybe you're familiar with our annual charity drive where we ask for shit, and no one gives any.

#37 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:58 AM

.......huh?

I set up the validation page so that people can prepare their NH profiles for when the Nerfer Locater launches. I set up a list of people that have used the tool as an afterthought. I fully intend to crawl the whole NH members list and get everyone's location information. This thread is just to encourage people to use google-compatible location information.

Edit: We're up to 94.

Edited by Langley, 06 August 2008 - 10:00 AM.

2016 Nerf War Schedule

#38 Salmon

Salmon

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:11 AM

Ok, sorry, I thought this was the finished version. Nevermind.
Welcome to I-dont-care-isburg, population: me.
We're located in I-Don't-Give-a-Damn County, in scenic Shut-the-Hell-Up-achussets.
Maybe you're familiar with our annual charity drive where we ask for shit, and no one gives any.

#39 bobafan

bobafan

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:11 PM

Do you want NHQ in on this? They're still NIC.

Great job by the way.
thaygor: all i remimber is pumping it hard and shooting than trying to pump again

---

<death09>my girlfriend broke up with me and sent me pix of her and her new boyfriend in bed
<ktp753>ouch.
<death09>yeah.i sent them to her dad

#40 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:17 PM

Great job by the way.

There's not a whole lot of HQ folks who are not on here, I don't think it would be necessary... not to mention HQ uses a different forum software.

Edited by baghead, 06 August 2008 - 12:20 PM.

Don't call it a comeback, I never left.

#41 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:39 PM

Well, I was saving this for the staff forum, but I guess I may as well open it up to everyone. Should I? The original plan was to set up features that worked for both sites, but NerfHQ has been experiencing a lot of downtime lately. And when was the last time anyone posted about a nerf war on HQ? I could modify the code a bit to work with HQ as well, but I feel like it would be a waste of time.

Edited by Langley, 06 August 2008 - 12:43 PM.

2016 Nerf War Schedule

#42 marriedmynitefinder

marriedmynitefinder

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:41 PM

Location resubmitted.
I prefer apple bottoms. Yeah, I said it.
-direct threat

#43 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:47 PM

Well, I was saving this for the staff forum, but I guess I may as well open it up to everyone. Should I? The original plan was to set up features that worked for both sites, but NerfHQ has been experiencing a lot of downtime lately. And when was the last time anyone posted about a nerf war on HQ? I could modify the code a bit to work with HQ as well, but I feel like it would be a waste of time.

I'll start by saying no. Haven is the place to go to for wars, and like you said, most of them are on here anyway. If the account names are different, wouldn't they get listed twice for the same area, too? I think it would be a waste of time and effort.
Teehee.

#44 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:16 PM

Well one of the features I'm working on is HavenLinked accounts, which will allow you to prove you own a particular NerfHaven account. That way, you can add information to your ProjectNerf profile about your NerfHaven account, like your username. If I set that up for NHQ, I would have information in my database about what accounts a person has on which sites, and I could use that to prevent redundant data from showing up on the map. So it's possible to get info from NHQ without it being redundant for all the people who are on both sites. The question is, is there really anyone over there who isn't over here, or for whom NHQ is their primary forum? And if there are such people, do we care?

Edited by Langley, 06 August 2008 - 01:17 PM.

2016 Nerf War Schedule

#45 bobafan

bobafan

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:21 PM

I think we should.
They are kinda like an annoying little brother, but they are still nerfers.
thaygor: all i remimber is pumping it hard and shooting than trying to pump again

---

<death09>my girlfriend broke up with me and sent me pix of her and her new boyfriend in bed
<ktp753>ouch.
<death09>yeah.i sent them to her dad

#46 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 02:10 PM

My information is compatable... It always has been, however I am only just now getting my drivers license so I haven't been to any wars yet.

#47 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 02:21 PM

We just hit 100 entries on the list, FYI. Although some of you are still using the tool without updating your information. If you're on the list, and you have 'No Information' next to your username, why? Do you wish to conceal your location or do you just not care?

2016 Nerf War Schedule

#48 BendyStraw

BendyStraw

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 02:32 PM

Very cool. It's awesome to see that some better-known members of the community live right near me!

Looks like a Virginia nerf outing is in order...
WARNING - I'M BRUTALLY HARD TO READ!

#49 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 02:38 PM

I think we should.
They are kinda like an annoying little brother, but they are still nerfers.

I actually agree with that. I just was concerned with the redundancy factor... and the fact that it would be even more work for Langley. but if he's game. I'm definitely going to say HQers who aren't on NH should be included too.

There's ONE Nerf Internet Community, and we're all part of it.

Edited by baghead, 06 August 2008 - 02:39 PM.

Don't call it a comeback, I never left.

#50 tatertotguy

tatertotguy

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 03:13 PM

I think there is going to be an increase in Nerf related crime such as RF20 drive-by's and people getting sniped in their back yard by a singled Titan. This google map could be very useful.
"So thats when she says, 'No that's my belly button'."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users