Photo

Longshot Vs X-bow

30 replies to this topic

Poll: Longshot vs. X-bow (131 member(s) have cast votes)

Which gun is a more prverable primary

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:11 PM

This is my first real post
I just wanted the opinion of everyone
Which would make a better primary in your opinion
QUOTE(Zaxbys @ Mar 2 2009, 02:08 PM) View Post
I won't be there til about 1-2...

Church... gotta soak up that Jesus!

NERFSTRONG #51

#2 CAPS

CAPS

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:24 PM

EDIT: Sorry I should be nicer.

IceSpartan, the problem with this poll is that you've chosen a classic nerf gun that can be one of the best primaries any nerfer can ask for, and a nerf gun that is complicated and not as favorable as the X-Bow. So basically you made a poll where the answer to everybodies opinion is obvious.

Welcome to NH.

Edited by CAPS, 01 August 2008 - 12:33 PM.

It's a link to google......you idiots are worse than the spammers.
-Vacc

#3 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:26 PM

I know that a x-bow is very rare and that many people like them
But i wanted other peoples opinion on it
It just depends on the person and what there style is

NERFSTRONG #51

#4 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:32 PM

...I may be one of very few people who says this...

but...

I say Neither.

I've had, modded, and played with both at various wars over the years... and they just ain't my bag (pun intended).

you have to find your own play style before you can call what makes the best primary for you. sure... X bows have power... and a good LS gets decent range with ROF... but I'll say it again... The Blaster does not make the Nerfer... The Nerfer makes the blaster (both literally and figuratively).

-Bags

Don't call it a comeback, I never left.

#5 laxtk88

laxtk88

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:33 PM

I have never heard of anyone takeing a longshot over an Xbow. Ever.
QUOTE(Sleebo @ Jun 12 2008, 07:23 PM) View Post

Just for the record, my mother is the most beautiful women in the world.

#6 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:35 PM

You don't own either one of these, do you. Okay, listen up.
Pros and Cons of a Longshot.
Pro: Easy to find.
Pro: A hell of a lot cheaper than a crossbow.
Con: A bitch to modify well
Con: It's not a crossbow.
Con: It breaks quite easily.

Pros and Cons of xbow:
Pro: Gets great ranges and it very reliable for a piece of plastic.
Pro: It's easy to fix if it breaks.
Pro: It is VERY comfortable.
Con: Hard to come by, and expensive.

So, in most respects, the X-bow is "better." But in reality, it's all about how good of a nerfer you are, and what weapon suits you. So really, you decide.
But you should'nt post topics like these. It's been talked over to death.
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#7 Commander Cody

Commander Cody

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:36 PM

1. its "preferable" not prverable or whatever
2. Xbows are by far better than a LS, they are far simpler to mod and generally get better ranges
"An open mind is like a fortress, with its gates un-barred and un-guarded" -Space Marine Librarian

#8 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:40 PM

Ok, i have to say i didn't mean to start a controversy
Thank you for your reply and comments on my post, and i will keep them in mind if i do post again
Its just that i asked ts question because i have owned a few longshots and they lasted me a while (i traded one and one broke after about a few months), i have heard of how good crossbows are but i have never owned one
It all matters on the nerfer wants/need in a gun, while keeping it with his/her style (at least that what i think)
Thank you again for the replys

O and Bomberman thanks for the advice

Edited by Icespartan_1114, 01 August 2008 - 06:42 PM.

NERFSTRONG #51

#9 Oni Kadaki

Oni Kadaki

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:55 PM

I've owned both, and stock, I would take a longshot any day.

That said, though i've seen people do incredible things on these forums with both guns, everyone else has voted crossbow, and i'm not about to cast a dissenting vote against people who are far more experienced than me with modified guns. Further, if I recall correctly, slug built his +bow as an alternative to the crossbow, which, considering the things i've read about the +bow, says alot.

In conclusion:

Stock: Longshot

Modified: Crossbow

#10 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 01:03 PM

EDIT: Sorry I should be nicer.

IceSpartan, the problem with this poll is that you've chosen a classic nerf gun that can be one of the best primaries any nerfer can ask for, and a nerf gun that is complicated and not as favorable as the X-Bow. So basically you made a poll where the answer to everybodies opinion is obvious.

Welcome to NH.

Ok thanks for being understanding and i know that many nerfers would chose a x-bow any day but you have to still think about the nerfer not the gun its self, because some people might like to have a long ranged weapon as there primary like a LS or x-bow or they might want to have something like a rapid fire gun that gets an ok range but a great rof, so is all about your opinion
O and thanks for welcoming me to the haven

-icespartan_1114

Edited by Icespartan_1114, 01 August 2008 - 01:04 PM.

