Photo

The "idk Titan"

15 replies to this topic

#1 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 01:02 AM

This is a quick and fun little project that started as a joke. The name comes after I ended up trashing the case of my titan more than a year ago and was left with only a pump and tank. "I just don't know" was all I ever thought when I looked at that junk heap. Until now.

Posted Image

First of all, the quality of this images probably is a little sub-standard because I took them with my phone.
I would only recommend doing this if you have a titan without a shell. No sense in ruining a perfectly good titan. Basically, I hooked the internals to a simple pvc system and strapped it onto my back. Crazy huh? The final product is designed to shoot two sets of three darts from each barrel with a 1" foam sabot behind them. Just to clarify, the two inner pieces of 3/4" pvc are NOT barrels, but shoulder supports.

Before you begin, make sure you have:
-Titan (duh)
-duct tape
-1 key ring
-metal wire
-E-tape
-Plumbers Goop
-velcro patches
-replacement pump (optional)
-4x 1" PVC elbows
-1x 1" PVC Tee splitter
-Around 6-7 feet of 1" thin wall PVC
-20" of 3/4" PVC

Ok, let's get into it. I'll start with the titan itself. I did a simple pump replacement by taking the check valve from the old pump and gooping it right onto the end of my replacement. Don't mind the vinyl tubing, that was due to an error I had to fix.

Posted Image

You can also see the duct tape loop I put on the tank. This is the next step to make it possible to sling the titan internals at your side. I folded about a 6" piece of tape in half and taped it to the tank. This is the belt loop. Do the same on the upper part of the pump for your shoulder strap.

Making the straps isn't too difficult, although I started to feel like a tailor when I measured myself. Measure around your shoulder to make your strap. You can make them out of anything, but I'm lazy and duct tape is quick and cheap. I ended up using a 42" strip and put velcro squares where it fit tightest around my chest.

Posted Image

Take 2-3" of 1" PVC and stick it right over the threads on the tank using plumbers goop.

Posted Image

Ok, let's move onto the pipe assembly. To make a long story short, use this picture to guide you. Unless otherwise noted, everything is 1" thin wall PVC.

Posted Image

Cement down everything as you see fit. I chose not to for portability. I'm not sure if this is necessary, but for added stability while wearing it, I added two duct tape shoulder straps next to the 3/4" shoulder bars. Use the duct tape and velcro method above if you want to add these.

The shoulder bars are the hardest part, but still, any nerfer with a dremmel can make them without too much trouble. Using another set of T splitters for the shoulder bars would weaken the air flow, so I decided to just stick 'em on there. You must account for the curvature of the arms by dremmeling little semi-circles at the base of the shoulder bars. Sorry I don't have a picture for this step, but I didn't have my phone with me. Once the 3/4" shoulder bar sits almost-flush with the 1" arms, hold them down with e-tape, hot glue or whatever else you have and apply plumbers goop. After drying, they should look like this:

Posted Image

Alright, almost done now. But it's missing something... oh, right- Kamikazei bomber style ripcord.

Posted Image

There we go! Ok, all I did was twist up about a foot of wire around the Titan's firing pin, slip a key ring through one of the loops in the wire and put another duct tape loop through the key ring. The length is up to you, just as long as you can reach it easily.

Alright! Let's try it on!!!

Posted Image

Ok, quick notes: This requires 1" foam as a sabot to push a few darts out of each barrel. I don't yet have such foam, and because of that, have no ranges, but the airflow is extreme and very promising.
Comments? Questions? Flames?

Edited by BlackFox, 13 July 2008 - 01:14 AM.

"Until we meet in the place where there is no darkness"
-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

Think that piece is beyond repair? Think again!

#2 NerfCrazy

NerfCrazy

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 01:09 AM

Very interesting. I am wondering why did you use 1" pvc? Was that the only size you had on hand? I would imagine that you would get better ranges with 1/2" pvc.

