Marvelous Salvo...

...with a Big Salvo pump IS possible! Also, SSM1.5k

16 replies to this topic

#1 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:57 PM

I'm going to try to make a MS soon, and I thought I'll be able to use a BS pump instead of sacrificing one of my AT2k's pumps... (shame I cut up my broken AT2k) but now I opened my BS again, I saw that the pump ISN'T connected with a hose but rather is glued togeather with it's firing system. I really wanted to use the BS pump because it's much bigger than a AT2k pump and would pump up 3 air tanks pretty fast. Do you guys think there is any good way to use it with a MS?

The big problem is, I don't think the BS pump HAS a check valve anywhere in it because of it's design. So what I was thinking was, to cut off the top part of the fire control where the tubing connects and goop a hose into the new opening and try to find a check valve that connects with 1/8 ID tubing.. or goop the check valve directly in the new opening and just connect the tubing to that.

Also, does anyone know the McMasterCarr number for some good tubing couplers like Chili used? And maybe a check valve? I doubt I'll be able to find what I need at the Home Depot nearby.

I found the anwser to my question. Scroll down to see a write up on how I connected my SMDTG trigger to my BS pump.

Edited by Galaxy613, 24 July 2008 - 03:25 PM.

[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#2 ChiliPepperFender

ChiliPepperFender

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 09:03 PM

McMasterCarr has good barbed fittings that imaseolman used. I got mine at Home Depot. I don't know about the check valves though. I actually ran into a similar problem that you have right now, which is why I used an AT2k pump. Or, if your already connecting the MS to an air gun, you can use the one pump and save space.

Also, I believe I use 1/4 ID tubing, and 1/4 tubing connectors. Imaseolman uses 3/16 barbed fittings which I think work better than tubing connectors.

If you do end up cutting up the BS pump, let us know how it goes, I'm really intrigued as it if this works or not.
[The Blue Tiger][Manta Star]
WTS: Stock Crossbow. PM me if you have interest.

#3 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 09:50 PM

Well, what I did to my MS is I took a small ball pump you get at wall mart for like 5 bucks. Its 12 inches long. I cut the entire pump section out and then took the existing pump (still attached) and cut it just before end cap attached to the hose. Then I simply epoxied the ball pump end into the existing pump and now I get 2 whole clips off for about 10 or 12 pumps.
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

#4 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:12 PM

Well, what I did to my MS is I took a small ball pump you get at wall mart for like 5 bucks. Its 12 inches long. I cut the entire pump section out and then took the existing pump (still attached) and cut it just before end cap attached to the hose. Then I simply epoxied the ball pump end into the existing pump and now I get 2 whole clips off for about 10 or 12 pumps.

Ah, using the check valve from the SMDTG... great idea IMHO. Didn't even think of it.

Though I think you are talking about a different MS, I'm talking about the Marvelous Salvo, not Magstrike. ;)

#5 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:28 PM

Eh, Chili helped me out with that one, but hey, the concept still works.
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

#6 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 01:27 AM

You could also make a check valve if all else fails. Its a pretty simple thing. Also you could buy a check valve from pretty much any pet store in the aquarium section. i'm not sure how they would hold up under great amounts of pressure. However I use one on my CO2 setup and it does well. tho thereisn't a whole lot of pressure there. I do know a guy in OR that also sells metal Checkvalves that should hold up well under high pressure.
http://www.bestaquar.../CO2.html#check

They run about 12 bucks tho.

Edited by Blacksunshine, 24 July 2008 - 01:27 AM.

Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#7 mintee

mintee

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:00 AM

The pet stores I've visited have really crappy barbless check valves. I wasn't aware that the detonator body for the SMDTG had a check valve; please elaborate, is it at the top just after the pump input nipple?

edit: disregard that last sentence. The check valve is on the SMDTG pump. NOT on the detonator assembly thing.

Edited by min.tee, 24 July 2008 - 05:25 AM.

