A pile of new (and not so new) mods to try on your LS

31 replies to this topic

#1 Ta10n

Ta10n

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 10:57 AM

Foreword

This Longshot mod is a compilation of successful experiments to make the Longshot into a more “tactical” Nerf weapon. These mods are very simple to perform with limited power tools (electric drill and Dremel) and a few hand tools (hacksaw, clamps, sandpaper, etc.) For those of you who have done Dart Attack's front gun integration mod (or any other integration mod in this space), you may find a few interesting things to try out, or use as a basis for your own custom mods. I hope it's helpful, interesting, flame-worthy or something......

(Note, I take no responsibility for you screwing up your LS by performing these mods. But really, there's almost no way you could screw these mods up)

Pictures!

Posted Image

So, as you can see the base mod for this LS was Dart Attack's famous integration mod (http://nerfhaven.com...topic=7232&st=0). After that I added adaptations of a couple other mods, namely the tactical light inspired by Kevinericon's LS (http://nerfhaven.com...08&hl=Starfleet) and the silencer inspired by Zero's design found here: http://nerfhaven.com.../zero_silencer/. Other than that I added a new trigger for the front gun, a new custom ambidextrous charging handle, a four-position collapsible stock mod, a threaded mount/decorative flash suppressor to attach the silencer, a custom sighting system with iron sights and a seven power scope, plus a means of clamping two magazines side-by-side. That was a mouthful, on to the specifics.

Front gun integration and new trigger

Posted Image

For those of you who don't know the integration mod is a fairly easy and really cool looking mod to do to your LS. First you'll want to disassemble the gun, remove the bipod legs and the piece that keeps the barrel closed off as you charge the LS (the very end of this piece is in the "strike zone"). Next (with the LS in two halves) grab your nearest hacksaw and lob off the bipod area. Clean the area up with 60-grit, then 150-grit sandpaper, or the sanding wheel on your rotary tool if you like. Next trim the front gun to fit (again removing any important things you may cut through first) and with the front gun in two halves glue each halve to it's respective longshot halve. For glue I used superglue followed by a bit of hot glue to give it more strength. Now, my integration didn't end up being the cleanest or best looking (if you want clean and good looking check out Kevinericon's LS), but I'm satisfied as this is my first major nerf mod :)

Posted Image

Next up is the new trigger. If you look closely at this picture you will notice that it's made out of two 3mm thick pieces of clear Plexiglas, which have been sanded and painted. You will also notice that I made a Plexiglas plate to cover this large hole where the front gun handle used to be. That little white piece in the picture is the toggle switch for the tactical light. The origin of this new trigger came from about six hours fiddling with fishing line trying to hook the front gun trigger and the main LS trigger together. Eventually I just said "screw it, I'm making a new trigger" so I did. Luckily the new trigger required no modification of the LS shell itself, since the 6mm thick new trigger fits through the slot that the old trigger used to fit through. To make this trigger I simply cut two pieces of plexi to shape, glued them together, sanded them and added little plexi tabs and made slots in the plexi with the hacksaw so that the trigger would ride straight on the rails already built into the shell. Finally I glued the trigger to the front gun mechanism and added some Motomaster Silicone Lube so it slides nice and smooth. In fact I would go so far as to say that the new trigger is smoother to operate than the old LS front gun trigger

Posted Image

In case you were wondering, that's how far the trigger slides back to fire the gun.

Four position stock

This mod was so easy and I was surprised no one had attempted it before. Simply drill and sand two new holes in the LS shell (removing all internal components in this area first), if you place them correctly (like I did) you'll barely touch the interior "walls" of the gun when you drill through. Precision is key here, if the holes aren't lined up properly the locking pin in the stock won't properly engage the hole, meaning that the stock won't lock into place. Here are some shots of the new stock in action (all photos were taken with the stock "locked")

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

New charging handle

Posted Image

I had doubts about this one at first, but once attached to the gun the new charging handle has proved to be just as solid as the silly looking orange handles. To make it simply cut four pieces of plexi to the desired shape and size. Take two of the pieces and create a long slot the same size as the lip on the jam door in them. Do this by drilling out the two ends and connecting them using a dremel cut off wheel. Then glue the four pieces together (with the two notched pieces at the bottom), shape, sand, and superglue the piece to the jam door. To allow the charging handle to move the bolt FORWARD place a big dab of hot glue on the top of the forward bolt sled (the piece with the metal rod through it) as you're reassembling the gun. You may be surprised to find that this works very well, and the bond between the jam door and bolt sled is very solid.

