Assault Magstrike

Increased air output with long barrels

15 replies to this topic

#1 oodalumps

oodalumps

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:08 PM

So I did some risky mods to my Magstrike with hopes of making it shoot really far. I expected the range to increase and for the ROF and shots-per-pump to decrease. And the mods worked somewhat so here's what I did.

Posted Image

After doing the standard mods, I drilled a hole into the piston where I wanted to add a PVC extension (see other pictures for where I added it). I don't know what drill bit size I used, but it works good for 1/4" threaded brass fittings. That second hole inside the piston was already there, not from my drilling.

Posted Image

Two 1/2" PVC end caps, a 1/4" brass pipe nipple, and a little bit of 1/2" PVC. This is what the extension is made of. Build it as large as you dare (I made it as small as I could) with some pvc cement; Drill a hole into the side (same size as the hole in the piston).

Posted Image

Screw the nipple into the PVC extension and then screw the extension into the piston. Goop the hell out of it so it doesn't leak, and then hot glue, or other glue of choice, to reinforce it. Cut the top of the shell so that the extension can fit and so that it can move with the piston. Cut the front of the shell off so that that longer barrels will fit. Make a PETG clip with long barrels on it. I used 6" barrels because that was easiest.

Posted Image

I got 60-85' flat with one clip.
Ranges were varied because some of the barrels on the PETG clip were leaky as hell. The piston needs more banding and making a brassed clip would probably yield better ranges also. Have fun out ranging most guns at rapid fire.

Edited by oodalumps, 18 July 2008 - 02:11 PM.

#2 NerfCrazy

NerfCrazy

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:16 PM

Wow thats incredible, 85' feet flat with some barrels. Nice job.

#3 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:39 PM

Ha, I started one of these a long time ago but I haven't finished it yet (I'm in the middle of several projects). I don't think brass will make much difference in your range (do you get better range with your darts in brass in other s?) Maybe it will, but for my air s brass hasn't been the best choice.

Anyway, banding will make a HUGE difference. Without tank expansion I got my MS 85'. One PC that must be one of those "lucky freak incidences" had some barrels hitting around 100'. I double banded the bladder (as I did in my Arachnophobia II mod) with bike inner tube (it allows you to run higher compression and more air, not volume but mass, and will allow more shots before refilling when combined with a banded piston). My piston was also double banded (two rubber bands). Some day I'll finish my tank expansion and see what I can squeeze out of it.

Oh and by the way, how's the accuracy on it? I've never gotten a long range MS to be very accurate. The range is nice for raining on a group/base to clear out a few to make capturing the flag easier. Nice work. I was hoping to be the one to unveil the first expanded tank MS, but you did a great job. Just finish banding the piston and let us know how much it helps the range. Banding the bladder won't improve the range, but it will help ROF and max shots.

Props.

#4 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:54 PM

Great Job, but can you post a pic of the PETG clip alone? And how much do you think the ROF has decreased? I think the stock ROF was probably around 1.5-2 shots every second, but that's just a guestimate. And do you think you could do this with an RF 20? That would just be insane. And 80 foot, swappable drum, double banded bladder, RF20. Now THERE's a primary.
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#5 oodalumps

oodalumps

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:02 PM

Thanks for the compliments everybody.

imaseoulman-

I've never had good results from my Magstrikes, Even with banding. This is the only one I've gotten to break 60'. So people who can do the standard mods better will probably make some pretty godly Magstrikes. I'm banding the hell out of it right now and if ranges increase, I'll post'm.

Bomberman-

Stock ROF was more like 5 per second. This mod makes it 3-4 per second. I don't know how the RF20 piston works, and it looks very different from the Magstrike's. But if it works the same, it can probably take this mod too.

I modded the clip more like how the cpvc writeup showed. I started to mod it like the regular PETG clip but it got so fucked up that I had to scrap the insides and do it another way. It looks disgucting, but it works.
Posted Image

Edited by oodalumps, 18 July 2008 - 03:07 PM.

#6 poorrecon

poorrecon

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 03:48 PM

The magstrike's ROF is much higher then [size=4]1 [size=1]1/2 to 2 per second.
I've timed ROF on my stock magstrike as much as 12 rounds a second. That's as much as an MP5.

#7 oodalumps

oodalumps

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 03:54 PM

I feel the need to revive this thread. I Just plugged the leaks and added 2" of 17/32 brass to the bottom of the barrels and I'm getting 75-105 ft flat. The clip is having feeding issues now though. I'll make a video after I fix the problems.

#8 ChiliPepperFender

ChiliPepperFender

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 03:59 PM

I know it's late, but I think this is a GREAT Magstrike mod. I've been looking at it the last few days. My project I'm working on is actually based off of your design, but with a few changes of course. I really love this mod, thanks for sparking ideas in my head.
[The Blue Tiger][Manta Star]
WTS: Stock Crossbow. PM me if you have interest.