#3 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 01:13 AM

The 1" PVC is meant to shoot out a sort of shotgun blast. 1" thin wall fits 3 darts in a triangle cluster fairly well. The 1" foam sabot I kept mentioning is to push them out. I'd be happy to get 50' with this thing.

Also, 1/2 would kinda classify it as a singled titan which is banned in almost every war I go to.
-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

#4 notthedinkus

notthedinkus

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 01:16 AM

Ok, quick notes: This requires 1" foam as a sabot to push a few darts out of each barrel.
Comments? Questions? Flames?

You could always use kleenex like the wadding use in model rockets. It would work just as well, without the expense or fear of loosing it.
WANTED: Somebody to go back in time
with me. This is not a joke. P.O. Box ***,
Oakview CA 93022. You'll get paid after
we get back. Must bring your own
weapons. Safety not guaranteed. I have
only done this once before.

#5 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 01:19 AM

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I was trying to come up with substitutes in the event that I can't find the right foam. I was originally going to use a kind of insulating foam I had, but it had a fatty hole in it.
-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

#6 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 01:41 AM

2 words.

Mongo Stefans.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#7 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 01:57 AM

2 words.

Mongo Stefans.

Haha, you read my mind. I read your write up on the mongo titan and that was my inspiration to use 1" PVC.

Out of curiosity, where did you find your foam?
-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

#8 Renegademilitia15

Renegademilitia15

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 03:50 PM

:P Wow. Looks a tad unconventional but enormously awesome nonetheless. Great mod dude. ^_^
Singled RFS
FA_24's response to Ice's back pain thread:

I used to have that problem until I got circumcised. 15 pounds later I was able to stand up straight.

#9 Flantre

Flantre

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 07:02 PM

2 words.

Mongo Stefans.

Haha, you read my mind. I read your write up on the mongo titan and that was my inspiration to use 1" PVC.

Out of curiosity, where did you find your foam?

I believe FA24 said he got his foam at Rona.

#10 mintee

mintee

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 09:32 PM

I say attach the barrels to your arms instead. Link the barrels and the air tank with air line tubing. That would give you a more bad-ass version of the spideys and more flexible aiming.

#11 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:24 AM

Wow, I'm impressed. You have successfully ensured that no matter what happens you will hit no one at a nerf war. I just feel like not carrying a gun at all would be easier, but perhaps that's just me being lazy.

#12 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:49 PM

I say attach the barrels to your arms instead. Link the barrels and the air tank with air line tubing. That would give you a more bad-ass version of the spideys and more flexible aiming.

I like that idea... I might try that.

Wow, I'm impressed. You have successfully ensured that no matter what happens you will hit no one at a nerf war. I just feel like not carrying a gun at all would be easier, but perhaps that's just me being lazy.

I intended it only as a one shot deal at a strategic time. It's much too bulky to rely on in a war, so my idea was to take the shot then ditch it. Although you're probably right- I haven't had a chance to test the dart spread yet in which case I might have just wasted my time, but It'd be worth it if only to see the look on peoples' faces.
-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

#13 xtremejumpy

xtremejumpy

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:48 PM

You should put maverick turrets on the ends, and It would be a legal weapon.

#14 Wes7143

Wes7143

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:56 PM

You should put maverick turrets on the ends, and It would be a legal weapon.

I don't want to sound like a douch, but you need to check the dates. Bringing back a topic more than one month old without having anything important to add to the thread is called a necro. We don't like those here, and it's a rule not to make them. please check the dates next time.

-Wes
QUOTE(VengefulWaffle)
Get off my boyfriend

If at first you don't succeed, add more epoxy.

#15 orogomi ninja

orogomi ninja

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 10:33 PM

LOL! UGY! but very creative. It would be awsome as a last resort! I wouldn't do it but I have to agree it is an ineresting idea.
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 23 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Thats the way I do it. Use a rag with some light fast rubbing.

Sometimes I hate my uncontrollable imagination....

#16 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 08:07 AM

Did you really just bring this retarded thing back from the dead? Read the Code of Conduct, cause there will be no further warning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users