Extend Life Of Nitefinder Plunger Head

No need for plunger head reinforcement

8 replies to this topic

#1 Pie Lover66

Pie Lover66

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:14 PM

Hello, This will be my first writeup so I hope this is done right.

What we will be doing is wrapping etape around part of the plunger rod to prevent the loud bang, and possible damage caused by the clash of the plunger head to the little piece that connects to what used to be "the peg".

Here is a diagram I made to hopefully help you understand what we are doing.

Posted Image

As you can see you will have to pull the plunger rod back just a bit, and hold it while you wrap a hefty amount of E-tape around it right against the shell of the gun.

Once that is completed, you can let go of the plunger handle,(duh), And it should look like this...
(Sorry for picture quality. I can't find my camera so I had to use my cell phone.)
Uncocked

Posted Image
The arrow points to the E-tape.

Posted Image
Cocked. (Ignore foot)

Suggestions?

~Pie Lover66

#2 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:21 PM

The tape will eventually start to get peeled back by the shell after repeated use and if it stops the plunger head from hitting the end of the tube it's also cutting down the length of the plunger stroke, which will reduce the range. You should just put some foam sheet or something on the top of the plunger head to keep it from making a loud noise when it hits the end of the tube and if you're not using bands or a more powerful spring it shouldn't do any damage to the internals anyway. It's a good idea but you should find a way to do it that won't shorten the plunger stroke.
SexD Warves

#3 Pie Lover66

Pie Lover66

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:36 PM

The diagram was a little exagerrated to help show it. You only pull the plunger back like 1/8th of an inch. A piece of foam would reduce the movement about the same as this.
Even though the E-tape will peel back after alot of use, it is easy to replace.
This was basically meant to bee a quick fix.
Thanks for the comment!

Edited by Pie Lover66, 07 July 2008 - 06:37 PM.

#4 doubleshot

doubleshot

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:05 PM

I'm pretty sure this shouldn't be a problem for anyone who moved the plunger tube forward. If I remember correctly, it doesn't hit the front of the tube.
92% of people make up statistics. If you're one of the 8% who don't, put this in your signature

#5 Knud-Hansen

Knud-Hansen

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:06 PM

The noise from the nf always bothered me as well, so im glad you're on the right track here. But i agree with NerfMonkey that by putting the etape on there will reduce the stroke of the plunger and ultimately give you less range. not bad for a quick and simple mod tho
[size=4][i]-Knud-

#6 mintee

mintee

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:09 PM

I think the range loss a mod like this would cause is negligible compared to the added longevity of your gun's internals. Certainly got me thinking of ways to do something similar to my LS and Recon. :P

#7 CrazyIvan VI

CrazyIvan VI

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:19 AM

I like this idea better than the craft foam on plunger head idea, simply because after a while, the foam either gets beat up from repeated shootings, and jams in the tube, requiring complete disassembly, and it one case it still blew the front of my Nitefinder off.

Craft foam really just cushions the blow, it doesn't do very much to keep your gun from internally exploding. while you still lose that 1/8 of an inch. This method actually slows or in the best case scenario, keeps the plunger from even impacting on the front of the plunger head, improving the gun's life by hundreds of percent. This solution also can be used on a gun that is sealed up due to a modification and if anything goes wrong with it, it is easily replaced.

Great idea.
I get all giddy when I see VACC browsing a stupid topic. I just know someone is going to get banned.

#8 Pie Lover66

Pie Lover66

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:34 AM

I think Ivan is better at explaining than I am. Thanks!

#9 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 11:41 AM

A piece of aluminum U-Channel cut at an angle to match the back of the nitefinder and glued or screwed to the plunger rod word perfectly. I used to do that because the plunger would slam into the back of my PVC barrel and cause it to eventually pop out.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users