My Pepperbox Maverick, Another Steampunk Gun

you're probably tired of these by now

14 replies to this topic

#1 serpent sniper

serpent sniper

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 03:13 PM

Well, like I said, I've been working on a maverick. Not much to say about it. It is done in a pepperbox style, like victorian revolvers.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Like the other gun it's on eBay. Comments welcome. I'm probably not going to make any more steampunk themed guns. At least for a while. The good news is that I did shoot some videos of the painting process. I'll compile them, throw in some music, and put it on youtube. I didn't cover the wood technique that everyone was asking about, but if you're really desperate to learn it I can probably explain it.

Edited by serpent sniper, 30 July 2008 - 12:52 AM.

Animus GmbH My Custom Nerf Props and Paintjobs

#2 karpenter63

karpenter63

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 03:47 PM

I usually don't post in these cosmetic modifications, but I'll make an exception because this particular one is awe inspiringly beautiful.

The details are amazing. Some artists work in oils, others in clay. You my friend, work in mavericks, and you do it quite well. Keep up the good work.
Nerf...my anti-drug

Frappr - Nerfers United

#3 ultra920

ultra920

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 03:53 PM

Amazing. Great details. Be careful with that screw.
Posted Image
I over screwed like that in the front of my nightfinder and now it won't close.
There is no Ultra, only a 920.

PSN: ultra920 MGO:ultra920 shoot me an MGO invite if you play

#4 Lion

Lion

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 04:07 PM

I like the short cyclinder, good job.

#5 Brunta

Brunta

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 05:34 PM

That my friend is a beautiful piece of artwork. Excellent job! After seeing your last one I got started on my own steampunk themed gun. I know everyone is tired of those so I probably won't be posting it for a while.

#6 Lion

Lion

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:08 PM

Post it if you got it.

#7 Brunta

Brunta

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:45 PM

Don't worry Lion. I'll post it when it's finished.

#8 BustaDartInYOurAss

BustaDartInYOurAss

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:40 PM

Beautiful, Absolutely beautiful, i could not of asked for anything better

#9 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:11 AM

It certainly is different, that's for sure! I've never seen a snub-nosed Maverick like this before. Something about the look just works for me - I like it.

Did you have any trouble getting a good seal on the plunger/turret area, what with changing the length of the cylinder?
Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#10 mintee

mintee

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:48 PM

It certainly is different, that's for sure! I've never seen a snub-nosed Maverick like this before. Something about the look just works for me - I like it.

Did you have any trouble getting a good seal on the plunger/turret area, what with changing the length of the cylinder?

I would imagine yes, if I'm thinking he did what I'm thinking, then the opening for the barrel is going to be right up against the plunger opening now too.

#11 serpent sniper

serpent sniper

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:27 PM

The seal isn't terrible. The barrels shoot different ranges though. Some good, some fine, and some bad. I'm not sure what it is that causes the inconsistency. Regardless, I did this more for looks. Mavericks are far from amazing in the performance department anyways.

#12 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:44 PM

I really like this one. But, what adhesive did you use to connect the two halves of the turret together? It looks pretty sloppy. Did you just like slather it with hot glue and epoxy, or what? I think you could have done better on it. But otherwise, I like it.
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#13 serpent sniper

serpent sniper

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:34 PM

Hot glue. I tried to dremel off the excess (which works very well by the way) but the dremel could only be positioned in so many angles and it was hard to sand off the glue without sanding the gun.

#14 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 04:14 PM

It has been done before:
http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=6272
CS said himself it doesn't last very long.

I do like your paintjob though.
Teehee.

#15 serpent sniper

serpent sniper

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:15 PM

I never claimed that I invented this. I used CS's writeup as a guide when I was envisioning what to cut off. Now that I look at it more, I probably should have used some screws like Slug did in addition to the Gorilla Glue I used.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users