Photo

Foam Recommendations

29 replies to this topic

#1 Flantre

Flantre

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 02:23 AM

The group that I nerf with consists of about 9 people. All of which have never all nerfed at the same time, but in the upcoming month, we are going to have a war at a local park. Unfortunately we need a lot more stefans then I can supply at this moment, so everyone in the group is chipping in $10 each for FBR so I can make a sufficient amount of stefans for the war. I just need to know where I should order the foam from. I'm looking for quality 1/2 inch Fbr, any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Flantre, 08 July 2008 - 11:29 PM.

#2 Shadowblade

Shadowblade

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:05 AM

Avoid the Frost King brand of FBR if you can, that stuff isn't dense enough.
Proverbs says, "The wise man doth not shoot the Viking in the ding ding for he shall pummel thee."

But you can totally shoot Vacc there, he loves it!

~Talio

#3 laxtk88

laxtk88

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:32 AM

I googled it and got alot of results. Or you could go to your local hardware store and look (Home Depo, Lowes, Ace). Shadowblade is right by the way, frost king blows.
QUOTE(Sleebo @ Jun 12 2008, 07:23 PM) View Post

Just for the record, my mother is the most beautiful women in the world.

#4 Flantre

Flantre

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:52 AM

I googled it and got alot of results. Or you could go to your local hardware store and look (Home Depo, Lowes, Ace). Shadowblade is right by the way, frost king blows.

Yeah I never really got any results with frost king either. As for using a search engine I have tried and came up with a lot of different choices. That is why I made this thread so I can get a definitive answer on which foam I should buy.

#5 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:35 AM

Some people have gotten the White Backer Rod from this site with good success: http://www.aloghomes...acker-rod.shtml

10ft for $3 w/o shipping. I got my foam at ACE, it works decently with my CPVC, but for PETG it's a little loose. Even with thick walled PETG it slides down.
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#6 hierarchy

hierarchy

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:54 AM

You could buy some pre-made darts from Blacksunshine. I normally wouldn't buy pre-made darts, but his foam is the same fit as my Angel FBR darts are. Also his darts are really accurate, and are made of very dense foam. I highly recommend them.

Edited by hierarchy, 08 July 2008 - 09:55 AM.

QUOTE(Retiate @ Aug 13 2007, 08:43 PM) View Post

I guess you have some heavy duty industrial strength toilet paper holders. Do they advise you to wear eye protection when changing rolls?

My TTG mod.

#7 Salmon

Salmon

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 12:09 PM

I don't know about Frost King, but down in Austin in Home Depots they have this stuff called "MG backing rod".It seems to be a slightly lower consistency than a stock dart. It may be the exact same consistency as Frost King, as I have never seen Frost King myself, but it works great for me, and I have never shredded a dart made out of it. My only problem I've ever had is if I repeatedly fire my darts at a wall at close range with my crossbow, sometimes the tips will break off. But since I don't usually fire at walls during wars, that hasn't ever been a big problem for me. So look around for MG.

EDIT: Oh and it comes in a purple package, by the way.

Edited by Salmon, 08 July 2008 - 12:10 PM.

Welcome to I-dont-care-isburg, population: me.
We're located in I-Don't-Give-a-Damn County, in scenic Shut-the-Hell-Up-achussets.
Maybe you're familiar with our annual charity drive where we ask for shit, and no one gives any.

#8 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 12:30 PM

Thats what I found at my home depot too... I have the same problem with my garage door and garbage can with my air powered guns...

#9 Salmon

Salmon

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 12:43 PM

Thats what I found at my home depot too... I have the same problem with my garage door and garbage can with my air powered guns...

So, do you know if it is the same as FK? The tip problem can get annoying...
We're located in I-Don't-Give-a-Damn County, in scenic Shut-the-Hell-Up-achussets.
Maybe you're familiar with our annual charity drive where we ask for shit, and no one gives any.

#10 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 01:25 PM

Salmon, your signature is really irritating.

And the people whining about Frost King foam: it's all dependent on the particular batch that bag happens to come out of. I've seen dark gray Frost King foam that's squishy and impossible to make darts out of and I've also seen fat light gray foam that's crusty and too tight for all my barrels. The only problem with Frost King is their consistency from batch to batch and sometimes bag to bag, and since the vast majority of people that buy FBR don't give a shit about how it feels you're probably not going to find a company that does make consistent foam.
SexD Warves

#11 Shadow 92

Shadow 92

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 01:33 PM

I use Frost King and my darts are just fine. To keep them at a consistent diameter, I stretch/ blow dry them to fit my barrels.