Here is the new handle with the bolt locked to the rear:

Posted Image

And with the bolt closed in the forward position:

Posted Image

ATSS-N (Advanced Tactical Sighting System - Nerf)

Posted Image

I'm sure some of you are thinking "Ta10n you dumbass, it's pointless to put a scope on a Nerf gun." I would tend to agree, but I would never use the scope for the purpose of aiming. It's more of a novelty thing in this case. I figure you could use the scope in a war to do some basic visual recon. For example your teammate says "I think I saw something in the bushes on the other end of the field." Now you can respond, "yeah that's CaptainSlug in the bushes with a +Bow." So no I'm not a loser who likes to loser people with all his loser friends. Or something like that, if I understand the text filter correctly :) Anyway I included iron sights on the top of the unit for the purpose of accurate aiming. The height of the iron sights is perfect, so you can go from scope to iron with a simple tilt of the head. The whole unit is constructed from Plexiglas, making it (I think) the first entirely custom accessory for the LS rail (this unit will ONLY fit the LS rail). I finished it off with several coats of Krylon Fusion White and Krylon Clear Coat. The Mead Golf Scope is secured via friction using foam glued to the sight and foam glued to the scope itself. Meaning that it would be easy to swap in a new scope at a later date. More pictures for all you curious people.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

End Part 1

And the picture of the reticle in the Golf Scope. The cool thing is if you can find an object that is approximately eight feet high (the standard golf flag height as I recall) you can use the reticle to find your approximate distance from said object. Pretty neat

Posted Image

Tactical Light[size=4]

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This tactical light setup was inspired, as I said before, by Kevinericon's LS. But instead of placing the light where the front gun barrel was, I placed mine in the indentation below it. I pulled the LS apart and sanded the circular indent with my Dremel so it became a hole. Then I grabbed the front piece off a crappy little flashlight and the LED and batteries from this Dorcy flashlight/Carabiner/keyring/thing and enlisted the help of a friend who knew his way around a soldering iron. So he wired everything together, using the BIOS battery holder off an old motherboard to allow the batteries to be changed and putting an old PC on/off switch (AT I believe) in the circuit for obvious reasons. Then after reinforcing the solder joints with hot glue I hot glued the LED to the flashlight front piece, then hotglued the whole assembly into place. Here's what it looks like on the inside:

Posted Image

While reassembling the gun I had problems with the front gun staying cocked. That's what the aptly named "Anti Trigger Catch Slip Plate" is for. It's simply a piece of plexi with a slightly ramped end that keeps the plunger catch from pushing the plunger up and not catching it. Moving on to the magazine clamps

Magazine Clamps[size=4]

Posted Image

These parts were a little more complicated to fabricate, but not too complicated. Basically the system consists of a pair of plexi clamps with a wood spacer in between. The plexi clamps are bolted together front and back, putting pressure on the joint beween the wood and the mags, thereby holding the whole mess together with friction. I cut the plexi with a hacksaw and dremel, sanded with 150 and 400 grit sand paper, used a heatgun to bend it, and used nuts and machine screws to bolt it together. I cut the wood block with a hacksaw and shaped the indents (so the magazines would fit tightly) using the sanding drum on the dremel.

Threaded mount/flash hider[size=4]

Posted Image

This ones pretty self explanatory

Silencer[size=4]

Posted Image

I followed Zero's design on this one, substituting 1/2" PVC for the 3/4" PVC, using PVC for the sheath, filling the space between with soft foam, porting the barrel in a line, not a spiral and adding a threaded coupler on the end. Then I painted using, once again, Krylon Fusion white and Krylon clear coat.

Posted Image

Padded cheek rest and carry handle[size=4]

Posted Image

The easiest mod of them all. Simply hot glue soft foam on the top of the stock and under the carry handle/scope rail. Not only does this really make the gun more comfortable, but it also adds some visual interest and covers up inconsistencies in my paint job :)

The paint job[size=4]

I painted the gun itself with Krylon Fusion Nickel Metallic paint, painting over the "bolts" with light Ghost Gray. I really can't recommend the Krylon Metallic paint enough. While the white Krylon Fusion looks meh, and wears off (even with clear coat) on my modded Maverick, this stuff (5-6 coats of paint, 5-6 coats of clear) not only looks great, but feels smooth and durable (assuming you use enough clear) and the nickel is not at all susceptible to "yellowing" by using a thick layer of clear. In fact I recommend going big on the clear, with enough of it the paint job actually feels like a factory finish. Very nice.

