Photo

Nf Help

5 replies to this topic

#1 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 01:10 PM

Okay, I modded my NF to shoot megas. Everything seems like it should work, but the gun barely shoots at all.

Here is what I did:

1. Drilled out both the air limiter and air restrictor.

2. Hot glued a mega-firing barrel onto gun, filed down the insides so it would fit.

3. Used a bead of glue to attach the catch spring to the catch (because it kept annoyingly popping out)

After all of that, it would not fire at all. After I banded it, it achieved about 10 feet. The only thing that might be wrong with it is that I used a relatively loose barrel. I was unsure whether to use a loose or tight barrel on the NF. Even then, it should be getting some range.

Anybody know what's wrong?
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#2 Flantre

Flantre

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:02 PM

You might want to replace the spring and the o-ring to achieve better ranges. With only a barrel replacement and micros I was getting ranges in the mid 30`s, So i would expect for your range to be even lower if you are using megas.

Edited by Flantre, 28 June 2008 - 02:12 PM.

#3 TheNERFArmageddon

TheNERFArmageddon

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:07 PM

Okay, I modded my NF to shoot megas. Everything seems like it should work, but the gun barely shoots at all.

Here is what I did:

1. Drilled out both the air limiter and air restrictor.

2. Hot glued a mega-firing barrel onto gun, filed down the insides so it would fit.

3. Used a bead of glue to attach the catch spring to the catch (because it kept annoyingly popping out)

After all of that, it would not fire at all. After I banded it, it achieved about 10 feet. The only thing that might be wrong with it is that I used a relatively loose barrel. I was unsure whether to use a loose or tight barrel on the NF. Even then, it should be getting some range.

Anybody know what's wrong?

I think that your method was what caused the problem. Every Nf I've seen never required drilling to take apart. Most of the time, once you open it, the restrictor comes right out. I think you may have left some unnnecessary tooling marks that are causing a leak. That's my only advice, i hope you can find the problem.

Additionally, I question the concept of removing the limiter. By removing that, all of the air is pushed directly at the dart without being concentrated. The limiter actually utilizes the Bernouli Effect to speed up the air coming out of the barrel. The larger colume of air being pushed through the small opening makes it necessary for the air to presurize even further, causing more push on the dart.
If at first you don't succeed,
Don't try skydiving.

--Warren Miller

#4 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:10 PM

Well, I removed only part of the limiter, as in PrecisionNerfer's mod. I don't think the spring and o-ring make enough of a difference to actually prevent the gun from firing all together.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also hot glued the outside of the limiter, once again as it PN's mod.

Edited by Ubermensch, 28 June 2008 - 02:11 PM.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#5 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 03:47 PM

Check the seal between the barrel and plunger tube... Thats where your problem most likely is. This happened to me on one of my nfs.

#6 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 07:20 PM

It sounds like its your barrel. Barrel size and material is VERY sensitive to how you're gun shoots. If its scored inside, it'll suck, if it's to big it'll suck, and if its to small it'll suck too. (Something about that sentence seemed sexual...) I suggest using a barrel thats requires no effort to push the dart in, but when you hang the gun danger-end down, the dart shouldn't fall out. Then you know your barrel is good.
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users