Photo

Eye Protection

what do you use

44 replies to this topic

Poll: Eye protection

what doe you use

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ultra920

ultra920

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:52 PM

What do you use as protection?

If you chose 4, 5 or 6, post a reason.
There is no Ultra, only a 920.

PSN: ultra920 MGO:ultra920 shoot me an MGO invite if you play

#2 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 05:05 PM

Y'know...I like this. A lot of people have asked at past events what is acceptable...this could be very helpful.

Each option has its pros and cons, of course, but thesee may differ from person to person. For the sake of discussion, here's what I've found:

I started out using a pair of shop glasses, with wraparound sides. Great coverage, but they weren't tinted, and the glare from the sun became a nuisance. So I upgraded to a Cabelas-ordered pair of similar, impact-resistant glasses that were tinted, which I used for quite awhile. They had incredible coverage (the lenses were and still are among the largest I've seen in that style) but that eventually started to bug me. They covered my eyes just fine, but were so large that my eyesight was distorted around the edges because they curled in a little bit, warping everything. Add to that that they got scratched up pretty badly over the two years I used them, and it was time to retire them. Now I use a pair of Oakley wraparounds that cover my eyes completely, and are closer in to my face than the last pairs. Their lenses are a lot smaller than the last pair, but there's still no room for anything to fit around them beccause they sit so close to my face. And of course, they're tinted. Glare is a royal pain in nerfing's ass, in my opinion.

At the last So Cal war we had (NANO) someone almost lost a lense from a pair of prescription glasses they were wearing. Tony shot him dead-on in the lens, and it popped straight out. Luckily, we found it and fit it back in, but then proceeded to find an oversized pair of lab goggles lying around, and put them on his head over the prescription glasses. I don't care if you have "shatterproof" lenses or whatever on your prescription glasses, they don't have side-angle coverage, and they're a huge financial investment to be risking losing/breaking due to a projectile. If those things break, it's GOING to ruin your day, and possibly your eyesight.

There are a lot of types of goggles we see floating around in So Cal, including Nerf's Dart Tag goggles, which are perfectly acceptable as far as we're concerned. Find something that fits and is comfortable so it won't be bugging you all day, but make SURE it can take a hit.
----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#3 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:21 PM

Yeah, I use Dart Tag Goggles/glasses.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#4 flashflint

flashflint

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:34 PM

I too use dart tag glasses. You should add that to the poll.

#5 umdlancer

umdlancer

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:16 PM

I have regular prescription polycarbonate lenses, but they don't provide side protection, so I wear shop glasses over them.

#6 CROW

CROW

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:43 PM

I'm a little surprised, as I'm the only guy who clicked on paintball mask. Any thoughts on why most people don't use paintball masks?
"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

"ah man, I would give you so much for one of those NIB crossbows or one of those crossbows on the floor. The ones on ebay have gone up to $59 and the shipping alone is $12." -Rip32

#7 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 08:02 PM

I'm being completely serious, and I am not trying to make fun of you by saying this, but if you wear a paintball mask to nerf in...you look like a complete twat. The masks are way hotter and stuffier than glasses, they fog up easier and it is unnecessary, for the most part.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#8 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 08:11 PM

I'm a little surprised, as I'm the only guy who clicked on paintball mask. Any thoughts on why most people don't use paintball masks?

slowguitarman beat me to it, but I will reiterate. You look like a douche if you wear a PB mask. Plus, it will attract Johnny Law a lot faster.
I hate you.

#9 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 08:16 PM

I just wear a pair of glasses I found at a sporting goods store over by the airsoft section. They have good coverage, and they're nice and clear. I might need to pick up a tinted pair sometime, though I haven't ever had a problem with glare up here in Washington.

And CROW, a paintball mask is kind of overkill for Nerf. I also find that paintball masks are uncomfortable and have to be readjusted often. They are also very hot and stuffy and fog up easy.

Edited by Retiate, 22 June 2008 - 09:01 PM.

#10 Shadow 92

Shadow 92

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 10:59 PM

I use eyelids.

#11 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:31 PM

I use eyelids.

Don't. Trust me, pick up a pair of eye protection. Risking losing your vision is not worth saving a couple bucks.

#12 bobafan

bobafan

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:41 PM

I use something similar to these:
Posted Image

I don't like the traditional shop goggles.
thaygor: all i remimber is pumping it hard and shooting than trying to pump again

---

<death09>my girlfriend broke up with me and sent me pix of her and her new boyfriend in bed
<ktp753>ouch.
<death09>yeah.i sent them to her dad

#13 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:44 PM

Shop goggles or Dart Tag glasses.