Performance[size=4]

While I haven't yet done any range performance mods (other than remove the AR in the front gun, resulting in a range of about 30 feet) I can assess the performance of these other mods.

Front gun trigger:
-Allows the front gun to be fired independently from the main LS
-Can be fired both by sliding the hand back holding the gun like a rifle, or fired with a finger pull while using the magazine as a vertical grip
-Smoother operation than the stock trigger

Tactical Light:
-Major cool factor
-May be useful for a night war, or distracting a short range opponent
-Doesn't put out THAT much light

Mag Clamps:
-Allows for a nearly sub-second reload time
-Doesn't add any extra height to the gun (allowing you to go prone)
-Allows easy reloading loading of one magazine while the other is ready to fire

Charging Handle:
-The forward location allows the weapon to be charged and ready to fire faster than the stock handles
-Smaller size means it's less likely to snag on clothing
-Looks cooler than the stock handles
-Tight tolerance with clamped mags means you may need to adjust the way you pull the handle depending on which magazine is inserted

Threaded mount/silencer:
-Looks mean
-Doesn't help with noise output, may harm accuracy (depending on darts used)

Four position stock:
-Two more positions of adjustment
-Position three (second longest) is great when used with ATSS-N
-Doesn't affect structural integrity

ATSS-N:
-Scope + iron sight combo
-Looks cool
-Only fits LS
-Takes a bloody long time to make
-Possible range finding capability
-Rear sight blades have a tendency to snap off (working on fixing that)

Padded Cheek Rest/Carry Handle:
-Makes the gun more comfortable when carrying or looking down the sight
-Covers up botched areas of the paint job
-Actually looks pretty cool

A few more pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And thats about it, until next time. Thanks to CaptainSlug and VACC for accelerating the validation process so I could get this posted, cheers guys!

Nerf on!

-Ta10n

Primary: LS Tactical (http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=12500)
Secondary: Clipped Maverick

Future Projects:

Doing something with my gutted SM5K

#2 NerfCrazy

NerfCrazy

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 11:03 AM

Nice compilation of mods and nice first post. Welcome to the haven.

#3 joeyaglr444

joeyaglr444

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 11:06 AM

That is Sexy. Good job man! expecially on that New trigger design for the foreweapon. I may use that charging handle idea! Im currently working on something down your alley. It is really good!

There is hope for the new Members, I like where this site is going!

Oh and Welcome to The Haven!
Boys Become Men....Men Become Wolves

Blaffair to Rememblack.

#4 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 11:11 AM

Looks good man. Such a pretty and cool gun it's ashame that it's really not very useful. I was saying yesterday though that there could be some use for them. With the high rate of fire you could fit it with a sling and carry it on your back. If you have a small primary like the spy gear gun (which is amazing btw), you could maybe use the long shot as a side arm and hold people back. Guns with high rates of fire never really have good range, which is good because it keeps the balance. That's what I hate about the multi barrel shot guns out there. Yeah, they're amazing, but if everyone had one that worked awesome, it would really change the game and probably not for the better. The Long shot though is very balanced. Not good ranges, but high rates of fire and fast reload time. You would have to practice with it a bit, but if someone got the use down, they could really rattle some skulls on the field.

But yeah, gun looks cool.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#5 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 11:24 AM

This is the coolest longshot I've ever seen next to the Lancer.

I really like your scope, and take on the front gun. Can you take a closer picture of the internals?
Timothy M-Lick <3

#6 Foam Total War

Foam Total War

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 11:28 AM

First of all, I have to say that looks amazing. The Longshot is a great multipurpose blaster and you managed to make it even more so. My favorite part is definitely the dual mag. I absolutely love that you can reload one clip while using the other; that's always been a problem for me. Now it's time to see if I can put my classic "primitive marerials and tools" spin on it....
Grievous-Juggernaut - Nerf, Flash, Stargate and generally random stuff!
Foam-Universe

#7 Ta10n

Ta10n

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 12:22 PM

-Nerf Crazy

Thanks man! I appreciate it!

