Homemade Barrel

is it too long?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Dis

Lord Dis

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 05:59 PM

I made a homemade out of a scuba tank, a presure gauge, a ball valve, and some pvc, my main problem is im noticing a serious lack of accuracy. It's amoung the most powerful guns we have, and works excelent as a shot gun but I'm thinking my 28" barrel might be a bit to long. any input?
What the hell does the internet need a horse for? I think Wintermute must be crazy

#2 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 06:09 PM

What type of barrel is it?
ko

#3 Nello

Nello

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 06:54 PM

Its a pvc barrel. Personally I think it is too long, but it's not my gun.
"The older you get the more and more like yourself you become." D. Krell

#4 Ginjiroku

Ginjiroku

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 08:19 PM

yea, it's way to long. once the dart or whatever gets far enough down the barrel the pressure behind it gets too low and the barrel just slows it down if it does anything.

Edited by Ginjiroku, 20 December 2003 - 09:27 PM.

#5 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 11:43 PM

Well how many PSI is it operating at? If you've got an accuracy problem I would say the barrel is too short. A barrel that's too long would just reduce the range, not hinder the accuracy. Since the thing is probably combersome enough, an alternative to making the barrel longer would be to drill some holes in a ring near the end of the barrel. This will prevent any air that is still coming out of the barrel from blowing against the back of the dart when it leaves the barrel, causing it to fly crooked. If you have a dremel, you may even try widening the barrel at the end, but use the finest bit you have (I mean fine like fine grit sandpaper fine, not good quality fine.) and using a polishing bit afterward wouldn't be too bad of an idea either. Barrel friction = not good.

Edited by Langley, 20 December 2003 - 11:45 PM.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#6 Ginjiroku

Ginjiroku

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 December 2003 - 12:06 AM

yea porting would help. and a good length also depends on how much psi is behind the dart. i am guessing about 100-125psi so i would say about 6 - 8 maybe 9in of effective(non ported) barrel than 3-5in of porting. and spiral porting may make the dart spin I'm not sure.

Edited by Ginjiroku, 21 December 2003 - 12:08 AM.

#7 rawray7

rawray7

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 21 December 2003 - 02:13 AM

yea porting would help. and a good length also depends on how much psi is behind the dart. i am guessing about 100-125psi so i would say about 6 - 8 maybe 9in of effective(non ported) barrel than 3-5in of porting. and spiral porting may make the dart spin I'm not sure.

porting really just isn't practical for anything shooting darts, whether they be stefans or factory darts. porting in a spiral to try to improve accuracy is even less practical in nerf. if you're having accuracy problems with a 28" barrel i'm going to bet your problem is one of two things: 1) your darts suck, spend more time on making them if they're stefans. if you're using factory darts and they're inaccurate, start making good stefans. 2) you're gun sounds pretty powerful, and you probably aren't putting enough weight into your stefans to keep them flying straight. i'd recommend making them a little bit longer, and using 2 or 3 weights instead of 1.

there's really no need for a 28" barrel, ever, so i'd start by shortening it at least 8 inches. second, if you've done the two suggestions above, and the darts still are innacurate, i would do one of two other things: 1) add a very tight brass section to the beggining of your barrel. 2) lower the output of air to the dart. either lower the PSI or shorten the interval the valve is open for, the prior being a little bit easier, since you've got a ball valve. maybe switch to a solenoid.
You, nerfboi, are the suckest gun. -neonerfer

#8 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 21 December 2003 - 02:39 AM

There is no such thing as an accurate ball valve gun.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#9 Jappo

Jappo

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 04:25 AM

It operates between 40-120PSI.
"When life gives you lemons, you squish those lemons into the eyes of your enemies." - Jappo

#10 Lord Dis

Lord Dis

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 01:42 PM

It Operates at about 40-50 psi because that's where i get the most accuracy, with darts, and when just destroying things with it i put batteries and stuff in in it and put it up to 200+ psi, but that much power with a dart just sends them all over the place. My most common use for it is loading 10-15 darts at 50-60 psi and using it like a shotgun, it never fails ;)
What the hell does the internet need a horse for? I think Wintermute must be crazy

#11 Jappo

Jappo

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 03:11 PM

We hardly ever get it up too 200 PSI, mainly we get lazy from pumping it at about 160.
"When life gives you lemons, you squish those lemons into the eyes of your enemies." - Jappo

#12 Ginjiroku

Ginjiroku

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 09:28 PM

by porting I mean a tiny bit not half the barrel. and I didn't really mean sprial.

#13 rawray7

rawray7

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 06:35 PM

I didn't really mean sprial.

...and spiral porting may make the dart spin I'm not sure.

you are correct, you didn't really mean sprial. you meant spiral.

6 - 8 maybe 9in of effective(non ported) barrel than 3-5in of porting

by porting I mean a tiny bit not half the barrel

correct again! and by a tiny bit you meant 1/3 porting (3 port, 6 reg) or 5/13 porting(5 port, 8 reg) what was the point of your last post again?

either way, sprial or spiral; 1/3, half or 5/13; porting just isn't practical in the realm of nerf.

Edited by rawray7, 23 December 2003 - 06:43 PM.

You, nerfboi, are the suckest gun. -neonerfer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users