Cheap and tinted or clear. Also, it's nice and easy to keep on, even while running around like a crazy man.
Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#14 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:48 AM

I use my prescription glasses sometimes, but my preference is the impact-rated sunglasses, not only are they safer but they look badass too!

I've also been known to wear a full face shield. I don't care how tough you are, a stefan to the face stings. This thing covers my whole face and make an enormous racket when it gets hit. It makes my head a larger target, but it also makes me more confident about charging around corners. I'm more likely to get hit, but less likely to get hurt.

I would recommend something that provides side coverage, things do go wrong and the more you can protect yourself when they do the better. Eyes are not something that should be gambled.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#15 g-force

g-force

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:58 AM

I use my prescription glasses sometimes, but my preference is the impact-rated sunglasses, not only are they safer but they look badass too!

I've also been known to wear a full face shield. I don't care how tough you are, a stefan to the face stings. This thing covers my whole face and make an enormous racket when it gets hit. It makes my head a larger target, but it also makes me more confident about charging around corners. I'm more likely to get hit, but less likely to get hurt.

I would recommend something that provides side coverage, things do go wrong and the more you can protect yourself when they do the better. Eyes are not something that should be gambled.

I wear high impact work goggles. (Not sure what catagory that is.)
In reply to that paintball mask thing I think that i will only wear one if some one is using a well singled titan or big blast. And if someone is you better wear a cup too.
QUOTE(Carbon @ Jul 28 2008, 03:25 AM) View Post

My god, you actually built it. To that, all I can say is, "bravo".

Chubbs

#16 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:15 AM

How can people even fit these on their faces... they are so tiny :blink:
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#17 ultra920

ultra920

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:27 AM

I don't know how to edit, but i would assume DTG glasses would be sunglasses, because they are just kinda fugly sunglasses. "something weird would be wearing a shemagh over your eyes.

I wear shatterproof sunglasses. For the record, shatterproof does NOT mean ANSI impact rated. ANSI rated is the kind of stuff you would see being used by airsofters or (not 100% sure) military.

Pfft, face masks. I love taking hits to the face. Just makes you feel alive. But I'm sure I'm wearing sunglasses because being hit in the eye and blinded makes you feel dead.

Edited by ultra920, 23 June 2008 - 11:29 AM.

#18 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:19 PM

How can people even fit these on their faces... they are so tiny :blink:

I'm 13.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#19 Shadow 92

Shadow 92

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:56 PM

I use eyelids.

Don't. Trust me, pick up a pair of eye protection. Risking losing your vision is not worth saving a couple bucks.

Seriously, I use a pair of sunglasses. It doesn't really matter though because lately I've been playing with low level guns and special darts.

#20 ultra920

ultra920

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:38 PM

I use eyelids.

Seriously, I use a pair of sunglasses. It doesn't really matter though because lately I've been playing with low level guns and special darts.

It will still do damage. even though its going slow, it will hurt like hell and might do damage to your eye. Its like poking your eye fast.

#21 Bullshit Dragon

Bullshit Dragon

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:42 PM

I use polycarbonate prescription lenses w/ snap on side shields. Welding is my chosen profession, so eye protection is something I take very seriously.
Gimme back my bullets....

#22 z80

z80

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:27 PM

How can people even fit these on their faces... they are so tiny :D

I use them occasionally, and I have a big ass head... They're not that bad...
I also like airsoft goggles, they have good coverage, impact rating and fog protection. I lost mine though, so I switch between DT goggles, sunglasses and a pair of random goggles from a dance show I did tech for awhile ago. (yeah really random and thats why I like em. They flash)

#23 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:33 PM

I used my regular glasses last time, but am not going to again, as I have an UBER strong prescription, so some stuff gets distorted. I now use a cheap pair of aviators as they have huge lenses, get great coverage, good tint, and no glare.

And the look badass.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#24 1313

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:40 PM

Grow a pair. Glasses are for pussies.

#25 Jules Winfield

Jules Winfield

• Banned
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:45 PM

Grow a pair. Glasses are for pussies.

I don't wanna hear about no motherfuckin' ifs. All I wanna hear from your ass is, "You ain't got no problem, Jules. I'm on the motherfucker. Go back in there and chill them niggers out and wait for the cavalry, which should be coming directly."

Edited by Jules_Winfield, 23 June 2008 - 10:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users