Photo

Legality Of Nerf Gun Modding

33 replies to this topic

#1 needak

needak

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:58 AM

Me and my brother had an argument about whether nerf gun mods are legal, I decided to ask the experts.
Why the fuck would you put a bullet in someones head when you can just pump the bastard full of stefans until he's got so many welts and goose-eggs he looks like blueberry with pimples?

#2 Llama Boy

Llama Boy

• Banned
  • 208 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:03 PM

Of course its legal! As long as you dont stick a needle in the dart and shoot someone in the neck. And dont go around and shoot cops for fun or something, but of course its 100% legal. I asked a cop back in January if it was and he said yes.

Edited by Llama Boy, 30 July 2008 - 12:03 PM.

Truce.

#3 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:09 PM

Once you own the nerf gun you can alter it in any way you like. The warranty is technically void, but there is nothing ilegal about it.

#4 g-force

g-force

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:29 PM

The warning on the gun is just so some 5 year old or some really stupid person trys to modify a nerf gun and then it explodes.
QUOTE(Carbon @ Jul 28 2008, 03:25 AM) View Post

My god, you actually built it. To that, all I can say is, "bravo".

Chubbs

#5 PC III

PC III

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:31 PM

The warning on the gun is just so some 5 year old or some really stupid person trys to modify a nerf gun and then it explodes.

No, its so they cant get sued for an injury from modified gun.
QUOTE(ultra920 @ May 19 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Don't want to shove balls in tight spaces. Trust me, bad idea.

For sale: Vintage WWII French rifles. Dropped once, never fired.

#6 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:43 PM

It's legal. The warnings printed on the side of every gun are just disclaimers so people cannot sue from injury by a modded gun, because they can't say hasbro didn't warn them. There is not law against it.
I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

#7 King Of Butt Land

King Of Butt Land

• Banned
  • 324 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:45 PM

The last couple posts are blatantly wrong. If the police discover you own any modified toy weapon they'll bust down on you like its Cuban coke.
QUOTE(Puppy-§layer @ Dec 18 2008, 04:22 AM) View Post

This contest may have some flaws, as people can simply be a deuschbag over the internet. By Lying.

A war-like setting/invitational would be better...

#8 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:48 PM

Check your local laws. Some states do make modifying past a certain point illegal. Also you are required by federal law to have the orange tip.
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#9 needak

needak

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:49 PM

I'd like to see your source for that info, King of butt land.
I'd also like to know how to find my local laws on nerf gun modification, I live in Albuquerque NM.

Edited by needak, 30 July 2008 - 01:02 PM.

Why the fuck would you put a bullet in someones head when you can just pump the bastard full of stefans until he's got so many welts and goose-eggs he looks like blueberry with pimples?

#10 mintee

mintee

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:51 PM

The last couple posts are blatantly wrong. If the police discover you own any modified toy weapon they'll bust down on you like its Cuban coke.

There's a RCMP Sting operation I've heard wind of that's tracking down modification hotspots all around Canada... after they saw the Lancer, I'd imagine they're going after Angel first. (Watch out they might be lurking this forum too...) :lol:

#11 King Of Butt Land

King Of Butt Land

• Banned
  • 324 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:54 PM

I'd like to see your source for that info, King of butt land.

I'm 12.

+1 if you get the reference.

This contest may have some flaws, as people can simply be a deuschbag over the internet. By Lying.

#12 needak

needak

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:04 PM

I don't want to hear that your source is what your dad told you, he might not know squat and just thinks that. I want to hear HIS source

#13 tatertotguy

tatertotguy

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:08 PM

The local laws in my town say that you can't discharge any weapon that launches projectiles. I shoot potato guns at my neighbors garage and the police didn't come so I think it is safe to mod nerf guns.
"So thats when she says, 'No that's my belly button'."

#14 Rogue Warrior

Rogue Warrior

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:13 PM

Do you seriously think that hasbro is going to send cops armed to the teeth to kick down your door and take away your $30 toy? No, infact some hasbro engineers showed up to hershfest.
My GT is Spacecowboy9951

#15 dart

dart

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:17 PM

Well, first i would like to say for all wars that we have of 100 to 30 people with almost all modded guns I would say since the cops havent shown up to arrest anyone over the guns i'd say were safe. Second thing is I do believe cops can arrest after a certain point, like building a nerf howitser. But since nobody has done that at least that I know of I would say that were safe.

Edited by dart, 30 July 2008 - 01:45 PM.

I went into the choir room today and told the teacher," I can ony sing base" she said," I can fix that" she gave me a prompt kick in the nuts; i've been singing soprano ever since.