NERFSTRONG #51

#11 Mr Tubb

Mr Tubb

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 02:26 PM

The only reason I chose the LS was because, like many others, I've never shot a X-bow. And this is yet another 'best gun topic.'
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side."
-Han Solo; Star Wars: A New Hope (IV)

#12 Rogue Warrior

Rogue Warrior

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 02:41 PM

Actually I chose the LS. Why? Because it has 6 shots of rock N' roll that can go 90+' downrange with proper modification. Everybody thinks the crossbow is better because it can shoot 100+', just remeber though, you won't always take 100' shots. In my experience 80' of accurate range is all you need then trow that in with LS' ROF and you have a beast.
My GT is Spacecowboy9951

#13 Gears

Gears

The boy who lived

• Members
  • 848 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 02:58 PM

Just because your (and i mean anyone who owns one) XBow can fire into the upper 90's, low 100's, does not mean you will be capable of hitting a human at such a distance. It's all about effective range. Having never seen a Xbow in person, I can't vouch for anyone's marksmanship, however, I would never bothered trying to take a shot at someone over 60, maybe 65 feet with my +Bow.

That said, it's all about play style. If you can dodge a dart, and rush a man with either a 6/12 shot LS clip, go for it. The LS is cheaper, readily available, and has many promising mods. The XBow...looks damn sexy.

Edited by Gears, 01 August 2008 - 02:59 PM.

WoW is destroying my life.

-Groove out.

LAWN GNOME LIBERATION FRONT

#14 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 03:27 PM

Frankly, I would take a Longshot with a proper Angel breech over a X-bow anyday. Fast reload and 80-90ish feet I wouldn't thumb my nose at. I played a round with one of OMC's XBows, and I didn't see what was so special about it...

Edited by Galaxy613, 01 August 2008 - 03:28 PM.

[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#15 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 03:40 PM

You guys act like people who use the crossbow only use it for the range. If I was only going for range I would use an air gun or an ultimator. I love crossbows for their reliability, relatively quick to reload with a double barrel, easy to modify, comfortable, and are great for integrations.

I like the longshot but it always seems to piss me off. In wars I got tired of reloading clips or carrying around 7 extra clips. And mine always seem to break at wars.
Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#16 Rogue Warrior

Rogue Warrior

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 03:44 PM

Ever used a singled longshot?
My GT is Spacecowboy9951

#17 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 03:50 PM

Nope i have never used a single longshot

NERFSTRONG #51

#18 shoeshine5

shoeshine5

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 04:00 PM

It really depends on how much work and money you are willing to put into the hobby.

Power doesn't just matter in terms of distance, its about the speed the dart will reach its target from a shorter distance. The faster the dart moves, the harder it is to dodge.

The crossbow is more reliable, has a simpler mod, and has slightly more power. They are also ridiculously expensive to obtain.

Longshots are readily available on the cheap, and can be modified for great range. The rate of fire is better but it is more likely to break/jam. To get good range you need to add additional springs that can be harder for some people to use.

Indoors I would take a properly modified longshot, outdoors a crossbow. Its just a matter of your situation and style.
While you are busy reading this, I am eating your sandwich.

#19 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:02 PM

do you like movies about gladiators?

ever been in a cockpit before?

ever seen a grown man naked?

have you ever been to a Turkish prison?

... I know it's off topic ... I just couldn't help it.

http://www.imdb.com/...t0080339/quotes

Hahaha......... ok then

NERFSTRONG #51

#20 Philote

Philote

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 04:05 PM

do you like movies about gladiators?

ever been in a cockpit before?

ever seen a grown man naked?

have you ever been to a Turkish prison?

... I know it's off topic ... I just couldn't help it.

http://www.imdb.com/...t0080339/quotes

Hahaha......... ok then

If a moderator hears about this, the shits gonna hit the fan.
EPH!
What do I wnat for my birthday? The usual, money, a Xbox Game, and a throng of bearded men. You know, the usual stuff.

#21 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 09:20 PM

As has been stated, neither can be truthfully stated to be "better" than the other. The crossbow has a modest advantage of range, highly-praised ergonomics, and (nebulously) superior reliability. The longshot has a significantly better rate of fire. Which gun these differences favors depends entirely on the context and the individual Nerfer. I chose not to list ease of modification because it's not an actual factor in a war, but it is important to note that the lists of advantages do depend on the ability of the modder to capitalize upon them.

Personally, I favor the longshot. I have no fear of complex internals and I am confident in the reliability of my work, so it basically comes down to range versus rate of fire. For me, the longshot's rate of fire places it ahead. When I need longer range, I pack a BBBB.

#22 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 10:26 PM

A good primary has to be durable, consistent, and dependable. Only the simplest designs will lend themselves to meeting those requirements.
And rate-of fire means nothing if your shots are not hitting the intended target.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 02 August 2008 - 10:28 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#23 mintee

mintee

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 03:56 AM

I think that the better of the two is the Longshot because of personal preference.

I don't like singled guns. I don't like expensive guns. I don't like old-school guns.

The Longshot scrapyard my friends have is another factor, which pretty much means I can replace any part which breaks, many times over. I can't say the same for an x-bow which might be costly or timely (or both) to fix.

#24 littlemikey

littlemikey

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 04:45 AM

In my opinion, the Longshot makes you feel cooler B)

#25 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 09:01 AM

A good primary has to be durable, consistent, and dependable. Only the simplest designs will lend themselves to meeting those requirements.
And rate-of fire means nothing if your shots are not hitting the intended target.

So what your saying is that you feel you don't need a good rate of fire if your gun can hit your target with one shot
So i am also guessing that you would pic the bow.(?)

NERFSTRONG #51

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users