#12 Mod Man

Mod Man

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 01:40 PM

Hey, I sell red foam I don't know if the price is right for you...........Mod man's Nerf hardware on e-bay. It's good quality foam (same as the red foam that's been around for a year or two) and I have as much as you need. I will combine order's for cheap shipping, no gouge here. Later on, Mod

#13 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 02:02 PM

I have had 3 bags of Frost King foam and each bag blows. I couldn't get the foam to shrink in the dryer. So far my favorite type of FBR is Lowes brand ( I think its Lowes home brand, but I can't be sure ). It comes in a purple and clear bag.

< One foot in death...The other in life. >

#14 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 02:44 PM

Some people have gotten the White Backer Rod from this site with good success: http://www.aloghomes...acker-rod.shtml

10ft for $3 w/o shipping. I got my foam at ACE, it works decently with my CPVC, but for PETG it's a little loose. Even with thick walled PETG it slides down.

I got some from that website, and it is terrible. It was pretty dense, but it was almost as big as mega sized foam.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#15 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 03:46 PM

I have had 3 bags of Frost King foam and each bag blows. I couldn't get the foam to shrink in the dryer. So far my favorite type of FBR is Lowes brand ( I think its Lowes home brand, but I can't be sure ). It comes in a purple and clear bag.

Yeah, that's good foam. Also, ACE hardware carries good foam. It's usually around the checkout stand. But it's sometimes where it should be. It's usually by the checkout stand at my ACE, but I was at one in Portland and it was where it should be. It's gray, it's really dense, probably near-quality of Blacksunshine's darts, and it make pretty accurate darts.
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#16 nerfer9

nerfer9

• Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 04:02 PM

go with Mcmaster-carr . Its what I use for my CS stefans.

#17 laxtk88

laxtk88

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 04:11 PM

I use Ace foam and it’s pretty good. I make them FA_24 style except I straighten them using a blow dryer and not a dryer. It's perfect for me.
QUOTE(Sleebo @ Jun 12 2008, 07:23 PM) View Post

Just for the record, my mother is the most beautiful women in the world.

#18 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 07:25 PM

For $70 you can get enough stuff (foam,washers,felt dots) to make 1500 darts from mcmaster here are the codes:
93295K43 (250 FT OF GRAY FOAM)
8771K61 (Order three bags of washers)
90126A009 (Order three rolls of black felt dots)
Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"
it still seems that your balls drop very rapidly

#19 Watari

Watari

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 07:59 PM

Well, I've never found FBR at home depot, but I went to a Lowe's recently and (although I wasn't looking for it), I found some FBR, here's a picture of it:

(front)
Posted Image

(back)
Posted Image

Sorry for the low quality pictures, and on the top (since when I got home I immediately opened the bag and ripped it apart) is says "Backing Rod."

Also, It is 1/2 inches thick and 20 feet long.

#20 Salmon

Salmon

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:32 PM

^^
Yup, that's the MD stuff. It's pretty good density and consistency. I dunno if its just relabeled Frost King.

#21 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:38 PM

No... Its better than frost king...

#22 nerfer75

nerfer75

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:56 PM

Thats what I have and love it. It's the best foam I've ever used.
---nerfer75---
And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.--Revelation 20:15

#23 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:00 PM

Well, I've never found FBR at home depot, but I went to a Lowe's recently and (although I wasn't looking for it), I found some FBR, here's a picture of it:

(front)
Posted Image

Sorry for the low quality pictures, and on the top (since when I got home I immediately opened the bag and ripped it apart) is says "Backing Rod."

Also, It is 1/2 inches thick and 20 feet long.

Thats the stuff I was talking about. Its about five bucks a bag.

< One foot in death...The other in life. >

#24 Shadow 92

Shadow 92

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 11:06 PM

Heating causes foam to expand. Stretch your foam if you want it to shrink.

#25 tatertotguy

tatertotguy

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:43 PM

The Frost King foam from Home Depot sucks!!!! Buy the Ace Hardware brand it works really well with cpvc. The only thing that FK is good for is certain brass barrels
"So thats when she says, 'No that's my belly button'."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users