~DART

#16 needak

needak

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:49 PM

can someone tell me where to find out if it's legal in new mexico

#17 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:54 PM

I seriously doubt that there are ANY laws against nerf modding. Most of the "orange tip laws" apply to guns like airsoft, which could be mistaken for real guns without the orange tip.

I don't think anyone has anything to worry about unless you have a nerf gun that can cause serious physical harm to someone. As long as you're not shooting flaming darts or putting hypodermic needles full of acid in your stefans, there shouldn't be a problem.

And no one gives a shit about the little warning on ths side of all our guns. That's just Hasbro's way of saying "if you fuck up and hurt yourself, it's not our fault."

Nerf guns are TOYS! Even the most highly modded nerf gun will only be about as powerful as a paintball gun. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to be worried about modifying a toy, unless of course you're modifying it to shoot high explosive grenades.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#18 needak

needak

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:10 PM

I need you to tell me where you got your information on that post, I want a link to the web page where you found it (or if you're a square and it came from a book, I want it quoted directly and i want the title, author and page number) everyone else says modding is perfectly legal and that the sign on the gun is just a disclaimer. I'm gonna need some serious evidence if I'm going to believe one person when everyone else says differently. :)

Edited by needak, 30 July 2008 - 03:12 PM.

#19 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:15 PM

I need you to tell me where you got your information on that post, I want a link to the web page where you found it (or if you're a square and it came from a book, I want it quoted directly and i want the title, author and page number) everyone else says modding is perfectly legal and that the sign on the gun is just a disclaimer. I'm gonna need some serious evidence if I'm going to believe one person when everyone else says differently. :)

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic

#20 Kuhlschrank

Kuhlschrank

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:19 PM

If you truly need to look something up, check under your states firearms regulations and see if there is a certain muzzle velocity that allows a toy to be considered a firearm/weapon.

Since you don't need docuumentation to buy paintball guns, at least not in NJ and we're one of the most anal states about these sort of things, there is no realistic reason that would require regulation against a toy with a nerf gun's power.

How old are you guys, that you need to argue about the legality of nerf guns? And if your brother is under the age of 11, then there is no use trying to explain to him the difference between a disclaimer and a law, just drop the argument.
+Kuhlschrank+ of the ~Lawnchair Mafia~

#21 ultra920

ultra920

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:20 PM

Really, didn't know that. Considering I'm just a teenager who loves to play with Nerf guns, not the FBI spying on everyone here and checking for predators and law violations. That would be silly!

I'm pretty damn sure bringing and all black Nerf gun in public is illegal. Not 100% on mods, but if it uses combustion its illegal.
There is no Ultra, only a 920.

PSN: ultra920 MGO:ultra920 shoot me an MGO invite if you play

#22 needak

needak

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:29 PM

I kinda figured he was either making it up or exaggerating something someone told him (his dad maybe?) :P . still, if he doesn't either admit he was lying or show some decent evidence I'm going to see if I can report him for giving false information. :D

If you truly need to look something up, check under your states firearms regulations and see if there is a certain muzzle velocity that allows a toy to be considered a firearm/weapon.

Since you don't need docuumentation to buy paintball guns, at least not in NJ and we're one of the most anal states about these sort of things, there is no realistic reason that would require regulation against a toy with a nerf gun's power.

How old are you guys, that you need to argue about the legality of nerf guns? And if your brother is under the age of 11, then there is no use trying to explain to him the difference between a disclaimer and a law, just drop the argument.

My brother turned 11 in January and we're both pretty well educated about that sort of thing :D , in fact, he already knows the difference :P . he just thinks it's a law (I'm not 100% on what he thinks because I showed him some of the posts, but he hasn't given me an answer yet :)

#23 King Of Butt Land

King Of Butt Land

• Banned
  • 324 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:38 PM

Do what you like, but don't be surprised when I say I told you so when your serving 15 years in county...

#24 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:42 PM

I kinda figured he was either making it up or exaggerating something someone told him (his dad maybe?) :P . still, if he doesn't either admit he was lying or show some decent evidence I'm going to see if I can report him for giving false information. :D

My brother turned 11 in January and we're both pretty well educated about that sort of thing :D , in fact, he already knows the difference :P . he just thinks it's a law (I'm not 100% on what he thinks because I showed him some of the posts, but he hasn't given me an answer yet :)

Please promptly shut the fuck up. You are probably the most worthless member on this board. All of your 10 posts have been completely stupid and unnecessary. It was a joke. Sorry to be the one to ruin it, but this guy is just such a douche bag.

No, it's not illegal. This is well established all throughout. You're not going to force an apology out of anyone here.
Teehee.

#25 King Of Butt Land

King Of Butt Land

• Banned
  • 324 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:48 PM

Don't listen to a word he says, JESUS CHRIST DON'T.

Really though, I hope you weren't taking me seriously.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users