#8 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:30 AM

You could also make a check valve if all else fails. Its a pretty simple thing. Also you could buy a check valve from pretty much any pet store in the aquarium section. i'm not sure how they would hold up under great amounts of pressure. However I use one on my CO2 setup and it does well. tho thereisn't a whole lot of pressure there. I do know a guy in OR that also sells metal Checkvalves that should hold up well under high pressure.
http://www.bestaquar.../CO2.html#check

They run about 12 bucks tho.

Thanks, if all else fails I'll see about getting one of those. :(

Anyways, I'm going to try to goto Homedepot today, but it might not work out. But I can still try to attach my BS pump to my SMDTG trigger. :D I've taken a pipe cutter as close as I could to the end of the pump, theres roughly a inch of the pump still there. The check valve is fine from the cutting. (Pics will be up once I finish the whole thing and post a write up.)

*Edit* Guys.. I think the BS pump DOES have a check valve after all...

Edited by Galaxy613, 24 July 2008 - 08:44 AM.

#9 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:36 PM

Okay, yes, the SMDTG does have a check valve in it, and yes it is in the pump, but it's a pain and slightly bulky to use...which is why I opt for McMaster.com part: 7757K11 a "Spring-Loaded Ball Check Valve with Barbed Connections." It costs a whopping $3.38! These make integrating a million times easier. It fits my tubing perfectly (which I also get from McMaster because it's cheaper, shipping costs are minimal, and if you're ordering anything from their website, you may as well get everything else you're going to need for a while because shipping doesn't increase much). The barbed connectors I use are also there, as well as the instant tube fittings (the ones you've seen in ChilliPepperFender's Marvelous Salvo Write Up).

Heres a list of the materials I purchase from them (relating to the Marvelous Salvo) and what they cost:
Tubing: 5233K52 1/4" OD 1/8" ID $.10/foot
Check Valve: 7757K11 for 1/8" ID tubing $3.23/valve (it is the same price for 3/16" and 1/4")
Barbed Connectors: 5463K333 for 1/8" ID tubing $4.74 per pack of 10
Instant Tube Fitting: 9087K61 for 1/4" OD tubing $2.14 each

Those are things I usually purchase from McMaster, that should save you A LOT of time searching. I haven't found anything to beat those prices! I hope that helped.

Now, back to the situation at hand...yes the Big Salvo also has a check valve in it...in fact it has four very tiny check valves in it. In the part where the and the trigger rod (or firing pin or whatever) goes in and out, there are four small holes leading to the four posts that the tubing connects to. In each of these four holes is a tiny spring loaded check valve. When thre firing rod gets pushed through there, it depresses the valve allowing air to flow out, creating back-pressure, and firing the big salvo chambers.

So yes, you could use it. If you have any other questions about it, just let me know, I'll do my best to help.

#10 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 01:32 PM

Thanks everyone who helped! Epsecially imaseoulman, but your message was a tad late because when you posted that, I was in Home Depot. I found the tubing connectors and even found some NF replacement springs. Also, the BS pump IS working! And I got pics. I was going to see about intergrating my new MS into my longshot... but I now have a better idea. How about my Supermaxx 1.5k? :rolleyes: In hindsight I could've/would've/should've just got a T joint sense the my supermaxx has a GREAT pump, but oh well.

So yeah, these instructions are basicly the same as found here, with the notable change of how we're going to do the pump...

So yeah, take your SMDTG
Posted Image

Posted Image
And use some cutters and cut the tube connector off the pump. (aka the green line).

Open up your BigS and cut off the tubing.
Posted Image

You want to rip off that alien looking part at the top to get this:
Posted Image

I used a hacksaw. Now clean up that rectanglar hole and fit the tube connector of the old SMDTG pump into the hole. You might have to trim some off the tube connector.
Posted Image

Now glue/epoxy/goop it up. I use loads of Zap-a-gap and it's been holding up.

And so, here's my MS right now.
Posted Image

#11 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 01:39 PM

Nice job. You only need a check valve on it you're planning on integrating into another air and want to use the same point. With the Marvelous Salvo integrated into the SM1500, you'll have problems firing one first then the other. If you fire the Marvelous Salvo first, then all the air in the SM1500 air tank will leak out through the first BS barrel. Depending on how lucky you are with the SMDTG trigger, if you fire the SM1500 first, then it may cause too much back pressure and fire one or more of the BS chambers. Sometimes, though, you get lucky and the SMDTG trigger seems to not allow enough back pressure to cause this problem, but that's very rare. By the way, the SM1500 is the second I used to integrate on a Marvelous Salvo...so to sum it up, if you put it on there and use the same pump, you'll probably need a check valve.

