Photo

The Vulcan: Internals And Mods! New Mods Pg.9!

Chain link mod pg.1, Ar removed pg.2, Spring replacement and more pg.9

197 replies to this topic

#51 g-force

g-force

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:24 PM

Splitlip I have a question. without the catch belt box or the top hatch wont the chain just fall off? Especially with a double belt.

Also I just did this exact mod today, splitlip beat me to posting it. I plan a integration and cosmetics for tommarow.

Yeah, the chain falls off. What of it? ;) I've got a fix for it that's part of the major overhaul I mentioned before though. When are you gonna post your stuff?

You've said that like 5 times now, and you spelled tomorrow wrong each time lol.

Well now that you posted this I see no reason to post it since the pics are nearly identical.
I plan on a cosmetis mod to transform the vulcan into......................... an aligator with moving jaws! And complete with a titan integration!
QUOTE(Carbon @ Jul 28 2008, 03:25 AM) View Post

My god, you actually built it. To that, all I can say is, "bravo".

Chubbs

#52 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:52 PM

Splitlip I have a question. without the catch belt box or the top hatch wont the chain just fall off? Especially with a double belt.

Also I just did this exact mod today, splitlip beat me to posting it. I plan a integration and cosmetics for tommarow.

Yeah, the chain falls off. What of it? ;) I've got a fix for it that's part of the major overhaul I mentioned before though. When are you gonna post your stuff?

You've said that like 5 times now, and you spelled tomorrow wrong each time lol.

Well now that you posted this I see no reason to post it since the pics are nearly identical.
I plan on a cosmetis mod to transform the vulcan into......................... an aligator with moving jaws! And complete with a titan integration!

I'd like to see the internals of yours. I pulled off some gears and I'm not sure if I lined the back up exactly right or not.

Alligator with moving jaws? Awesome lol. A flying bird alligator monster with a titan attachment. Killer.
Teehee.

#53 Guest_DarkInfection_*

Guest_DarkInfection_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2008 - 08:27 AM

­

Edited by DarkInfection, 23 June 2010 - 09:27 PM.

#54 Guest_OS1_*

Guest_OS1_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:40 AM

AH... I am making so many sticky notes in my mind right now. Think what the profesor will come up with having all those batteries to work with! I have two commission jobs to finish and then I will be diving in! Keep the info flowing! I already see several things that have not been pointed out (not that someone has not also seen them!) The beakers are really boiling now!

#55 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:24 AM

Here's my question - what happens, both stock and modified - when the belt advances to one of the endcaps? Does the thing dry-fire, or is there something to prevent that?

Does it not fire when it hits the end of the chain when stock?

Does it skip firing when it hits the middle "end cap" in the chain when you use it with the modified chain?

Details, man. We need more details! It will never be enough!!! :D

Edited by Ambience 327, 25 July 2008 - 10:24 AM.

Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#56 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 01:31 PM

Here's my question - what happens, both stock and modified - when the belt advances to one of the endcaps? Does the thing dry-fire, or is there something to prevent that?

Does it not fire when it hits the end of the chain when stock?

Does it skip firing when it hits the middle "end cap" in the chain when you use it with the modified chain?

Details, man. We need more details! It will never be enough!!! :D

Seriously, I already addressed this. It works just fine. It lines it up, shoots air into it, and moves on. It treats it the same as every other shell.

So now I'm having problems with my Vulcan. For some odd reason (yes everything is lubed up, and put back correctly - even the gears I mentioned earlier), the plunger tube tip doesn't retract enough, and still holds onto the shell just enough that the cogs can't rotate and advance the chain. I've tried doubling up the spring that pushes it back into place, changing that spring, relubing everything, the works. Doubling the spring puts too much force and makes it not seal with the clips (for a long and perfectly sound reason). Replacing the spring helped, but it's not enough. It still doesn't go back far enough. Relubing did nothing as far as I can tell.

Also, g-force, I'm finding that your ranges are heavily unsubstantiated. I'm getting about 15-20 feet flat, no ARs.

Also, the ranges are going to be the same whether the gun is electrically or manually fired because of how the gun is designed. The motor cycles and cocks the gun, the same as the charging handle, and the trigger fires it. But because you're holding the trigger down, it just keeps firing. Like a firefly or mav, hold down the trigger and cock it. When it's pulled all the way back, just fire it. That's basically what the Vulcan does in full auto, except the motor pulls it back.

I'm not putting anymore time into this right now, until I get a reply back from Hasbro. I'll be watching for your mythical flying reptile (titan, vulcan, alligator), g-force.

Edited by Splitlip, 25 July 2008 - 01:32 PM.

Teehee.

#57 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 01:47 PM

Seriously, I already addressed this. It works just fine. It lines it up, shoots air into it, and moves on. It treats it the same as every other shell.

Well, you had addressed it by saying it worked fine. I wanted particulars as to what it actually did. This information you have now provided. Thanks. :D

(It matters to me as it might make a difference in what kind pf chain-joining mods are preferred. Yours is quick and easy, but it puts a blank shot after every 25 links - that would be like leaving one slot in your RF20 or Magstrike unloaded - i.e. that shot wouldn't do anything, but it would still be part of the firing process, slowing overall ROF - not much, but still.)
Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#58 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:43 PM

This is awesome. I can already see it: Some one showing up to a war covered in ammo belt clips. So far I love this blaster. Great job Split.

Edited by Dayko, 25 July 2008 - 03:50 PM.

< One foot in death...The other in life. >

#59 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:55 PM

I'm getting about 15-20 feet flat, no ARs.

What the hell happened to the ranges we were hearing earlier!? :D Please tell me you're joking.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#60 angelof DEATH182

angelof DEATH182

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:57 PM

G-fooooooorce!
You got some 'splainin to do!