#9 Llama Boy

Llama Boy

• Banned
  • 208 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:31 PM

105ft with a magstrike! I could barely get mine to go 50.
Truce.

#10 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:49 PM

Okay, so did anyone explain the big pipe thing coming off the top of the plunger? I've read the whole thing and I still don't understand the point of it? What does it do?
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

#11 oodalumps

oodalumps

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 05:39 PM

Okay, so did anyone explain the big pipe thing coming off the top of the plunger? I've read the whole thing and I still don't understand the point of it? What does it do?

On a Magstrike the piston fills itself with air; then it when the piston reaches the end of it's stroke, it releases that air into the barrel. I just gave it more space to fill with air. Thus more air goes out the barrel per shot.

I noticed that when holding down the trigger the first shot is the weakest, and as more shots are fired they go farther. Anybody got any ideas as to why it does that?

#12 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 05:50 PM

On a Magstrike the piston fills itself with air; then it when the piston reaches the end of it's stroke, it releases that air into the barrel. I just gave it more space to fill with air. Thus more air goes out the barrel per shot.

I noticed that when holding down the trigger the first shot is the weakest, and as more shots are fired they go farther. Anybody got any ideas as to why it does that?

Really!? Thats very interesting. Is the massive ranges you get because of the barrels or the tank thing. I'd like those kinds of ranges but i don't have the patients to do both, so what do you think increases the air the most?
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

#13 oodalumps

oodalumps

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 05:59 PM

Really!? Thats very interesting. Is the massive ranges you get because of the barrels or the tank thing. I'd like those kinds of ranges but i don't have the patients to do both, so what do you think increases the air the most?

Both piston and barrels are useless without each other. If you only do one mod, it will just make it worse.

#14 oodalumps

oodalumps

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 06:04 PM

Does anyone have a diagram they can post or link to, showing the proper operation of the main cylinder in the Magstrike?

I've got one which seems to be internally jammed in some way. When the trigger is pressed, the piston and advancing rod move forward (quickly), but the release of pressure (the firing pulse?) just doesn't happen, and then when you release the trigger, the cylinder moves back, but very slowly (like more than a second), apparently just due to the spring inside.

I'm pretty sure that something should be opening somewhere inside when the piston reaches the forward limit, but on this one it isn't.

Of course it's nice (for me) that not working justifies a chance for me to open and examine this one (which does not belong to me), but I don't own a working one to examine and compare.

Note: patience, Banshee, *patience*!

Your rubber seal on the front is stuck. It happens to me whenever I spray silicone into the piston. Pump up your Magstrike and pull the trigger without the clip in it. Hold the trigger down and take a long screwdriver and press into the front of the piston until it shoots.

Edited by oodalumps, 28 July 2008 - 06:05 PM.

#15 oodalumps

oodalumps

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 07:34 PM

Your rubber seal on the front is stuck. It happens to me whenever I spray silicone into the piston. Pump up your Magstrike and pull the trigger without the clip in it. Hold the trigger down and take a long screwdriver and press into the front of the piston until it shoots.

I have it all opened up, and I can see that there are three O-rings, two small and one large. One of the small ones is exterior and rides in the removable forward part - that one we can ignore. The other, "middle" small one appears to be the seal you are referring to, and in my estimation something may be broken or overstretched. When I move the cylinder by hand, the big O-ring and the middle one stay the same distance apart at all times. When I let in pressure with the trigger, the little one moves away, staying at the point where the cylinder necks down to it's smallest diameter. When I then push on it with a straw, it releases. So my question is -- what is (or is supposed to be) between the middle O-ring and the large one? It looks like there should be an extension spring of some kind AND something to limit overall travel to just short of maximum extension of the cylinder.

If you look at the picture where I drilled, you can see that part inside with a small hole in it. This piece moves with the seal that releases the pressure. This MAY be the piece that pulls the seal away when the piston fully extends. There is a spring in there also that pulls it away too. Fixing it might involve ripping the back plate off the back of the piston (it has 4 holes in it); and then pulling the components out. But this is mostly guesswork, so do what you think would work best.

#16 oodalumps

oodalumps

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:10 PM

Video. My dad is filming. Only 6 barrels have the brass in them, so that's all I used. First clip went 60-80 ft. Then I got some footage of chalk marks I had on the ground for measuring. Then the second clip I fired went 40-100+ ft. The ranges aren't very consistent.

As for the dart that went over 100 ft, my dad didn't get the dart on camera while the dart was on the ground at 110'+ (though it landed at around 102').
Me: "You didn't film that one"
Dad: "I did"
He didn't.

Edited by oodalumps, 29 July 2008 - 07:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users