#12 ChiliPepperFender

ChiliPepperFender

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 01:49 PM

Nice job, now I have something to do with my 2 BS pumps. The only problem I see is the pump is close to the SMDTG trigger, so your going to have to put the pump near it. Which may make it harder to integrate it to something. Also, I'd suggest using plumbers goop to not only make it hold better but create an air tight seal.
[The Blue Tiger][Manta Star]
WTS: Stock Crossbow. PM me if you have interest.

#13 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:04 PM

Nice job. You only need a check valve on it you're planning on integrating into another air and want to use the same point. With the Marvelous Salvo integrated into the SM1500, you'll have problems firing one first then the other. If you fire the Marvelous Salvo first, then all the air in the SM1500 air tank will leak out through the first BS barrel. Depending on how lucky you are with the SMDTG trigger, if you fire the SM1500 first, then it may cause too much back pressure and fire one or more of the BS chambers. Sometimes, though, you get lucky and the SMDTG trigger seems to not allow enough back pressure to cause this problem, but that's very rare. By the way, the SM1500 is the second I used to integrate on a Marvelous Salvo...so to sum it up, if you put it on there and use the same pump, you'll probably need a check valve.

I'm keeping they two systems separate. I don't fancy ANOTHER trip to Home Depot or wait for McMasterCarr. It's not a intergration, as much as slapping a MS on the SM1.5

Nice job, now I have something to do with my 2 BS pumps. The only problem I see is the pump is close to the SMDTG trigger, so your going to have to put the pump near it. Which may make it harder to integrate it to something. Also, I'd suggest using plumbers goop to not only make it hold better but create an air tight seal.

It's not to bad, I extended the trigger a little, making the det' a little longer, but my intergration is going well.

Zap-a-gap already made a air tight seal, I might put goop on it over night just for reinforcement and another layer of protection, but it's working great as-is.

*Edit* Ok here's my abomination. The faint of heart should not look.

Posted Image

Yeah... Here's a close up of how I did the trigger. BTW I'm right handed.

Posted Image

Edited by Galaxy613, 24 July 2008 - 03:22 PM.

#14 Guest_Killakit_*

Guest_Killakit_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2008 - 04:46 PM

Sorry for making a post rather long after the topic was started but I absolutely had to! This thing is ridiculous. I was at DCNO and I saw this thing in action. Matter of the fact I was the one who bought the PETG'd Airtech 2000! But anyway, that thing is just cluttered with little shots. I love it. It is so cool how all the tubes are running around the sides of the gun. GRRREAAT JOB!!

#15 chefdave

chefdave

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 04:56 PM

Ok killakit, You have posted in over 10 topics in about 15 minutes.... did you even read the Code of Conduct!!!

You have also necro'd one topic and replied to a 3 year old post in the mods and paintjob thread.

Seriously, read this!

Edited by chefdave, 28 September 2008 - 05:10 PM.

QUOTE(VACC @ Jul 21 2009, 08:13 PM) View Post
QUOTE(crispy) View Post

Talio likes to eat his own shit.
It's a distinct possibility. But seriously, that's all you could come up with? You are a terrible Troll.

#16 Nonsense Man

Nonsense Man

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 09:35 PM

While this is back up I have to comment. That thing is an amazing monstrosity. The only way to make it awesomer is to turret all the MS barrels but that would make it incredibly unwieldy.
QUOTE(1lastnerfgun @ Apr 19 2008, 08:39 AM) View Post

40 shots for 40 cocks

#17 Herpestidae

Herpestidae

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 09:39 PM

Can we please take care of Killakit Old Yeller style or just ban the little bastard. I have never seen so many necros in such a short amount of time.
Grimlock no bozo! Grimlock king!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users