Unsticking Stuck Barrel Material

Weird Problem

8 replies to this topic

#1 Bullshit Dragon

Bullshit Dragon

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 09:52 PM

Okay, upon further work on the rechambering of my LS, I ran into a highly amusing, if annoying, issue with the brass I'm using to rechamber it. I pushed it in until it stopped going it by hand, then I put a little weight on it and it got stuck. I can neither push it in further, nor pull it out. I've tried heating the plastic up with a warm rag while simultaneously cooling the brass barrel material with ice/salt water. That didn't work, I'm also trying just ice/salt water on the barrel material (while I'm away from it making this post.)

If anyone has had this problem, please tell me, I need to know what i should do.
Gimme back my bullets....

#2 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 10:31 PM

You are really crafty when it comes to ideas on how to get stuff unstuck, but alas, my only idea is to cut it, but that wouldnt do you much good.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#3 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 10:32 PM

I have never had this problem and have not tried it but you could use one of those small dremel bits and open the camber thing up or just scrap your longshot.
Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"
it still seems that your balls drop very rapidly

#4 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 11:31 PM

You can try hot boiling water as a last resort.

Pour it in a bucket or deep bowl and dip the stuck parts in.

Leave it in there for about 15-30 seconds and try your luck.

This method has helped me in the past.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#5 Bullshit Dragon

Bullshit Dragon

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 01:33 AM

thx, FA.

LSW: What in the world would make you think that scrapping an LS would a good idea?

BustaNinja: I'm usually good about unsticking things, yes, but this has stumped me beyond being stumped. I'm going to give FA's idea a try.

#6 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 08:32 AM

I don't know if you've solved the issue yet but if you dipped the part in boiling water as per F_A24 instruction, then quickly take it out, and spray the brass with a can of compressed air turned upside-down. It should spray a column of really cold(like -200 degrees) air that would quickly cool the brass and shrink it.

EDIT: Cracking is possible, but provided you are gentle it would probably be fine. This is a last resort anyway.

Edited by analogkid, 13 July 2008 - 02:09 PM.

#7 mrcrouse1

mrcrouse1

• Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:43 AM

I don't know if you've solved the issue yet but if you dipped the part in boiling water as per F_A24 instruction, then quickly take it out, and spray the brass with a can of compressed air turned upside-down. It should spray a column of really cold(like -200 degrees) air that would quickly cool the brass and shrink it.

Chances are that really cold air will also make the plastic crack.

#8 tatertotguy

tatertotguy

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 10:38 AM

Chances are that really cold air will also make the plastic crack.

The plastic could not only crack but this process could make the brass brittle and it could shatter if you tried pulling on it with pliers right after you sprayed it with the really cold air.

Edited by tatertotguy, 12 July 2008 - 10:39 AM.

"So thats when she says, 'No that's my belly button'."

#9 Bullshit Dragon

Bullshit Dragon

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 03:28 PM

Even after trying FA's method, the brass is still stuck. I'd down to having to use a destructive method in order to relieve the tension on it enough to get the brass free. I was thinking of using a dremel with a cut-off bit, but that seems a little excessive. I want to be able to cut it just enough to get to brass free and still have the LS be useable.

any suggestions?

EDIT: Got it unstuck

Edited by Bullet Dragon, 12 July 2008 - 05:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users