It would create too much fear apparently

11 replies to this topic

#1 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts
  • State:New Jersey

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:21 PM

I'm sure many of you are familiar with freecycle.org If you're not, it's a simple concept - pass on things you don't want or need to people that could use them for free. It eliminates waste in communities overall. Very simple. Well, I moved down more southward in New Jersey so I applied to the local freecycle group. This is the e-mail I got.

Hello,

At this time I am not able to approve your membership.

This is a friendly family atmosphere at the same time members

must use caution while doing item exchanges.

Your email with the words "split lip" lobotomy certainly will send

a message of fear to members.

Your email sends a message defined below.

Mod Owner

Vickie

A lobotomy (Greek: lobos: Lobe of brain, tomos: "cut/slice") is a form of psychosurgery, also known as a leukotomy or leucotomy (from Greek leukos: clear or white and tomos meaning "cut/slice"). It consists of cutting the connections to and from the prefrontal cortex. These procedures often result in major personality changes and possible mental disabilities. Lobotomies were used in the past to treat a wide range of severe mental illnesses, including schizophrenia, clinical depression, and various anxiety disorders, as well as people who were considered a nuisance by demonstrating behaviour characterised as, for example, "moodiness" or "youthful defiance". After the introduction of the antipsychotic Thorazine, lobotomies fell out of common use[1] and the procedure has since been characterized "as one of the most barbaric mistakes ever perpetrated by mainstream medicine".[

What BS.

So I promptly replied:

I hope you realize that you take this too seriously. I feel I must mention that COPPA Policy regulations state that any person(s) under the age of 13 cannot join (and therefore not see my e-mail) without parental consent. If the parents do consent, then they realize what (extremely basic and harmless) words they will be exposed to. The words split, lip, and lobotomy can all be found in games that are rated "E" for Everyone by the ESRB. The only thing you have accomplished is add to the inappropriate and unnecessary censorship of our society, and censorship causes blindness. Therefore, you are not helping, but hurting our society with your misuse of power.

End message.

What do you guys think? I mean, this really ticked me off, but I wrote a generally controlled, rational e-mail. No insults or anything, just outlined what I believed to be a huge mistake.

Ugh. I'll elaborate more if you guys want, but it's pretty self explanatorily reeediculous.

Edit: Seriously, are you 13+ year olds afraid of the words split lip? Or lobotomy? 90% of people probably don't know what it is. And most people don't care enough to look it up. Even if you did, is it really that frightening? "Oh noes his email uses a word I've never heard before about a medical procedure that isn't done any more.. I'm really scared of this guy now.." - Random 13 year old whose parents allow him to single handedly meet strangers and take whatever they have from them.. WTF.

Edited by Splitlip, 15 July 2008 - 09:26 PM.

Teehee.

#2 Rogue Warrior

Rogue Warrior

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:31 PM

wow you ask to save the world and they reject you. I fyou really wanna get back burn those foam coffe cups, soo much bad stuff comes out of the smoke from those.
My GT is Spacecowboy9951

#3 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts
  • State:Georgia

Posted 15 July 2008 - 10:21 PM

I think you should come up with ten different reasons why that guys e-mail sends "a message of fear to members." whatever, if they don't want you, that is their loss. I am sure there are plenty of other recycling programs that could use you.

I fyou really wanna get back burn those foam coffe cups, soo much bad stuff comes out of the smoke from those.

If he did that, then it would defeat the whole purpose of joining a recycling program.
-A side of nerf
Southeast Nerf Contingent

#4 raw shrimp

raw shrimp

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 10:56 PM

They didn't accept me either. My email is "xoxnotdeadxox"(i know it sounds gay, with hugs and kisses in front of it, but it's more of an inside joke) and they rejected me too. It may be more of the site than that group.

#5 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:07 PM

Hahaha. Thats funny. I never knew your name meant that.

So far I've gotten 15 guns from freecycle, and made $40+ bucks from selling them.
Timothy M-Lick <3

#6 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 02:34 AM

Wow what a heaping helping of lamesauce. Try and help the world and the world craps on you.
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#7 ejrasmussen

ejrasmussen

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 04:41 AM

Wait a sec. Your under 13?

#8 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:02 AM

Wait a sec. Your under 13?

Im pretty sure you are under 13, with brains and pointless posts like that. He said under COPPA compliance, that if someone is under 13, they need to get permission from a parent, and the parents need to realize that the child may come across some words like split, lip and lobotomy (sp?). He never said he was under 13.

On topic, that is really funny. My cousin got thrown off some children's site for having the email that started with "butthater" after some kid's parents complained. Kinda similar. But seriously, your name is nothing compared to that, and this vicky person is stupid.
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#9 doubleshot

doubleshot

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:08 AM

I just tried to join my local freecycle group, and got denied for some reason? My email is towardsbabylon. I don't think that sends any messages of fear or anything. I'm also 16, so I don't see why I was denied.
92% of people make up statistics. If you're one of the 8% who don't, put this in your signature

#10 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:27 AM

This is ridiculous. Just another example of people trying to protect children from seeing "bad" words and offensive content, ect. It's a part of human life, and the internet is choc-full of those things. There's really no point in attempting to hide that from the youth because it's everywhere. Stuff like this is just plain over-reaction. I mean, come on! Split lip is bad and offensive? My ass is offensive. Things like this just make me angry.

Edited by Captain, 16 July 2008 - 10:28 AM.

I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

#11 Jedijoe9

Jedijoe9

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:08 AM

The words split, lip, and lobotomy can all be found in games that are rated "E" for Everyone by the ESRB.

This is kind of a silly argument. Although they mentioned being "family friendly," that doesn't necessarily imply use by children. Also, there are many words that would be allowed in many contexts, but that doesn't mean they are universally family friendly.

If you're not familiar with it, freecycle involves physically traveling to the home of the person offering an item, which means the organization is going to avoid anyone that could possibly be dangerous. Obviously a user name doesn't offer much, but would you rather accept someone named "jk1656" or "SpLit LiP LoBoToMy." One is probably going to merit a more positive response...or perhaps they are only allowed to accept so many users at a time, so they fed you a bullshit answer.

The fact of the matter is, it doesn't much matter what we think because they set the rules, so their word goes. My suggestion would be to choose a different user name and get one with it, instead of complaining about it on NH.

Edited by Jedijoe9, 16 July 2008 - 11:08 AM.

"If you watch jaws backwards it's about a huge shark that throws up so many people that they need to open a beach."

I nerf like a four year old.

#12 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts
  • State:New Jersey

Posted 17 July 2008 - 03:07 PM

The fact of the matter is, it doesn't much matter what we think because they set the rules, so their word goes. My suggestion would be to choose a different user name and get one with it, instead of complaining about it on NH.

You're funny. I posted it to see what others think bud. Might wanna check the first post. I understood the reasoning behind it, but they pushed it too far. Read a bit closer and with a bit more of an open mind, chief.
Teehee.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users