-joeyaglr444

I'd love to see someone else's take on the charging handle design. I think someone with more engineering skills than me needs to try it G36 or FAMAS style. Or steampunk it up. Any one of those would work

-Talio

Yeah I agree. The only thing this thing's good for right now is CQC (relatively speaking). But with an AR removal, spring addition, or maybe an Angel breech who knows? Could turn into an excellent all round weapon with the power to reach out and touch someone. THAT would truly be awesome. Oh and thanks for the compliment :)

-Keef

Yeah it's kind of hard to make something more awesome than a gun with a chainsaw on the front :) I'm glad you like the scope, I was initially worried that I'd be the only one who could appreciate it (as I probably put 10+ hours of work into it). As far as the pics go here's some of the forward half, I haven't modified the main LS internals at all.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

-Foam: Total War

Glad you like the dual mag! If you want to go really primitive I suggest spacing the mags with tape, followed closely by wrapping the whole mess with more tape. That might have a cool "modified in the field" look to it

Future Projects:

#8 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 01:00 PM

Coolest Longshot ever. That must have taken you a while to build. Everything is so clean too. It really looks like you new what you were doing.

Welcome to NH!
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#9 AJZ

AJZ

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 03:54 PM

I also say that that is one of the most stylish Longshots on the haven since I've been browsing. Great use of the double clip...I have one also.

Cheers

Edited by AJ.Z, 03 August 2008 - 03:56 PM.

#10 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 05:01 PM

Excellent Long Shot. I like how you redid the trigger on the front gun. I love this LS. This is my second favorite LS
( Lancer takes first place).

< One foot in death...The other in life. >

#11 bartel

bartel

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 05:04 PM

Sweet! I wish my longshot was that cool. As for the problem with the...

-Tight tolerance with clamped mags means you may need to adjust the way you pull the handle depending on which magazine is inserted

if it's a big problem, try flipping one of the magazines around. If flip the left one around, the extra magazine will always be on the left side and if you flip the right one around, it will always be on the left side. That will add some time to the reload though.
"I say anyone who knows how to mod a Nerf gun is a badass" -Leaf-o, www.angryaardvark.netfreehost.com

#12 Knud-Hansen

Knud-Hansen

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 05:13 PM

very clean and professional looking, props dude. I especially liked the double magazine system, I may try that for myself
[size=4][i]-Knud-

#13 hornet

hornet

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 05:14 PM

Awesome man! The funny thing is I was just thinking of doing that charging handle.
Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

#14 Brunta

Brunta

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 07:28 PM

Very nice! I wish I could have another shot at modding a longshot after I messed up my last one. If I get another longshot I will definitely be looking at yours for inspiration. It looks great. Keep up the awesome work!

#15 Vishamon

Vishamon

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 08:19 PM

Nice work!
Do you have problems with the stock collapsing while you are trying to nerf? I know that this has been a problem for others, and was wondering if your stock mod included something to prevent it.
QUOTE(VACC @ Dec 8 2009, 08:40 AM) View Post

I think everyone who reads or contributes to this site needs to take a big stap back and reallize we're discussing nerf guns. The fate of absolutely NOTHING important depends on what you, me, or anyone else does

#16 KingCosmo7

KingCosmo7

• Banned
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 10:11 PM

[/quote]
that gun is CRAZY! if you brassed it, it might be like the best gun in the freakin world!!! well nerf gun anyways.
"His chops are too righteous! The helmets can't handle this level of rock n' roll!"

#17 Ta10n

Ta10n

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:09 AM

-Vishamon

Believe it or not I have NEVER had the LS stock collapse on my hand. Although I had a friend over once who managed to collapse the stock on his hand the first time he charged the gun. I guess most people hold the gun differently than I do, or maybe some people trust the integrity of the stock too much. Whatever it is this mod will not prevent the stock from collapsing on your hands, but if I end up doing more work on this gun (you never know) I might look into fixing that problem.

-KingCosmo7

The only way I could make this the best gun in the world is if I could integrate all the awesome features of FA24's Lancer into this gun. So, spring addition (I think), Angel breech, internal lighting, and some sort of chainsaw "bayonet".