Seriously, I won't lie, I hated you when I first saw you, but kept it in.
RAH HATEBLAST

Edited by angelof_DEATH182, 25 July 2008 - 02:58 PM.

#61 Kazimir

Kazimir

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 03:02 PM

SplitLip - is there any chance you could get a good close-up of the electronics, with some annotation of where different switches are connected?

Are the batteries connected to one another in series (are we talking 9v?) or are they connected in two serial banks (4.5v?)

Have you got a multimeter, such that you can get some decent measurements of what kind of current this thing wants, and have you got a variable-voltage power supply, so we can hear about whether or not it's feasible to overvoltage this thing for higher rates-of-fire?

Really, this may all be silly to ask you, and I should just go buy one of my own and run these numbers myself.

GREAT WORK. Really well done.

#62 g-force

g-force

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 03:07 PM

G-fooooooorce!

RAH HATEBLAST

What do I have to explain? And why did you hate me? Is it for the same reasons everyone hates ice?
QUOTE(Carbon @ Jul 28 2008, 03:25 AM) View Post

My god, you actually built it. To that, all I can say is, "bravo".

Chubbs

#63 angelof DEATH182

angelof DEATH182

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 03:12 PM

G-fooooooorce!

What do I have to explain? And why did you hate me? Is it for the same reasons everyone hates ice?

I have this impersonal hate of everyone without capitals in their name and a member number over 10000.
Actually.
It's personal with you for lying about ranges.

Edited by angelof_DEATH182, 18 August 2008 - 11:54 PM.

#64 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 03:12 PM

Well, g-force, I hate your guts too. I hate you because you have a Vulcan and I don't. <_< I mean, all hate is, in a lot of respects, envy.

Edited by Bomberman, 25 July 2008 - 03:13 PM.

QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#65 Lieutenant

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 03:18 PM

So let me get this straight, the chains has 26 of those grey things, but only 25 can hold darts?

#66 Nate2

Nate2

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 03:25 PM

It actually looks like 27 links with two end caps.
"How long is it supposed to be?"

You got a problem with me? You take it up with me directly.

#67 angelof DEATH182

angelof DEATH182

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 03:35 PM

G-fooooooorce!

Explain how you got 65 feet with just the pegs removed and Splitlip is getting 15-20 feet with both removed.

EDIT:I know you're looking, g-force, Go ahead and explain.

Edited by angelof_DEATH182, 18 August 2008 - 11:53 PM.

#68 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 03:43 PM

Lol. Holy crap you guys went ape shit. Anway, Hasbro site is down, so I couldn't get a tech support phone number or e-mail, so I did what I said I was not going to do. I've been tinkering with it more and more, and this takes forever. Just to get the top rails off if 8 screws if you include the manual cocking connector support.

Anyway, I think I figured out what was wrong. The plunger tube is two pieces, and between them is where the ar goes. The plunger tube has to be lined up very specifically, and so does the "cap" of it (the part that seals with the shell). I had it off a few degrees, and a corner was digging into my rotation mechanism and adding resistance for when it went to move back. All is well now. Ranges significantly increased, but they're still not 65 feet average. I'll do some official tests and let you know.

I did another mod as well, it's phase 1 of my major overhaul. It may or may not affect ranges; I doubt it will positively, but I know it won't negatively. More details later.

I will be changing the O-ring. It's too small for the plunger tube. It had looked like it was alright, but I realize now that it was just shifted off the the side, making it look bigger. I may change the spring. It will decrease rate of fire, but who cares. 3 per second is overkill anyway. <_<

Sorry I'm flip-flopping on the mods-I'm-going-to-do issue; I don't want to kill my $40 toy. :)

I'm very relieved that this thing is alright now. I'm going out to buy batteries now, then I'll do official range and speed tests.

Expect another post in 2-3 hours.
Teehee.

#69 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 03:49 PM

Enough bickering. Split, can you get a video of it firing when you do your tests?

< One foot in death...The other in life. >

#70 chefdave

chefdave

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 04:13 PM

nvm, look in general nerf

Edited by chefdave, 25 July 2008 - 04:25 PM.

QUOTE(VACC @ Jul 21 2009, 08:13 PM) View Post
QUOTE(crispy) View Post

Talio likes to eat his own shit.
It's a distinct possibility. But seriously, that's all you could come up with? You are a terrible Troll.

#71 omglead

omglead

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 04:28 PM

My vulcan just broke, because the moter does not work correctly, and turns off after about 5 shots.

Edit: Just found out it can be fixed. The problem was bad connection. <_<

Edited by omglead, 25 July 2008 - 04:54 PM.

[quote]
CDdts r great u new to nerf if u dont know how to make them NOOB

Tannman500

#72 zach attack

zach attack

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 05:00 PM

do you know the stock ranges????

#73 omglead

omglead

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 05:19 PM

The stock ranges are about 35-40 feet
[quote]
CDdts r great u new to nerf if u dont know how to make them NOOB

Tannman500

#74 angelof DEATH182

angelof DEATH182

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 05:34 PM

The stock ranges are about 35-40 feet

Sorry, but my impersonal hate just kicked in.
There's really no way to get Stock ranges like that.
Did you use a measuring tape, or did you guess the ranges?
Or did you lie?
It's ok if you lied, as long as you tell us now.

#75 Herpestidae

Herpestidae

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 05:37 PM

Someone really needs to post a video of it firing along a tape measure stretched out. That way it would kill the speculation. I really don't care if it is stock or not just so long as it is real. Also before one of you with a vulcan yells at me to do it myself just know that I would if I wasn't stuck down in the Missouri Ozarks doing research with the closest Wal-Mart a freaking hour away.
Grimlock no bozo! Grimlock king!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users