10 replies to this topic

#1 Poseidon

Poseidon

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:18 AM

Recently, I took two Nitefinders and put them together like mayhem did here:
http://nerfhaven.com...wtopic=3932&hl=
So, I was wondering if anybody thinks it would be a good idea to attach at shield like object to the side to be used as a deflector (possibly the crossfire shield?). You see, I really liked the manta ray but at the moment I don't have one so I was trying to duplicate its idea with two Nitefinders. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Faith is a living, daring confidence in God's grace, so sure and certain that a man could stake his life on it a thousand times.
-Martin Luther

In Soviet Russia, Mudkipz liek u.

#2 Vishamon

Vishamon

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:27 AM

I would suggest building one of these scaled to fit on top of your double nf. That way you will have a legitimate chance of being allowed to use it in a war.
EDIT: I would suggest reading all of Bags' pontifications before even considering making one. He makes some compelling arguments, and if you are able to ape them effectively, it should further increase the likelyhood of you using your shield.

Edited by Vishamon, 27 June 2008 - 11:29 AM.

QUOTE(VACC @ Dec 8 2009, 08:40 AM) View Post

I think everyone who reads or contributes to this site needs to take a big stap back and reallize we're discussing nerf guns. The fate of absolutely NOTHING important depends on what you, me, or anyone else does

#3 MithMorchaint

MithMorchaint

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:33 AM

I don't see anything wrong with using the Crossfire shield, personally. Just space it off of the gun with some pvc so that your hand fits underneath it and you should be all set.

Unless Crossfire shields aren't allowed at the wars you go to? I don't really know.

Baghead's Manta shell (modified for this use) is, of course, an excellent solution, but it requires a lot of time and materials.

#4 Vishamon

Vishamon

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:38 AM

-snip-
Baghead's Manta shell (modified for this use) is, of course, an excellent solution, but it requires a lot of time and materials.

I think that is generally the point, although the material cost is less than $20, the amount of time and work required is in fact (to my understanding) designed to justify the shield's use.
QUOTE(VACC @ Dec 8 2009, 08:40 AM) View Post

I think everyone who reads or contributes to this site needs to take a big stap back and reallize we're discussing nerf guns. The fate of absolutely NOTHING important depends on what you, me, or anyone else does

#5 MithMorchaint

MithMorchaint

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:42 AM

the amount of time and work required is in fact (to my understanding) designed to justify the shield's use.

If that's true, how do you justify using a real Manta? I don't really buy that as an argument...though I understand the point you're making.

In any case, it is clearly up to Poseidon how much work he feels like putting into it. A Crossfire shield is already appropriately sized and a whole lot less work than making the Manta shell, but also a lot less awesome.

#6 Poseidon

Poseidon

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 05:32 PM

Thanks guys... I really didn't even think of making my own manta shell so that would be a possible solution. But, I'm getting a new crossfire tonight, so I'll probably go with the shield. It might look a little awkward though... so I'd still greatly appreciate any other ideas. I mean, sadly enough, I use generally as my primary so I want it to be useful battle-wise and look cool. (Yes I know what you're thinking, I am a little crazy for using a pistol for my primary...)
Faith is a living, daring confidence in God's grace, so sure and certain that a man could stake his life on it a thousand times.
-Martin Luther

#7 Blasphemy

Blasphemy

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:51 PM

You also have to consider the legality of just slapping a shield on there if you plan on using it in a war. A real Manta Ray on there would of course be completely legal in all wars, a homemade Manta Ray would be legal in most wars, and a homemade shield or retrofitted shield which is not taken from another blaster is not likely to pass as legal in very many wars.
When speaking about a swallow, always make sure you know whether it is an African or European swallow. It is very important.

#8 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:00 PM

As blasphemy said, legality in a war is an issue. In my opinion, any shield should be allowed, as long as it suits a certain surface area limit, which would be based on the surface area of an actual manta ray. In theory. But whatever, just use whatever works best.
I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

#9 Poseidon

Poseidon

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:21 PM

I actually do not play in formal wars. I more just play games with my brother and friends. And, considering I'm the nerf "expert" with my group, anything I say pretty much goes... :D
-Martin Luther

#10 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:40 PM

...Or you could always cut a dart tag vest to the shape of a manta shell... Just saying. The original manta was meant as a shield and to collect other players darts. If you use the vest you can collect taggers and block darts (with more space than a little crossfire shield...). I have a dart tag dart stick to the shield 2 times out of 10... The vest can do it 7/10 times.

#11 Poseidon

Poseidon

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 08:54 PM

Point taken, but at least most of the time I don't use taggers.
-Martin Luther

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users