Future Projects:

#18 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:01 AM

What's CQC? I also forgot to add that if you're playing unmodded, long shots are amazing. I almost bought a house a few months back and the place I was looking at had a really big basement. I wanted to turn the whole thing into one big nerf arena and have a gun rack with like 20 unmodded longshots in it. I may still do it someday, but that gun, plus a few titans (or other missle launcher), Mav's, Nitefinders and especially vulcans for base protection, you're talking an Effeminate basement war.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#19 Ta10n

Ta10n

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:22 AM

-Talio

CQC stands for Close Quarter Combat. I'd call it anything inside of 30 feet if we're talking Nerf.

A Nerf arena in a basement? That is quite possibly the most awesome idea I've heard all day. You could make all kinds of cool bunkers and walls out of wood or cardboard (assuming the basement was THAT big). Make the structures light enough to be carried by maybe 3 guys and you would have the ultimate reconfigurable battlefield. If you just had a side room with these various structures (each team could have it's own storage room) and gave each team a few minutes before the match to "build a base" (with some basic rules) you would have quite possibly the most awesome team-based Nerf battlefield ever. If you decided to play free for all players could each place a structure or vote on a pre-determined layout before the match. You could also do a point-based attack/defend game where each gun has a set point value (say 75 points for an LS, 200 for a Vulcan, etc.) and so does each building (say a bunker type building is 200). So you end up with the defending team deciding between cover and firepower, and the attacking team basically deciding how the battle will be fought. The attacking team would leave the room for a few minutes to let the defending team set up. Imagine that if you will. The attacking team comes through the door of the room only to find no one in sight and this huge intimidating base on the other end of the room. They move into the base to check it out, only to be ambushed by a group of 10 guys wielding foam swords and pool noodles (Melee weapons cost no points). I think the sheer hilarity of a game like that would warrant the cost of any required equipment.

Now we just need to find a sucker with a huge basement :D

Future Projects:

#20 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 06:30 PM

Thats some nice you work you have done there.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#21 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 08:44 PM

While reassembling the gun I had problems with the front gun staying cocked. That's what the aptly named "Anti Trigger Catch Slip Plate" is for. It's simply a piece of plexi with a slightly ramped end that keeps the plunger catch from pushing the plunger up and not catching it.

It's interesting that I'm not the only one who had that problem. I literally did the exact same thing to mine, except in addition to adding the piece above the plunger, I had to rebuild the trigger mech because of a stronger spring I used (for some reason the trigger wasn't fully engaging the catch, so the problem changed from not staying cocked to not firing after it was cocked...). After I finally got it working though, it gets ranges only slightly lower than the Longshot.

Great mods! The double clip is cool, and I like the trigger you added to the front gun (although I still prefer having them both fire off the same trigger) Keep up the good work! :P

Probably dead by now, or something.

#22 AJZ

AJZ

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 10:48 PM

After I look at it again, I love some of the cool little mods that I really haven't seen before. I will have to steal a couple and try them out for myself :) Thanks for you good work!

Alec

#23 anon-dude

anon-dude

• Banned
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:57 AM

:lol: I love it! Were did you get all the ideas.

Also you should paint some other colors on their to add some variety.
"Its not illegal...just extremely erotic like masturbating on an airplane" - The Hangover...FTW

A.K.A. NarcolepticPenguin on NR

Zmandudesk82: "@Qwear: Nice name. I'm glad to see the NIC being open to people who are... different."

#24 Ta10n

Ta10n

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:43 AM

:lol: I love it! Were did you get all the ideas.

Also you should paint some other colors on their to add some variety.

I got the ideas from a combination of creative thought, and an unhealthy obsession with all things mechanical ( and by extension firearms).

There's no way I'd bother painting it with more colours. A. I'd have to sand somewhere beween 5 and 6 layers of clear coat off. B. It already looks slick in nickel and gray. And C. If I went with more colours I'd probably screw it up somehow, then I'd have to sand off all the paint and start over.

To everyone thanks for the complements (especially FA24). I've added a view more little things to this baby, so I may end up posting an update sometime soon.

-Ta10n

Future Projects:

#25 SawedOff

SawedOff

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:14 PM

Awesome, You should've intergreted a Ball launcher for a Grenade Launcher. The LS is so much like an M16, you should call it the SOPMOD M4
Same thing here. Its the ugly short one right? Well you have to pump it like VIGOROUSLY! Like, force it in! I almost returned it, but it will get easier and easier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users