Super Soaker Writeup

AMAZING ranges!

10 replies to this topic

#1 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 01:26 PM

Before I start I'd like a to apologize for the huge pictures, Photobucket screwed up and didn't resize them like I thought I had told it to do. SO:

Okay, this is the first time I've ever modified a Super Soaker to shoot Nerf darts, so I did it sort of blindly.

I started out with the Max-D 2000 gun which you can get for about $6.00 at Target. Its about the size of a Maverick, so not too bad.
Posted Image

I opened up the gun. There is a small plastic ring over the pump like on an AT2k that needs to be broken. Once inside the parts are pretty simple.
Posted Image

The first thing I noticed was that the pump was unusually small. So I happened to have a broken AT3k laying around, I took the pump out of it, cut it, and inserted the pressure tube into the pressure tube of the M-D2k.
Posted Image
Posted Image

After that I cut the white plastic piece off of the AT3k pump handle.
Posted Image

I then cut the O-ring piece off the M-D2k pump.
Posted Image

Then I hot glued the 2 inside one another which was a perfect fit.
Posted Image

Now this is the front cone that puts the water into a stream. VERY tiny. Cut the whole thing off.
Posted Image

Now attach your barrel material. I used 11 inch barrels.

It should look like this:
Posted Image

Now, you need to make room for that larger pump we put on, so I cut off a good section of the bottom.
Posted Image

Now we put the pieces back in and it should look like this:
Posted Image

I then took some scrap pieces of plastic I had and glued the pump to the underside of the gun.
Posted Image

Once everything is put together it'll shoot phenomenally! Here are my ranges:

(With out any wind, and shot in grass so there is no dart skip. All tests made with a Stefan dart.)

At 5 pumps: 98 feet :)

At 10 pumps: 164 feet :D

at 13 pumps: 198 feet :blink:

Anything after 13 pumps start going downhill in ranges. :mellow:

This gun after my mod is actually quite practical seeing as you get almost 200 feet for only 13 pumps.

It's also very accurate, I can hit a moving target at over 70 feet. Next I'm going to give it an all black paint job by the end of the week.

Thoughts, concerns, praises, flames, let me know what you think!
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

#2 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 01:38 PM

Nice!
Beautiful ranges, that is kinda better than a titan then. KOOL
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#3 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 01:38 PM

Wow. Just wow. I would have put a couple on this on account of it's low ROF, but those ranges are fucking amazing. You know, there needs to be a Super Soaker Mod Directory. But this is acually the first Soaker write-up I've seen in my 8 months I have spent on the site. Good Job. It seems like a very simple mod overall. I bet if you took an even longer pump, you'd be in buisness. I wonder what kind of potential my Arctic Shock has...
EDIT: And another cool factor, this is even smaller than a mini-titan, and 1/2 the work! :mellow: These would most likely be banned from wars though. Unless you only pumped it five times. It looks a bit unwieldy with that huge barrel. Do you think you could get similar ranges with a shorter barrel?

Edited by Bomberman, 17 June 2008 - 01:41 PM.

QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#4 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 01:56 PM

I used to have the same water gun, and I cut the nozzle off and glued a piece of CPVC to it. It took forever to pump it up, but mine got pretty good ranges, though not quite that good. Water guns have a lot of potential for conversion because they have a higher volume of air than pretty much every nerf gun out there.

#5 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:13 PM

I used to have the same water gun, and I cut the nozzle off and glued a piece of CPVC to it. It took forever to pump it up, but mine got pretty good ranges, though not quite that good. Water guns have a lot of potential for conversion because they have a higher volume of air than pretty much every nerf gun out there.

Very true. The reason most people don't use squirt guns is because the ROF is so little because you have to pump it so much. I highly recommend my pump mod. It takes 4 seconds to pump it if you're quick!

#6 NerfCrazy

NerfCrazy

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:41 PM

Nice mod and ranges. I just saw this at a thrift store and now I am mad for not getting it. :mellow:

#7 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:33 PM

Amazing. And those ranges are un-angled, right?
That's got some serious power...
I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

#8 umdlancer

umdlancer

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:55 PM

Quite impressive ranges. Unfortunately, Nerf darts simply can't advantage of that kind of range. Even a tiny crosswind is going to make a perfectly lined up 150-ft shot go wild.

This is in the category of incredible / awesome mods that you do because you can, not because it's practical or even war-legal.

#9 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:40 PM

Amazing. And those ranges are un-angled, right?
That's got some serious power...

Actually Those where angled ranges, I usually never do level shots, but i just did a level shot and it was about 140-150 feet and 13 pumps.

#10 hierarchy

hierarchy

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:12 PM

Actually Those where angled ranges, I usually never do level shots, but i just did a level shot and it was about 140-150 feet and 13 pumps.

You might want to stop posting angled ranges. Everybody loved your results because they thought they were flat ranges.
QUOTE(Retiate @ Aug 13 2007, 08:43 PM) View Post

I guess you have some heavy duty industrial strength toilet paper holders. Do they advise you to wear eye protection when changing rolls?

My TTG mod.

#11 Texansharpshooter

Texansharpshooter

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:17 PM

Ah, finally. Someone did a write-up on the Max-D 2k. I did pretty much the same thing, except without the bigger pump. I should get around to that sometime seeing that it takes about 50 pumps to prime with the stock pump. Well done!

~Tex
HERP DERP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users